Become a Patron!

Old Pharts Club

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Did Lannie make some type of herbal remedy that seemed to work?
She's doing special chicken and rice for the Doberman with a hit of herbal tea, but the Malinois just got a couple syringes of Pepto Bismol :) to stop the diarrhea, which allows Lannie to move from the couch to the bed.

And speaking of the bed, I have had a pretty rough day (physically) and need to crawl under some kitties.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
She's doing special chicken and rice for the Doberman with a hit of herbal tea, but the Malinois just got a couple syringes of Pepto Bismol :) to stop the diarrhea, which allows Lannie t move from the couch to the bed.

And speaking of the bed, I have had a pretty rough day (physically) and need to crawl under some kitties.
Have a good hump day....:)

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Evening Dale. Hey, ya know that forecast for us that you posted last night? What did Wednesday say? Oh, how about...
wed.JPG
Cloudy? Yes, totally overcast all day, thick enough and dark enough to make one feel like we lived in the arctic. Visibility no more than 1 mile. High and low temps 42/34? Close: It was 40/33 but the 40 ºF was only there for about two minutes. Actually, it was pretty close to 37 ºF all day long. 20% chance of precipitation? Well, that's where they blew it 100% because this morning it was rain and snow mixed, which turned to rain that went on/off/on all day long. Wind 17 mph? Close, but more like 20G25 all day. Let's see.... 33 ºF with 25 mph wind = chill factor of 20 ºF. But I do hope this "warming trend" continues... ;)

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Evening Dale. Hey, ya know that forecast for us that you posted last night? What did Wednesday say? Oh, how about...
View attachment 135097
Cloudy? Yes, totally overcast all day, thick enough and dark enough to make one feel like we lived in the arctic. Visibility no more than 1 mile. High and low temps 42/34? Close: It was 40/33 but the 40 ºF was only there for about two minutes. Actually, it was pretty close to 37 ºF all day long. 20% chance of precipitation? Well, that's where they blew it 100% because this morning it was rain and snow mixed, which turned to rain that went on/off/on all day long. Wind 17 mph? Close, but more like 20G25 all day. Let's see.... 33 ºF with 25 mph wind = chill factor of 20 ºF. But I do hope this "warming trend" continues... ;)
Good lord....blows my mind....and I know it blows yours too.....:(..........:)

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
This is a good video, but fairly long. Regarding patented big-pharma (medicine), oops...I meant poison.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Only the first few inches. And we still have areas with 3-8 foot snow drifts that won't be going away anytime soon (of course, the warmer the quicker).
Hard to believe, frost in April.

Is this the norm in years past?

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Guess it's just been one of those years, Rich....not much luck in your life the past year.

I wouldn't be buying lotto tickets......:devil:

But....it can only get better, not sure it could become worse.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Oh, I haven't even bothered to mention the hundreds of repairs I need to do and the thousands and thousands of dollars it will cost that we don't have... But, hell, that's part of life. One day at a time... Oh, by the way, how much does a lottery ticket cost these days? o_O

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I don't believe I have purchased one since the mid-1980s. I won $50 and figured that was my one shot at getting something for only a dollar and it would never happen again, so I haven't bothered. What are the odds now? 3.5 billion to 1? No thanks....

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I don't believe I have purchased one since the mid-1980s. I won $50 and figured that was my one shot at getting something for only a dollar and it would never happen again, so I haven't bothered. What are the odds now? 3.5 billion to 1? No thanks....
About the same here, although never won a penny.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
About the same here, although never won a penny.
I was always told that only those who truly believe they are winners will ever win anything. Guess my problem is that I have always believed I have to work for what I get.
Dogs doing better, Rich?
They seem to be. Gonna be keeping a close eye on the Dobie and her ulcer/hypothyroid issues.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I was always told that only those who truly believe they are winners will ever win anything. Guess my problem is that I have always believed I have to work for what I get.

They seem to be. Gonna be keeping a close eye on the Dobie and her ulcer/hypothyroid issues.
That's good to hear, guess you don't have all bad luck.

Well, time for me to hit the rack...have a good Thursday..!

Lannie

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hard to believe, frost in April.

Is this the norm in years past?

