Become a Patron!

Jimi's Daily Health Articles

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
THE EWG's "DIRTY DOZEN" PRODUCT LIST FOR 2020

Each year, the EWG analzyes a broad range of produce. They note that, "Nearly 70 percent of the fresh product sold in the U.S. contains residues of potentially harmful chemical pesticides." Listed in order starting with the worst, these are the 12 that had the highest amount of contamination:

1. Strawberries
  2. Spinach
  3. Kale
  4. Nectarines
  5. Apples
  6. Grapes
  7. Peaches
  8. Cherries
  9. Pears
  10. Tomatoes
  11. Celery
  12. Potatoes
It should also be noted that though it didn't fall under their "fresh produce" designation, a whopping 99% of all non-organic raisins they tested showed pesticide contamination.

The best solution here is the same as with cosmetics that can be so laced with toxins... try to buy only USDA Certified Organic versions of these 12 fruits and vegetables especially. This means they have been verified -- indepedent of any claims of the growers -- that they are clean and organic.

If you can't buy them organic, then just be sure to very thoroughly wash them.

THE TOP 10 SOURCES OF INDOOR AIR POLLUTION

Polluted air inside homes is a far too little-known problem that is severely impacting the health of millions of people.

The air inside a typical home is between 200 to 500% more polluted than the air outside, and the EPA has ranked indoor air pollution amongst the top 5 environmental risks to public health.

Below are 10 leading causes of indoor air pollution.

1) Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs). These are a wide array of different chemicals such as benzene, formaldehyde, and toluene. They are emitted as gases in the home and come from various solid and liquid products made with synthetic and other chemicals. Some common sources include:

• Candles
  • Carpeting
  • Cleaners and Disinfectants
  • Cosmetics / Personal Care Products
  • Dry-Cleaned Clothing
  • Flooring
  • Furniture
  • House Paint
  • Non-stick Cookware
  • Printers and Other Electronics
2) Bacteria and Viruses. These find their way into homes via many means, such as people coughing or sneezing... via pets... via pests like various bugs and mice... and via dirt tracked in from outside. They can linger on various surfaces, in air conditioning and heating units and vents, and more.

3) Mold. There are over 300,000 diferent types of molds and various types can contaminate homes. According to the CDC, mold is "very common" in homes. Contrary to popular belief, you typically can't tell if your home has mold visually or via scent until the problem gets more extreme.

4) Radon Gas. About 20% of homes in the U.S. have levels deemed too high.

5) Ozone from Appliances, TVs, Computers. Though often thought of as an outdoor pollutant, ozone pollution in homes is unfortunately common. (This is very concerning because it can be quite damaging to lungs, especially in association with other pollutants.)

6) Dust mites, which causes allergies in many people.

7) Pollen, which causes allergies in many people.

8) Pet Dander, which causes irritation and allergy in some people.

9) Tobacco Products' second-hand smoke

10) Natural Gas Cooking Appliances, especially those with no exhaust hoods, which emit nitrogen dioxide, carbon monoxide, and fomaldehyde into the air.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
THE EWG's "DIRTY DOZEN" PRODUCT LIST FOR 2020

Each year, the EWG analzyes a broad range of produce. They note that, "Nearly 70 percent of the fresh product sold in the U.S. contains residues of potentially harmful chemical pesticides." Listed in order starting with the worst, these are the 12 that had the highest amount of contamination:

1. Strawberries
  2. Spinach
  3. Kale
  4. Nectarines
  5. Apples
  6. Grapes
  7. Peaches
  8. Cherries
  9. Pears
  10. Tomatoes
  11. Celery
  12. Potatoes
It should also be noted that though it didn't fall under their "fresh produce" designation, a whopping 99% of all non-organic raisins they tested showed pesticide contamination.

The best solution here is the same as with cosmetics that can be so laced with toxins... try to buy only USDA Certified Organic versions of these 12 fruits and vegetables especially. This means they have been verified -- indepedent of any claims of the growers -- that they are clean and organic.

If you can't buy them organic, then just be sure to very thoroughly wash them.

