Become a Patron!

Old Pharts Club

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Right brain versus left is absolute bullshit. All that is, is somebody's attempt to explain away how some people think differently, and have different talents. It does not make anyone better than anyone else.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Whereas I cannot visualize things in my head as seeing an image.
Or doing anything above simple 2 number addition and subtraction in my head? No way.

If you have been that way all your life, I guess you never missed it. If, after having viewed everything as I do, if I were put in your situation, I would be certain someone removed part of my brain. That is not intended as an insult, but a matter of perspective.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Right brain versus left is absolute bullshit. All that is, is somebody's attempt to explain away how some people think differently, and have different talents. It does not make anyone better than anyone else.

Sarah, no one said one was better than the other, but clearly some people have natural talents for science/math and others have natural talents for art/pianos, etc. I suspect right vs. left was the psych's way of explaining that. And medical folks have proven that you use different parts of your brain for different functions.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If you have been that way all your life, I guess you never missed it. If, after having viewed everything as I do, if I were put in your situation, I would be certain someone removed part of my brain. That is not intended as an insult, but a matter of perspective.
Ohh not taken as an insult at all.
Just a bit of a handicap I have had to deal with all my life.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Sarah, no one said one was better than the other, but clearly some people have natural talents for science/math and others have natural talents for art/pianos, etc. I suspect right vs. left was the psych's way of explaining that. And medical folks have proven that you use different parts of your brain for different functions.
Which explains if you have a brain injury on one side of the brain, a certain portion of the body below the head may not function like it once did.

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Both my mother and husband think I'm a genius. Compared to some people I have met, I highly doubt it. I did well in classes where I created something, whether it be art, a tool, or a piece of furniture. I can still do that. Math helps, as I have to use it to figure out each step.
Therefore (to me) math and creativity go hand in hand.
It's funny how kids I went to school with never thought algebra was going to be used after graduation. I wouldn't know what to do without it.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Which explains if you have a brain injury on one side of the brain, a certain portion of the body below the head may not function like it once did.
When I was two years old, apparently I was annoying my mother while she was trying to make dinner. She took my toy truck away and put it on top of a kitchen cupboard, then went back to cooking. I am told that I pushed a stool over to the counter and climbed up the side of it in some attempt to get my truck back. And, I am told, I fell off that stool (while she wasn't looking) and smashed my forehead into the floor. I was knocked unconscious and they rushed me to a hospital. That bump took over 30 years to go away. I don't know if it affected any parts of my body other than the brain itself, which did not appear to come out the worse for it. :crazy:

But now I am putting it to bed.

Last edited:

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
When I was in 3rd grade, I had a friend who was an absolute miracle worker with a guitar and singing, but the IQ test said she was a moron (that particular test said 100 was average, 132 or above was genius, and 68 or less was moron and, if I remember right, her score was 65). I just figured, OK, some people can't take tests and she was pretty slow at grasping basic math concepts (3rd grade never went much further than add/subtract/multiply/divide), but I NEVER would have considered Patty Jo to be stupid. Slow, yes, but how can you be stupid when you are only 8 years old and can make a guitar do things most people will never master in a lifetime of trying? I suspect that each of us is granted some special talent, even if other skills/talents are too far away from them to reach.

I tried speed reading once, Crom, and I hated it (a mandatory English class in 7th grade). If you miss something as simple as the difference in the articles "a" and "the," you will have a totally different meaning to that sentence. Yeah, I can get the basic gist of the story at Warp 9, but the subtle nuances (the art of writing) will be totally lost (which is why I contend that Stephen King is an excellent story teller but a lousy writer), so I am one of those folks who takes twice as long to read anything because I savor every word.

Yup, we are all different. And I thank gawd for that, because if we were all the same, there would be no reason to talk -- how can you share an idea if everyone else already has it?

Last edited:

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
All my kinda rowdy friends have settled down...$5D0496F28BA4C52F.gif
And I am still like hot for teacher with a bit of Bad to the Bone thrown in...
Did I get left behind or am I ahead of the curve?
But whichever I gotta be me.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
All my kinda rowdy friends have settled down...View attachment 114627
And I am still like hot for teacher with a bit of Bad to the Bone thrown in...
Did I get left behind or am I ahead of the curve?
But whichever I gotta be me.

I always liked the Leonard Cohen line from Tower of Song "All my friends are gone, and the sky is gray, I ache in the places where I used to play..."

