Become a Patron!

Old Pharts Club

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I am wishing for more days like today (to act like the spoiled rotten brats of today's society: AND I WANT IT NOW!), but the forecast says we have a 30% chance of more snow tomorrow,

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Yeah, me too. Gotta rub Ouchie Fixit all over my body before crawling in bed to, hopefully, stop the leg cramps that usually follow a tough shopping day.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
While this morning's trip to the barns suggested a nasty day (overcast, dark, breezy, 33 degrees), we got lucky and the major portion of that storm went south of us. While it did not snow on us today, the high only made 41 and we never saw a ray of sunshine. Tomorrow, they are forecasting 40-50% chance of snow. Sigh...

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Looks about like our weather. Pretty normal weather for this time of year.

I got a buddy in S.D though., he's pretty much stuck in his Apt for awhile..
Where you located Caff?...up north somewhere I assume.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Agree, we got a state park and a river running through the middle of town. :)
Ya, we got city-problems, but then again, it's everywhere. Like where ya live, or don't live there, I say.
Never been there, but it's always been on my to-do list.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I got a buddy in S.D though., he's pretty much stuck in his Apt for awhile
Which part of SD does your buddy reside in? Apartment? Ah, a city person. Us country folks cannot allow ourselves to be "stuck" in our houses because if we don't get out and do our chores,regardless of how deep the snow is, our animals die. Not acceptable.

Last edited:

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I think Rich spent a good bit of time up in your neck-o-da-woods.....perhaps Oregon tho.
Born and raised SW of Porkland. ;) Lived many years in central Orygun (Bend/Redmond), but I have done Seattle, Yakima, Spokane, etc. on through the Idahoers to Missoula, MT. I much prefer being next to mountains as opposed to the flat lands like Spokane, but gawd only knows how the hell I ended up becoming a Greta Plains prairie dawg.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Always wanted to spend some time in Idaho....friend of mine moved there, he LOVES it. Went from the 115F desert to -40 in the Idaho winters. He said it's a dry cold though......:teehee:

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Born and raised SW of Porkland. ;) Lived many years in central Orygun (Bend/Redmond), but I have done Seattle, Yakima, Spokane, etc. on through the Idahoers to Missoula, MT. I much prefer being next to mountains as opposed to the flat lands like Spokane, but gawd only knows how the hell I ended up becoming a Greta Plains prairie dawg.

Spokane is hardly flatland, you're thinking of Montana.
We're in a glacial valley and have a ski mountain. :D

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Which part of SD does your buddy reside in? Apartment? Ah, a city person. Us country folks cannot allow ourselves to be "stuck" in our houses because of we don't get out and do our chores,regardless of how deep the snow is, our animals die. Not acceptable.

Ya, and I have heat and power.
Stocked up in case there ain't. Icestorm '96 was a PITA.

Where I grew up in the sticks, we didn't most of the time. Was a great life for Mom...not that she had a choice. She's dead now, I got taken away by CPS at 13, and Dad's gonna die alone in the middle of nowhere. Good.

Can't drive anymore so rural living is kinda out for me.

Was raised in the BFE, screw that. Where I'm at I'm minutes away from nature pretty much at any time, but I prefer letting the mexicans the landlord pay shovel my snow.

Why do ya'll hate cities so much? Life is where ya make it man.

Last edited:

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Spokane is hardly flatland, you're thinking of Montana.
We're in a glacial valley and have a ski mountain.
It is not my intent to berate where you live or why anyone lives where they do. Yes, there is a ski mountain outside of Spokane, but the city itself is flatland and gets weather like many flatland areas, as opposed to mountainous areas ( I get flatland weather too but with no mountains to provide any blocking). One of my nieces lives in Spokane and given she was born and raised in the northern Willamette Valley of Orygun, I never understood her choice. But hell, there's a lot of things that people do that I do not understand. As you suggest, that's their choice.
Why do ya'll hate cities so much? Life is where ya make it man.
I hate cities because I do not want to be forced to tolerate the bullshit my neighbors do. I have lived in cities and I refuse to ever do it again. I would never survive because I would blow a hole in the apartment wall to get the bastard to turn down his roaring rap music. He might be entitled to listen to that shit, but he is not entitled to force me to listen to it. Out here, it is over a mile to my nearest neighbor and I don't have to put up with whatever they want to do and they don't have to put up with my life choices.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
It is not my intent to berate where you live or why anyone lives where they do. Yes, there is a ski mountain outside of Spokane, but the city itself is flatland and gets weather like many flatland areas, as opposed to mountainous areas ( I get flatland weather too but with no mountains to provide any blocking). One of my nieces lives in Spokane and given she was born and raised in the northern Willamette Valley of Orygun, I never understood her choice. But hell, there's a lot of things that people do that I do not understand. As you suggest, that's their choice.

I hate cities because I do not want to be forced to tolerate the bullshit my neighbors do. I have lived in cities and I refuse to ever do it again. I would never survive because I would blow a hole in the apartment wall to get the bastard to turn down his roaring rap music. He might be entitled to listen to that shit, but he is not entitled to force me to listen to it. Out here, it is over a mile to my nearest neighbor and I don't have to put up with whatever they want to do and they don't have to put up with my life choices.
Agree 1000% +++

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Life is always a balance between what you want and are capable of and what everyone else wants or expects of you.

Do I like screaming kids and rap music? Hell no.
But I live within my means and have a stable life that ain't so bad despite poverty. I'm content for the most part.

