Become a Patron!

HELP!!! vaping for a year but now smoking

Hey guys I need help... I've been vaping for over a year now and I love it. But recently due to income complications... I ran out of juice and was needing some nicotine and got a cigarette off a buddy then once the money was tight for a week I grabbed a pack of cigs (*$11.00) basically because I couldn't afford (*24.18) at the time for juice there was other things that needed attention and 11.00 was still stretching the money I had. Now that I have my situation stable again I find that I am still smoking but I am vaping as well... I seem to have 2-3 cigs a day but in between I'm vaping constantly like I normally do. Basically I'm vaping all day in between smokes. I have tried to stop but I crave the cig like a regular smoker but I cant give up vaping because I love it. I need some advice.

[23 year old]
[Canadian]
[Trying to get my life together after years of being a addict and fuck up]

skiball

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Hey guys I need help... I've been vaping for over a year now and I love it. But recently due to income complications... I ran out of juice and was needing some nicotine and got a cigarette off a buddy then once the money was tight for a week I grabbed a pack of cigs (*$11.00) basically because I couldn't afford (*24.18) at the time for juice there was other things that needed attention and 11.00 was still stretching the money I had. Now that I have my situation stable again I find that I am still smoking but I am vaping as well... I seem to have 2-3 cigs a day but in between I'm vaping constantly like I normally do. Basically I'm vaping all day in between smokes. I have tried to stop but I crave the cig like a regular smoker but I cant give up vaping because I love it. I need some advice.

[23 year old]
[Canadian]
[Trying to get my life together after years of being a addict and fuck up]
I honestly have a cig now and again but haven't had that problem yet. (cross my fingers) But I'd say your best bet would up your nic a little and just stop buying them. For me I only get tempted for a cig at the gasstation or around other smokers. As long as I avoid those i'm good. Hope you stay strong bud.

vuJim

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
This is going to sound trite, but, dude... willpower. That's mainly what it is. That and being committed. If you're not committed or you don't have the willpower to follow-through with that commitment: Nothing anybody can say or do that's going to help you.

I smoked for nigh on 40 years. Quit twice. Third time was the charm. I simply made up my mind I wasn't going to smoke any more and gradually weaned myself off of them. Thing is: I know, from two prior experiences, that, just as an alcoholic can never have that one drink: I, too, can never have that one smoke. Never, ever, again. The occasional cigar: Yeah. Cigarettes? Won't. Go. Near. Them. (TBH: Cigarette smoking smells so nasty to me, most times, now, that I've little-to-no desire.)

Part of your problem, I suspect, is the nicotine. Just give it up. Get yourself back off the cancer sticks, and gradually ramp down the nicotine in your vapes until you're vaping zero nic. I'm told that the physical craving is gone after three days of no nicotine.

TBH: If the nicotine was a problem for me (it wasn't): I would resort to the patch or nicotine gum. Separate the act of inhaling things from the nicotine delivery. Then steadily lower the nicotine levels until I didn't need it any more.

I honestly have a cig now and again but haven't had that problem yet. (cross my fingers) But I'd say your best bet would up your nic a little and just stop buying them. For me I only get tempted for a cig at the gasstation or around other smokers. As long as I avoid those i'm good. Hope you stay strong bud.
I've been off cigs for over a year now. I vape a lot, and sometimes money gets tight for me too. I hate the smell of cigarettes now, and when I know I can't get more juice right away I just limit my vaping as best I can. I also have lowered my nic level to 6 mg. I have found that my cravings are very low when I can't vape. Hoping you can put down the cigs for good.

stevegmu

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Maybe quitting both would be a good idea, if money is that tight...

skiball

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I've been off cigs for over a year now. I vape a lot, and sometimes money gets tight for me too. I hate the smell of cigarettes now, and when I know I can't get more juice right away I just limit my vaping as best I can. I also have lowered my nic level to 6 mg. I have found that my cravings are very low when I can't vape. Hoping you can put down the cigs for good.
Thanks for the support and maybe you should get into diy juice it's really simple. Also it's super cheap like I just stocked up on nic for 20 yrs (nj) for 100$ (it was a black Fri sale and got 37% off). But if you can mix koolaide than you can diy juice.

VAPEROXX

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I agree with @skiball. I'm a disabled retired vet, and money is always tight. I vape a lot and so does my wife. I could no longer afford the juice for a month, so i learned to make my own juice. I buy products by the gallon, make flavors we love, never run out, and safe us tons of cash. Plus if we crave something new, I just spend a few bucks on new flavor, and mix it right up. No more paying 500% mark-up on premium juices.

CgS_Drone

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I still smoke cigs. It's hard to break the habit but I am now down from 1 1/2-2 packs a day to about 3-5 cigs a day. It's hard to vape when working construction and having to wonder if you are going to break/lose your hardware and a pack of cigs sits in your pocket easier. I'm still working on it and understand your situation.

VAPEROXX

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I still smoke cigs. It's hard to break the habit but I am now down from 1 1/2-2 packs a day to about 3-5 cigs a day. It's hard to vape when working construction and having to wonder if you are going to break/lose your hardware and a pack of cigs sits in your pocket easier. I'm still working on it and understand your situation.
May I suggest a vape band for your tank and a belt worn carrying case for your mod?

