Become a Patron!
So I'm looking to use a Turnigy 2.2 (2200mAh, 20C, 44 M.C.D., 11.1V) 3s Lipo to power a DNA 200 chip with a .2 ohm coiled tank.

11.1V /.2 Ohms = an actual discharge of 55 Amps, which exceeds my maximum discharge rating of 44 amps.

Does the DNA 200 automatically protect itself?

I know that I will have a wattage limit of about 100 W, however, doesn't the voltage remain constant regardless of wattage?

Stigma

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
It does have a chip. I would recommend using only Samsung, LG, or Sony batteries

Stigma

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The voltage will adjust itself based on the resistance of your coils and the wattage your set at

Stigma

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I just Googled the battery you're talking about. I definitely wouldn't attempt to connect that to a mod. Are you building a mod?

Rabbit Slayer

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
The fact that you felt the need to create an account here to ask should have told you the answer before you even posted

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
the dna has an inline fuse, if you blow the fuse, you get to deal with evolv customer service. to my knowledge they aren't bad to deal with. But, you still cant use the board while in transit.
why not go check out evolv's website and see what they recommend for a battery?

Evolv recommends a fullymax 900mAh with 27A M.C.D.
I'd like to build something with a better battery than that

So then yes, the DNA 200 will regulate the juice. I am also under the impression that the temp control on the DNA prevents the user from firing at too high a temperature, so that the fuse won't blow, but if it happens I could replace it.

dr_rox

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
There's an entire pdf at evolv that explains how the board works. Look at the spec sheet. Max input current is 23 amps. The battery they recommend is wimpier than the one you want to use, but it is sufficient in terms of available current to operate the circuit @ 27A.

Fuse blows on reverse battery voltage.

If you don't read the spec sheet and manual and understand it, perhaps this project is not meant for you.

One of the biggest advantages of this board is the charging balance circuit that prevents overcharge fires in series battery packs . So understand how it should be wired or you will have issues.

Running a DNA 200 with a 3s 2200mAh 40C rated Lipo

I'm hitting off of a .2 ohm coil

Should I be concerned about anything?? Is there a max safe wattage I should stay under?? Or would it be safe to crank it up?

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
you should be in good shape with a Lipo rated at 40c.
just to be sure I'd run it at 120watts hard for a little while and see if the Lipo heats up. if it gets a tiny bit warm that's fine.
but if it gets real warm you may not want to go any higher.
did you make this mod yourself?

Yeah I built it myself but I'm just worried about stressing the battery if I crank it too high...I'm fairly certain the battery would be fine even firing at 200W but I'd like to be sure before I start testing it at that wattage

Just so you know I personally wouldn't ever vape at 200W but a couple of friends want me to build one for them...I want to make sure they're safe in case one of em decides to fire that high

Last edited:

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Yeah I built it myself but I'm just worried about stressing the battery if I crank it too high...I'm fairly certain the battery would be fine even firing at 200W but I'd like to be sure before I start testing it at that wattage

Just so you know I personally wouldn't ever vape at 200W but a couple of friends want me to build one for them...I want to make sure they're safe in case one of em decides to fire that high
I still think, when in doubt, check out the evolv forum on their website,

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
really cant think of any good dual or single coil RDAs... now that I'm trying to.
magma
freashow
mako/makowar----- love these and are highly underrated!! both will run dual or single. the mako is primarily flavor and the mako war, is a great cloud producer, both are at beyond vape.

vap3r

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
What dr_rox said. The datasheet says it all.

OneBadWolf

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
the dna has an inline fuse, if you blow the fuse, you get to deal with evolv customer service. to my knowledge they aren't bad to deal with. But, you still cant use the board while in transit.
why not go check out evolv's website and see what they recommend for a battery?

You can also replace the fuse yourself if you are able to surface mount solder. its not that tough. I attatched a remote mounted fuse to a DNA200, it works just fine. The only problem I experienced was sourcing the SM fuses in amounts of less than 2000. I managed to grab a few from a friend.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
You can also replace the fuse yourself if you are able to surface mount solder. its not that tough. I attatched a remote mounted fuse to a DNA200, it works just fine. The only problem I experienced was sourcing the SM fuses in amounts of less than 2000. I managed to grab a few from a friend.
true that! a lot of folks aren't really comfortable with that kind of soldering.
that said, does your buddy feel like selling any? lol

VU Sponsors