Become a Patron!

new regulated Pulse 80w w/ Gene chip

fozzy71

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Got one on the way. Glad so many people like it. Can't wait to have another regulated mod. Just sold my inbox, have the Therion but want something a little smaller

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
I think you will like it. I have 2 that I run in TC mode most of the time but they give a good VW vape as well. I will be buying 1 or 2 more regardless of if I do or don't buy the pulse mod.

stanglifemike

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Got one on the way. Glad so many people like it. Can't wait to have another regulated mod. Just sold my inbox, have the Therion but want something a little smaller

Cool, I think you'll really like it!
I think you will like it. I have 2 that I run in TC mode most of the time but they give a good VW vape as well. I will be buying 1 or 2 more regardless of if I do or don't buy the pulse mod.
I've been using mine solely in TC mode for the last month or two. I was actually surprised how well it does TC, the HM chip seems to do a really nice job!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

minimag03

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
After busting my drag back out and putting a Dead Rabbit clone on it with a single AVS TRI-CORE FUSED CLAPTON COILS 316L SS 28GX3/36G / 3MM / 5 wrap = 0.24 ohm coil in TC mode I am rethinking buying this mod. I set it to 80w preheat and cranked it all the way up to 475f and it isn't even close to as warm as my RSQ are at 430f/55w with a 0.35 ohm build. I guess I had forgot how well the Gene chip performed in TC mode. I will try and rebuild it this weekend with a plain round wire 24ga dual coil build (and maybe a single coil build of some sort as well) and see if it performs better when not using fancy premade multi-core/strand coils.

I'm surprised it's not working that well with a single coil at .24, even though its a very beefy coil. I've had trouble with duel coil TC on the Drag but nothing single coil, cause 80w should be plenty to heat that thing up. Have you adjusted the TCR yet? I cannot remember what the suggested number was for the Drag but I do remember the stock setting was way, way off.

And a side note, if you're a fan of AVS triple core, I'd suggest trying their smaller gauge (it was sold out last time I checked though). I enjoyed it a lot more than the 28X3. Their standard fused clapton that's wrapped in 40g is my favorite wire to use for TC on the Drag though.

fozzy71

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm surprised it's not working that well with a single coil at .24, even though its a very beefy coil. I've had trouble with duel coil TC on the Drag but nothing single coil, cause 80w should be plenty to heat that thing up. Have you adjusted the TCR yet? I cannot remember what the suggested number was for the Drag but I do remember the stock setting was way, way off.

I don't think I ever played with the TCR when I used to run dual coil RTA's like the boreas and billow v3+ on it but I will have to look up their silly TCR numbers again and see if that helps. I am sure I will end up with a Pulse 80w either way as even if I can't get a good TC vape I don't mind squonking in wattage or power curve mode. I did try the temp curve on that DR/AVS build the other day but that wasn't helping either. It just seems way cooler than it should be but if I can find that TCR conversion chart/thread over on ECF (or was it on VU?) hopefully that will help.

And a side note, if you're a fan of AVS triple core, I'd suggest trying their smaller gauge (it was sold out last time I checked though). I enjoyed it a lot more than the 28X3. Their standard fused clapton that's wrapped in 40g is my favorite wire to use for TC on the Drag though.

Yeah, a few of the things I bought I wanted in different gauged combos but they were out, and still were last time I looked. This is what I got for my first order:

minimag03

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Wait, so is the mod itself supposed to be set at 1113 or 920?

This is why I aint like usin no TC, I don't want to have to use no brain-parts to git my mod to wurk.

fozzy71

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Wait, so is the mod itself supposed to be set at 1113 or 920?

This is why I aint like usin no TC, I don't want to have to use no brain-parts to git my mod to wurk.
I took that to mean that the 'actual' is what someone (whoever made that chart) other than Voopoo/Gene recommended, or converted the Gene values to. I tried 920 and it was anemic, way worse than the default 1300. I set mine to 1600 for SS mode and 1800 for the TC (TCR) mode based on what I read in that ECF thread I linked to above the image and it vapes better for me now in the 430F range at the same 80 watts. I can't tell a dif between the 1800 and 1600 TCR values when I switch modes on the mod with 3 clicks. It still feels a little cooler than my RSQ at 430F but that RSQ is also a higher ohm build with a lower watt preheat (and I have 22mm atty's on my RSQ while I am using a 24mm atty on the drag).

fozzy71

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
This color? I'd love to see one too
925dc11f5d0a0de9f214d67384c942b4.jpg

nice choice in colorway

stanglifemike

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
I am using a 24mm atty on the drag).

