Become a Patron!

Jimi's Daily Health Articles

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Jimi, which brand of B 12 would you recommend? Not eating meat for a while now and think I need it. :hug:
I would definitely get a liquid under the tounge type, I use Now or Garden of Life, both work great for me but most "good" brands are going to work.
And Yes I think you are a perfect candidate for being B 12 deficient;):hug:, please seriously consider getting some, especially for the winter:)

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
SeedlessWatermelon_600.jpg

Who-Will-Really-Inherit-the-Earth_600.jpg

texas-vaccine-house_600.jpg

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I was just reviewing some of the footage from the Fatty Liver Docu-Class and I saw something that might interest you...

On day 4, Jay Davidson, DC, PSc.D. reveals what your forehead has to say about your liver.

He says that these common symptoms are all signs of a liver in distress:

• Oily forehead
  • Unibrow
  • Acne between the eyebrows
mail

I know that sounds weird — but I learned about oriental facial diagnosis as part of my macrobiotics studies — and it's been proven over the last 3,000 years.

When there’s an imbalance in the body, the face will tell you there's a problem by showing an imbalance (like acne or extra oil).

The location of these blemishes on the face represent the organ that’s affected.

Well, in oriental medicine the part of the face that corresponds to the liver is the eyebrows.

So if you've got something you shouldn't between your eyebrows (like acne or oil or hair) then you know you have some liver detoxing to do!

Thankfully, the rest of Dr. Davidson's talk is all about detoxing.

When I was younger I was so gung-ho to get rid of heavy metals (from dental fillings) that I took everything I could to detox...

But the symptoms were horrific.

I was wiped out and exhausted — but what really scared the heck out of me was a tingling sensation in my legs — I literally felt like I couldn't even walk!

Well, I don't want you to experience anything like that, so stay tuned (just 10 more days!) for the Fatty Liver Docu-Class where I'll be revealing everything you need to know about safe liver detoxing.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Ann Tried Carrot Juice for Cancer… :):):):)
You Won’t Believe What Happened Next!

What if you discovered that the most basic, mundane vegetable – available in stores and gardens everywhere – could hand cancer a serious setback, and maybe even keep your body cancer-free for years?

Well, the simple carrot is now being purported to do just that. I sent one of my investigative reporters to uncover one of these remarkable carrot therapy stories as well as the brand-new research that reveals hidden cancer-fighting nutrients inside carrots.

Most folks who are diagnosed with cancer will choose conventional therapies like chemotherapy, surgery or radiation. At least until they realize conventional treatment isn’t working against their cancer. That’s when they’ll investigate alternative therapies and seek out the expertise of carefully trained natural doctors.

Others, when faced with the failure of conventional cancer treatment, will choose from a wide array of natural do-it-yourself treatments. That’s what happened with Ann.

The following is adapted from Ann’s book Curing Cancer with Carrots:

When Ann was diagnosed with colon cancer, a surgeon removed 12 inches of colon, some lymph nodes, and a palm-sized area of muscle. Still – even though he “got it all”-- he pressured Ann toward chemotherapy to ensure her colon cancer didn’t return. However, her surgical wound became so badly infected that she couldn’t proceed with chemotherapy.

When her wound finally healed, her new CT scan delivered devastating news – two new tumors on lymph nodes between her lungs. Around the same time, Ann read about the carrot cure for cancer. When doctors pressured her to get chemo, Ann refused. Instead, she bought a juicer and began drinking five cups of carrot juice a day.

Two weeks later, a scan showed that the tumors were growing rapidly. Still she refused chemo. Six weeks later, Ann finally got good news… the two tumors were slightly smaller. After another two months, her CT scan was normal. She took this to mean that she no longer had cancer. But doctors didn’t specify that, so she kept juicing.

Eight months after she’d started, they finally gave her the “all clear.” She’d been given a death sentence and told she’d never survive without chemo and radiation. Yet here she was… pulmonary lymph nodes normal, CT scans normal, and “no sign of cancer.”