CgS_Drone

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
May I suggest a vape band for your tank and a belt worn carrying case for your mod?

Getting a tank with metal rather than glass, the problem with carry case is I have to wear pouches and with the tools I carry in a pouch I would break the mod. I have been trying to figure out a way to do it without having to worry about the mod. I have put them in my shirt pocket but they drop out when I bend over and I have broken I don't know how many tips and destroyed a tube mech mod when this happened.

VAPEROXX

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Getting a tank with metal rather than glass, the problem with carry case is I have to wear pouches and with the tools I carry in a pouch I would break the mod. I have been trying to figure out a way to do it without having to worry about the mod. I have put them in my shirt pocket but they drop out when I bend over and I have broken I don't know how many tips and destroyed a tube mech mod when this happened.
Hmmm, I will think and look to see if I can help you with a solution. How about a pouch for your tool belt?

VAPEROXX

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
https://saveonvapes.com/product-category/accessories/carrying-cases/page/2/ look at the bottom of the page. The M4 tactical is a MOLLE mount meaning, it will fit on your tool belt. Very securely I might add. I used MOLLE gear in the Army for years and it never failed me.

dantefire

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
You Vape between smokes... Which makes it sound as though there are a few fairly regular points of time in the day in which you feel you need to have a cigarette. When are those? What is happening directly before and after? Are you able to change something in your routine that could facilitate your urges not being so prevalent?

Think things though, I guess is what I'm saying. There's a reason you want it when you do. Try to avoid that, or substitute a different activity. Or routine.

I smoked for 27 years. Quit I don't know how many times. Never took. Vaping was the final nail in the coffin for my walking away from cigarettes, but the catalyst was my four year old telling me she didn't want to hug me because I smelled bad. But even that didn't make is easy. I had to change routines. I had to create distractions from cigarettes. I. Loved. Smoking. The whole act of it. Lighting up. Inhaling. Exhaling. Hot boxing my car. Flipping a lucky. Loved it. So yeah...it's hard. But it you realllllllly want it, put forth the effort to figure out how to break the routine. Only you can do that.

skiball

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Also this mod is cheap 26$ small prob fit in that pouch also look tuffff and if your into rta's this tank is perfect https://m.fasttech.com/p/3904505 https://m.fasttech.com/p/2405801 def is my next beater

CgS_Drone

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Thanks VAPEROXX and skiball. I well be checking those out.

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
As for the OP, I'm going to pile on with the others who suggest 1) higher nic and 2) a bit of willpower, if you really want to quit. If you're okay with just smoking less, be happy you smoke less - if you really want to quit, try to remember that and consciously grab your vape when you get a craving. Others also mentioned looking for cues that make you want to smoke - the last ones I gave up were the leaving-for-work smoke, the after-meal smoke, and the before-bed smoke...just being aware of your triggers can help you mentally prepare to try to overcome them.

@CgS_Drone - I'mm actually really liking the Nebox I picked up a couple weeks ago - same size as a pack of smokes or smaller, tank isn't exposed except along a recessed liquid window, hits reasonably well. Only problem is the single battery doesn't last me all day unless I can throw it on a USB cable in my truck and use it in passthrough mode at lunch.

skiball

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
As for the OP, I'm going to pile on with the others who suggest 1) higher nic and 2) a bit of willpower, if you really want to quit. If you're okay with just smoking less, be happy you smoke less - if you really want to quit, try to remember that and consciously grab your vape when you get a craving. Others also mentioned looking for cues that make you want to smoke - the last ones I gave up were the leaving-for-work smoke, the after-meal smoke, and the before-bed smoke...just being aware of your triggers can help you mentally prepare to try to overcome them.

@CgS_Drone - I'mm actually really liking the Nebox I picked up a couple weeks ago - same size as a pack of smokes or smaller, tank isn't exposed except along a recessed liquid window, hits reasonably well. Only problem is the single battery doesn't last me all day unless I can throw it on a USB cable in my truck and use it in passthrough mode at lunch.
Isn't it a plastic tank? And irreplaceable?

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Isn't it a plastic tank? And irreplaceable?
That may prove to be a problem - I'm crossing my fingers and keeping it in a pocket without anything else in it. I wouldn't throw it in my bag unless I had a case on it. Even then, with all the screws and nails floating around in random pockets I still probably wouldn't put it in there.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That may prove to be a problem - I'm crossing my fingers and keeping it in a pocket without anything else in it. I wouldn't throw it in my bag unless I had a case on it. Even then, with all the screws and nails floating around in random pockets I still probably wouldn't put it in there.
For me the plastic (heavy) tank isn't an issue, but my ADV isn't tank cracker. I think it's pretty solid, even though it has a few quirks!

skiball

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
My biggest worry would be unknowningly putting a tank cracking juice in it.

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years

Grab one of the old phone cases with a clip on it. I'm not sure what mod etc you're using. But many of the smaller ones will fit in the case easily.

VU Sponsors