Become a Patron!

New here.

Hello!! I am new here.
I joined other vape forums too, so I can get advice.
What vape are you currently using? what is good for beginners?

Kranky Kanger

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Welcome to VU! I have 3 mods that I use regularly, Kanger Tech Top Box Mini, a K Box 200, and a Geekvape Aegis. The Aegis is my favorite. But that is likely not much help to you. What is good for beginners depends on the beginner. Things like the reason you want to start vaping, to quit smoking or just for fun, what you want the rig to do, and what type of set up you are looking for. Do you want a box mod with a separate tank, an all in one set up, a pen style with a separate tank, or a pod system like the Surion or Bo One. The simplest systems are going to be the pen type and pod systems. A little more info would help a lot with recommendations for yoiu. :)

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
I've always used regulated mods with external batteries. Never owned a built in battery. Didn't start with kit(s). I've only bought 1 kit, after I had already been using sub-ohm and it came with a regulated mod.

Even tho the price of some kits may be appealing, imo quitting smoking requires more than throwing a little change at it. Something that has AF(air flow) adjustments and power (wattage) adjustment, and uses juice you can buy in a bottle so you can choose your ratios, means you have many different vape producing options all in one setup.
ie, you buy a $20 kit and it doesn't work for you/you don't like it, so you get what seems better, say a $40 one and that one doesn't cut it either. There's nothing you can do about non ajdustable starter kits and you just spent enough on those 2, to get one that can mimic what those 2 kits did - plus more, because you have control of adjustments. And, your not strapped to buying from limited juice selections, pods, or proprietary what-nots to keep it going, which is expensive.

Because it mimics a cig, my first 8 months was MTL Nautilus tank w/ single 18650 regulated mod @ about 12w.
I currently use rebuildables. It's been a while, but Nautilus is still great to start out with. I first sampled flavors for one that I liked. I think FDA (if in US) doesn't allow free sampling any more, but don't quote me. I'ts at least very cheap, as in change, to sample if you find the right b&m. I also started with the equivelent of nic that my cigs had, and moved down.
The tank, or vape delivery(business end I'll call it), is of the upmost importance. Getting power to is is easy.
As you can see, my opinion is to not first shop kits - which leaves all other products out of the stop smoking equation. Buying mod and tank separately also means you can just change tanks for a different experience if/when you want.

Last edited:

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hello!! I am new here.

Since cig-a-likes didn't cut it for me, I went with the Innokin VV3 to get started on vapes and quit smoking. The tanks use a proprietary tank and coils that you just unscrew and replace. It's about as simple as you can get.
It has an internal (built in) battery you charge with the micro USB port, with pass-through charging, so you can puff while it is on the charger.
The down side is that when the battery no longer holds a decent charge, you have to replace the whole device, but you can save the tanks and coils to use on another device.

Then, there are affordable devices such as the iJoy 100W mini rdta box, with a built in tank, and built-in battery. If you opt for one, you can learn about wicking and building your own coils, instead of depending on proprietary ones that may be hard to find.

PoppaVic

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well, it's hard to advise anyone w/o data. And, I'd never bother advising someone who never smoked anyway.

Funny how no one mentions kayfuns anymore, for MTL. No idea why not.

Hell, there may even be a MTL thread, but without a tree-view, I'd sure never find it ;-)

I'm not sure there is any reason to blow more than $50 for any device - and I've pretty-well decided you can expect to expend that at least yearly on HW. Double it, with atomizers, wire/coils. More than likely triple or quadruple it when you factor in ejuice.

rolltidevaper

Still here! Just covered up with "life"
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Hello!! I am new here.
You have already received some good advice in the post above. I think you will find this is a forum community that doesn't judge, but will freely share our experiences. I have been vaping for 4+ years now. I was a pack a day smoker for over 15 years. I had tried "cigalikes" a couple of times with no luck. I finally got an Ego Style Pen kit with 24mg juice. After the first vape I knew that was going to work! It took me about 2 weeks of dual using and one day I tried to smoke a cigarette and it was horrible. I haven't turned back. My advice to a new vaper is don't get caught up in all the vape "hype". You'll have plenty of time for that. If you're moving from smoking to vaping I would get a very simple MTL (Mouth to lung) tank, such as the Nautilus (but there are many others) and a simple mod. Please ask any questions on here. This community is very willing to help. Good Luck!!!!!