Her jubilant celebration took place in July 2013. And she’s still alive today.

So why did the carrots work?

Carrots as a cancer fighter

Turns out, there’s a fair amount of evidence supporting carrots’ unique compounds for fighting cancer.

Two of those compounds – falcarinol and luteolin – have been studied since the early 2000s.

Compound #1: Falcarinol

Falcarinol is a compound found in carrots (and also in celery, parsnips, parsley, fennel, and ginseng) that prevents fungi from attacking the plant’s roots.

Dr. Kirsten Brandt has studied carrots and falcarinol for many years.

When lab animals injected with carcinogens were fed either carrots or falcarinol along with their normal chow, they developed one-third fewer large tumors. (Realize, it’s the big tumors that kill, not the little ones.)

In Brandt’s lab, carrots comprised 20 percent of the animals’ daily caloric load.

The human equivalent is about one-and-a-half pounds of carrots per day.

Ann consumed more than three times that much.

The amount of falcarinol in carrots is incredibly small. One liter of carrot juice contains a mere 13 milligrams of falcarinol. (Picture a quarter-teaspoon. One milligram is one-thousandth of that!)

Compound #2: Luteolin

Luteolin is more well-known and well-studied.

A 2008 study in the journal Molecules summarized its anticancer benefits. It noted that luteolin’s benefits reach far beyond its antioxidant and free radical scavenging abilities.

Luteolin delays or blocks cancer cell development in four ways:

1. Protecting against carcinogenic agents
  2. Inhibiting tumor cell proliferation
  3. Inducing cell cycle arrest
  4. Encouraging apoptosis via various signaling pathways
Luteolin is also found in parsley, wheatgrass, lemongrass, green peppers, celery, chamomile, yarrow, rooibos tea, thyme, peppermint, basil, artichokes, citrus fruits, and green onion leaves.

With a standard American diet, you’ll consume just one milligram of luteolin a day. But five pounds of carrots contain a whopping 75 milligrams.

It’s worth noting that while you could theoretically get these nutrients from a supplement, your body more readily absorbs them from real food.

Would I treat my own cancer with this carrots-only approach? No, it would make me nervous to bet my life on one remedy, mostly backed by anecdotal evidence. I would probably combine it with other remedies.

And I’d consume the amount suggested by the animal experiments (one-and-a-half pounds of carrots, pre-juicing. Maybe as much as two pounds.) I would not be prepared to down as much as Ann did.

I’d also have some questions about the toxicity of vitamin A. The body metabolizes beta-carotene into A – and there is such a thing as too much.

Nonetheless, if you decide to roll the dice on carrots, here are the details. . .

How to use carrots to fight cancer

Buy or borrow a juicer. Key point: A juicer, not a blender!

Get the sturdiest machine you can afford. Cheap ones break down with heavy use.

Plan about 15 or 20 minutes to juice five pounds of carrots.

Some people drink the juice all at once in the morning. Ann spread hers throughout the day.

Buy your carrots as fresh as possible, preferably with the green tops still attached. Break the greens off immediately so they don’t suck out the nutrients.

Lightly scrub the carrots, but don’t peel them or you’ll lose falcarinol, which is concentrated in the skin. Cut off bad spots.

Purple carrots contain more falcarinol than orange ones do (although they’re harder to find).

Avoid carrots that are brown or green around the stem. Brown tops aren’t fresh and green tops are bitter.

Size your carrot pieces to your juicer’s capability.

You can juice carrots by themselves, or spice things up by adding apple, fresh ginger, fresh parsley, or celery. If you’re saving juice for later in the day, use a thermos and keep it covered and dark. Drink it all the same day.

Shortcuts, sugar, and skin tone

Drinking bottled pasteurized juice won’t give you falcarinol, since the heat of pasteurization kills the viable compounds in the juice.

