Become a Patron!

Old Pharts Club

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well I'll save thousands initially if I can get the composter running the way I want it to - and my big rule right now is not to spend a dime making it happen

Now I do have to be careful with time - mine is valuable to me, my family and my business so you gotta weigh that when I do something cheap to save money, it usually means committing a big chunk of time

Like Cromwell fixing his own air conditioning, took a great deal of time, but saved a ton of money
When retired time is cheap. Getting old body to do stuff is not as easy...

Lannie

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
According to our weather guessers, at this time, this very moment, they're forecasting no rain until tomorrow night. Two whole days without rain? I hope. But they usually change the forecast when they see rain or clouds forming, so who knows? I'm crossing my fingers. I just went out and harvested a huge armload of catnip, but couldn't get the door to the shed open because it's swelled so much in the rain and humidity. So I had to set the bundle of catnip down and use both hands and all my strength to get the door open. Once I did, I turned around and found one of the goddamn feral toms pissing on it! :mad: So I had to take all the stalks on top and toss them. Most of the bunch was OK, though, so I'll still have some dried catnip in a couple weeks.

By the way, Rich, in case I forget to tell you later, I couldn't get the shed door closed again. I think it's gonna need two people and maybe a pry-bar. o_O Or a week of sunny, dry weather to shrink the wood back.

I've heard from people who have tried this that a fresh egg given raw, before the dog's face swells too much to swallow, can avert most of the damage of a rattlesnake bite. If they can't swallow, sliding it down the back of their throat through an oral syringe will also work. I've never had to do this, fortunately, but I know several people who have. The only catch is they say it has to be a freshly laid egg, and all those people I know have chickens, so they have eggs all the time. I don't know if an older store-bought egg would work, but I guess it wouldn't hurt to try. I don't know what it is about the fresh raw egg, but they tell me it reduces the facial swelling almost immediately (like within an hour), and the dog is back to normal by the end of the day. For what it's worth...

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I've heard from people who have tried this that a fresh egg given raw, before the dog's face swells too much to swallow, can avert most of the damage of a rattlesnake bite. If they can't swallow, sliding it down the back of their throat through an oral syringe will also work. I've never had to do this, fortunately, but I know several people who have. The only catch is they say it has to be a freshly laid egg, and all those people I know have chickens, so they have eggs all the time. I don't know if an older store-bought egg would work, but I guess it wouldn't hurt to try. I don't know what it is about the fresh raw egg, but they tell me it reduces the facial swelling almost immediately (like within an hour), and the dog is back to normal by the end of the day. For what it's worth...

We will keep that in mind, with the hopes we never need to try it. When the schnauzer got bit, we were all in bed. By the time we got up, and noticed his behavior was different, his throat was already swollen. The vet gave him two shots. I offer him a baby aspirin rolled up in a pickle slice for the discomfort.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Evening Phartz....hope everyone had a fantastic day. It was hot here, that's nothing new tho. Bright blue sky as far as you could see. I'll take anything below 110F, after that it's just brutal heat, similar to Hell I assume...:devil:

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I got the sulfur spread in the yard. The dogs are staying indoors tonight while the slithery bastards find someplace else to hang out. Then, I got some electrical conduit set up so I can run wire through it tomorrow. Even UV protected wire won't last long in the summer sun.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
My internet has been down most of the day, but I didn't miss it because I spent a long time out in the garden pulling weeds and moving them to the burn pile. I am so sore right now, I can barely sit up in this chair o_O
Yup, bending over pulling weeds all day will put a hurtin on someone even in good shape.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
If I don't feel better tomorrow, I'll be off weed duty for a few days. Wednesday is monthly shopping day, and if I do more weeds tomorrow and then feel like shit Wednesday, there's no way I am driving 250 miles and racing through half a dozen stores. Given that it did not rain on us today, maybe the grass will be dry enough tomorrow that I can ride the mower instead. It's a bitch being in such bad shape...
:deadhorse:

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Well, at least I got enough today that all 30 tomato pots will get morning sun again. Some of that crap was 4-5 feet high. Damn! I should have been at that task a week ago. Hope the rain holds off until I can finish, then get the mullen and bind weed off the squash. I think Lannie is probably gonna give her priority to the beans or onions or something now that the 'maters are out of danger.