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Stephen King. Never read any of his stuff. Do not care for the subject matter.
Watched 1 of his movies. The Langoliers. Was pretty meh.
I am not a Stephen King fan, either novels or movies, but Lannie is, so I have read some of his books, which is why I get away with my statement about him being a bad writer. I loved the story of his Dark Tower series, but he really screwed up with many simple things (e,g, walking north along the Oregon coast and the sun came up over the ocean - excuse me Stephen, but that works for your home state of Maine, but NOT Oregon). In any case, one of my discoveries in reading his books is that not even one of the movies based on those books comes even close to what the novel says. The movie producers clearly demand a horror movie and most of his books, while adventurous and edge-of-the-seat, are NOT horror stories. So, while the old saying is "don't judge a book by its cover," for Stephen Kind, don't judge the book by the stupid movies.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
I am not a Stephen King fan, either novels or movies, but Lannie is, so I have read some of his books, which is why I get away with my statement about him being a bad writer. I loved the story of his Dark Tower series, but he really screwed up with many simple things (e,g, walking north along the Oregon coast and the sun came up over the ocean - excuse me Stephen, but that works for your home state of Maine, but NOT Oregon). In any case, one of my discoveries in reading his books is that not even one of the movies based on those books comes even close to what the novel says. The movie producers clearly demand a horror movie and most of his books, while adventurous and edge-of-the-seat, are NOT horror stories. So, while the old saying is "don't judge a book by its cover," for Stephen Kind, don't judge the book by the stupid movies.

An exception might be "Green Mile"

The movie (even the dialogue) followed the movie close to 95%

I only read the book because I surprisingly enjoyed the movie

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
An exception might be "Green Mile"
The movie (even the dialogue) followed the movie close to 95%
I only read the book because I surprisingly enjoyed the movie
One of the few SK movies I didn't have a problem with, but I never read that book. But also, clearly, it was not force fit into the horror agenda like so many others. I also liked The Stand, but that doesn't even come close to the book. And it was made for TV (three episodes on three nights), so, even though they have god and the devil and religious miracles, there really was no horror in that either.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I always liked the Leonard Cohen line from Tower of Song "All my friends are gone, and the sky is gray, I ache in the places where I used to play..."

I liked the Lando Malari quote which fits many of my former running buddies.
'My shoes are too tight and I have forgotten how to dance'.
One should never forget how to dance.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
One of the few SK movies I didn't have a problem with, but I never read that book. But also, clearly, it was not force fit into the horror agenda like so many others. I also liked The Stand, but that doesn't even come close to the book. And it was made for TV (three episodes on three nights), so, even though they have god and the devil and religious miracles, there really was no horror in that either.

Yeah, Green Mile was a story of a man telling his story of super natural events wrapped around an engrossing story within itself. Thought it was well done, good guys, bad guys, a tragedy and lots of farce. Plus my favorite actor, Harry Dean Stanton, which is the only reason I agreed to watch it, lol

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Today was weed-whacking day. I did all around the house, shop, and garage, and finished that just in time to take the flag down before the "big storm." We watched the weather channel on TV and they zoomed in on the "severe weather" and "massive thunderstorms" headed our direction. They said there was measured hail in Newell (45 miles west of us) and it was 3.8" ----- 3-4" hail headed directly for us? Yup, so they said. And the map showed that damn thing would run right over our house - no doubt about it. And get ready for all hell to break loose. OK, all the critters were in and safe. The lights flickered. The Dish TV signal was lost. I put on the 3rd Rock DVD. Lannie was in an absolute panic over the fear that those TV folks said was gonna get us. The storm arrived... lightning, thunder, wind, rain... then POOF!, it totally dissipated. No gale-force wind, no hail at all (much less 4" hail). The clouds broke, the wind calmed, the rain quit... nice quiet evening at the moment.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Today was weed-whacking day. I did all around the house, shop, and garage, and finished that just in time to take the flag down before the "big storm." We watched the weather channel on TV and they zoomed in on the "severe weather" and "massive thunderstorms" headed our direction. They said there was measured hail in Newell (45 miles west of us) and it was 3.8" ----- 3-4" hail headed directly for us? Yup, so they said. And the map showed that damn thing would run right over our house - no doubt about it. And get ready for all hell to break loose. OK, all the critters were in and safe. The lights flickered. The Dish TV signal was lost. I put on the 3rd Rock DVD. Lannie was in an absolute panic over the fear that those TV folks said was gonna get us. The storm arrived... lightning, thunder, wind, rain... then POOF!, it totally dissipated. No gale-force wind, no hail at all (much less 4" hail). The clouds broke, the wind calmed, the rain quit... nice quiet evening at the moment.
It was the 3rd Rock DVD that did it.
I am more into the liquid trimmer thing the past couple of years...

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Some strange shit happening in SD......:devil:

VU Sponsors