Also, be aware that the beta-carotene in carrots may turn your skin slightly orange. Rest assured that this is harmless and will disappear once you stop juicing.

Some people, especially diabetics, may be concerned about the relatively high sugar levels in carrots. I think their concerns are well-founded. I find carrot juice is very sweet.

If you fall into this category, substitute celery for some of the carrot juice. It can – but doesn’t always – have more falcarinol than carrots. Celery also contains apigenin – a very strong anticancer agent in its own right.

In the grand scheme of things, you’re better off cutting out desserts and baked goods, and getting your sugar fix from carrots instead.

Timing carrots with scans

To track carrot juice-related results, start juicing right after a scan and continue diligently until the next one, so you can see the change.

You may see an improvement in as little as four weeks, but six to eight weeks is more likely.

A word of wisdom from Ann’s book: Even if juicing doesn’t seem to be shrinking your tumor, it may still be hindering its growth. So, before you give up, increase the amount and frequency of your juice consumption.

Avoid an “everything but
the kitchen sink” approach

Consuming this quantity of carrots is a specific medicinal approach. You’re using far more than anyone would normally consume.

Keep the rest of your diet as clean and healthy as possible – very little meat, no processed foods, lots of fruits and veggies.

Living proof is more
important than study results

I would classify Ann’s approach as “fascinating-but-more-study-needed.” There are excellent cancer treatments for which there are no human studies, and I do respect anecdotal evidence like Ann’s, but it still seems like a stretch to advise a cancer patient to put all their eggs in this basket. I’d at least like to see more animal studies on carrots and/or falcarinol.

It takes money to conduct double blind human trials. Drug companies can’t patent a natural compound like carrots. Meaning that such trials will probably never happen.

Interestingly, Ann said that while she was juicing, people who didn’t know she had cancer commented on how vibrantly healthy she looked. (I guess nobody thought she looked orange.) And despite suffering from advanced cancer, she felt unusually happy and vivacious most of the time.

Oddly enough, even after her July 2013 scan showed that all signs of cancer were gone, her doctor still tried to force her into conventional cancer treatments “just in case you have a little cancer to mop up.”

She told him she’d already mopped it up with carrots.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Good morning, everybody.

Some of the stuff they try to levy against red meat is just ridiculous.

Take type 2 diabetes. How does that even happen—what's the proposed mechanism? We've all seen or heard about people with type 2 diabetes who start eating way more red meat and cutting out carbs, and they improve by leaps and bounds. Get off medication, lose all the extra weight, have energy again. Hell, Virta Health is putting people on high-meat, high-fat, low-carb diets and generating powerful clinical evidence that it not only protects against type 2 diabetes, it resolves it.

Weight gain? Sure, maybe "Too much steak will make you gain weight" would have worked 20 years ago, but not anymore. Nowadays pretty much everyone knows that eating more meat (and less other stuff) will usually help you shed body fat, not gain it.

But colon cancer? That's the big one. Because as good as you can look and feel on the surface, as lean as you can get, as much as you can lose body fat and get off diabetes meds and have a new lease on life, no one quite knows what's going on...down there. The notion that red meat causes colon cancer is hard to dislodge. Heck, cancer is one of those things that often seems to strike the ones who you'd never think would get it. It's often a silent killer until it's too late. So it's no stretch of the imagination to think that while eating more meat could improve many aspects of your health, it could also trigger other issues.

But the best evidence we have suggests that this isn't the case.

I dug into this. I looked really close. I looked at the proposed link between heme iron—the "animal" form of iron that's highest in red meat—and colon cancer. It turns out:

• That to give rats colon cancer by feeding them red meat or heme iron, you have to remove the calcium from their diets. A calcium deficiency is required to cause colon cancer.
  • That to give rats colon cancer by feeding them red meat or heme iron, you have to feed them polyunsaturated fats alongside it. Giving a high MUFA oil like olive oil or high SFA oil like coconut oil protects against the cancer.
  • That to protect against heme-induced colon cancer, dietary antioxidants and polyphenols can really help. One study found that giving red wine completely protected against colon cancer in processed meat-fed animals given a carcinogen.
This makes intuitive Primal sense, doesn't it?