Yea, the chamber size of the RDA makes a big difference in temperature. If I put identical builds in my Ghoul(22) and Dead Rabbit(24), the DR stays MUCH cooler than the Ghoul. It's mainly due to the fact that the Ghoul has a shorter chamber than the DR, even though there overall heights are similar on the exterior. I have to turn up the temp on whichever mod has the Ghoul on top, otherwise they're constantly hit "temp protected" throughout each puff

fozzy71

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yea, the chamber size of the RDA makes a big difference in temperature. If I put identical builds in my Ghoul(22) and Dead Rabbit(24), the DR stays MUCH cooler than the Ghoul. It's mainly due to the fact that the Ghoul has a shorter chamber than the DR, even though there overall heights are similar on the exterior. I have to turn up the temp on whichever mod has the Ghoul on top, otherwise they're constantly hit "temp protected" throughout each puff

yeah, i need to pick up some more 22's and a couple more rsq's if I can't wait for the pulse, and maybe a couple more DR 24 clones since they are so cheap. All my mech squonks (and the drag) have 24's with single coil builds and the 2 x rsq have my only 2 x 22mm atty's so I suppose the first thing to do is get some more 22's if my regulated squonk mod collection is going to grow.

Ralph_K

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Should have made this 21700
I took that to mean that the 'actual' is what someone (whoever made that chart) other than Voopoo/Gene recommended, or converted the Gene values to. I tried 920 and it was anemic, way worse than the default 1300. I set mine to 1600 for SS mode and 1800 for the TC (TCR) mode based on what I read in that ECF thread I linked to above the image and it vapes better for me now in the 430F range at the same 80 watts. I can't tell a dif between the 1800 and 1600 TCR values when I switch modes on the mod with 3 clicks. It still feels a little cooler than my RSQ at 430F but that RSQ is also a higher ohm build with a lower watt preheat (and I have 22mm atty's on my RSQ while I am using a 24mm atty on the drag).
From what I can tell 1300 is for SS316 but 1113 for SS316L. I tried 1113 b/c I use SS316L and it seem better

stanglifemike

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
yeah, i need to pick up some more 22's and a couple more rsq's if I can't wait for the pulse, and maybe a couple more DR 24 clones since they are so cheap. All my mech squonks (and the drag) have 24's with single coil builds and the 2 x rsq have my only 2 x 22mm atty's so I suppose the first thing to do is get some more 22's if my regulated squonk mod collection is going to grow.
Which 22s are you looking at?
The Ghoul is my newest 22, and I highly recommend it. It's awesome! I was torn between it and the Nudge 22 (the Nudge is 24), and decided to get the Ghoul. I'm gonna get the Nudge 22 also, though, because the Ghoul reminded me how good the flavor is from a properly designed 22

fozzy71

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Should have made this 21700

From what I can tell 1300 is for SS316 but 1113 for SS316L. I tried 1113 b/c I use SS316L and it seem better
thx for the suggestion. i just tried 1113 and avs claims my wire is 316l but that seems really weak vs 1600 or 1800.

fozzy71

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Which 22s are you looking at?
The Ghoul is my newest 22, and I highly recommend it. It's awesome! I was torn between it and the Nudge 22 (the Nudge is 24), and decided to get the Ghoul. I'm gonna get the Nudge 22 also, though, because the Ghoul reminded me how good the flavor is from a properly designed 22

DR SQ and Pulse 22 is what I have so far. I prefer top-airflow so far so I don't have to worry about over squonking and/or spit back. I watched a few reviews of the Ghoul but having to set the coil that low to get side/bottom airflow to actually hit the coil doesn't make sense to me. Until I find something else I like that is top-down post-less style mounting like the DR SQ or Pulse 22 that grabs my interest I will just be getting spares of those 2 that I know I like in some other colors.

stanglifemike

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
@fozzy71 Oh ok, that's cool. Yea, you wouldn't like either I mentioned then since they're both bottom airflow. Bottom airflow is what I usually go for since they give better flavor. But I'll admit the Dead Rabbit gives great, great flavor! It does an amazing job the way the top cap angles the airflow down so it hits below the coil. With it's high airflow slots, you get great flavor without worrying about it leaking. The flavor from the DR SQ isn't anywhere as good as the DR though, not even close! The coil being in the center instead of the side next to the airflow just kills the flavor. You'd think they'd be similar in flavor, at least a little bit, but the flavor from those two is so different it's crazy.

fozzy71

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@fozzy71 Oh ok, that's cool. Yea, you wouldn't like either I mentioned then since they're both bottom airflow. Bottom airflow is what I usually go for since they give better flavor. But I'll admit the Dead Rabbit gives great, great flavor! It does an amazing job the way the top cap angles the airflow down so it hits below the coil. With it's high airflow slots, you get great flavor without worrying about it leaking. The flavor from the DR SQ isn't anywhere as good as the DR though, not even close! The coil being in the center instead of the side next to the airflow just kills the flavor. You'd think they'd be similar in flavor, at least a little bit, but the flavor from those two is so different it's crazy.

