Become a Patron!

Old Pharts Club

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The one right after the video. I figured you have been here longer and are, to some extent anyway, a mod, so maybe you'd have seen that before. Oh well... (just liked three more and it didn't happen again)
I thought you were joking......:)

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I thought you were joking......:)
Nope. The page had a banner like the one at the top of this page (Vaping Underground) then a simple one line question: Are you sure you want to LIKE this post? YES NO. I hit YES and it returned to the Old Phart thread and your post was liked. Never seen that before.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Nope. The page had a banner like the one at the top of this page (Vaping Underground) then a simple one line question: Are you sure you want to LIKE this post? YES NO. I hit YES and it returned to the Old Phart thread and your post was liked. Never seen that before.
Neither have I....could be someone fucking around with the forum software.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
You get that too?....I got it on one of my cells, not the other.
At 12:20 MDST (appx) today, there was a "national" test (i.e., originating from federal government) -- it should have hit every radio and TV in the country.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Rich, you have a basement to keep squash, and other long lasting veggies?
We do have a dungeon, but that's where the library and the computers are located (plus water pressure tank, hot water heater, etc.), so I can't let it get cold enough to use it like a root cellar.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Gotcha. I always wanted one, but it would do much good here.
Eventually, I want to build an honest-to-gawd underground storage building. You could call it a root cellar or, as some of the neighbors are more likely to say, a prepper's shelter. I simply want a giant underground pantry for food and a small hydroponics set-up.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Eventually, I want to build an honest-to-gawd underground storage building. You could call it a root cellar or, as some of the neighbors are more likely to say, a prepper's shelter. I simply want a giant underground pantry for food and a small hydroponics set-up.
That would be the cats ass for hydroponics...!

Lannie

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
OK, Dale, it's freezing-ass cold outside this morning and the current forecast says rain and snow mixed for today, so we can talk about snow now, and I won't freak out and get the shakes. I'm ready. As Rich said, there are some butternut squash still out in the garden, and a few cabbages, if the rabbits haven't eaten them (the feral cats destroyed the screened cage we had over them), and that's about it. The green tomatoes that are still out there I'll make into pickles, and then I can search for bean pods and such. I haven't been out there yet today to assess the damage, but hopefully enough weeds died that I can start sifting through the remains to find anything usable. At this point, I'm just searching for seed for next year. To plant in POTS. I'd really like to put a torch to the garden and burn the crap out of that bindweed (and everything else), but it wouldn't kill the roots, so it would just make ME feel better to do it. Actually, what I need to do is spray vinegar all over it, heavily. So far, that's the only thing I've read about that works. I don't know if it really does, and I couldn't test the theory while the garden was actively growing, but maybe in the spring, when it's just starting up again, and will drink in the vinegar... it might work, who knows?

Sarah, your best deal on cheese would probably be Wal-Mart. They seem to have the cheapest cheese, at least in our area.

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
OK, Dale, it's freezing-ass cold outside this morning and the current forecast says rain and snow mixed for today, so we can talk about snow now, and I won't freak out and get the shakes. I'm ready. As Rich said, there are some butternut squash still out in the garden, and a few cabbages, if the rabbits haven't eaten them (the feral cats destroyed the screened cage we had over them), and that's about it. The green tomatoes that are still out there I'll make into pickles, and then I can search for bean pods and such. I haven't been out there yet today to assess the damage, but hopefully enough weeds died that I can start sifting through the remains to find anything usable. At this point, I'm just searching for seed for next year. To plant in POTS. I'd really like to put a torch to the garden and burn the crap out of that bindweed (and everything else), but it wouldn't kill the roots, so it would just make ME feel better to do it. Actually, what I need to do is spray vinegar all over it, heavily. So far, that's the only thing I've read about that works. I don't know if it really does, and I couldn't test the theory while the garden was actively growing, but maybe in the spring, when it's just starting up again, and will drink in the vinegar... it might work, who knows?

Sarah, your best deal on cheese would probably be Wal-Mart. They seem to have the cheapest cheese, at least in our area.
I recall fondly, going to the cheese factory (name of the place) where they made and sold cheese. That stuff put all the mass industry cheese to shame. What I get now tastes flavorless in comparison.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
latest propaganda /mind control tool from the top.
Gee, Crom, do you mean to tell me that you don't want the Feds to send you a message like:

"We are under nuclear attack. You city folks have 15 minutes to bend over and kiss your asses goodbye.
For those of you who live far out in the country, you have 48 hours before you die from radiation poisoning.
Have a nice day."​

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
what I need to do is spray vinegar all over it, heavily. So far, that's the only thing I've read about that works.
Boiling water also works, but both boiling water and vinegar also kill anything else growing near the bindweed and you have to drown it every other day for weeks or it will not kill the roots.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Gee, Crom, do you mean to tell me that you don't want the Feds to send you a message like:

"We are under nuclear attack. You city folks have 15 minutes to bend over and kiss your asses goodbye.
For those of you who live far out in the country, you have 48 hours before you die from radiation poisoning.
Have a nice day."​
For what other reason than dire massive disaster would we need everyones phone paged?

Propaganda messages?

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Boiling water also works, but both boiling water and vinegar also kill anything else growing near the bindweed and you have to drown it every other day for weeks or it will not kill the roots.

Why I like roundup type stuff.
But for a total kill for at least 1/2 of a season you also need to use a pre-emergent to get all the seeds.

