Become a Patron!

Maximizing flavor on the Kayfun 5 - tips from a dripper

Ishkabibble

Gotta eat the lettuce
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Greetings all!

Figured I get a post on here for anyone else in my position and hoping to help those who are in a similar situation I was in. For those who never really got into dripping, or vaping at high watts, my experiences might not be relevant to you.

I mainly vape lower build drippers and occasionally my Reload RTA, until I finally sank the cash into a Kayfun 5. I've been hunting the ultimate flavor machine without compromise to vapor production for quite some time. I think I have finally found it with the Kayfun 5, but not without initial struggles.

For those of us with ADD and have already started losing interest here, my personal preference for the Kayfun 5 is as follows:

Coil: Fused Clapton - 28/36 Nichrome
Inner diameter: 2.5mm
Coil Height: 2.5 - 3mm above the airflow
Ohms - 0.5
Wattage Used: 35w
Airflow: Wide open (4 dots)

Starting off with the Kayfun 5, I tried following the general populace with putting in simple coils that came out to around 1 - 1.5 ohms. The vape was fine, but was lacking punch for me. I gave it a week or so to try and get used to it, but something was missing. Probably because I was used to a pretty heavy vape coming from high wattage devices. I know everyone says the Kayfun 5 isn't designed to compete with that type of vape, but I prefer a dense flavor explosion no matter what temperature and build. I just gravitated towards drippers and higher wattage to try and bring out that lip smacking flavor.

I figured I would try to build something a little warmer, and so the struggle began. I only use Nichrome80 as my body prefers it the best, so your results may vary if using a different wire. All results below are for slightly lower ohm builds around 0.5 ohms. These results and observations might not apply for higher ohm builds:

Cotton

General - I cut the cotton just above the black o-ring above the juice flow channel. No jamming of the cotton in there. If you can't fold it to where it practically slides down in place with a GENTLE nudge, it's too much! Also once juiced I usually gently nudge one side of the cotton over a bit to expose one of the juice flow holes.

Cotton Bacon v2 - Must be thinned out at the tails, and can be tough to get it right using a 2.5mm ID sometimes. Found you need to wick less than normal. But when it's right, it's the tits!

Japanese Cotton - Starts out great, but chain vaping can cause burnt taste. Tried thinning tails, not thinning, loose, tight, same result. If using JPC / Muji, be careful with chain vaping. For some reason I tend to chain vape the Kayfun.

KGD Gold - Mixed results, once saturated it's great but is pretty dense and tends to easily inhibit juice flow IMO. Really need to move the cotton to one side on the channel so you don't choke it.

Rayon - Utter failure for me - very difficult to keep the strands straight enough to get in the channels for me, tried probably 10 builds and watching countless videos on Youtube. Would start off kick ass, then 5 or so vapes later it was garbage. Still experimenting and tips welcome.

Winner - Cotton Bacon v2 - very forgiving, wicks fast, only downfall is that it can be tough to get the right amount using a 2.5mm ID coil.

Coils

General
- For these lower builds, you have to raise the coil up or else you will get dry hits. The larger and hotter the coil in this Kayfun, the higher the coil needs to be raised. I'm not saying jack it up super high, but I've found looking at the screw dead on, I should see the bottom of the coil line up with about the top of the screw.

Twisted coils - very spitty, flavor was okay, but didn't make anything really pop for me and was generally very "poppy".

Single Claptons - Great if they didn't gunk up after a day. Worked best if spaced. Hence why I moved to fused claptons for coil longevity.

Fused Claptons - Winner winner chicken dinner. 3mm ID is a little wide for decent airflow, so for me 2.5mm ID is the sweet spot.

Parallel coils - Ended up being pretty long and thus can get pretty warm on the ends of the coil. Didn't have great results.

Standard coil not spaced - No flavor pop for me, flavor was good but just not smack yo mama good. However it wicked like a champ.

Standard coil spaced - Not much of a difference for me compared to a non-spaced simple coil.

Winner - Fused claptons by far! They don't gunk up quickly, just make sure to raise them a bit!

So if you are looking to get a dense flavorful vape out of the Kayfun 5, are used to lower ohm builds, and are struggling to get your $120 investment to behave, hopefully the above tips help out. Again this is just what suits me, but to put it into perspective, I've vaped on pretty much all Wotofo tanks, Petri, Kylin, Ammit, Reload, and countless other RTAs and I've got my Kayfun 5 kicking the shit out of all of them.

Can't really compare to dripping as it's a different ball game all together, but I can vape on my Kayfun all day long without missing my drippers and that says a lot.

Hope this helps and tips and recommendations always welcome!

Last edited:

eStorm

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reddit Exile
For what its worth and since I don't own the kaifun 5, but switched from cb2 to kcg, fluffing it out more than any other cotton, nearly making it transparent when holding against light, and then rolling it up does make a difference. I do agree its more dense, need less cotton than with other brands. kcg works best on physical contact as I call it, meaning that priming this cotton the first time should be started with the middle or coil itself.

Pour a good amount of juice right over the coil and fire it, due to the pressure and heat it will suck right into the coil, rinse repeat 4-7 times depending how thick your juice and cotton is, by now you should see the sides that stick out of the coil getting saturated. If so, now get juice over these, with needle nose tweezers carefully poke that cotton, again that's why I call it on contact cotton, it will suck right in and not lay on the top.