THE TOP 10 SOURCES OF INDOOR AIR POLLUTION

Polluted air inside homes is a far too little-known problem that is severely impacting the health of millions of people.

The air inside a typical home is between 200 to 500% more polluted than the air outside, and the EPA has ranked indoor air pollution amongst the top 5 environmental risks to public health.

Below are 10 leading causes of indoor air pollution.

1) Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs). These are a wide array of different chemicals such as benzene, formaldehyde, and toluene. They are emitted as gases in the home and come from various solid and liquid products made with synthetic and other chemicals. Some common sources include:

• Candles
  • Carpeting
  • Cleaners and Disinfectants
  • Cosmetics / Personal Care Products
  • Dry-Cleaned Clothing
  • Flooring
  • Furniture
  • House Paint
  • Non-stick Cookware
  • Printers and Other Electronics
2) Bacteria and Viruses. These find their way into homes via many means, such as people coughing or sneezing... via pets... via pests like various bugs and mice... and via dirt tracked in from outside. They can linger on various surfaces, in air conditioning and heating units and vents, and more.

3) Mold. There are over 300,000 diferent types of molds and various types can contaminate homes. According to the CDC, mold is "very common" in homes. Contrary to popular belief, you typically can't tell if your home has mold visually or via scent until the problem gets more extreme.

4) Radon Gas. About 20% of homes in the U.S. have levels deemed too high.

5) Ozone from Appliances, TVs, Computers. Though often thought of as an outdoor pollutant, ozone pollution in homes is unfortunately common. (This is very concerning because it can be quite damaging to lungs, especially in association with other pollutants.)

6) Dust mites, which causes allergies in many people.

7) Pollen, which causes allergies in many people.

8) Pet Dander, which causes irritation and allergy in some people.

9) Tobacco Products' second-hand smoke

10) Natural Gas Cooking Appliances, especially those with no exhaust hoods, which emit nitrogen dioxide, carbon monoxide, and fomaldehyde into the air.

No vape residue on the list?

Just washed several windows today.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hi Jimi,

As we move forward in continued quarantine, and responsibly practicing physical distancing (while remaining socially connected), I want you to know that I'm here for you.

If you were drawn to watch The Need To GROW, it means you believe in the possibility of a better world.

A more compassionate and healthy world.

A world where we look out for each other.

And please know that I'm honored to have someone like you here with me at Earth Conscious Life.

My mission has always been to provide you with accessible solutions to take control of your health, and incorporate habits which contribute to the regeneration of our planet's ecosystems.

If there is a way I can support you in this challenging time, please don't hesitate to reach out.

Note that I cannot provide medical advice or individualized nutritional advice. But, I am more than happy to point you towards resources which may provide answers.

Today...I wanted to share with you some of what I've been learning regarding herbs that have been used in viral situations. I am not insinuating any of these are effective treatments for C0VlD, but they may be helpful plants for you to consider discussing in the future with a qualified practitioner, for a variety of other conditions.

Goldenseal: Goldenseal is a strong antiviral and antibacterial agent especially useful for infection of the upper respiratory tract, mouth, sinus and throat. Its active compound berberine has been shown to have in-vivo antiviral activity against influenza virus and herpes.

Lemon Balm: Lemon Balm is not only a mild sedative and spasmolytic (able to relieve spasms), but is also shown to be antibacterial, antiviral and and antioxidative. The herb is used in preparations for viral infections as well as some pathogenic bacteria.

Cat’s Claw: Active compounds found in the root bark of Cat’s Claw have been shown to destroy abnormal or mutated cells in the body, including that of cancer cells, and cells infected with a virus, making Cat’s Claw a possible anti-cancer, anti-viral, and anti-oxidative herb.

Calendula: Extracts from Calendula flowers have shown potent antiviral activity, specifically against HIV and other viruses. The flower is also used for lymphatic stimulation and as a liver detoxifier.

Oregano: The oil of Oregano has been shown to be a powerful antiviral, anti-cancer agent, anti-candida, and anti-parasitic agent. The herb is used for coughs and inflammation of the bronchial mucous membranes. In Chinese medicine, the herb is used for colds, fever and vomiting.

