Become a Patron!

Old Pharts Club

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
You have a couple months, I suspect things will come together. Like you said, holes in squash leaves won't hurt anything. Hopefully everything recovers.
Lannie said she can't even find the beans. I hope that is because all the squished weeds (mostly mallow) are laid over them.

The only thing that truly pisses me off about this is that there was absolutely no severe weather in the forecast. We might be backward bumpkins in South Dakota, but Jeezus fucfking H. Christ on a hobby horse, we do have Doppler RADAR. Where were the god damn weather fucks? Screwing under the desk all night? :blah:

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Lannie said she can't even find the beans. I hope that is because all the squished weeds (mostly mallow) are laid over them.

The only thing that truly pisses me off about this is that there was absolutely no severe weather in the forecast. We might be backward bumpkins in South Dakota, but Jeezus fucfking H. Christ on a hobby horse, we do have Doppler RADAR. Where were the god damn weather fucks? Screwing under the desk all night? :blah:
Prolly eating mushrooms and tripping out on the lightning show.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Hard to believe. Well, if you want a parcel of land in another country, let me know.

Bout the only thing we have is an earthquake now and again, perhaps a volcanic eruption, but their far far away.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Hard to believe. Well, if you want a parcel of land in another country, let me know.

Bout the only thing we have is an earthquake now and again, perhaps a volcanic eruption, but their far far away.

Social security check would go a lot further down there, that's for sure

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Thunder storms and down pours all day here today. Again!
4th day in a row I think.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Bout the only thing we have is an earthquake now and again, perhaps a volcanic eruption, but they're far far away.
Yes, I do, but I doubt they'd let us bring all of Lannie's critters. And, while I know the good old USofA would continue to pay my SS checks if I moved there, they do not have a VA hospital, which, sadly, I use all too often lately.
Prolly eating mushrooms and tripping out on the lightning show.
Oddly enough, I doubt they even had a light show in Rapid City (where the weather idiots hang out). At bedtime, I do a final walk-around, both inside and outside. I could see lightning about 40 miles north of us, but the weather was moving west-to-east, so that stuff wouldn't have come over us. The sky was clear overhead (lots of stars) and there were no visible clouds west or even south (where RC is in relation to us). So this stuff had to have come from eastern Wyoming and would have been clearly visible on the RADAR, but no warning was put out. Today, of course, they are forecasting severe thunderstorms for Spearfish, Sturgis and Rapid City for tomorrow night, but nothing for up here. We shall see. I think I'll batten down the hatches just in case.

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
In my neck of the woods, Abilene forecasts for Abiline and North. We are at the South of their viewing area, and sparsely populated enough that they don't seem to be concerned. It sucks when we are watching the local channels, and have them constantly interrupted about some storm 60 to 70 miles away, with no chance of us seeing a drop. When we do get a storm, they say nothing.
We rarely put on the interactive weather station, because we rarely get weather. By the time we do, Dish goes out due to cloud cover and heavy rain.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
sparsely populated enough that they don't seem to be concerned
That seems to be the case here too. With the exception of 8-10 "cities," no one gives a rat's ass about what happens in this whole state. Hey, it's just a bunch of cows, or sheep, or corn... and who cares that 100,000 cows were killed by an early blizzard (6 years ago) that the weather guessers gave absolutely no warning for. Oh, they had to know it was coming...

Lannie

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Well, as of this morning, we have a "severe thunderstorm" advisory for here, too. For tonight, I mean. So yeah, guess we'll batten down the hatches. AGAIN.

The GOOD news is that I've been able to lay eyes on all the kittens now. Yesterday morning, I only saw two of the five mobile kittens. There are still the six little ones tucked into their nest in the boxes in the garage, but the five older ones have been roaming the property with their parents, and lately had been spending a lot of time out by the big brush pile. The grass is tall around there, and there are a lot of big burdocks back there with nice shady leaves, and they were all out in that general area the night before last when the storm pounded us. I'm sure they all made a mad dash for the garage when the hail started, but with hail as big as those kittens' heads, well... I was worried. But they either found cover out there, or they dodged the hail well enough to make it to the garage, so all is well in Kittenland this morning. :)

There are small branch ends and leaves absolutely EVERYWHERE outside that the hail knocked off the trees and shrubs. Luckily, we have our screens up on the windows, or we might have had some broken windows. It just bounced off the screens. The tops of most of my taller veggies got destroyed, and some of them are laid over, but I only saw a few definite fatalities. It looks bad, but I think most everything will recover after a week or so. All that tall mallow (Rich often calls it mullein, but he means mallow) and the bindweed fell over everything, however, so even the plants that I'd cleared around appear to be buried in "noodles." There was a bunch of tall stuff, including flixweed, growing around the bean bed, so it's completely disappeared under a pile of noodles... It's going to be a mess to clean up. I left it all alone yesterday to see if some of it would stand back up, but I'm sure not all of it will, it's so tangled up, so there's some work ahead of us, that's for sure.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
And I thought that Krogers was a fairly reasonably run company....