This will also prevent break in and by the time you put the dripper cap or RTA on top, it should be very saturated and ready to go, without even the slightest hint of cotton taste.

I'm sure you know how to wick and I'm not making this post as an insult, please don't take it that way, only sharing my experience with kcg because its harder to get right. But if you love cb2 and it works for you, by all means possible stick with that :)

Ishkabibble

Gotta eat the lettuce
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
For what its worth and since I don't own the kaifun 5, but switched from cb2 to kcg, fluffing it out more than any other cotton, nearly making it transparent when holding against light, and then rolling it up does make a difference. I do agree its more dense, need less cotton than with other brands. kcg works best on physical contact as I call it, meaning that priming this cotton the first time should be started with the middle or coil itself.

Pour a good amount of juice right over the coil and fire it, due to the pressure and heat it will suck right into the coil, rinse repeat 4-7 times depending how thick your juice and cotton is, by now you should see the sides that stick out of the coil getting saturated. If so, now get juice over these, with needle nose tweezers carefully poke that cotton, again that's why I call it on contact cotton, it will suck right in and not lay on the top.

This will also prevent break in and by the time you put the dripper cap or RTA on top, it should be very saturated and ready to go, without even the slightest hint of cotton taste.

I'm sure you know how to wick and I'm not making this post as an insult, please don't take it that way, only sharing my experience with kcg because its harder to get right. But if you love cb2 and it works for you, by all means possible stick with that :)
No offense taken man! Love hearing feedback regardless if I'm right or wrong or there is something I can learn.

Yeah that's what I do with KCG, feel like I have to kick it in the ass, practically flood the air holes, cuss at it for wanting more juice, repeat. Once it's primed correctly it's good stuff.

What I have noticed though with it in the Kayfun 5 is the next day it's pretty beat up, more so than CB2. Maybe I haven't gotten the amount quite right with the KCG as I'm still experimenting with it. It might be because I have to use less in the Kayfun 5, and since it tends to clump and stay put, perhaps the juice wells are retaining a mini pool of juice that can get a little stag after sitting overnight? Who knows!

I know how to wick some days, and some days it seems cotton doesn't want to play nice, or I've got shit to do and rush things so by no means am I perfect wicker lol.

eStorm

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reddit Exile
No offense taken man! Love hearing feedback regardless if I'm right or wrong or there is something I can learn.

Yeah that's what I do with KCG, feel like I have to kick it in the ass, practically flood the air holes, cuss at it for wanting more juice, repeat. Once it's primed correctly it's good stuff.

What I have noticed though with it in the Kayfun 5 is the next day it's pretty beat up, more so than CB2. Maybe I haven't gotten the amount quite right with the KCG as I'm still experimenting with it. It might be because I have to use less in the Kayfun 5, and since it tends to clump and stay put, perhaps the juice wells are retaining a mini pool of juice that can get a little stag after sitting overnight? Who knows!

I know how to wick some days, and some days it seems cotton doesn't want to play nice, or I've got shit to do and rush things so by no means am I perfect wicker lol.
I cut my tails shorter because of that clumping, especially with high sweetened juices, and then thin the tails out by a lot, so that they just hang or slightly touching the decks or channels. You would assume its leaking but nope, by the time its saturated its much thicker than other cotton, can be good or bad tho lol.

I don't share the experience with having to switch it often, in fact I can go up to 13 days with the same cotton, and nearly instantly switch flavor profiles. Not that somebody should go that long, but you know sometimes everybody gets busy or lazy lol. Cb2 on the other hand, every 2 days longest I went was 5 days using a unflavored diy base since I had to test it anyways lol.

Ishkabibble

Gotta eat the lettuce
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
I cut my tails shorter because of that clumping, especially with high sweetened juices, and then thin the tails out by a lot, so that they just hang or slightly touching the decks or channels. You would assume its leaking but nope, by the time its saturated its much thicker than other cotton, can be good or bad tho lol.

I don't share the experience with having to switch it often, in fact I can go up to 13 days with the same cotton, and nearly instantly switch flavor profiles. Not that somebody should go that long, but you know sometimes everybody gets busy or lazy lol. Cb2 on the other hand, every 2 days longest I went was 5 days using a unflavored diy base since I had to test it anyways lol.
Alright just re-wicked and tried thinning the shit out of it and followed your advice, will see what happens!

MacTechVpr

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Beautiful parallels man! What RDA is that? I just wasn't a fan of them in the Kayfun 5 is all.

A Comp Lyfe battle deck. The build, a tensioned microcoil parallel with twisted leads. The method produces the uniform natural (Kanthal) oxidation you see. It fires end-to-end, not inside-out, with equally uniform output temp at these specs…

24x2P 9/8 Ø2.8mm=0.2025Ω 20.7A|87.1W
24x2P 8/7 Ø2.8mm=0.1812Ω 23.2A|97.4W

img_2070a-jpg.103272

And it vapes as good as it looks.

This is the most productive and coolest output I've ever configured. Even cooler (for the watts) than most of the smaller variable or mech builds I've done. When I say cool, think vaporization efficiency. How much real vapor not just diffusion (heating) of it, you're getting but both!

I've dropped a few notes re these on ECF over the years. An ex for the KST below.

Strain is in everything we build. Control comes from managing it.

Good luck. :)

Last edited:

VU Sponsors