Become a Patron!

Making a leather sleeve / case for your mods

magnetik

Member For 4 Years
I'm a new member and new vaper so I apologize if this is in the wrong forum.

I've been lurking but learned a lot from this forum and have seen others ask for leather cases. I do leather work as a hobby and have made things like sheaths, holsters, wallets, etc.. Vaping gave me something else to practice on.. I just want to state in advance that leather work is a hobby and I am by no means an expert. I am also not selling anything.. this is a diy tutorial for those that want to try a relatively easy leather project.

I wanted something for my mods since they're pretty heavy and slick.. I kept on feeling I was going to drop it by accident every time I picked it up. Well.. I despise silicone and it's really hard to pull out of pockets sometimes and nothing really feels as nice as leather, imo.

Mods grip perfectly in the hand now. This method should work for most box mods.. not the funky shaped ones.. even then you can wet mold to get the shape into the leather. I use a ball end pen set for this.. makes it much easier to get detail.

Svv1Xoi.jpg

Tools/Stuff needed:

3-4oz veg tanned leather
xacto knife or similar
hole punches / awl
ruler and / or soft tape measure
sewing needles (blunt, large enough for waxed thread)
waxed thread
colored oil dye
sponge or wool dauber

Sorry I didn't get more pics and the order is kinda confusing.. I didn't think of it until I had already stitched up the side but you can get the gist. Also it would be a good idea to remove the batteries before you start. If anyone has any questions lmk.

1. measure outside diameter of mod, then the height. Cut a piece of leather to match size. (my cuboid turned out about 5"x3.5" I think). Cut a little taller if you want to be able to curl the bottom (to prevent the mod from slipping all the way through) However, I found that once you wet mold and press fit the mod and let dry, that it works like a sleeve and only comes out if you press from the ends.

2. On the vertical ends of the leather, mark and measure stitch holes down the length's edge. punch holes down both sides. Stitching wheels work well but you can just measure evenly spaced holes with a ruler.

3. use a sheet of paper over your mod to determine where your holes (for screen, buttons, etc) and trace. Cut layout from sheet and place on your leather. punch/cut holes. Afterwards makes sure they line up on your mod.

Also note if you have a DNA200.. there is a PDF available with the button / screen layout. Make sure you print to scale.

4. Stitch both sides together. You can look at youtube videos if you don't know how to stitch but I just criss crossed all the way down and melted the ends.

things should look sorta like this..

20160131_144936.jpg

20160131_144945.jpg

5. Spray down or dampen the leather and let sit for about 5 min. repeat until it's pliable.

6. Press fit the leather sleeve over your mod. (wrap the mod in saran wrap to protect from moisture) It might take some stretching to get it on but wet leather will stretch a little.Leave some leather at the bottom so you can curl around the bottom edges if you want to protect the bottom of the mod. Personally I like it open on the Cuboid so I can change batteries easier. The sleeve has enough friction to not slip off unless your are pressing from the ends. Line everything up and let dry overnight.

things should look sorta like this..

20160131_152522.jpg

20160131_152440.jpg

8. Now is the time to dye. (or just put a finish on) You should be able to remove the mod once dry by pressing down from the bottom while lightly holding the sides. I used Fiebings oil dye. Oil dye is less splotchy imo. Dyeing isn't rocket science.. basically use a sponge to dye, then do it again after it drys until you get the color you want. You can thin the dye also with denatured alcohol. Once dry.. rub down with leather protect-ant (and to prevent color bleed)

20160131_154733.jpg

20160131_154933.jpg

sorry I don't have final pics after putting a final finish to it.. an officer buddy I showed it too. took it. lol

here's something I made for him in response.. :)

20160203_194402.jpg

Last edited:

BigCryBaby

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
That is wonderful. Thank-You for sharing. I am going to order the leather on eBay and give it a try. If it is worthy I'll take pictures and share my creation. You should sell on eBay. You know what may be cool, just thinking out load, a zipper where the stitches are.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Thanks for the info I am too cripped up but gonna try to get wifey to give it a try

magnetik

Member For 4 Years
That is wonderful. Thank-You for sharing. I am going to order the leather on eBay and give it a try. If it is worthy I'll take pictures and share my creation. You should sell on eBay. You know what may be cool, just thinking out load, a zipper where the stitches are.