Actually, it IS normal, although we don't like it. Our "last frost" date is May 15th, and we've had it as late as May 27th. We're in Zone 4, so the USUAL frost-free months are June, July, and August. It doesn't usually freeze or snow much past the end of April, but it can, and we've had a single sub-freezing night as early as mid-September, just cold enough to kill off 90% of the garden, then be perfectly beautiful (and above freezing) for another month. The weather here is always whacked out. The only things we can be certain of are that it WILL go below zero for a while every winter, and it WILL go above 100 for a while every summer.

Lannie (the obsessive Keeper of the Weather Records) ;)

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I am in full agreement with Lannie's statements above, but I am also sure she is referring only to surface frost (that which affects the plants) and my last comment was about sub-surface frost/frozen soil. My mind is, at the moment, fixated on getting the fences repaired and until the ground thaws sufficiently for me to dig a post hole (to remove old shattered post wood and install new one), I cannot fix the gate in the cross fence. Even though we do occasionally have surface frosting until late May, the ground is usually thawed enough for me to dig no later than mid-April and often as early as mid-March.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I am really too tired to hang around here tonight, but my insatiable curiosity made me peek in to see if you had anything to say.
How'd the guessers do today, Rich?
Well, the day started about 36 ºF with fog, 1/4-mile visibility, wind about 20 mph and something just less than full-on rain -- closer to drizzle/mist. That lasted until about noon, then we got a partly cloudy sky and the thermometer started over-heating. I think our high for today was 62 ºF. Your forecast above does not show their guess for today's high, but ours said it would be only 57 ºF and we went 5 ºF over that. Lots more snow melted, so we have only a few thousand tons of that shit left. ;)

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I am really too tired to hang around here tonight, but my insatiable curiosity made me peek in to see if you had anything to say.

Well, the day started about 36 ºF with fog, 1/4-mile visibility, wind about 20 mph and something just less than full-on rain -- closer to drizzle/mist. That lasted until about noon, then we got a partly cloudy sky and the thermometer started over-heating. I think our high for today was 62 ºF. Your forecast above does not show their guess for today's high, but ours said it would be only 57 ºF and we went 5 ºF over that. Lots more snow melted, so we have only a few thousand tons of that shit left. ;)
Sounds like the beginning of SPRING to me, hope it keeps on keeping on......:)

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Haven't done jackshit with the garden here, haven't had a spare moment this week or last.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Sounds like the beginning of SPRING to me, hope it keeps on keeping on......:)
Yeah, finally. I hope it keeps going in this direction.
Can you see the dirt in the garden yet?
Nope, but it is close.

Sorry to bail out on ya so early, but I am crashing at the keyboard. Have a great Friday and with any luck, I'll have more energy tomorrow night.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yeah, finally. I hope it keeps going in this direction.

Nope, but it is close.

Sorry to bail out on ya so early, but I am crashing at the keyboard. Have a great Friday and with any luck, I'll have more energy tomorrow night.
Have a good one, Rich...get some rest....!

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Think I'm skipping the garden this year....plant a few matter plants in 5-gallon pails, call it a season.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Should be able to see the dirt in the garden today?
Most, but there's still a few drifts in there.

Today I think I did more physical labor in one day than I have done since last summer, and most of it was destructive. That is, during winter months, I pile all our garbage bags (and used feed bags filled with garbage) in the shop because, due to snow, I cannot get to or use the burn barrel. Well, it is coming apart anyway, so I've been waiting for the snow to melt off the brush piles so I could put the garbage out there and burn both brush and garbage together. Still had to wear my boots because I had to cross a drift in order to get to the brush piles, and I collected garbage from the cow barn, horse barn, house, and shop and, all together, carted 42 bags outside and carried them over the drift to burn them. Then, while that was smoking up the place real good, I went into the hay room (where I could keep an eye on the fire) and carried out several pallets to stack outside, raked all the chaff into a pile for use as future bedding, and rearranged some of the supplies/equipment. As soon as the fire had reduced itself to smouldering instead of open flame, I went to the shop and put green slime in the tires of Lannie's milk equipment cart and pumped them up again. Then dragged my wasted ass into the house for dinner and more pain pills.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Most, but there's still a few drifts in there.

