Become a Patron!

Ohms Jumping Up Out Of Nowhere?

I'm not new to vaping (started about 4 years ago), but this is my first sub-ohm kit, and something weird (and kind of scary) just happened :/
It's a new Kanger Subtank Mini with the RBA coil inside, put on a new Coolfire IV mod. I have the Coolfire set to 18 watts and the display says its at 3.59 volts when I take a puff. The display is saying my coil is at 0.74 ohms. I've had it on these settings since Christmas with no issues.
Well..I just went to take a puff and OUCH it felt like fire on my mouth coming up out of the mouthpiece! So I stopped real quick and looked down at the display on the mod and it says the coil is at 2.24 ohms..What the heck? It only did it once. It's fine now. But what just happened? And is something unsafe?
Thanks for your help!

Lost

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
What coil do you have in it? Wire type, coil size, wraps.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
It's a dodgy coil. That happens sometimes. Luck of the draw I guess.

Your mod should have lowered the voltage to compensate for the rise in resistance. I'd toss the coil and use a new one.

Thanks for replying.
It is the stock RBA that it came with. It came with a pre-built, and an RBA that already had the wire/coil in it but not the cotton. I put the cotton in myself. Wild guess is the wire is about 26-28 gage. Its wrapped 5 times. Not sure what it is made of.

Ah okay, Zamazam. So its not the mod or anything about to blow up in my face then, thats good haha :)
I have a whole spool of 28g kanthal wire myself, I just need to study up more on how to twist the coil up properly.
Thanks!

Lost

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Not sure what it is made of.

It's Kanthal. Probably 27 gauge.

If you're adventurous, make a dual-strand twisted 28g wire. You can do 2.5mm ID, 5 wraps and end up with almost the exact same ohmmage you do now... around .75.

Any single strand 28g with enough wraps to make the coil worthwhile will put you closer to 1 ohm or above.
http://www.steam-engine.org/wirewiz.asp

snake94115

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ah okay, Zamazam. So its not the mod or anything about to blow up in my face then, thats good haha :)
I have a whole spool of 28g kanthal wire myself, I just need to study up more on how to twist the coil up properly.
Thanks!
No you'll be alright as Zamazam pointed out the coil is just a bit dodgy some minor fiddling with it should fix the issue.

Ah.. Never thought to do that, Freemind. Will do! Thanks :)
And thank you Neunerball for the link.
Y'all have been a great help!

eSMOKA

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Tighten the screws that are trapping the coil legs a little. Also, make sure that the coil legs are not protruding too much from the screw where they are cut off.

VU Sponsors