I've been trying to think of something other then stitching (like snaps) but felt that it would scratch up the mod. Keep this in mind if you try and use a zipper!

please post pics if you give it a whirl.. if you have any questions, lmk.

BigCryBaby

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I am getting a stamp for the leather. Do I wet the leather, wait, then stamp it ?
Thanks
Matt

magnetik

Member For 4 Years
I am getting a stamp for the leather. Do I wet the leather, wait, then stamp it ?
Thanks
Matt

yup. since it's lightweight leather it shouldn't take much more then dampening. You're just trying to get it moist enough to get a good imprint. Just tap it a with a mallet.

magnetik

Member For 4 Years
for anyone wonder how to create the stencils.. this is how I do it. I use light chipboard. Like from a cereal box. The Reuleaux was actually easier since all the holes were symmetrical and the button layout was available for the dna faceplate. I kinda guesstimated at the side vent holes.

20160206_121527.jpg

I also planned on dyeing it black and mahogany.. but grabbed the wrong bottle. oops. as I said.. I'm no expert. lol

20160206_122559.jpg

20160206_122616.jpg

20160206_125244.jpg

Last edited:

magnetik

Member For 4 Years
Your work is so beautiful. It is truly art.
Matt

dunno if I'd go that far. heh but I do think leather work is a lost art form. More people should try it.. the sleeves are a lot easier then some of the other projects I've attempted and failed at. lol time consuming yes.. but not too difficult for the beginner if you have the right tools.

magnetik

Member For 4 Years
this was the color I was wanting originally before I accidentally grabbed the black. :) I also have chocolate, dark brown, and saddle to experiment with. I made the fire button hole a bit bigger to accommodate my fat fingers. I was just thinking.. leather would probably be a bit safer then a sticker if your batteries did decide to gas out.

20160207_114316.jpg

example of curling the bottom.
20160207_114344.jpg

20160207_114352.jpg

playing with colors
20160207_113221.jpg

chuckpie85

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I would love one of these for my rx 200 anyone interested in making a few bucks in exchange for an rx 200 leather sleeve?

magnetik

Member For 4 Years
I've been thinking of picking an RX up.. trying to find a broken donor first since I already have a DNA and don't really need another mod. heh

magnetik

Member For 4 Years
next victim.. this one should be easy and took only a small piece of leather.

20160208_192555.jpg

experimenting with upholstery leather. Maybe red stitching?

20160207_140049.jpg

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Oh that minivolt is gonna be a lil badass!! I love mine. Do the red stitching!! I wanna see.

magnetik

Member For 4 Years
my buddy said I should have put lanyard holes for the mini-volt.. good idea. need to remember that.

if anyone wants to try their hand at leather work.. the mini-volt is a perfect project for the beginner. I literally had it from what you see in laid out in the pic to what is in my hand in 15 min. The dye isn't even dry yet. lol

20160208_213941.jpg

20160208_222334.jpg

20160208_222222.jpg

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Though leather isn't so much my thing, I can see how great these are, and your natural talent working with leather.

In all honesty, you should sell them. You do great work, and I can see a demand for your work.

magnetik

Member For 4 Years
Here's an easy one, same method as the others. A tank protector w/ ejuice window for those that despise rubber bands. Only takes a small strip of leather, box cutter, awl, dye (or use predyed leather) thread, needles and a ruler. A hole punch if you want to round the port window.. otherwise cut square. I made the window a little too big because it kinda bowed out when press fitting it on while damp. I will try making them smaller next time or cut two smaller windows. Also need to shorten it a bit to clear the vents or cut a port of some sort.