Last edited:

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Weeds 4-5 feet tall already?...Damn, they do well in the black hills dirt......:teehee:
Only when we get a lot of rain. All the Great Plains is basically sandy loam (used to be an ocean bottom a zillion years ago). Deep and soft - well, except Texas, which had most of the soft washed away and left a lot of rock exposed.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Weeds love sandy loam...or anything really. I have weeds growing through my rock landscape you wouldn't think could possibly survive, just because of the extreme heat - and prolly being a 140F+ at ground level, but they grow like weeds too, with NO water.

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Only when we get a lot of rain. All the Great Plains is basically sandy loam (used to be an ocean bottom a zillion years ago). Deep and soft - well, except Texas, which had most of the soft washed away and left a lot of rock exposed.
I'm always finding fossils from back then. My trophy is a chunk of oyster shell 1.5" thick. It's still got sparkly bits in it.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Weeds love sandy loam...or anything really. I have weeds growing through my rock landscape you wouldn't think could possibly survive, just because of the extreme heat - and prolly being a 140F+ at ground level, but they grow like weeds too, with NO water.
We have some tiny cactus (max 2" tall) that grows like crazy here when it is dry and hot, but doesn't do too well in this wet stuff. Each weed seems to have its own preferences.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I'm always finding fossils from back then. My trophy is a chunk of oyster shell 1.5" thick. It's still got sparkly bits in it.
When I lived in Grand Canyon, I loved looking for really old rocks and ancient shells. There is one spot there where a 3.5 billion-year-old layer is exposed. I didn't get to play there too often because my archaeology desires overrode my geology desires, and that area of Arizona is full of Anasazi ruins begging for my snooping self to explore them. Anyway, to some extent, I am still a rock hound. Have about a thousand pounds of various rocks from every state I've ever been to in my collection.

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
When I lived in Grand Canyon, I loved looking for really old rocks and ancient shells. There is one spot there where a 3.5 billion-year-old layer is exposed. I didn't get to play there too often because my archaeology desires overrode my geology desires, and that area of Arizona is full of Anasazi ruins begging for my snooping self to explore them. Anyway, to some extent, I am still a rock hound. Have about a thousand pounds of various rocks from every state I've ever been to in my collection.
I had even found a rock about 3/4" long and shaped like a human skull, with all the holes in the right places. It brought me bad luck until I sold it for $100 to some guy in SD. When he got it, he lost his trucking job for Haliburton, his apartment, and his girlfriend. I used the money for groceries.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
It brought me bad luck
I do not believe any object, in and of itself, can give you either good or bad luck. Now if the item is radioactive, that can cause some personality alterations in whoever has said object, but if that is not the case, believing an object can cause you bad luck is in the same psychological category as Voodoo -- if you believe it will affect you, you will cause that to happen yourself. No one else can work magic on you without your consent.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
It amazes me how destructive the "picnic crowd" used to be. No respect for history ("Ah hell, they wuz just a bunch of dang injuns.")
Hell, I come across old indian burial sites, found arrowheads, busted clay pottery, rock mounds the shape of a human, therefore I assume someone was buried. Actually there are quite a few burial sites if you walk off the beaten path, where I doubt nobody has been in hundreds of years.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Weather can break pottery too, but other places are obvious human destruction.

