Become a Patron!

Old Pharts Club

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Sure they do, but you have been programmed to not care about the details. When I played that game (and Tucson isn't too different than Phoenix), I would tell you exactly when the thunderstorms would be within 5 miles of the base perimeter. What do they tell you today? Oh, there's a 20% chance of thunderstorms and no additional data whatsoever.
I didn't even look, Rich...they said chance of rain, we got it, plus a lil more....:giggle:

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Sure they do, but you have been programmed to not care about the details. When I played that game (and Tucson isn't too different than Phoenix), I would tell you exactly when the thunderstorms would be within 5 miles of the base perimeter. What do they tell you today? Oh, there's a 20% chance of thunderstorms and no additional data whatsoever.
Around here, they'll tell us the forecast for Abilene includes 20% chance of rain, mostly north of the I-20 corridor. That means we'd be lucky to have a mosquito piss on us. We happen to be 50 miles away from I-20, and even a slight breeze often means the clouds will blow away with nothing but virga.

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
In that semester, all we were taught is a basic understanding of predicting weather in southeast Wisconsin. It ain't much, but I retained most of what I learned.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
In that semester, all we were taught is a basic understanding of predicting weather in southeast Wisconsin. It ain't much, but I retained most of what I learned.
Ah, maybe that's why they didn't bother with weather when I was in high school... nothing to predict because if the weather dude said "rain", he had a 99 and 44/100th % chance of being right any day of the year... I grew up in northern Orygun, just outside of Porkland. The bumper stickers said, "Last year, 365 Oregonians fell off their bicycles... and drowned."

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Ah, maybe that's why they didn't bother with weather when I was in high school... nothing to predict because if the weather dude said "rain", he had a 99 and 44/100th % chance of being right any day of the year... I grew up in northern Orygun, just outside of Porkland. The bumper stickers said, "Last year, 365 Oregonians fell off their bicycles... and drowned."
I remember seeing a sign on a restaurant up there. "If it doesn't rain today, lunch is on us"

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Rich, you didn't respond when I asked how was your day...........must have been a doozy I assume....:(

Went to the MRI joint this morning, that turned into a 1-3/4 hour gig....must have been inside that damn machine for 30+ minutes. But I didn't hear anyone say..."Oh my God".....:teehee:

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Rich, you didn't respond when I asked how was your day...........must have been a doozy I assume....:(

Went to the MRI joint this morning, that turned into a 1-3/4 hour gig....must have been inside that damn machine for 30+ minutes. But I didn't hear anyone say..."Oh my God".....:teehee:
Just routine boring stuff. We emptied/scrubbed/refilled the horse trough (very very dirty) and crap like that. The sun did eventually come out and burn off the fog and I think it got to 64 or 65 degrees (but not the forecast 75). I chased down two new baby kittens who were wandering out of one of the brush piles and had them climbing all over my body while I tried to find their mommy (they are soooooo cute). Don't even know what the final total is on feral cats here, but it must be near 20 by now, and a couple of those already decided to move into the house. Good thing I'm a cataholic.... :rolleyes:

So when will you find out the MRI results? I really don't like it when the machine operator makes comments. Before my last MRI, I had an Xray of the same area and she said, "Wow! That really IS messed up" (which was against the rules for her to say) but they are not allowed to let you see it until after the doctor sees it and, of course, they are not qualified to make a real diagnosis, but making a comment like that fucks with your head until you can get the "official" word, which could be weeks away.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Well, about that time, Rich...looks it's you and me left....my lights are going out quickly.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Just routine boring stuff. We emptied/scrubbed/refilled the horse trough (very very dirty) and crap like that. The sun did eventually come out and burn off the fog and I think it got to 64 or 65 degrees (but not the forecast 75). I chased down two new baby kittens who were wandering out of one of the brush piles and had them climbing all over my body while I tried to find their mommy (they are soooooo cute). Don't even know what the final total is on feral cats here, but it must be near 20 by now, and a couple of those already decided to move into the house. Good thing I'm a cataholic.... :rolleyes:

So when will you find out the MRI results? I really don't like it when the machine operator makes comments. Before my last MRI, I had an Xray of the same area and she said, "Wow! That really IS messed up" (which was against the rules for her to say) but they are not allowed to let you see it until after the doctor sees it and, of course, they are not qualified to make a real diagnosis, but making a comment like that fucks with your head until you can get the "official" word, which could be weeks away.
They said I'd have the results tomorrow.....but I haven't had any pain in awhile. Hopefully it's nothing.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
KY has over 1/2 as may cows as people.
Somehow I would not doubt that, Crom. For us here at Love Acres, the count at this moment is 6 cows to 2 people, or 3:1 bovines-to-humans. But my nearest neighbor has three people at their place and appx. 300 cows, so they'd be ~100:1, and the next neighbor down the road is four people to 500 cows, or 125:1 and the next one down the [gravel] road is 4 people and over 1000 cows, or >250:1. Heavy sigh... Given that cows do not carry smart phones or watch TV weather forecasts, maybe NWS has a valid assumption. Rain? No rain? Does a cow care? Then why should NWS care?

Last edited:

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Was just reading the refugee thread, ol chopdoc is having more heart problems, which I hope subside.
I don't think I have talked to Chopdoc in about a year, and that was probably on ECF because I don't go to the Fugee thread. Did he elaborate on his heart issues? I hope he recovers and does not have any more problems in that area.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Somehow I would not doubt that, Crom. For us here at Love Acres, the count at this moment is 6 cows to 2 people, or 3:1 bovines-to-humans. But my nearest neighbor has three people at their place and appx. 300 cows, so they'd be ~100:1, and the next neighbor down the road is four people to 500 cows, or 125:1 and the next one down the [gravel] road is 4 people and over 1000 cows, or >250:1. Heavy sigh... Given that cows do not carry smart phones or watch TV weather forecasts, maybe NWS has a valid assumption. Rain? No rain? Does a cow care? Then why should NWS care?
My county hasa population of about 35,700 .
And recieved 1.5 million in government livestock subsidies among 644 recipients.

for the state in 2016 it is around 203 Million in ag subsidies
recipients total paid out
1Corn Subsidies 13,451 $77,829,6582
Conservation Reserve Program7,539 $43,026,7993
Soybean Subsidies 6,918 $40,906,5814
Wheat Subsidies 10,142 $20,898,6485
Livestock Subsidies 1,762 $4,986,5176
Price Loss Coverage - Wheat 1,922 $3,051,0867
Disaster Payments 165 $769,0788
Sorghum Subsidies 1,843 $457,3719
Canola Subsidies 25 $110,44010
Dairy Program Subsidies 52 $57,812

Last edited:

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
My county hasa population of about 35,700 .
And received 1.5 million in government livestock subsidies among 644 recipients.
Wow!
Here in SD, if you own less than 50 acres, it doesn't matter how many cows you have, you are considered a non-profit hobby farm, so you get no subsidies or even sales tax breaks for buying feed. Because we are not a business, we know nothing about government handouts.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Wow!
Here in SD, if you own less than 50 acres, it doesn't matter how many cows you have, you are considered a non-profit hobby farm, so you get no subsidies or even sales tax breaks for buying feed. Because we are not a business, we know nothing about government handouts.
45% of farmers in KY got some ag subsidies in 2016.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Wow!
That's a little backwards.....50 acres is a good chunk of land.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
That's a little backwards.....50 acres is a good chunk of land.
Many of my neighbors own 1,000 to 10,000 acres. Depending on the land (and what kind of grass it has), they figure 1 to 5 acres per cow. We have 10 acres and 6 cows and 2 horses, which is why we have no choice but to feed hay about 8 months out of the year (the natural grass cannot support that number). So the 50 acre number, if you need 5 acres per cow, would imply you will only have 10 cows. In order to be a business, you have to make a profit 3 out of every 5 years and no one is doing that with only 10 cows. If you lose money three years straight, no matter how much land you own, you get moved into the category of "hobby farmer" and lose the tax benefits.

