Become a Patron!

Griffin 22 problems?

xkimberlyrenee

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I got the Griffin 22 tank about a week ago, and I'm really disappointed. First, I barely get any flavor, I always end up going back to my dripper. I've tried temp control nickel could which sucked (though they've sucked in everything I've tried them in, but that's another thread) and I've used kanthal. Usually just a 24g dual coil build with 7 wraps. Barely any flavor. Its like vaping plain air (or in other words, breathing)
Second, I constantly get what tastes like dry hits, even though I look and it's not dry or burnt. I've tried countless ways to wick it.
Any help would be appreciated. :)

sychosis

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well first off , welcome to Vu

And on to your issues , could yo post some pics of your wicking , and coils . On the griffin they always say less is more and all the good comments but I will try to explain what works for me .
I almost always use a 3mm I'd coil though 2.5 will do nicely as well here , go with 6 wraps and have them as high as you can go on the posts . Next pull your wick through , not.too tight though because it can choke off at the coil , I have the same issue sometimes , next tuck your wick to the juice wells and make sure your ring is on and there is a little wick protruding below the ring . After you have it tucked in , juice it up and gently pick up the wicks from the hole and set them back down , do this once or twice to get the ends kinda fluffed up . After this , with the wicks sitting down , get a needle or a paperclip and on the outside edge away from coil posts , insert the needle or paperclip into the juice well to open a small hole for venting . One this is all done , carefully put tank back together and you shouldn't have any issues . If you do try to loosen the top fill with juice flow control open and see if you get a bubble leaving the chimney , if so the vent hole needs to be opened a little more , repeat the lift and set. Method and open your vent hole a little bigger .
Hopefully this will help , there is a video here in one of the threads on wicking of this tank I believe @ray2mou has one of the better ones if you can search him . Once I get off work and around a computer I can search and post if you cannot.locat it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

sychosis

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
[quote uid=25228 name="raymo2u" post=919495]Thread your Cotton through...Make it so it has a SLIGHT Resistance when pulled in either direction and clip the cotton so theres a inch left on both sides.<br />View attachment 40121<br /><br />Round the cotton up and then measure where it should be if it was just sitting into the ports, then cut the cotton so it would fit in them without stuffing it in.<br />View attachment 40123<br /><br />Guide the cotton into the ports/ring with tweezers or something flat. Then any cotton hanging out lightly tuck it into the ring. If it feels like the cotton is too tight of pressured in then grab the whole cotton end end lift/wiggle it some to loosen it up. There should be NO cotton showing underneath and should just be cupped by the Ring and Ports!<br />View attachment 40125 View attachment 40124<br /><br /><br />After your cotton is all set I like to raise the ring a full twist or 2 so where the cotton shows from under it that area is widened and higher, this makes it easier for juice to wick.<br />View attachment 40122<br /><br />Now take the Chamber/Barrel and hold it so a hole is over each coil and then push it on, this makes it so the holes are no where near the cotton as it goes down and it leaves the cotton undisturbed.<br />View attachment 40126<br /><br /><br /><br />Someone on a thread told me they kept dryhitting and another person said they were getting leaking so here is some trouble shooting info based on what stemmed from them:<br /><br />Im guessing your stuffing your cotton in tight into the juice ports, the others didnt have enough wick in them...the cotton needs to be light and fluffy where juice makes contact or it chokes it off instead, having it too loose you can use the juice control to close it to prevent leaking...<br /><br />Cut your cotton flush to the ring and use a flathead to LIGHTLY guide it into the port, it should just be cupped by the ring and port. If its bunched up then pull it out and fluff it with your screwdriver and then try again.<br /><br />See how my cotton looks fluffy and not force into the ports? No cotton showing under the ring? Those tips end right after where the ring is and there is about a millimeter between the tips and the juice ledge. You can see the ledge where the cotton should rest on/above if you raise the ring a few twists.<br /><br /><br /><br />If you have problems getting it right then remove the ring, get your cotton cut at the ledge and then replace the ring and the pull the tips up lightly, not enough to pull them out. The better cotton prep you do the better your wicking will be when vaping, pay attention to detail, after you get it its very easy to replicate.<br /><br />Some people have a easier time Watching RIP Tripper Review of the Griffin and using how he wicked his...Skip to 5:40<br />
[/QUOTE]<br /><br /><br />Thanks raymo2u!<br /><br />Just stumbled this thread.<br /><br />Experiencing Dry Hits and AFC leaking at the same time on my Griffin 25. :bomb:<br />Will give your wicking technique a try.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

xkimberlyrenee

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Here's what I have now. ( I know the coils are gunked up, I plan on making new ones later) I made sure the cotton had no resistance when sliding it through, I only have it as long as right below the ring, and I did use something to push the cotton away a little. I was looking up answers before this but nothing helped. :/

Attachments

• 20160714_090854-1.jpg
    20160714_090854-1.jpg
    494.9 KB · Views: 27

kevin littell

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
if your using Kanthal, what wattage have you tried/using. I would think 40-50 tops????