20160211_223108.jpg

kanger mini w/ lanyard

20160211_222212.jpg

first attempt at dyeing text. I cut a vinyl stencil with a silhouette cameo.. the adhesive discolored the leather a bit when I peeled it off. learning experience.. will use something like shelf paper next time. I also think a camo pattern would look pretty sweet.. will have to try that one next.

20160211_225932.jpg

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
You have some great skills with leather. I really like your work.

magnetik

Member For 4 Years
cut out the ports for the vent on the tank protector and decided to use dark brown this time. now the only part exposed is the drip tip. I can also still remove the top to refill and the window is lined up with the juice ports on the griffin. I also made the window smaller.

20160214_205101.jpg

better pics of the vapor shark. not mine but do think I need to get one now. lol

20160214_181655.jpg

20160214_181708.jpg

Last edited:

magnetik

Member For 4 Years
ok.. took a stab at lettering again.. I think I need an airbrush to use acrylics right. too splotchy. Also found it much easier to use a small table top hole punch instead of a mallet. The holes cut are a lot cleaner and more precise. Just fyi. I also fixed the usb cutout stencil since the pic.

Some of you may get the "steam" reference. lol

20160222_200449.jpg

20160222_193804.jpg

magnetik

Member For 4 Years
here's probably the only armored Panzer dna in existence. :) When I talked earlier about using a ball end pen set to bring out details.. here you can see what I'm talking about.

20160227_121242.jpg

most likely the next victim.. Artery Nugget. (mini-volt for size comparison)

20160310_173713.jpg

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
here's probably the only armored Panzer dna in existence. :) When I talked earlier about using a ball end pen set to bring out details.. here you can see what I'm talking about.

20160227_121242.jpg

most likely the next victim.. Artery Nugget. (mini-volt for size comparison)

20160310_173713.jpg
Very Cool. Didn't know these were already available.

magnetik

Member For 4 Years
Very Cool. Didn't know these were already available.

not as cheap as originally expected since it comes with a tank I'll never use but I wanted another nano sized mod. My biggest complaint is battery life but carrying another mod + tank seems more appealing when you can fit both mods in your palm.

12823347_10207583153070562_3712773991870598766_o.jpg

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
not as cheap as originally expected since it comes with a tank I'll never use but I wanted another nano sized mod. My biggest complaint is battery life but carrying another mod + tank seems more appealing when you can fit both mods in your palm.

12823347_10207583153070562_3712773991870598766_o.jpg
What tank does it come with? I saw these on Mod Envy the last couple weeks and they look great! Tyger gave them good reviews.

magnetik

Member For 4 Years
I went back and redid the tank protector again.. it was too difficult to see juice level with the smaller ports.. so doubled them up and made them bigger. I can see all the way through the other side now.

20160317_192718.jpg

20160317_192636.jpg

magnetik

Member For 4 Years
You're totally a Cowboy at this stage. So how many PM's have you received, LOL!

actually not too many here.. however I posted to my local vape group and didn't realize all the local shops frequent there. A couple of them have been getting my practice fodder and I've been getting some credit for stuff I have on preorder. I made the mistake once of posting to Reddit and the Reuleaux group.. was getting messages from all over. haha

magnetik

Member For 4 Years
instead of making a case for a Nugget (edges are too sharp).. I'll make a case for four. I've been needing a safe way to change flavors on long road trips.. Going to make loops so I can hold the tank and bottom would rest on the little ledges. Not sure really so if anyone has any ideas.

I'm also experimenting with vinegaroon.. an old process of turning leather black by chemical reaction. Pretty neat.. the leather turned black almost instantly after dipping. Plus it won't rub off like dye and I can still wet mold it after neutralizing in a baking soda bath. You make it by soaking 4/0 steel wool in heated distilled vinegar until the wool is dissolved. Haven't tried it on a finished piece yet but going to experiment soon.

Here's what I have so far..
20160411_195556.jpg

VU Sponsors