Become a Patron!

Kangertech Subtank Mini Burning Coils

Hey!
I just recently picked vaping back up after deciding I didn't like drippers and taking a hiatus.
I have a Kanger Subox Mini with the aforementioned tank and I keep burning my .5ohm coils within a few days.
They're official OCC vertical coils rated for 60W.
I step up the wattage slowly.
I've found and am using the table that adjusts for the innacuracies in the mod.
I've tried the poke-a-hole trick with the cotton.
I'm only running set on 30W once the cotton is broken in.
I regularly cover the airflow to prime the cotton and ensure I don't dry hit.
I'm using 50/50 juice.
Is anyone else having this issue?

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
It's mainly the juice, that is responsible for how long a coil lasts, and at what power you set the mod to.

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Also I've found that Dark sugary juice gunked up coils really fast compared to clear juice like Johnny Milkman.. Like mentioned above, juice choice has alot to do with coil lifespan...

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

My juice is from VapeWild. It's clear and 50/50 and I was running at 30W.
My options are limited for juice and coils take a while to get here. I'm currently deployed to Kuwait.
I really hope it isn't VapeWild's juice, because they take care of soldiers.

Bucky205

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I run my Kanger Subox on 17-25 watts, .5 ohm, 80/20 juice. Anything higher and it will burn the cotton and dry hit. Any device suffers from the same physical limitations. When there is not enough juice for the heat being produced, it will dry hit and burn the cotton. Some people will put a needle through the cotton in an attempt to allow more juice to flow in. Basically your'e producing more heat than you have available juice for. The opposite effect is what I call a slurpee, this is when you have more juice than the coil can turn into vape, and you get very wet hits. Being in Kuwait, don't throw your coils away. You can put new cotton in them. Since you seem to like the higher watts, when you replace the cotton, use less cotton and stuff it very loosely so more juice can flow in.

eSMOKA

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The problem with KT OCC coils is that the cotton is too dense. I use them for convenience when it's needed and with my Nanos. Beyond that, nothing makes this tank shine better than the RBA (Plus) when wicked properly. Without it, the STM would be almost worthless IMHO.

Bucky205

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hey!
I just recently picked vaping back up after deciding I didn't like drippers and taking a hiatus.
I have a Kanger Subox Mini with the aforementioned tank and I keep burning my .5ohm coils within a few days.
They're official OCC vertical coils rated for 60W.
I step up the wattage slowly.
I've found and am using the table that adjusts for the innacuracies in the mod.
I've tried the poke-a-hole trick with the cotton.
I'm only running set on 30W once the cotton is broken in.
I regularly cover the airflow to prime the cotton and ensure I don't dry hit.
I'm using 50/50 juice.
Is anyone else having this issue?
LOL, This was an afterthought. I used to take a Toll RDA and use it on my Kanger as a dripper when I was just sitting around vaping. When we were going out I would screw the tank back on. It obviously couldn't perform as well as 100+ watt MOD. But it did pretty well.

---AWC/AW USN ret.

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I prefer the 1.2 ohm horizontal coils myself, running 70/30VG (easier rebuild).
But certainly not at 30 watts, more like 12-15.
They can be rebuilt horizontal or vertical, many you-tube videos show how.
The 1.2 ohm OCC coils have a removable top that makes them a bit easier to rebuild IMO.
You'll have to experiment with it to get the vape you like best.
If you can do rebuilding, that is.
And the RBA head is another decent option.
(denser cotton seems better suited for higher PG, well, at least it will wick better anyway)

eSMOKA

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The 1.2 ohm OCC coils have a removable top that makes them a bit easier to rebuild IMO.

Not anymore. All the KT OCC coils are now in v2 which are vertical coils and are one solid body.

2010103-6.jpg

However, I have read forum posts that show you how to rebuild by removing the bottom. But looks like a PITA.

I have like 10 packs of the old v1 OCC coils for my nanos. Glad I stocked up.

mikeyboy74

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I've been using the new Kanger SOCC stainless coils, which are round not square, with fairly sweet 70/30 vg pg. While rated to 60w, I find they are bearable around 34w max. I notice a slight metallic taste (not quite burnt but close), but I notice that on my Crown SS coils too, so it might just be my reaction to SS. At 34w, the SOCC are roughly equivalent to the regular square OCC at 28w. Also, Kanger has new Clapton coils, rated to 70w, available for these tanks. I have a box, but not yet tried them. Not sure if wattage is an issue, other than to say the ratings are extremely overstated for many but not all prebuilt coils. Mosts shops here will sell a coil at a time, so someone can experiment without much investment. There are some exceptions.

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Not anymore. All the KT OCC coils are now in v2 which are vertical coils and are one solid body.

2010103-6.jpg

However, I have read forum posts that show you how to rebuild by removing the bottom. But looks like a PITA.

I have like 10 packs of the old v1 OCC coils for my nanos. Glad I stocked up.

I got some of the old style from Ebay:D.

MysticRose

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I've been using the new Kanger SOCC stainless coils, which are round not square, with fairly sweet 70/30 vg pg. While rated to 60w, I find they are bearable around 34w max. I notice a slight metallic taste (not quite burnt but close), but I notice that on my Crown SS coils too, so it might just be my reaction to SS. At 34w, the SOCC are roughly equivalent to the regular square OCC at 28w. Also, Kanger has new Clapton coils, rated to 70w, available for these tanks. I have a box, but not yet tried them. Not sure if wattage is an issue, other than to say the ratings are extremely overstated for many but not all prebuilt coils. Mosts shops here will sell a coil at a time, so someone can experiment without much investment. There are some exceptions.
Have you tried the claptons yet? I want to try some, and can't decide whether to get these or the gclapton coils.

mikeyboy74

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I did try the Kanger Clapton. Maybe slightly better flavor than the SOCC but the differences are so small between the three 0.5 Kanger coils that I'd say they're interchangeable. Clapton sweet spot about 30w, vs. 28w on the OCC and 34w on the SOCC.

I tried the G Clapton's in an Arctic and an Atlantis 2, but was not a fan. Narrow wattage range, long break in, etc. Not sure if those for the Kanger are any better.

MysticRose

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I did try the Kanger Clapton. Maybe slightly better flavor than the SOCC but the differences are so small between the three 0.5 Kanger coils that I'd say they're interchangeable. Clapton sweet spot about 30w, vs. 28w on the OCC and 34w on the SOCC.

I tried the G Clapton's in an Arctic and an Atlantis 2, but was not a fan. Narrow wattage range, long break in, etc. Not sure if those for the Kanger are any better.
Thank you for the feedback!

Bucky205

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I've done a few. Here's a video. Getting the cotton the right density is the challenge.

VU Sponsors