MagicJosh

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I got the Griffin 22 tank about a week ago, and I'm really disappointed. First, I barely get any flavor, I always end up going back to my dripper. I've tried temp control nickel could which sucked (though they've sucked in everything I've tried them in, but that's another thread) and I've used kanthal. Usually just a 24g dual coil build with 7 wraps. Barely any flavor. Its like vaping plain air (or in other words, breathing)
Second, I constantly get what tastes like dry hits, even though I look and it's not dry or burnt. I've tried countless ways to wick it.
Any help would be appreciated. :)
This is the best RTA you will ever buy. The trick is to use kanthal 26 gauge 7-8 wraps on a 2.5 bit. When you add the cotton, add it til it's firm and just place the cotton a small ways below the ring. You will have the juiciest milkiest clouds you will ever find. You must be vaping bland juice. Because If the flavor was strong this tank you will taste it. Try adding extra flavor to your ejuice try Vape WIld you can add extra flavor. Also good luck!

xkimberlyrenee

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
This is the best RTA you will ever buy. The trick is to use kanthal 26 gauge 7-8 wraps on a 2.5 bit. When you add the cotton, add it til it's firm and just place the cotton a small ways below the ring. You will have the juiciest milkiest clouds you will ever find. You must be vaping bland juice. Because If the flavor was strong this tank you will taste it. Try adding extra flavor to your ejuice try Vape WIld you can add extra flavor. Also good luck!
Gotta see if I have 26g kanthal. I've been using 24. And actually I exclusively use Vape Wild. I love their juice. I don't get extra flavor because when I try on my dripper, there's always tons of flavor and if anything is too strong.

mrmoodz

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My Griffin is still sitting in the box. I've been meaning to throw a build in there but I just love rda's so much that I haven't yet.

I have this link bookmarked for wicking tips:

Just a warning, this guy is vulgar but his wicking method seems sound.

Markw4mms

#Team Jimi Supporter
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I run 24GA SS316L coils on mine 3.5 mm ID 9 wraps .24 ohms, and mine tastes great. The wicking is a bit finicky, but once you get it down as stated above, it's a great RTA.

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
see i must be weird

I put the biggest coils i can get in it
currently 4.0 id 8 or 9 wraps
316l 28x2/32ga claptons

put as much cotton as you can possibly put in there
pack the wicking holes as tight as possible and make the wick about even with the bottom of the ring, MAYBE some pertruding some times
no dry hits ever great flavor as good as my petri v2 clone

xkimberlyrenee

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I just tried wicking it the way the guy in that video showed, put my favorite juice in, and it tastes awful. It barely tastes like anything and then there's just a hint of awful. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Markw4mms

#Team Jimi Supporter
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Just curious about a few things. did you clean the tank well before you started vaping it? What juice are you vaping in it? What PG/VG ratio, and nic level?

MagicJosh

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Here are some flavors that pop on the Griffin 25
Straight outta Donuts
Chocolate Mint
Keylime Pie
Taste fab...
Like I said before do not fill the ring with cooton just place it ontop of the ring and leave room for the juice to find the bottom of the cotton and there it will give you lots of flavor....
4zxixz.jpg

xkimberlyrenee

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Just curious about a few things. did you clean the tank well before you started vaping it? What juice are you vaping in it? What PG/VG ratio, and nic level?
I did. I clean it whenever I go to rewick it. I'm vaping Vape Wild's Frappucino flavor. Its 65vg/35pg and it's 3mg. I just tried this flavor in my rda and loved it and it's awful in here.

xkimberlyrenee

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Here are some flavors that pop on the Griffin 25
Straight outta Donuts
Chocolate Mint
Keylime Pie
Taste fab...
Like I said before do not fill the ring with cooton just place it ontop of the ring and leave room for the juice to find the bottom of the cotton and there it will give you lots of flavor....
4zxixz.jpg

Of course I have sample packs of 3/4 of the juices on this site but none of these, haha. I'm trying Frappapow now. Maybe I'll try Shamrocks Irish milkshake next since thats like a vanilla mint.

xkimberlyrenee

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Here's another picture. Sorry about the lighting.

Attachments

• 20160714_205808-1.jpg
    20160714_205808-1.jpg
    596.2 KB · Views: 16

MagicJosh

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Here's another picture. Sorry about the lighting.
The Irish Milkshake is not that great with flavor. I promise I tried it. The 65 Vg 3 Mg's is perfect don't change that.
Your build looks good, but I would change one thing. When You add your coils to the posts try to push them closer to the deck then screw them down. They seem a little too far out and then adjusted to me. But good job. What you wanna see is big clouds with pretty good flavor. Do not expect the exact same as an RDA. Rda is a whole different ball game in flavor. You want something for walking in town and driving and just when you don't want to drip. I prefer the rta tanks over RDA's but that's because I get lazy and don't want to drip all the time. Use your scissors like your cutting hair. You can also take a little off the sides If you wanted to. but make sure its covering the top of the ring so I doesn't leak everywhere. NIce!