Yeah I know causes cancer, etc.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
For what other reason than dire massive disaster would we need everyones phone paged?
Propaganda messages?
What really bothers me about this is not the TV and radio... those are general transmissions that all stations are required to re-transmit. BUT the cell phones? How do they do that? Are all cell phone numbers on some government list? You and I, Crom, might be the most experienced on this particular thread in the electronics field. I know of no method for general transmission via all the microwave towers that would hit ALL cell phones. Granted, some folks say they never got it, so maybe not all cell phones did receive this signal. But I'd really like to know how they got it out to ANY cell phones. What's your take on this?

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Why I like roundup type stuff.
But for a total kill for at least 1/2 of a season you also need to use a pre-emergent to get all the seeds.
Yeah I know causes cancer, etc.
I refuse to use Roundup or similar chemicals anywhere on my property. It is known to kill animals that might eat the grass/weed it was sprayed on.

Oddly, I am not worried about seeds on the bindweed, but the roots. They go VERY deep and short of using a backhoe on the garden, then disposing of all that dirt and replacing it (with no guarantee the new soil won't contain root masses of this or other nasty weeds). Should I spray vinegar or boiling water on the entire garden every other day for many weeks? And then what's the guarantee that will kill roots which are several feet down?

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
What really bothers me about this is not the TV and radio... those are general transmissions that all stations are required to re-transmit. BUT the cell phones? How do they do that? Are all cell phone numbers on some government list? You and I, Crom, might be the most experienced on this particular thread in the electronics field. I know of no method for general transmission via all the microwave towers that would hit ALL cell phones. Granted, some folks say they never got it, so maybe not all cell phones did receive this signal. But I'd really like to know how they got it out to ANY cell phones. What's your take on this?
I do not know the details but in essence this must be set up with the cell carriers and they will forward the text message to all active cell numbers?
Quite a bit of computing useage needed and will slow the system down. As I said it took well over an hour for my test to get to me from when they said they were sending them. And the wife unit got hers at least 30 min later and we are the same cell carrier.

They have had this capability for a while on an area basis for disaster notifications, NWS tornado warnings, etc.

Hey an argument for free govt cell phones if they are going to be sending us alert messages on them?
Can I charge the govt for useage on my cell phone?

I would like to see telemarketers charged for their calls to my phone.
For instance if a telemarketer calls me and I answer the call my bill should be credited for .50 for each call and paid for by the telemarketer.

Why should I pay good money for someone else to profit from my having the service?

Last edited:

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I refuse to use Roundup or similar chemicals anywhere on my property. It is known to kill animals that might eat the grass/weed it was sprayed on.

Oddly, I am not worried about seeds on the bindweed, but the roots. They go VERY deep and short of using a backhoe on the garden, then disposing of all that dirt and replacing it (with no guarantee the new soil won't contain root masses of this or other nasty weeds). Should I spray vinegar or boiling water on the entire garden every other day for many weeks? And then what's the guarantee that will kill roots which are several feet down?
Weeds literally grow like in a greenhouse here.
And I have plenty of the morning glory weed stuff.
To keep a decent garden here requires working it at least every 3 days for weeds and such.
Then there are the Japanese beetles, cut worms, etc...
Sevin for that. With the frequent rains and such the non chemical pest controls do not work worth a darn here.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I do not know the details but in essence this must be set up with the cell carriers and they will forward the text message to all active cell numbers? They have had this capability for a while on an area basis for disaster notifications, NWS tornado warnings, etc.
Does this mean they plan to get rid of the old siren warning systems? What about those of us who very seldom watch TV or listen to radio and do not even own a damn cell phone, much less have is stuck in my ear all day?

I would like to see telemarketers charged for their calls to my phone.
My phone is a land line, but I'd like those assholes to pay every time they call me too. They can either send me cash or credit my phone bill. :)

And yes, I signed up for that stupid "no solicitor calls" thingie and did you know it does not stop politicians or charities from calling you and begging you for donations?

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Not ever seeing bindweed myself....as you noted, those are about the only options, with no guarantee....one link mentioned Mites which eat it, I assume they probably eat everything else too.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
And yes, I signed up for that stupid "no solicitor calls" thingie and did you know it does not stop politicians or charities from calling you and begging you for donations?
Does this mean they plan to get rid of the old siren warning systems? What about those of us who very seldom watch TV or listen to radio and do not even own a damn cell phone, much less have is stuck in my ear all day?

My phone is a land line, but I'd like those assholes to pay every time they call me too. They can either send me cash or credit my phone bill. :)

Yeah and lots ignore the Cell Phone do not call list.

I ask for names and headquarters phone numbers and addresses and tell them it is so I can report them to the FCC for violating the do not call list at $1,000 per violation.
They generally do not call back.

Charities and politicians though.
Again I feel it is wrong to use service I pay for for their own gain.
And a phone call will never sway my vote. Unless they aggravate me enough and cause me to vote against them.
But to get me to vote for them? No way in hell.

I do really like the feature of seeing who is calling before I answer.
And if I do not recognize the number or name I do not answer. I have voice mail if they do not leave a message too bad.
I am not one that rushes to answer a phone anyway.
My time and attention is not demanded by phones and such.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Think I average about 3 spam calls per day, just keep blocking numbers, have no idea who's selling the phone numbers, but it wouldn't surprise me if google was doing it.
I just have a list in my phone titled 'asshole' and I add all the repeat spammers numbers to it.
So if they call me it tells me truthfully that asshole is calling and to ignore it.

VU Sponsors