Become a Patron!

DJKhaled

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hey I am new to vaping and I am wondering what the best option would be for a rather tight budgeted setup.
I was considering the following setup:
- Kanger pro tank 3 mini
- Ego twist battery

I was wondering if there is a different setup I should get, as well as what kind of ejuice I should get.
I have an ~30-40 dollar budget and I am looking for a setup that produces nice clouds and has good flavor.

roxynoodle

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
The Mini Protank or an Aspire Nautilus Mini are good choices for a tank.

I'm not sure I want to recommend the ego battery unless you really like the stick form factor. Why? With FDA regulations being a reality, there is a good chance you will move on to a rebuildable tank soon. So a small box mod would be a better use of your money I think. Take a look at the various isticks (30W, 60W, Pico, but not the 20W because it's very inaccurate and overpowered), Council of Vapor Mini Volt, Innokin Coolfire IV.

Some bargain juice makers I've liked are Ohm's Vapes, and ITC.

DJKhaled

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The Mini Protank or an Aspire Nautilus Mini are good choices for a tank.

I'm not sure I want to recommend the ego battery unless you really like the stick form factor. Why? With FDA regulations being a reality, there is a good chance you will move on to a rebuildable tank soon. So a small box mod would be a better use of your money I think. Take a look at the various isticks (30W, 60W, Pico, but not the 20W because it's very inaccurate and overpowered), Council of Vapor Mini Volt, Innokin Coolfire IV.

Some bargain juice makers I've liked are Ohm's Vapes, and ITC.
I do like the form factor-ness of the ego batteries and kanger tank, but a box mod would be something l would be interested in depending on the price.

roxynoodle

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
I do like the form factor-ness of the ego batteries and kanger tank, but a box mod would be something l would be interested in depending on the price.

Do a lot of googling, and check Vapecrawler on prices. I saw the Mini Volt on clearance somewhere a few days ago...maybe on Vape Royalty?

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Mini Volt would be a great eGo alternative - still super compact and decent battery life, with enough power if you decide to step up from the Protank. One thing to keep in mind, though, is that the Protank Minis I believe are eGo threaded (female threads on the tank, male threads on the eGo battery), so you'll need an adapter to run it on most box mods, which have 510 threads (female threads on the mod, male threads on the tank and almost the universal standard these days).

Don't expect a ton of clouds from a Protank, but you'll get something that will be good for cigarette-style mouth-to-lung vaping with moderate clouds and super-low (by today's standards) liquid consumption, which will save you money if you're not making your own liquid - 10 ml/day can be just as expensive as smoking if you're buying "premium" lines from brick and mortar shops.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Think here may be as good as any suggestion, the SmokTech Nano Kit. That is if you decide upon going over to the box form factor. I can agree that with deeming regs coming on us we need to find good kits.

But why not check out the post above mine here. Seems like they are on the ball. :)

DJKhaled

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Think here may be as good as any suggestion, the SmokTech Nano Kit. That is if you decide upon going over to the box form factor. I can agree that with deeming regs coming on us we need to find good kits.

But why not check out the post above mine here. Seems like they are on the ball. :)
These suggestions all look great but a bit pricey. Are there any smaller box mods that are HQ as well?

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Aspire Nautilus is a good tank and well liked as a starter tank. I rarely use tanks so I don't have any other suggestions. I've used the Pro tanks and the Nautilus has a better coil.

DJKhaled

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Aspire Nautilus is a good tank and well liked as a starter tank. I rarely use tanks so I don't have any other suggestions. I've used the Pro tanks and the Nautilus has a better coil.
What would be an alternative to a tank though?

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
RDA (rebuildable dripping atomizer) you make your own coils and wick them. You then wet the wick with your favorite juice and get a few really good hits and then you drip again, a few good hits and drip again. I use a Derringer with a stainless steal build at 0.24 ohms on my Nugget. Just starting out I'd stick with a tank for now. Do some reading on the forum and see where the ride takes you.
O and welcome to the VU.

ChrisL

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If your still considering VW pen devices, ecig.com has the Kanger IPow II device for $18.00. 15W, adjustable with a charger and ego adaptor. I just picked up a 2 pack from Aliexpress for $38.00 shipped. I use the Nautilus Mini tank and they work great for mtl style vaping.

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I feel this needs to be clarified before giving advice. Personally I'm mainly a DL vaper, The flip side of that is MTL.

Mouth to Lung (MTL) is where you suck into your mouth then inhale that, it replicates how most people smoke (personally I guess I was doing it wrong :confused:)
Direct Lung (DL ) is where you just breath it right in. This is what you do when you go for clouds.

There are devices aimed at each group. The Nautilus which is a great suggestion for beginners is more a MTL tank. The reason I want to clarify is because I started with MTL tanks direct inhaling, and with that I kept buying new stuff every month. At this point I have a giant collection, given away most of my early stuff but I still have my starting DL devices stuffed in a drawer. So if the DL type vaping sounds like more your thing you might not be satisfied with the pen style things or the Nautilus and end up scrounging together some money and buying something new in not too long.