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Maybe too much cotton. Not sure. Calling the master. @raymo2u
I agree, maybe 3/4 of that amount would be proficient for wicking, remember that all gets stuffed inside a chamber and that pressure can choke it off. You want the cotton to be untouched or barely grazed whilst putting the chamber on or it may dryhit.

I made a wicking tutorial a while ago, here's the LINK

Some shots to give you idea for what the wicking should look similar to in it.

Alien Wicked.jpg Griffin Alien Build.jpg Griffin Alien Build .jpg Griffin Build.jpg

xkimberlyrenee

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The Irish Milkshake is not that great with flavor. I promise I tried it. The 65 Vg 3 Mg's is perfect don't change that.
Your build looks good, but I would change one thing. When You add your coils to the posts try to push them closer to the deck then screw them down. They seem a little too far out and then adjusted to me. But good job. What you wanna see is big clouds with pretty good flavor. Do not expect the exact same as an RDA. Rda is a whole different ball game in flavor. You want something for walking in town and driving and just when you don't want to drip. I prefer the rta tanks over RDA's but that's because I get lazy and don't want to drip all the time. Use your scissors like your cutting hair. You can also take a little off the sides If you wanted to. but make sure its covering the top of the ring so I doesn't leak everywhere. NIce!
Alright, I'll definitely try all of that out when I rebuild. Thanks for the tips.
I already put the irish milkshake in and it tastes a little better than the frappapow. Maybe I'm just so used to a dripper that I expect too much flavor. I've been almost exclusively been using a dripper for the 2 years I've been vaping. I just kept hearing how great this thing is with flavor and it just doesn't seem great at all. The last tank I tried was the kanger rba and it was great with the flavor but I had so many problems with it and had to return it twice and gave up on kanger. I expected this to be better and I'm a little disappointed, and still feel like I'm doing something wrong. I tried nickel coils too and I've had no luck with nickel in anything I've made coils for. (waste of money for all the nickel wire I bought, hoping it would be great. -_- )

Markw4mms

#Team Jimi Supporter
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I agree, maybe 3/4 of that amount would be proficient for wicking, remember that all gets stuffed inside a chamber and that pressure can choke it off. You want the cotton to be untouched or barely grazed whilst putting the chamber on or it may dryhit.

I made a wicking tutorial a while ago, here's the LINK

Some shots to give you idea for what the wicking should look similar to in it.

View attachment 56521 View attachment 56524 View attachment 56523 View attachment 56522
Thanks @raymo2u

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
ok im so confused
how does the wicking change flavor
its job is to bring juice to the coil
more wick=more juice to the coil which should = more flavor
so why not use as much cotton as you can

MagicJosh

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ok im so confused
Because it will be too tight and the juice WILL NOT go to the top of the cotton. Get It? If you watch some youtubers like DJLSB he always fluffs his cotton I started doing that as well. If your not getting good flavor and big clouds your adding too much cotton and the juice is having a hard time finding your hot spot!

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
honest
Because it will be too tight and the juice WILL NOT go to the top of the cotton. Get It? If you watch some youtubers like DJLSB he always fluffs his cotton I started doing that as well.
honestly no and im not trying to be a dumb ass. that concept just doesnt seem logical to me.
ou build the coil, fill it with as much cotton as possible. the cotton will keep soaking up the juice until it can hold no more. Now if you are chain vaping, maybe i could see an issue . it takes too long for the juice to reach the top to keep up because there is so much cotton.

but i never get a dry hit. i put as much cotton as possible in the coil and shove the ends into the top of the ring

so i really dont understand how less wick could increase flavor. im not arguing or disagreeing i just dont really understand and i want to, because who doesnt want more flavor

MagicJosh

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
honest

honestly no and im not trying to be a dumb ass. that concept just doesnt seem logical to me.
ou build the coil, fill it with as much cotton as possible. the cotton will keep soaking up the juice until it can hold no more. Now if you are chain vaping, maybe i could see an issue . it takes too long for the juice to reach the top to keep up because there is so much cotton.

but i never get a dry hit. i put as much cotton as possible in the coil and shove the ends into the top of the ring

so i really dont understand how less wick could increase flavor. im not arguing or disagreeing i just dont really understand and i want to, because who doesnt want more flavor
lol go for it! I tried to help

MagicJosh

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If you seen how my Griffin vapes you would understand. Its like a clogged drainage pipe

kross8

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Your adding too much cotton.
i was thinking her coil was too thin on cotton,,(i use rayon=designed to move/transport juice). other than thin wicking i think the wick job is long enough.(i run mine a bit longer, but with rayon you aim to lose 50% from the coil to the tail end.