I have photographed a few of those "burial" sites, but never touched anything. I feel a certain respect for sacred places... well, REAL sacred places, not the phony vortexes at Sedona that are little more than new age tourist traps.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I have photographed a few of those, but never touched anything. I feel a certain respect for sacred places... well, REAL sacred places, not the phony vortexes at Sedona that are little more than new age tourist traps.
Indeed....DO NOT DISTURB when you find arrowheads and old clay pottery, with rocks piled the shape of a human, it gives a pretty good inclination of what is under the rocks.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Indeed....DO NOT DISTURB when you find arrowheads and old clay pottery, with rocks piled the shape of a human, it gives a pretty good inclination of what is under the rocks.
It is odd how burial customs change from one tribe to another... most Native Americans "bury" their dead suspended above the ground so the spirit can more easily leave the body and walk the Great Red Road to the next plane. Funny how the further we go into the past, however, the customs seem to be more modern; i.e., we put the body into the ground to restore the mineral content to Mother Earth, from whence it originally came. (this becomes a very long discussion, probably not to be pursued on this thread without endangering someone's religious beliefs or lack thereof)

In England, I found a lot of ancient burial sites (I seem to have a penchant for "old" stuff) and they were all buried with weapons, likely believing they would need them in the next realm. Could our natives have required arrowheads (perhaps the whole arrow, but the wood disintegrated?) for the same purpose?

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Well, I guess I better put me to bed too. Very tired...

Eric or Lucy, if you are still here, don't forget to turn out the lights.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I do not believe any object, in and of itself, can give you either good or bad luck. Now if the item is radioactive, that can cause some personality alterations in whoever has said object, but if that is not the case, believing an object can cause you bad luck is in the same psychological category as Voodoo -- if you believe it will affect you, you will cause that to happen yourself. No one else can work magic on you without your consent.
I dunno about that... my first wife....

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I dunno about that... my first wife....
About that. A lesbian had the hots for me so bad that she put a curse on me, so that nobody else would want me. The shaman could only begin the removal of the curse. I had to do that rest. That ended 20 years of being single, since I did not know she had put the curse on me.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
...was not an inanimate object, so was quite capable of altering your directions.... but still, you allowed it (until termination).
:D

Oh yeah my own damned fault and I was totally stupid...
Came from being raised by religious helicopter parents...
I was dumb enough to think that humans were basically good.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thunder boomers all day with periods of downpours.
Some places have gotten close to 5 inches of rain so far today.
About 3 inches of rain today here at my hovel.

Feeling better yesterday and today.
Tentative diagnosis is Brachial Neuritis in right shoulder and arm.
They wanted to do a couple of grand worth of MRI's on me. And that was my part. I do have insurance...
And were talking spinal neck surgery...

Naah.
Got some antibiotics and taking big doses of B12 and D.
And Naproxen for the pain which is fairly severe, but as I said I seem to be getting better.

Ordered a few things from FT before the tariffs kick in.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Tentative diagnosis is Brachial Neuritis in right shoulder and arm.
They wanted to do a couple of grand worth of MRI's on me. And that was my part. I do have insurance...
And were talking spinal neck surgery...
Naah.
Got some antibiotics and taking big doses of B12 and D.
And Naproxen for the pain which is fairly severe, but as I said I seem to be getting better..
So you are refusing the surgery, huh? Part of me wants to shout out "good boy," but at the same time, I am facing a similar decision and not sure what my answer will be. The last visit to a back doctor, he said that because of my "extreme" spinal stenosis, I should probably have the entire lumbar region fused. OK, so maybe I will last longer if I do that, but at what cost to my mobility?

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So you are refusing the surgery, huh? Part of me wants to shout out "good boy," but at the same time, I am facing a similar decision and not sure what my answer will be. The last visit to a back doctor, he said that because of my "extreme" spinal stenosis, I should probably have the entire lumbar region fused. OK, so maybe I will last longer if I do that, but at what cost to my mobility?
Yeah I am mixed on it as well.
however if I decide to do it I will wait till I get medicare in about 8 months.
And supplemental as well of course.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
So your decision is based solely on out-of-pocket cost? Once you are fully insured, you will proceed?
Because I am a disabled Vet, the V.A. will cover me 100%, but I just can't get my mind around this fusion idea.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So your decision is based solely on out-of-pocket cost? Once you are fully insured, you will proceed?
Because I am a disabled Vet, the V.A. will cover me 100%, but I just can't get my mind around this fusion idea.
NO my decision is not based entirely on out of pocket expenses, but gives me a good excuse to delay?