So just something to think about. As far as juices, I use some that's very well priced (like insanely good prices) but I wouldn't recommend it to a MTL style as it's a more subtle flavor and you could likely find something more your taste. What I keep well stocked in Verdevalleyvapes, but there are much better juices for MTL, things that have a much richer flavor.

Anyways, if you have any thoughts on that I'll try and get back with some suggestions on DL options if that's the way you go, if not I'd bow to much more knowledgeable people on MTL (I just dabble, I only really do it in certain situations like going to a bar or party).

DJKhaled

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I feel this needs to be clarified before giving advice. Personally I'm mainly a DL vaper, The flip side of that is MTL.

Mouth to Lung (MTL) is where you suck into your mouth then inhale that, it replicates how most people smoke (personally I guess I was doing it wrong :confused:)
Direct Lung (DL ) is where you just breath it right in. This is what you do when you go for clouds.

There are devices aimed at each group. The Nautilus which is a great suggestion for beginners is more a MTL tank. The reason I want to clarify is because I started with MTL tanks direct inhaling, and with that I kept buying new stuff every month. At this point I have a giant collection, given away most of my early stuff but I still have my starting DL devices stuffed in a drawer. So if the DL type vaping sounds like more your thing you might not be satisfied with the pen style things or the Nautilus and end up scrounging together some money and buying something new in not too long.

So just something to think about. As far as juices, I use some that's very well priced (like insanely good prices) but I wouldn't recommend it to a MTL style as it's a more subtle flavor and you could likely find something more your taste. What I keep well stocked in Verdevalleyvapes, but there are much better juices for MTL, things that have a much richer flavor.

Anyways, if you have any thoughts on that I'll try and get back with some suggestions on DL options if that's the way you go, if not I'd bow to much more knowledgeable people on MTL (I just dabble, I only really do it in certain situations like going to a bar or party).
Based on this I would guess that I would be looking for a MTL tank. Thanks for your helpfulness!

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Nice kit the only thing is it looks the tank is sub ohm and is probably a direct to lung hit. Also see if they have replacement coils for the tank. Maybe someone who has that set up will post a review. I know the mod is well liked.

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Nice kit the only thing is it looks the tank is sub ohm and is probably a direct to lung hit. Also see if they have replacement coils for the tank. Maybe someone who has that set up will post a review. I know the mod is well liked.
Yup yup yup.

The mod is a good choice, love my mini volt, tiny yet quality. Thing is if you want a MTL vape you're going to have to go with a different option on tank. The Nautilus is the most tried and true MTL maybe not the best (there's tons of optoins for all varieties) but it's a quality one that many still use even though it's an older model. You can get a mini volt on ebay for ~$30, a Nautilus is going to run you about $20. Then there's juice and replacement coils... $40 to start is a tough sell.

DJKhaled

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yup yup yup.

The mod is a good choice, love my mini volt, tiny yet quality. Thing is if you want a MTL vape you're going to have to go with a different option on tank. The Nautilus is the most tried and true MTL maybe not the best (there's tons of optoins for all varieties) but it's a quality one that many still use even though it's an older model. You can get a mini volt on ebay for ~$30, a Nautilus is going to run you about $20. Then there's juice and replacement coils... $40 to start is a tough sell.
Would I be able to use the kanger on the mini volt, or considering my budget should i stick to the tank that it comes with for now?

Last edited:

pcrdude

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Would I be able to use the kanger on the mini volt, or considering my budget should i stick to the tank that it comes with for now?

If you go MiniVolt, you can MTL with a Cubis:
http://www.discountvapers.com/joyetech-cubis-tank-3-5ml-stainless/

I am currently MTL with the 1.0 ohm coils, but I also like the 1.5 ohm ones. The Cubis does not leak at ALL, and has adjustable airflow for MTL now, or DL later if you go that route....

BTW, Discount vapers has the coils @ $10 for five....

Good Luck!

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Are there any smaller box mods that are HQ as well?

My apologies for not responding to this earlier. Did not comprehend the meaning behind "are HQ as well".

If high quality is meant, sorry. A lot of what is on the market is what I would think of as mid grade quality. Don't take that as a criticism though. A lot of good mid grade quality gear exists that can do as well, or better than high quality gear.

You have to look, comparison shop. You need to try stuff to find what suits you. That isn't anyone telling you to go buy a bunch to be mean. We don't know your tastes, your preferences. We too had to buy and try stuff to find what suits us.

Sure we can point to some of the stuff we might think will do alright. Not that we don't want to be more helpful but we have found what we like. We don't continually keep buying gear to simply buy gear, although ... hm, some do. *chuckles* Not all do though.

Quality like most in vaping is a very subjective quality or attribute. It's ultimately up to each end user to decide it for themselves.

VU Sponsors