Yeah, I think I like my DR 24 (clones) better than the DR SQ but I haven't yet put the same build in them on the same mods. Once I get a few more regulated squonks I will be able to figure that out for sure. Same goes for the Pulse 22 vs Pulse 24 I think, but I only have 1 of each of those and the 24 is on a mech with ni80 while the 22 is on the rsq with ss in tc mode...

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Thanks for this info.

eStorm

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reddit Exile
Just to chime in quoting this from the voopoo drag review Anthony did a while back, that should help when in doubt :)

"Using SS wire in SS mode (and TCR setting at 1400 which is wear it fared best) , The mod did a great job. The output at all temps was smooth and consistent. It protected from dry hits and did a good job of sucking out juice before cutting off. With the normal test builds (dual spaced SS316 28g and single spaced SS316) the performance was fantastic. It feels it hits a little on the low side about 20 degrees lower. I found it best 400-480 depending on your preference. 500 is the max before the vape starts to get way too hot. 550 will start to burn your cotton a little. With my big fancy single coils builds during my normal usage, I found the vape to be very good as well ramp up was fast and output was smooth. A very enjoyable vape. The one drawback though is the 80 watts limit which it won’t even reach with really low ohms. When you drop down below the .2ohm with large fancy coils, the watts never went over 45 watts. Meaning ramp up was non existent and took forever. Not a great vape. It’ll still protect you but the lack of a ramp up makes it not good in this situation. So overall I’d say the temp control on this device is mostly really good, the 1 exception being with big dual coils under .2 ohm the ramp up just isn’t there. The 80 watt limit which won’t use the full 80 anyway in this situation makes it a no go. All other situations though it’s great. As long as you don’t have too large of builds at too low of resistances and 80 watts can preheat your build, the vape is great. It gets a pass overall from me as most people will fit into these limits."

Here's the actual link to the review : all credits go to Anthony
http://vapingunderground.com/threads/anthony-vapes-voopoo-drag-review-and-tech-test.329798/

CapVanillaCustard

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
TLDW of the video

• When they started designing the Pulse 80 Vandy Vape had a regulated chip in development that they wanted to use. Tony B wanted the Gene chip.

• VooPoo had access to the design of the mod.

• VV and VooPoo had a contract for 40k chips at an agreed upon price.

• On the last day of ECC a well known vendor came up to Tony and said he knows at least 3 other companies that have tried to work with VooPoo, and at the last minute VooPoo tried to pull out or raise the price by 15-30%.

• VooPoo was supposed to deliver the chips just before CNY, or just after.

• After CNY VooPoo came to VV and said they want 15% more for the price. Vandy Vape agreed to the increase. This resulted in versions without bottles to still offer a lower priced SKU.

• VooPoo stopped responding to VV's messages saying they agree to 15% increase.

• VV sent somebody to VooPoo's factory to figure out what's going on. VooPoo assured them everything is good, they'll ship out the chips and thanked them for the extra 15%.

• Shortly afterwards VooPoo contacted VV again and said they're raising the price again by another 15%. So 30% off the original agreement. Tony B & VV agreed and they started thinking about releasing a lower cost version with the VV chip after shipping out 40k units with the Gene chip.
-----------------------------------------------------------
  • Tony B says through a source he found out a week ago that VooPoo is designing a 80W squonkers themselves. He claims VooPoo saw all the buzz around Pulse 80W and decided make a squonker of own than simply be the chip supplier for the Pulse 80w.

• Tony claims Voopoo was just stringing them along, stalling production so Voopoo can be the first to market. Once VooPoo's mod is out they could then completely back out of the deal saying Pulse 80w competes with VooPoo's product.

• Tony claims a top exec for VooPoo claimed Pulse 80w resin panels look just like the Drag panels, and VV was copying Voopoo. The exec said people might think it's a VooPoo mod. According to Tony VooPoo claims they have a patent on the resin.