Echinacea: Echinacea has a long history of use of treating colds, influenza, sore throats, and inhibiting viral infections. Echinacea extracts are commonly used to treat upper respiratory infections, influenza infections, and are reported to significantly reduce symptoms of the common cold. Echinacea has been shown to enhance immune response due to its ability to stimulate macrophage (a type of white blood cell) activity.

Elderberry: Elderberry has been shown in pre-clinical trials to inhibit viruses, especially influenza, and has also been shown to reduce the duration of an illness. The berry is useful for treating colds, influenza, and other viral respiratory disorders.

Juniper Berry: Juniper Berry has shown anti-viral and anti-inflammatory activity and has been used to treat urinary tract infections, kidney infections, and flu infections. Isolates from Juniper berry extract have also demonstrated activity against Herpes Simplex.

Oregon Grape Root: The root of Oregon Grape contains antiviral activity and can also be used to treat urinary tract infections, Strep or Staph infections, intestinal viruses, H. Pylori, and skin conditions.

Thuja: Thuja has strong antiviral activity and is used for immune stimulation and for treatment of bronchitis, influenza, and pneumonia.

This isn't meant to be a complete list. There are so many wonderful plant compounds and much more research is still needed...

My hope for you is that you have access to a holistic, integrative, naturopathic, or functional medicine doctor who is open minded to the potential healing properties of plants.

Be well. Be safe.

Last edited:

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Quercetin vs CoVid19 (Powerful anti-viral properties of this unique nutrient)
https://thenutritionwatchdog.com/quercetin-vs-covid19/
Interesting read and at the end it explains why people taking high BP meds are more at risk for covid 19.

One additional note about blood pressure and blood pressure medications involved in Covid19 risk. As I mentioned above, the Covid19 virus attaches to the ACE2 receptor on the cells. A receptor is like a doorway on the cell.

The ACE2 receptor or Angiotensin Converter Enzyme is a natural enzyme involved in the function of regulating our blood pressure. The coronavirus actually hijacks this receptor to get inside our cells. Many people who have high blood pressure take a pharmaceutical medication in the form of ACE2 inhibitors. This is what helps to lower blood pressure.

When the ACE2 receptor is blocked because of blood pressure medications, your body may actually work around this creating more ACE2 receptors. More ACE 2 receptors may mean that more the Covid19 virus can enter cells. This is one reason why those with high blood pressure may be more at risk for Covid19 infections.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
There’s a pretty good chance you’ve used herbal medicine in your life. Whether it’s chamomile tea to calm your nerves or echinacea to help with a cold, these remedies have been embraced by millions and millions of people.

However, did you know you could easily make herbal remedies in your own kitchen?

Let’s go one step further...

How about making your own herbal medicine with plants that grow in the wild, meaning in your yard or local fields and forest.

A wild remedy can be more powerful than any store-bought remedy. Not only is this medicine virtually free, it’s medicine that doesn’t rely on any supply chains.

Right now, more than ever, it’s important to start thinking about more local solutions. Luckily, there are wild remedies all around us.

That said, this then brings up a lot of questions, such as...

• What herbs can help me?
  • Where do I harvest these plants and what do I do with them after I pick them?
  • Can I can be sure it’s safe?
It does take a little effort to get started, but it’s easier than you think.

If making your own medicine with plants that grow around you interests you, we are showing our docuseries this week.

It’s called The Wild Remedies Docuseries.

Rosalee de la Forêt and Emily Han visited 12 expert herbalists including Rosemary Gladstar, and asked them just 3 simple questions...

1. What are the unexpected ways that wild remedies heal?
  2. What does everyone need to know before harvesting wild plants?
  3. Will we be able to wildcraft forever?
Each episode is just 15 minutes.

We decided to go ahead and make this a FREE showing...

Simply go here to start watching Episode 1 of the Wild Remedies Docuseries.

Our journey starts with revealing a secret ingredient in herbal medicine that every store-bought remedy ever created does NOT include. However, the wild remedies that YOU make will include it every time.

Learn about this missing ingredient right here.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Today's Health Thought:
“When everything seems to be going against you,
remember the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it.”

~Henry Ford

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Food for Thought
mail