Red meat doesn't appear with very much PUFA in nature. The fat that accompanies beef or bison or lamb is primarily monounsaturated and saturated.

Red meat goes very well with cheese. Nothing like a burger patty with some aged cheddar or gouda.

Red meat goes very well with red wine.

Nature always gives hints, doesn't it? It's really quite elegant.

That's it for today, folks.

What are some of your favorite examples of the elegance of nature? Where things just work on every level?

Let me know in the comment section of this week's Weekly Link Love.

Thanks for reading today, and enjoy your Sunday.

Best,

mail

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I’ve got to start eating red meat again, too. I can’t stay vegan, it sucks to eat nut butter instead of meat!!

Being a low carber I eat meat/salad mostly. Some vegies such as spaghetti squash, zucchini and cucumbers. I was a vegan back in 82-85 and ended up really sick. Never again. :) Eat meat! :)

Yes you have to very careful if you true vegan. If you are careful of the meats you buy then you should have meat once or twice a week unless you a specific disease that prevents you for having it:).

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Being a low carber I eat meat/salad mostly. Some vegies such as spaghetti squash, zucchini and cucumbers. I was a vegan back in 82-85 and ended up really sick. Never again. :) Eat meat! :)

I think that’s why I’ve been sick and feeling so shitty lately. I need to get some vitamin B12 and C, and get back to a normal diet (for me.)

I’ve been craving rare red meat, so my body must be trying to tell me something! Thanks. :hug:

How’s the job going, btw? I hope you love it!

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I think that’s why I’ve been sick and feeling so shitty lately. I need to get some vitamin B12 and C, and get back to a normal diet (for me.)

I’ve been craving rare red meat, so my body must be trying to tell me something! Thanks. :hug:

I agree, just twice a week will make a huge difference, just be sure it's clean meats, some people are just naturally low on vit. B12

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Yes you have to very careful if you true vegan. If you are careful of the meats you buy then you should have meat once or twice a week unless you a specific disease that prevents you for having it:).

It’s good because now I have a good source of meat through Local Harvest. I was eating meat like 3-4 times a week, and I think that’s why I switched to vegan for a while. But I feel really blech, so after about 3-4 months no meat, it’s not good for me anymore.

You know, it’s great how people are starting to hang around this thread more and more. I’m really glad! :hug:

Artemis

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years

The job will be okay. So far I only worked one day of "on the floor" training. I have Mon and Tues training days.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
It’s good because now I have a good source of meat through Local Harvest. I was eating meat like 3-4 times a week, and I think that’s why I switched to vegan for a while. But I feel really blech, so after about 3-4 months no meat, it’s not good for me anymore.

You know, it’s great how people are starting to hang around this thread more and more. I’m really glad! :hug:

I like that too, let's me know everyone appreciates good health

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Reduce Your Risk of Dementia
45% with a Brain Game

Your thinking may slow down as you get older, but just as exercise can work wonders for your physical health, a regular workout can boost your brain, too.

In fact, the latest research reveals mental exercise heightens memory so much, seniors can go head to head with those 50 years their junior in mental recall. Mental exercise also dramatically reduces your risk of dementia as much as ten years after completing the brain workout program.

A Little Mental Training Goes a Long Way

Two years ago, the National Institutes of Health funded a major trial into the effects of mental exercise on people middle-aged and older. The clinical trial included over 2,800 cognitively healthy men and women with an average age of 73.

The results show that even minimal brain exercise performed on a weekly basis can dramatically boost memory and reduce the risk of dementia.

For instance, participants performing just ten hours of brain training using a computer game for six weeks reduced their dementia risk ten years later by an incredible 29 percent compared to those men and women who did not perform brain exercise.