• Tony also claims that VooPoo had their employees posting on Tony's posts promoting the Pulse 80w, saying the mod looks like the Drag, and VV is copying VooPoo.

• In this matter Tony says both VooPoo and VV sourced the resin panel from the same third party. Tony offered to source resin from a different company or not use resin all together, to which VooPoo didn't respond.

• VooPoo then sent emails to VV urging them to give up on the Pulse 80w, saying it can't compete with VooPoo's offering.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
  • Vandy Vape's chip has been in development for a year and it's gonna be used on the Pulse 80w now.

• Tony has tested the chip, they have other projects in development with that chip

• The chip will be ready to go when the Gene chip was supposed to arrive. He didn't say it but it seems like there shouldn't be any more delay past the current mid april dates.

• The mod is gonna cost less now. At least $10 less

• No DNA chip because of cost.

• Tony has a version of the Pulse 80w with the VV chip on the way to him right now. He will do a video mid next week.

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Is messed up but I won't be throwing my drag away.will affect the ones that planned on buying but after the mech pulse I know a few that will stay away. And this probably isn't the first time this happened in vaping. Sucks though. Tony b just getting the shaft all around. Mech was a bust, regulated mod is a bust. At least he had the pulse 22 and it's great.

uansari1

Bronze Contributor
Member For 1 Year
I don’t see Voopoo releasing a squonker before VV gets theirs out. That’s what VV should be focused on...best Voopoo to market so that whatever demand there would have been for the Voopoo squonker is already filled by the VV.

CapVanillaCustard

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
He also mentioned there was a contract. All contracts have consequences when broken, unless the other party did something they weren't supposed to as well.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

From the video description:

NOTE: I’m told that Voopoo May not’ve “signed” a contract for the 40k boards, but there were many oral, email, and even an email directly to me stating they would deliver 40k boards to us.

fozzy71

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
At least he had the pulse 22 and it's great.
yeah, this is probably my fave rda I have in squonk rotation right now. I almost stopped locally today to see if I could grab one or two more but decided to do some shopping online instead to get them cheaper since I also want another RSQ or two now that the Pulse 80w will be using an untested/new proprietary chip I know nothing about.

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years

NOTE: I’m told that Voopoo May not’ve “signed” a contract for the 40k boards, but there were many oral, email, and even an email directly to me stating they would deliver 40k boards to us.
That's even worse In the business world, it's pretty stupid to count on anything without a contract.

At my job, I'm not going to start designing a part for someone without a signature and a purchase order.

Sure, sometimes we work with a customer to come up with a design that will work for them and never end up getting the job but that's life. We don't get upset about it. We don't even think twice about it. Just move on to the next one.

stanglifemike

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Yep why I questioned the timing of the release of Vandy Vapes chipset....
I immediately thought about that, as it lined up almost too conveniently. But, I don't think that was the plan all along. If so, Tony wouldn't have been advertising it with the Gene chip as much as he did. Since the Pulse 80 was first announced, you rarely ever heard the words "Pulse 80" without "Gene chip" in the same sentence and only a couple words away. Plus, I don't think he would've kept saying the VV chip had always been an option, but he wanted to go with the Gene chip instead because it performed better.

stanglifemike

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years

Yup, and that's the nail in the coffin! It sucks Voopoo would do that, but business 101 is making sure everything is done by the book. ESPECIALLY when it's a business deal of this size!

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years

So VV is possibly doing scheming of their own?
Perhaps wanting to have the Voopoo chips handy in case their chipset was not ready in time?

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I suddenly hear the law and order theme song in my head lol.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
all this knee jerk reactionary pandemonium over something that NONE of us know the whole story on reminds me of anti vapers who hear a bad study and declare that vaping is worse than cigarettes...

Same behavior just different subject.

We are a knee jerk eager for outrage society.

Last edited:

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
yeah, this is probably my fave rda I have in squonk rotation right now. I almost stopped locally today to see if I could grab one or two more but decided to do some shopping online instead to get them cheaper since I also want another RSQ or two now that the Pulse 80w will be using an untested/new proprietary chip I know nothing about.
Yea my local b&m doesn't carry squonk stuff. I called about a wasp nano some months back and said he could order it in. Hell I did the same and still got it cheaper. If they carried any squonk stuff I might would at least stop by.

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
did not think they did but if they did vape shops would be selling them.
I ment like bottles and tubes. Possibly a famous rda like pulse 22 or wasp. But he wanted to order straight from eBay. I told him I could do that myself and get the reputation points while I was at it. Ha ha

VU Sponsors