Become a Patron!

Old Pharts Club

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Even using a backhoe, it would be a bitch sifting the roots out, especially when a lot of soil is involved.
I think what we are going to do for next year is go completely to the mineral tub plan. Nothing will be planted directly in the ground, so whatever grows there will get mowed, and the tubs are only 18-24" deep, so no ultra-deep-rooted weeds can last in there.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I think what we are going to do for next year is go completely to the mineral tub plan. Nothing will be planted directly in the ground, so whatever grows there will get mowed, and the tubs are only 18-24" deep, so no ultra-deep-rooted weeds can last in there.
Haven't heard of Mineral Tubs...sounds interesting tho.

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
One thing that pisses me off is the dirt bags using cell phones to call. They use a fake phone number to make the calls, and 99% of the time, there is no human to cuss out. The only thing funny about it all is when they have a city listed as whom is calling me. That's when I know damn well to not answer. Only about 1/2% even have the machine leave a message. If they had to pay fifty cents towards my phone bill, for every time they called me, I'd have free phone and internet for the rest of my life.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Haven't heard of Mineral Tubs...sounds interesting tho.
Ah, I should have explained that. A "mineral tub" is a plastic tub full of minerals that cows need. They are also commonly called "lick tubs," probably because the mineral mix is sufficiently hard that the cows have to lick it to get that good stuff. One of my neighbors uses these by the hundreds every year and because they do not charge him a deposit on the plastic tub all those minerals come in, he has a huge pile of empties, many of which come home with me when I go over there to buy wheat for my chickens. So, while the cost of the tub when full of mineral is high, the cost of the empty tub (for me anyway) is zero.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Ah, I should have explained that. A "mineral tub" is a plastic tub full of minerals that cows need. They are also commonly called "lick tubs," probably because the mineral mix is sufficiently hard that the cows have to lick it to get that good stuff. One of my neighbors uses these by the hundreds every year and because they do not charge him a deposit on the plastic tub all those minerals come in, he has a huge pile of empties, many of which come home with me when I go over there to buy wheat for my chickens. So, while the cost of the tub when full of mineral is high, the cost of the empty tub (for me anyway) is zero.
Sounds like that's the way to-go...!

Free is always a good thing

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Sounds like that's the way to-go...!
Free is always a good thing
They also make good flower pots for either side of the house door (the small black ones as opposed to the large orange ones) and the big ones make great auxiliary water containers for when I let the horses loose in the yards and don't want to move their 100-gallon trough. (speaking of which, it had 1/4" of ice on top this morning, so I guess I'll have to move it in the barn soon and plug the heater in)

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I like the way you think :)

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
They also make good flower pots for either side of the house door (the small black ones as opposed to the large orange ones) and the big ones make great auxiliary water containers for when I let the horses loose in the yards and don't want to move their 100-gallon trough. (speaking of which, it had 1/4" of ice on top this morning, so I guess I'll have to move it in the barn soon and plug the heater in)
Damn, it certainly did go down last night....

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Lannie cleared the thermometer, so I don't know how low it actually got, but it was only 30 when we went out to do morning chores (9 AM). We had a rain/snow mix going on then, which changed to just plain rain, which froze when it hit the ground (obviously warmer in the clouds than on the ground). The HIGH temp today was (I think) only 35, but we also had winds of about 30 mph with gusts to 40, which made the wind chill about 20.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Lannie cleared the thermometer, so I don't know how low it actually got, but it was only 30 when we went out to do morning chores (9 AM). We had a rain/snow mix going on then, which changed to just plain rain, which froze when it hit the ground (obviously warmer in the clouds than on the ground). The HIGH temp today was (I think) only 35, but we also had winds of about 30 mph with gusts to 40, which made the wind chill about 20.
Just a shitty day no matter how you look at it....guess on the bright side, we're still above soil.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
on the bright side, we're still above soil.
This is true, but I am having a damn hard time adjusting to the cold this year. I have the same coats, hats, gloves as last year, so what happened to make me less tolerant of the cold? Oh, I know, everyone says you'll get used to it, but my memory still works well enough to remember past transitions from warm to cold and, while I did bitch about the change, they never hurt like this. Old Phart indeed...

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
This is true, but I am having a damn hard time adjusting to the cold this year. I have the same coats, hats, gloves as last year, so what happened to make me less tolerant of the cold? Oh, I know, everyone says you'll get used to it, but my memory still works well enough to remember past transitions from warm to cold and, while I did bitch about the change, they never hurt like this. Old Phart indeed...
I hear that Rich...just the opposite here, seems like the older I get, the less heat I can tolerate. But when I head north during the winter, I ask myself how the fuck can anyone live in this shit....it's a two way street I guess.

Went to Colorado a couple years ago, was -30 in Breckenridge.....that was brutal to say the least. I suppose if we want just about perfect weather, it costs a small fortune to live there, wherever that is.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I hear that Rich...just the opposite here, seems like the older I get, the less heat I can tolerate. But when I head north during the winter, I ask myself how the fuck can anyone live in this shit....it's a two way street I guess.

Went to Colorado a couple years ago, was -30 in Breckenridge.....that was brutal to say the least. I suppose if we want just about perfect weather, it costs a small fortune to live there, wherever that is.
I have often wondered if the perfect place exists on this planet. Watching old episodes of Buck Rogers, it is always 72 in the city, day, night, all year, and the computer even introduced a hint of mauve in the sunset. But where does one go in the here and now to find that?

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I think the humidity bothers me more than anything. If it cold and dry, it's not that bad....same with the heat....once humidity is mixed into the equation, it's just fucked up.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
My son lives near Tampa, I often ask him how the hell can you take that shit. Being young can only be the answer....I know I can't take it. Was there this past summer....JC, like a living hell with rain everyday at 3:00 PM.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
once humidity is mixed into the equation, it's just fucked up.
Well, here's the equation that modifies heat due to humidity (yes, really) and, yes, it looks fucked up to me too.

In this equation (formula), T= temperature in degrees Fahrenheit (°F) and rh = relative humidity (%).

1.JPG

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
It's not the arithmetic, it's the %'s I dislike, meaning anything above 40% is too much.....:cry:
Well, the simple explanation is that the higher the humidity, the less your body is able to evaporate your own sweat, which makes you sticky and uncomfortable. A slightly tougher version says the air around you is already saturated and cannot accept your attempt to evaporate your sweat. Either way, it sucks.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Well, the simple explanation is that the higher the humidity, the less your body is able to evaporate your own sweat, which makes you sticky and uncomfortable. A slightly tougher version says the air around you is already saturated and cannot accept your attempt to evaporate your sweat. Either way, it sucks.
Yep, here in the desert your skin turns white from the perperaton drying on the skin....as you know being in Tucson.

Artemis

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
A quick hello in here. Temp is 56 and rainy. Mosquito's are still active and hungry. I'm looking for a MTL kit for SIL birthday. Everything is either sold out or not being released yet.

VU Sponsors