Today I think I did more physical labor in one day than I have done since last summer, and most of it was destructive. That is, during winter months, I pile all our garbage bags (and used feed bags filled with garbage) in the shop because, due to snow, I cannot get to or use the burn barrel. Well, it is coming apart anyway, so I've been waiting for the snow to melt off the brush piles so I could put the garbage out there and burn both brush and garbage together. Still had to wear my boots because I had to cross a drift in order to get to the brush piles, and I collected garbage from the cow barn, horse barn, house, and shop and, all together, carted 42 bags outside and carried them over the drift to burn them. Then, while that was smoking up the place real good, I went into the hay room (where I could keep an eye on the fire) and carried out several pallets to stack outside, raked all the chaff into a pile for use as future bedding, and rearranged some of the supplies/equipment. As soon as the fire had reduced itself to smouldering instead of open flame, I went to the shop and put green slime in the tires of Lannie's milk equipment cart and pumped them up again. Then dragged my wasted ass into the house for dinner and more pain pills.
Doesn't sound like a glorifying day.....:cry:

I worked in my office as long as I could take it, then went and did some running around doing things I've put off, like getting a haircut (as one example). Then went back to finishing up tax shit so it's done before April 15th rather than Dec 15th.....:sad:

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Looks like decent weather your way the next few days, hope it doesn't rain everyday like their guessing.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
finishing up tax shit so it's done before April 15th
Don't ya just hate this month?

Looks like decent weather your way the next few days, hope it doesn't rain everyday like their guessing.
Actually, if you look at the weather map instead of just the forecast, you can see a nasty storm pushing across here and, lucky for us, most of it will be south of us (Nebraska will be getting blizzards), so the rain that will hit us from the far northern portion of the low pressure center will be a blessing... Shit! Anything is better than another fucking blizzard.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Don't ya just hate this month?

Actually, if you look at the weather map instead of just the forecast, you can see a nasty storm pushing across here and, lucky for us, most of it will be south of us (Nebraska will be getting blizzards), so the rain that will hit us from the far northern portion of the low pressure center will be a blessing... Shit! Anything is better than another fucking blizzard.
Your correct. I haven't had the time to look at actual weather patterns, just a quick glance at the general forecast for the town nearest you. I need to get accustomed to looking at the jet stream patterns - etc, to see what's actually going on.

What website do you recommend?

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
It's not much of a job to predict the weather here....it will be warm, hot, hot as hell, with zero chance of rain.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Took a nice picture of a cacti in full bloom this morning, this fucking forum any allows Kodak point-shoot photos I assume....unreal

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
What website do you recommend?
Well, we use two. One of them is Weather Underground set for the village of Faith. The other is a NWS "point forecast" (I went to their site and input my exact latitude and longitude), but I have discovered that the problem with that is that they are not really forecasting for my exact location but interpolating between forecasts on either side of me. We are kind of in a small horseshoe valley that causes weather passing though here to halt and swirl right over us before moving on and they do not account for such local geographical anomalies.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Well, we use two. One of them is Weather Underground set for the village of Faith. The other is a NWS "point forecast" (I went to their site and input my exact latitude and longitude), but I have discovered that the problem with that is that they are not really forecasting for my exact location but interpolating between forecasts on either side of me. We are kind of in a small horseshoe valley that causes weather passing though here to halt and swirl right over us before moving on and they do not account for such local geographical anomalies.
I can understand that....but what's new right?

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Well Rich, it's about time to call it a day. Hope you have a good one tomorrow.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
That's what I have....it keeps saying the MB is too large......even after snipping it.....:devil:
What it wants you to do is run it through a photo program and reduce the total pixel count which will make the total file size smaller. I typically set all mine to about 150 pix/inch and they all load without problems. My best camera, however, is set to capture at about 700 and none of those will load here unless I downsize them. Just trimming the excess off the outer edges will seldom make it small enough to load.
Well Rich, it's about time to call it a day. Hope you have a good one tomorrow.
Yeah, me too. It is way past bedtime for this ancient fossil, so I'm gonna go put my aching body in bed now too. Catch ya later, amigo.

VU Sponsors