Become a Patron!

On today's episode of What's Causing My Dry Hits?...

I just recently started vaping as an alternative to smoking and to be honest it's a little overwhelming. I bought a Kanger Subox Mini-C(VW 7-50W, 0.5 ohm SSOCC Nichrome coil) and some 80 VG strawberry juice with 6mg nicotine. I was absolutely loving my new vape! I went back to the local shop to stock up on coils as the starter kit only came with one, and I impulsively bought some citrus flavored juice which I believe is a 50/50 blend, also with 6 mg nicotine. When I changed coils and filled up with the new juice I couldn't help but have my coils flood and kept getting brutal dry hits. I tried a few different coils and had no luck, changed wattages with still no improvement. So I eventually gave up and went back to the 80VG strawberry juice and all was well again. Was my issue simply a matter of juice? Do I need to use higher VG blends like 70/30, 80/20? Help a newbie out please!

BKTOAD

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You would typically have more dry hit problems with higher vg, rather than the 50/50, since vg is thicker and not as easily wicked. And more leaking problems with the 50/50 than high vg since 50/50 is thinner.

So you kinda have an odd problem.

Did you use the same coil for both juices to rule out a bad coil?

Also citrus juices can be a bit harsh, so I wonder if you are mistaking the harshness for a dry hit?

Paratech

I forgot
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You said it came with a Nichrome coil.
If your new coils weren't Nichrome coil as your first coil was, that may cause a difference in settings.

You would typically have more dry hit problems with higher vg, rather than the 50/50, since vg is thicker and not as easily wicked. And more leaking problems with the 50/50 than high vg since 50/50 is thinner.

So you kinda have an odd problem.

Did you use the same coil for both juices to rule out a bad coil?

Also citrus juices can be a bit harsh, so I wonder if you are mistaking the harshness for a dry hit?

I read online that citrus juices can be a little harsh, but it was such a drastic difference from the strawberry juice I thought it had to be dry hits. When I bought the citrus juice, I changed the coil and filled up, got the harsh/dry hits. Tried another new coil and filled up again and was still getting the harsh/dry hits so I put in another coil and went back to the 80VG mix. Maybe it is just a harsh flavour, but like I said, it was such a drastic difference from the smooth strawberry juice I had I figured there had to be some other issue. Thanks for the help!

mikeyboy74

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Just changed out an SSOCC 0.5, because I couldn't clear it from flooding. It was not burned. A couple of bad coils in a pack would not be out of the question.

Lots of coil options for your Kanger, like the OCC vertical 0.5, Clapton 0.5, and some from outside vendors like Coil Art and Vaporwerx, and some above-ohm coils for those so inclined.

Did they show you how to prime the coils when you got the setup? As in putting a few drops down the center of the coil, in the juice holes on the side, and letting it sit a few minutes for the cotton to absorb, while starting low and gradually increasing the power, taking a few dry hits along the way? With the new regs, maybe some shops are cautious about showing stuff like this to new vapors. If not done, perhaps the coil was giving dry hits, then flooding when vaped harder, trying to compensate.

Just changed out an SSOCC 0.5, because I couldn't clear it from flooding. It was not burned. A couple of bad coils in a pack would not be out of the question.

Lots of coil options for your Kanger, like the OCC vertical 0.5, Clapton 0.5, and some from outside vendors like Coil Art and Vaporwerx, and some above-ohm coils for those so inclined.

Did they show you how to prime the coils when you got the setup? As in putting a few drops down the center of the coil, in the juice holes on the side, and letting it sit a few minutes for the cotton to absorb, while starting low and gradually increasing the power, taking a few dry hits along the way? With the new regs, maybe some shops are cautious about showing stuff like this to new vapors. If not done, perhaps the coil was giving dry hits, then flooding when vaped harder, trying to compensate.

I knew before hand from messing around with my brothers vape and reading online that the coils need to be primed. But now that I think of it, on the 0.5 ohm coils I have now it says on the side to use them between 15-50W, and my vape is capable of 7-50W. Maybe I'm vaping the juice at too high of a wattage when I should be below 15?

mikeyboy74

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
That 0.5 SSOCC coil should be able to do a lot more than 15w. For me, 50w would be too hot, but something in the 28-34 range could work.

TheRealSean

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Last burnt hit I had took over hour to recover from it.

BKTOAD

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Also, higher pg tends to be a bit more harsh. Might be the combo of pg and citrus that just doesn't agree with you.

Just to be sure, a dry hit tastes like burnt cotton. Not just harshness.

VU Sponsors