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Many of my neighbors own 1,000 to 10,000 acres. Depending on the land (and what kind of grass it has), they figure 1 to 5 acres per cow. We have 10 acres and 6 cows and 2 horses, which is why we have no choice but to feed hay about 8 months out of the year (the natural grass cannot support that number). So the 50 acre number, if you need 5 acres per cow, would imply you will only have 10 cows. In order to be a business, you have to make a profit 3 out of every 5 years and no one is doing that with only 10 cows. If you lose money three years straight, no matter how much land you own, you get moved into the category of "hobby farmer" and lose the tax benefits.
That's pretty fucked up.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Depends on how much you sell the Cheese for.....!

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
A decent day? .... Hmmmmmm.... well, when we went out for chores this morning (ya know, milk the cows, feed everyone, etc.), we had the same thick fog as yesterday plus drizzle. While we were still out in the cow barn, it started raining and the wind howled loudly out of the north. Back to the house and I took the flag down before it got ripped off the pole (guesstimate wind at 35 gusting to 50... note that no national news reporters were hanging from the pole pretending to be blown away). The fog dissipated, and the rain died, then the temp started to drop. It made it all the way up to 54, then started downward just after noon and is still headed toward the basement. It is 31 right at this moment. Yes, first freeze of the season. I am guessing the low later tonight, now that it is calm and clear, will be somewhere around 25-27. Yes, garden is now toast.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
A decent day? .... Hmmmmmm.... well, when we went out for chores this morning (ya know, milk the cows, feed everyone, etc.), we had the same thick fog as yesterday plus drizzle. While we were still out in the cow barn, it started raining and the wind howled loudly out of the north. Back to the house and I took the flag down before it got ripped off the pole (guesstimate wind at 35 gusting to 50... note that no national news reporters were hanging from the pole pretending to be blown away). The fog dissipated, and the rain died, then the temp started to drop. It made it all the way up to 54, then started downward just after noon and is still headed toward the basement. It is 31 right at this moment. Yes, first freeze of the season. I am guessing the low later tonight, now that it is calm and clear, will be somewhere around 25-27. Yes, garden is now toast.
Sorry to hear that. Well, we all knew it was coming sooner than later, due to the global warming.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I went outside an hour ago, it actually feels PERFECT....no idea what the temp is, no thermometer here....never needed one....hot, hotter, hotter than hell.

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
So, it's just a matter of time until the white shit starts fallin from the sky. That sucks.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
It is typical here for the white that stays to start in Novulger, but we have had it in Oxtuba and last year, it was the middle of Decucumber (a few days before Christmas).

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Who knows, might be 80 next week.
Hey, anything CAN happen. Using climate stats as the guide, however, implies that highs from here until the Jingleary-Feeble thaw won't go above mid-40s. Then for one week, it might touch 60, then back to barely above freezing for 2-3 more months. But just before that one week, we often hit -20. That's when I am wishing I had a motorhome in Lake Havasu City....

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hey, anything CAN happen. Using climate stats as the guide, however, implies that highs from here until the Jingleary-Feeble thaw won't go above mid-40s. Then for one week, it might touch 60, then back to barely above freezing for 2-3 more months. But just before that one week, we often hit -20. That's when I am wishing I had a motorhome in Lake Havasu City....
Lake Hav.....hahahaha....:teehee:

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
This is a really interesting video, it's rather long, but worth watching if you have time.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Just picked that one because it appears to represent the typical snowbird mentality... summer in the north, run away to tourist mecca in winter.

In reality, I;d be much more likely to run off to Prescott and test new Ruger toys...
That's for sure....damn nice this time of year, come summer...head to the hills...in a different state.

VU Sponsors