;)

And the last time I talked with surgeons about my lower back issues they pulled out a bunch or hardware they planned to put in there.
Of course that was 17 years ago, they might just use super glue and JB Weld now?

This apparently MAY be a different issue in the neck area of my spine.
And still waiting on bloodwork results and such as well.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Ahhhh... I get it.

I wish it was just a superglue issue. The pictures he showed me included a metal rack with two screws per vertebra, and they looked long and nasty (sharp pointy tips), like the deck screws out in the shop. If one of those broke or just came out, the amount of organ damage they could cause would be real severe.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ahhhh... I get it.

I wish it was just a superglue issue. The pictures he showed me included a metal rack with two screws per vertebra, and they looked long and nasty (sharp pointy tips), like the deck screws out in the shop. If one of those broke or just came out, the amount of organ damage they could cause would be real severe.
Yeah similar to what I was shown I suspect. It included metal rods....

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I just saw a plate with flanges, intended to separate the vertebra at equal distances and hold them there so they'd quit trying to saw through the spinal cord. But, of course, each section of that multifaceted plate had two nasty screws per vertebra. And he said I'd need four or five of the lumbar vertebra immobilized. And there is no guarantee that this will stop the constant pain, so I likely would still have to stay on drugs. The alternative is to go on as I am, but he suggested that the next time I slip on ice (or anything else) and land on my ass, the spinal cord will be severed and I will never get up. Assuming I live through that, I would be paralyzed from that point down, which means living in a wheelchair with catheters and baggies. There are way too may stairs in this house to even try to live here in a wheelchair, and I really don't want Lannie's full-time job to be caring for a slobbering old fool. But, at the same time, this operation scares the living shit out of me. I have let the knife wielders whack me open way too many times already, taking parts out and putting artificial parts in, praying I don't wake up looking like Stephen Hawking.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I just saw a plate with flanges, intended to separate the vertebra at equal distances and hold them there so they'd quit trying to saw through the spinal cord. But, of course, each section of that multifaceted plate had two nasty screws per vertebra. And he said I'd need four or five of the lumbar vertebra immobilized. And there is no guarantee that this will stop the constant pain, so I likely would still have to stay on drugs. The alternative is to go on as I am, but he suggested that the next time I slip on ice (or anything else) and land on my ass, the spinal cord will be severed and I will never get up. Assuming I live through that, I would be paralyzed from that point down, which means living in a wheelchair with catheters and baggies. There are way too may stairs in this house to even try to live here in a wheelchair, and I really don't want Lannie's full-time job to be caring for a slobbering old fool. But, at the same time, this operation scares the living shit out of me. I have let the knife wielders whack me open way too many times already, taking parts out and putting artificial parts in, praying I don't wake up looking like Stephen Hawking.
Have you talked to any naturopathic doctors?

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Assuming I live through that, I would be paralyzed from that point down, which means living in a wheelchair with catheters and baggies. There are way too may stairs in this house to even try to live here in a wheelchair, and I really don't want Lannie's full-time job to be caring for a slobbering old fool. But, at the same time, this operation scares the living shit out of me. I have let the knife wielders whack me open way too many times already, taking parts out and putting artificial parts in, praying I don't wake up looking like Stephen Hawking.

Hear that....I'd put cold steel in my mouth before living like that, cuz that ain't living - Especially at our ages.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah the worst part about waking up a cripple would be waking up.

Went to a good friends brothers wake a while ago.
Then to wally world. Seemed to be fewer than average walking dead in there this evening.
I guess the rain and thunderstorms kept them at home?

VU Sponsors