PoppaVic

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Funny, I paid $100 for a pre-order Russian 91% in years gone by, but I can see clones for under $20 on Gearbest and Fasttech. Certainly they are clones, but they work well - I've had at least 2 over the years.
  1. $9 v2.1 mini,
  2. $13 mini v3 plus,
  3. $14 Lite Plus,
  4. $10 Pawn,
  5. $18 v4,
  6. $16 V5,
  7. $18 v5.2,
  8. $14 Prime (v6),
Now, granted they are not Authentics, but most of them are certainly usable and reliable. The only thing here is: must coil and wick. Certainly not a huge issue, unless of disabilities - hand/eye issues.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Funny, I paid $100 for a pre-order Russian 91% in years gone by, but I can see clones for under $20 on Gearbest and Fasttech. Certainly they are clones, but they work well - I've had at least 2 over the years.
  1. $9 v2.1 mini,
  2. $13 mini v3 plus,
  3. $14 Lite Plus,
  4. $10 Pawn,
  5. $18 v4,
  6. $16 V5,
  7. $18 v5.2,
  8. $14 Prime (v6),
Now, granted they are not Authentics, but most of them are certainly usable and reliable. The only thing here is: must coil and wick. Certainly not a huge issue, unless of disabilities - hand/eye issues.

I too have an old Russian 91% from days gone by - and it doesn't hold a candle to most of the newer MTL RTAs

Last edited:

AKmtnvapor

Member For 1 Year
I’m a fairly new vaper myself, and started out on a pen style fitted with a MTL Nautilus tank. I enjoyed it, however having to charge the battery with a cord, and not having a display to tell me how much battery I had left got old real quick. I found that for myself, ease of use was one of the most important things. Leaving the house and having my battery die half an hour into my day was a real “drag” ha ha (I’m so sorry lol) And with all the battery safety stuff I was just learning about, I didn’t want to leave it plugged in overnight. Anyway, I invested in a 50 dollar regulated box mod kit and a sub ohm tank (and LCD screen) and some extra batteries and have never looked back. I always have 2 batteries charged and ready to go to swap out, and this means I never have any excuse to go buy a pack of smokes.

Anyway that’s my 2 cents. Finding the right setup is important, like other folks have said, but don’t forget to make the transistion as easy and hassle free on yourself as possible!

(OH, and I’m using a Smok Procolor 225W topped with a Fireluke mesh tank. The coils last FOREVER and are tasty to boot)

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
something restricted to start with it the way to go for a lot of people especially because trying to get over the mouth to lung experience can be quite difficult ....I know of a few people I’ve helped get off the stinkies where I’ve thought a device was perfectly suitable and they were coughing like a gooden ...in the end it took a MTL to help them and they were perfectly happy with that.

Having said that I helped plenty of people go straight for the cloud chuckers and get on with DL straight away although I’d say pick something that has adjustable airflow and a mod that has adjustable settings to dial it all in....I wouldnt have quit the cigs myself with a tootle puffer or a mod I couldn’t have dialed (in fact I wasn’t able to) took me something with a lot more plumage to get over that initial hump. It wasn’t until later I was able to dial it back and enjoy lower wattages.

Everyone is different though and until you get a few under you belt and tell us what you don’t like there’s always the risk you choose something that might not be suitable first time - and imo this is where B&M shine cause you can try things first as long as they don’t try the hard sell.

Pens can be really good as well (although some are a lot better than other in terms of quality and reliability) , I’ve used a pen type device and still use it...A friend at work had my other one and it worked for them really well ...no settings just press the button and go for it.

I would say this

1st grab a decent mod straight away (I don’t mean go by cost here but reliable) and don’t necessarily trust the advice of a B&M take away thier advice and research the options before you buy. I can’t stress this enough, we see so many people with issues cause they were sold a POS

2nd try a couple of atomisers restricted and adjustable see which type you prefer (if unsure go for restricted one first)

Last edited:

VU Sponsors