I respect ya wanting to be apart from it all, shit, I wish Canada still did homesteading, I'd be tempted to go there and snag a property. Hell, I bet I could get into a house here if I wanted, but I know I wouldn't be able to take care of it.

BillW was right about one thing:

serenity-prayer.jpg

Last edited:

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I live within my means and have a stable life that ain't so bad.
You have made your choice, Caff. I am 100% disabled and live only on my social security, but by being a frugal Scrooge, I managed to buy a small hobby farm and support a wife, 6 cows, a horse, 50 chickens and guineas, 4 dogs, and 27 cats. One of the things I hate most in life is to say "I can't" even though sometimes it happens that way, but I do my damnedest to find a way. I am slow as hell now (70 years old with a lot of broken body parts), but I find a way to make things happen that need to happen for us to live as we so choose. I do not choose to force us to contend with any of the shit any neighbor might subject us to and, the last I checked, my wife cannot have her milk cows in an apartment building in the city. Our house is almost 90 years old and is a piece of shit that needs tons of work. One day I will get it fixed. Hell, if I fall off the roof and break my neck, at least my wife will get enough insurance money to pay someone to fix it properly (there is a good side to such an accident). :) Live, Love, Laugh, but do it YOUR way. Never allow someone else to make your life choices for you. My philosophy. You are free to make your own.

Right at the moment, there are four cats near this computer demanding I come to bed and snuggle them, so I'm gonna log off now. Yak at y'all tomorrow.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Parts of the state have had their earliest 70-degree readings on record. Klawock, a town in southeastern Alaska, reached 70 F on March 19 -- the earliest any spot in the state has hit that high.
More records are expected to be broken this weekend, with temperatures soaring as much as 50 degrees above normal in the fastest-warming state.
Meanwhile, Northeastern cities such as Boston are still awaiting a 70-degree day more than a week after spring officially began.

Anchorage sees no measurable snow in March
Since the beginning of the month, Alaska has seen 55 tied or broken record daily highs through March 23, according to National Oceanic And Atmospheric Administration.
On Saturday, Anchorage is expecting a high of 46 F, which will be warmer than many places in the Plains, stretching as far south as Oklahoma.
Anchorage hit 48 F on Monday, tying a previous record set in 1970.
Alaska's most populous city also has had no measurable snow in March for the second time on record.

Brian Brettschneider@Climatologist49

https://twitter.com/Climatologist49/status/1111132899296739328

Given the sunny forecast the next 7 days, it is a certainty that Anchorage will have no measurable snow for the month of March. Just the second time on record. @DaveSnider @AlaskaWx

Fairbanks is no different. Until this week, the city had never had consecutive days in March when temperatures stayed above freezing. On Monday and Tuesday mornings, the temps didn't dip below 34 F.
According to Alaska-based climatologist Brian Brettschneider, "the earliest date for back-to-back above freezing low temperatures was April 15-16, 1978."
Kotzebue, north of the Arctic Circle, set or tied the daily record high every day this week as of Thursday, with temperatures just above freezing.
The town also set or tied a record-high minimum temperature nine times this month.

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Meanwhile... in Texas, it is already 79 and climbing. The garden is planted. Radishes and turnips are the first to sprout. Watering is done by a 400 gallon water tote filled with rain water, and a hose leading to soaker hoses in the garden.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hear AK has had some record temps, which seem to be eluding your part of duh-state.....:teehee:

You'll have the last laugh next year tho....I can read it now...it was 79 today, and will be until next year on the same date.....:giggle:

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hope Juice doesn't mind sweating because even when it is not raining, the humidity is 90+%... no matter which way the wind blows, on an island it is coming from the water. ;)
I really enjoy the weather there, even tho I'm a desert rat.

I think the beauty may negate the humidity dilema (for me anyway)....:)

It's quite humid in EC, but it doesn't seem to bother me much......although Florida is a completely different beast, for some reason I just can't take it....during the summer, when it's just unbearable.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I'll grant that my only experience with Hawai'i was Oahu, the 30 feet from the plane to the terminal in Honolulu made my clean cotton short sleeve shirt totally wet. By the end of the week, I was used to it, but still very uncomfortable. Of course, I was living in the High Desert of central Orygun at the time with an average humidity of about 28%.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
I really enjoy the weather there, even tho I'm a desert rat.

I think the beauty may negate the humidity dilema (for me anyway)....:)

It's quite humid in EC, but it doesn't seem to bother me much......although Florida is a completely different beast, for some reason I just can't take it....during the summer, when it's just unbearable.

Yeah, have never minded the humidity there, not like southern US humidity at all

I'm on my countdown to spend most of next month there, am about to climb out of my skin :bunny:

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I'll grant that my only experience with Hawai'i was Oahu, the 30 feet from the plane to the terminal in Honolulu made my clean cotton short sleeve shirt totally wet. By the end of the week, I was used to it, but still very uncomfortable. Of course, I was living in the High Desert of central Orygun at the time with an average humidity of about 28%.
It's definitely different, especially when accustomed to low humidity. It takes me a couple days to acclimate when I'm in EC....after a couple days, I don't even think about humidity. Although the temperatures are nowhere near 90 degrees.

Mid 70's are the norm.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hit 70 here today. Started raining about dark. Nice day.
High tomorrow supposed to be 43.

fixed supper a while ago.
Spaghetti, salad and garlic bread.
Kinda bloated now.

Had my 3rd day off as Uberman :bunny:
Back on Uber shift tomorrow for a few days.
Then go order stuff to build a porch with.
Including nailgun. Poor ol shoulder cannot handle hammering a bunch of nails in.

VU Sponsors