MagicJosh

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
i was thinking her coil was too thin on cotton,,(i use rayon=designed to move/transport juice). other than thin wicking i think the wick job is long enough.(i run mine a bit longer, but with rayon you aim to lose 50% from the coil to the tail end.
Na man not on a rta tank. You need the juice to flow. You just need to cover the the top of the ring so It doesn't leak. Trust me. Watch Mike Vapes He will show you

Maybe on a RDA not an RTA

kross8

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Na man not on a rta tank. You need the juice to flow. You just need to cover the the top of the ring so It doesn't leak. Trust me. Watch Mike Vapes He will show you

Maybe on a RDA not an RTA
i have been running long tails (pretty thin from the ring DOWN) thick at the coil and the thinning begins. (read jeremy's rayon notes for instructions) for some time.. i watch mike vapes,,, he is good,,, dif' strokes for dif folks.. (i was actually in the process of deleting my post when you responded.) -didnt want to clutter the board after i saw a new /dif pic of her coils.

Last edited:

MagicJosh

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
i have been running long tails (pretty thin) for some time.. i watch mike vapes,,, he is good,,, dif' strokes for dif folks.. (i was actually in the process of deleting my post when you responded.) -didnt want to clutter the board after i saw a new /dif pic of her coils.
Hmm. I use cotton and If you choke the juice flow your gonna have dry hits. Common sense my friend. Who cares if it's cluttered. Maybe someone will learn from it.

kross8

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ok im so confused
too much cotton gave me vapors tongue.. i think the 'rules' for wicking with cotton and rayon are dif.

kross8

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hmm. I use cotton and If you choke the juice flow your gonna have dry hits. Common sense my friend. Who cares if it's cluttered. Maybe someone will learn from it.
i dont get dry hits with rayon,,, it moves juice as fast or faster than i vape,,,, cotton cant keep up with me.

ps my adv tank is a griffin clone.

Last edited:

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Wicking wont change flavor but it can hinder flavor if you over do it or dont have enough, thats for certain...changing the actual flavor or increasing it more then having it saturated wont make a difference in how a juice tastes.

Markw4mms

#Team Jimi Supporter
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I wonder if the OP changing to a different drip tip might help her get a little bit better flavor as well?

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
@raymo2u can u explain how too much wick can HINDER flavor
It can choke off juice flow by putting too much pressure on the channels that juice flow through. They are called capillary channels, if you thread the cotton too tight through a coil or into juice ports you effective cut off the supply of juice, this leads to dryhits and faint flavor as there isnt enough juice being vaporized.
This is the easiest way of explaining how it can hinder flavor using too much cotton. In drippers its less common and if you are dripping then too much cotton can actually increase flavor as more of your chamber is taken up from the wicking and this increases the density of the charge, but you wont have as much juice within the wick itself in the coil. In RTA's its a dryhit sentence as you rely on those capillary to draw juice to the coil. The key is finding a happy medium between too little and too much, this will provide the best results.

I hope this helps

Last edited:

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Matt, cotton swells when wet. If you pack so much through a coil, it's gonna get choked off and won't keep up. Roll up a wash cloth, close up a section tightly in your fingers, get the towel wet, let go... where you have your finger clenched around it is still dry. Think coil, too much wicking... dry.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Matt, cotton swells when wet. If you pack so much through a coil, it's gonna get choked off and won't keep up. Roll up a wash cloth, close up a section tightly in your fingers, get the towel wet, let go... where you have your finger clenched around it is still dry. Think coil, too much wicking... dry.
Fantastic example!

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
ok that makes sense
i just rewicked and used much less cotton then normal
but not noticing a different
in fact it is much more cottony tastingn ow
but it needs to break in probably
will see in a tank or 2

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Make sure your hands are clean before touching the cotton and cut off any cotton you do touch try not to touch any cotton that will be used in the coil or you will have the odd tastes you hear about....also try some Cotton Bacon or Native wicks or Rayon for perfect flavor from the first draw....and burn resistance :D

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
ok rewicked a secong griffin using a different flavor used about half as much cotton as normal so im experimenting

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
Make sure your hands are clean before touching the cotton and cut off any cotton you do touch try not to touch any cotton that will be used in the coil or you will have the odd tastes you hear about....also try some Cotton Bacon or Native wicks or Rayon for perfect flavor from the first draw....and burn resistance :D

i try veyry hard to cut off anything i touched
i use the muji pads from amazon
NORMALLY after rewicking
i get a bit of cotton taste for a half a tank or less
sometimes none at all

VU Sponsors