- Kroger Co. is about to test whether it can steer supermarket customers away from crowded grocery aisles with a fleet of diminutive driverless cars designed to lower delivery costs.

The test program announced Thursday could make Kroger the first U.S. grocer to make deliveries with robotic cars that won't have a human riding along to take control in case something goes wrong.

Cincinnati-based Kroger is teaming up with Nuro, a startup founded by two engineers who worked on self-driving cars at Google.

The self-driving service is supposed to begin by the end of this year, although Kroger isn't saying yet where it will be offered.

Nuro co-founder Dave Ferguson says it will most likely be offered through Fry's supermarkets located somewhere in California or Arizona.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Well, as of this morning, we have a "severe thunderstorm" advisory for here, too. For tonight, I mean. So yeah, guess we'll batten down the hatches. AGAIN.

The GOOD news is that I've been able to lay eyes on all the kittens now. Yesterday morning, I only saw two of the five mobile kittens. There are still the six little ones tucked into their nest in the boxes in the garage, but the five older ones have been roaming the property with their parents, and lately had been spending a lot of time out by the big brush pile. The grass is tall around there, and there are a lot of big burdocks back there with nice shady leaves, and they were all out in that general area the night before last when the storm pounded us. I'm sure they all made a mad dash for the garage when the hail started, but with hail as big as those kittens' heads, well... I was worried. But they either found cover out there, or they dodged the hail well enough to make it to the garage, so all is well in Kittenland this morning. :)

There are small branch ends and leaves absolutely EVERYWHERE outside that the hail knocked off the trees and shrubs. Luckily, we have our screens up on the windows, or we might have had some broken windows. It just bounced off the screens. The tops of most of my taller veggies got destroyed, and some of them are laid over, but I only saw a few definite fatalities. It looks bad, but I think most everything will recover after a week or so. All that tall mallow (Rich often calls it mullein, but he means mallow) and the bindweed fell over everything, however, so even the plants that I'd cleared around appear to be buried in "noodles." There was a bunch of tall stuff, including flixweed, growing around the bean bed, so it's completely disappeared under a pile of noodles... It's going to be a mess to clean up. I left it all alone yesterday to see if some of it would stand back up, but I'm sure not all of it will, it's so tangled up, so there's some work ahead of us, that's for sure.
Hope the weather guessers were wrong, regarding those strong storms AGAIN tonight....!

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Get any nasty weather today, Rich?
It was pretty nice all day (overcast stratus this morning, burning off by noon, isolated cumulus by afternoon...). Did lots of feed moving, then some preventive maintenance on the mower, then mowed some lawn. I just came in from outside and there is ONE HUGE thunderbumper just NW of us, the anvil (cap cloud) covering 3/4 of the whole sky and distant lightning visible. It should not be coming at us, but I will keep an eye on it periodically.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
It was pretty nice all day (overcast stratus this morning, burning off by noon, isolated cumulus by afternoon...). Did lots of feed moving, then some preventive maintenance on the mower, then mowed some lawn. I just came in from outside and there is ONE HUGE thunderbumper just NW of us, the anvil (cap cloud) covering 3/4 of the whole sky and distant lightning visible. It should not be coming at us, but I will keep an eye on it periodically.
How's the ole body today?.....hopefully feels better than yesterday, after the bent over weeding gig.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
How's the ole body today?.....hopefully feels better than yesterday, after the bent over weeding gig.
Actually, yesterday was the monthly shopping. The weeding was the day before that. I am still very tired from both, but that never stops me. I remember, a long time ago in a galaxy far far away, a thing called a vacation. I wonder what that's like... :rolleyes:

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
We inspected a commercial building for an investor today, was done with everything before lunch....easy day thank goodness. Was one hot SOB, glad we started early and finished early.
After you relocate to EC permanently, do you plan on continuing this inspecting business (at least periodically, given you are not selling your other businesses - yet)? Seems like a good income source...