In the study, the researchers used a brain game called “Double Decision.” This game aims to improve visual speed of processing – how fast a person can understand and react to the visual information they receive. This is a fundamental cognitive skill that typically slows with age.

Even more exciting, those individuals who continued training with “Double Decision” beyond six weeks received even greater improvements in memory, and, as measured a decade later, were seen to reduce their risk of dementia a whopping 45 percent.

The authors of the study wrote, "To our knowledge, this is the first study to show that any intervention (behavioral or pharmacologic) can lower risk of dementia."

I’m not surprised by the research, considering that many natural doctors have long supported the use of brain games to improve memory and focus. We’ve reported on this topic before, and keep our readers abreast of the latest developments. These new findings are great news for those of us who have a family history of Alzheimer’s. To think that something as simple as exercising your brain on a weekly basis can dramatically reduce your risk of dementia is exciting indeed.

But it begs the question, why are brain games in particular so helpful for improving memory and preventing Alzheimer’s disease?

Researchers looked into the reasons for these remarkable benefits and this is what they found…

Challenging the Brain to Switch Tasks

In today’s plugged-in society where we always seem connected to a smart phone, a laptop or inundated with continuous media coverage of the story of the day, we're more likely to perform two or more tasks simultaneously than ever before.

While I hope you're focused on this article, I have to accept that you may also be listening to music, texting a friend, and checking for new emails in another browser tab all at the same time.

Some experts propose that this kind of multi-tasking has led to short attention spans among children and adults. This might be true. However, it seems that effective multi-tasking also helps stimulate thinking and memory centers in the brain that can help reduce the risk of dementia years later.

Brain Games and Multi-Tasking

Mark Steyvers led a team of cognitive scientists at the University of California, Irvine, in a study on whether brain games could help seniors multi-task more effectively.

They looked at a large number of random samples of adults aged 21 to 80 who played a computer game called “Ebb and Flow” over a five-year period, from 2012 to 2017.

In the game, a group of green or orange leaves appear on the computer screen for just a few seconds at a time.

When the green leaves appear, the arrow keys on the keyboard are used to indicate which way the leaves are pointing, regardless of the direction in which they're moving.

For the orange leaves it's the opposite. The arrow keys are used to indicate the direction in which the leaves are moving, not the direction they are pointing.

This challenges the ability to switch between two cognitive processes: one that interprets shape, and the other, movement. When switching between tasks, the brain suppresses one of these processes while activating the other. In short, you’re training your brain to multi-task.

Personally, I would characterize this as an exercise in focus and concentration, not multi-tasking, but I’ll defer to the researchers, who should know what they’re talking about.

You Can Teach an Old Dog New Tricks

The scientists compared three groups of “Ebb and Flow” players. Those that finished fewer than 60 training sessions; those aged 71 to 80 who carried out at least a thousand sessions; and very active players who trained for thousands of sessions.

Here’s the amazing results Professor Steyvers reported:

“We discovered that people in the upper age ranges who completed specific training tasks were able to beef up their brain’s ability to switch between tasks in the game at a level similar to untrained 20 and 30-year-olds

“The brain is not a muscle, but like our bodies, if we work out and train it, we can improve our mental performance. We show that with consistent upkeep, cognitive youth can be retained well into our golden years."

Dr. Steyvors published his team’s findings in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences in September.

These results really demonstrate that you can grow a younger brain and enjoy an ability to think and process information like someone decades younger.

If you’re interested in trying the brain games used in the clinical research, “Double Decision” is licensed exclusively to Posit Science, and the consumer version is available to the public by subscription on the BrainHQ website, www.brainhq.com. Meanwhile, “Ebb and Flow” is available by subscription on Lumosity, at www.lumosity.com.

I’d suggest incorporating these or some other simple computer brain or memory training exercises into your weekly health regimen. It seems that exercising your brain will turn out to be just as important to your quality of life as you age as exercising your body.

VU Sponsors