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
After you relocate to EC permanently, do you plan on continuing this inspecting business (at least periodically, given you are not selling your other businesses - yet)? Seems like a good income source...
Business will go on as usual, I have folks working for me...it's just been so damn busy lately, I hate leaving money on the table telling people I can't be there. So here I am.....:)

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The economy is booming here in the greater Phoenix area....you can't drive five miles in any direction without seeing a tower crane working on another huge building.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
The economy is booming here in the greater Phoenix area....you can't drive five miles in any direction without seeing a tower crane working on another huge building.
Just the kind of place I do my damnedest to stay away from. I don't mind going to town once a month for shopping, but I refuse to live in the midst of such craziness. Even the shopping trips rattle my brain all day, but I recover after a few days. If I had to live there, I'd go totally insane. (did it - Porkland, Orygun - never again - and have driven through Boston, NYC, Philly, Trenton, Chicago, St. Louis, Nashville, Knoxville, Louisville, Cincinnati, Indianapolis, Des Moines, Houston, San Antonio, Phoenix, Albuquerque, LA, San Francisco, Denver, Seattle, Cheyenne, Helena, Honolulu, etc., etc., ad nauseum -- but never stayed more than one day)

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Just the kind of place I do my damnedest to stay away from. I don't mind going to town once a month for shopping, but I refuse to live in the midst of such craziness. Even the shopping trips rattle my brain all day, but I recover after a few days. If I had to live there, I'd go totally insane. (did it - Porkland, Orygun - never again - and have driven through Boston, NYC, Philly, Trenton, Chicago, St. Louis, Nashville, Knoxville, Louisville, Cincinnati, Indianapolis, Des Moises, Houston, San Antonio, Phoenix, Albuquerque, LA, San Francisco, Denver, Seattle, Cheyenne, Helena, Honolulu, etc., etc., ad nauseum -- but never stayed more than one day)
I can handle it, as long as the money keeps flowing.....otherwise I'd be outta here in a NY minute.

We start early, usually at 6:00-6:30 (beat traffic)....and finish early, seldom do I work outside past noon. The rest of the work is in the office.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I can handle it, as long as the money keeps flowing.....otherwise I'd be outta here in a NY minute.

We start early, usually at 6:00-6:30 (beat traffic)....and finish early, seldom do I work outside past noon. The rest of the work is in the office.
I might be able to force myself to work in the city (with hours such as you describe), but I'd have to live even farther out than the suburbs (suburbia sucks as much as downtown - obnoxious neighbors and all). Even at the age I am now, I think I could still enjoy an office job, as long as it was mentally challenging. I hate boring work.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I might be able to force myself to work in the city (with hours such as you describe), but I'd have to live even farther out than the suburbs (suburbia sucks as much as downtown - obnoxious neighbors and all). Even at the age I am now, I think I could still enjoy an office job, as long as it was mentally challenging. I hate boring work.
My work is somewhat challenging. I have to note immediate repairs costs, and 1-5 year projected repair costs in every report. Every building is different, with different components and systems, never a dull moment in this business.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Hey, Crom. Nice to see ya here at night.

I love jobs that require lots of math. I just love math. :crazy: yes, I am algebraically inclined....

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hey, Crom. Nice to see ya here at night.

I love jobs that require lots of math. I just love math. :crazy: yes, I am algebraically inclined....

I am math challenged, very.
Comes from not having a memory that is not worth a darn.
Cannot remember the formulas and such. And it is not old age , never could memorize poems, songs, etc either. And playing musical instruments? fuggadaboutit.

I do however have an outstanding ability to understand how things work and am very good at troubleshooting and fixing things and stuff :)
I also tend to see a much larger picture than most.
But if it is an actual picture then all bets are off since I am mostly 'face blind'.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
My memory is slowly fading into the sunset, but I can still create new formulae in my dreams. And I used to write poetry and still draw and paint. The size of my picture exceeds the visible universe.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I can use maths in programming and such. however I have to have a book handy with the formulas and such.
I know how to do it but cannot remember the details.

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I could never play music, and my singing sucks. Artistically, I have talents. When it comes to fixing stuff, my mother calls me an inventor.
Face blnd, I can relate to that.
Seeing the big picture is fine, as long as you also pay attention to the small details.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My memory is slowly fading into the sunset, but I can still create new formulae in my dreams. And I used to write poetry and still draw and paint. The size of my picture exceeds the visible universe.

I was born this way..
Just lucky that I am very smart in other ways I suppose.
Think I may be aspergers?

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I wonder how much of this is that right brain versus left brain BS. I have been told my hemispheres are connected completely (neither seems to be dominant), so I do not understand those who can do only science without art, vice versa, etc. I see science and math the same way I see a photo or a painting... the universe is 3D in my head and a zillion formulae explain how all that art fits together. To me, everything is interlinked.

VU Sponsors