Become a Patron!

Post your builds

Dutch0hms

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Looks great. 28g works better for frames if you're using a regulated mod. Keeping above 0.1ohm and keeping the mass low are super important on reglated mods.
But using dual and triple triple parallel mech mods it's not as crucial. I suppose a lower resistance might be preferred then.
thanks for the advice man should i use .3 ribbon with the 28g ?

whiteowl84

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
thanks for the advice man should i use .3 ribbon with the 28g ?
28 for 0.4mm and 30 for 0.3mm.
You can use 26g for 0.4mm and coil it but I tried a stagger using 0.3mm and 28g and the ribbon twisted inside of the wrap when I coiled it. It was perfect too.
It might work for a full clapton but I'd still opt for 30g

aspr

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
What do you guys wrap on? I still use a jig for what I can...

Qlippoth

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
A couple of stitched aliens I threw in on my mcm underground. I forgot how much I enjoyed series boxes. Too bad it's hard to build nice things on it.

0b8ab52f5f8ede8718e1c464f62ffe59.jpg
46af8a8bb915629e7064032bd193f0cd.jpg
795e62cc48078009b5fd8738861c8920.jpg
1c42a4276a9c07202b3858874ebd3d36.jpg

Sent from my VIE-L29 using Tapatalk

Qlippoth

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
That looks pretty nice from here - actually, it looks fantastic!
Thanks chef but other than alien variants sans enigmas, I'm not sure what else I can build. The fraliens are a bit too thin and a 3 ply staggerton... Visualising it gives me giggles but man. Series boxes are love. They just give that oomph and offensive, dense clouds which almost sets that this mod stays in the house.

aspr

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have a small table vise and wrap around a 3mm precision screw.

I just don't get enough usable wire to use my vise to wrap. I'll get there

whiteowl84

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I just don't get enough usable wire to use my vise to wrap. I'll get there
Raymo and I both have a coilmaster v4. I couldn't get it to coil right so I asked him how he did it...it has a slot for your wire to sit in which I thought should hold the wire but it doesn't. You leave a half inch sticking out and hold it with your thumb. After you push the first full wrap over it will stay there and you van coil how you like. Just be prepared to loose that first wrap from time to time.

I used to get nervous and forget to breath when doing aliens so I know what your going through.
"I must make every millimeter count or I won't have any legs." he said to himself.

CashNVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
how many of you guys hand wrap those complex coils? I can't see a electrical drill being of much use especially at slow speeds because brush motors are not smooth at slow speeds too much motion and uneven

I've got 5 on it!

whiteowl84

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
how many of you guys hand wrap those complex coils? I can't see a electrical drill being of much use especially at slow speeds because brush motors are not smooth at slow speeds too much motion and uneven

I've got 5 on it!
What do you mean? Using a hand drill or actually holding the wire in your hands?
I use a crap black and decker from Walmart. 30 bucks. The chuck is crap but I make it work.
For staggering I use a 5 or 6 year old Rigid 18v with cronked out batteries. Holds charge long enough for about 12" of 38g stagger fuse in low gear.
Everything I have is garbage but my wire, swvl and table. Even my chair is fucked.

Most staggering can be done pretty fast if your spacing is perfect.

Dutch0hms

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
What do you mean? Using a hand drill or actually holding the wire in your hands?
I use a crap black and decker from Walmart. 30 bucks. The chuck is crap but I make it work.
For staggering I use a 5 or 6 year old Rigid 18v with cronked out batteries. Holds charge long enough for about 12" of 38g stagger fuse in low gear.
Everything I have is garbage but my wire, swvl and table. Even my chair is fucked.

Most staggering can be done pretty fast if your spacing is perfect.
Normal staggered fused claptons at max speed aint a problem :rolleyes::)

whiteowl84

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Normal staggered fused claptons at max speed aint a problem :rolleyes::)
Yeah. When you throw ribbon in the mix it gets harder. I can do a stagger fuse and snake spine wide open but the ribbon in the middle and pinning it together keeps the clapton from stretching so I take it slow.
I'm still pretty new to SSFCs but sometimes I get one that staggers right. Others get mangled somehow and I fuse it anyway.

whiteowl84

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
8 ply snake spine.
I actually messed up really bad in the begeinning. Forgot to loosen the clapton.
Also my hammer has a rounded shape to it which messed it up.
Found a way to pin it all together so the clapton doesn't flatten and can still slide.
My 30g should be here soon...had to order another roll. I want to try it again but perfected.

Can't get a good color shot inside unfortunately. Macro should be here soon too.

Dutch0hms

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
8 ply snake spine.
I actually messed up really bad in the begeinning. Forgot to loosen the clapton.
Found a way to pin it all together so the clapton doesn't flatten and can still slide.
My 30g should be here soon...had to order another roll. I want to try it again but perfected.

Can't get a good color shot inside unfortunately. Macro should be here soon too.
Looks good to me mate, i also just started on the SSFC journey and found out that taking it a bit slower is bettter indeed.
The normal staggered fused claptons are just flying on max rpm ;)

aspr

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
8 ply snake spine.

Looks good bro

GingerBlood

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hey all, fairly new to coil making. I got aliens, hawks and some others down for the most part. My question is, how do you get the second bump on an enigma coil? Ive tried but just get the one, do I stretch the outer wire only a bit? I used 12 pieces of .4 Kanthal A1 framed with 28 ga N80 in the pic. Keeping 12 pieces of ribbon together is a pain! Sorry if its been explained and I missed it.

Attachments

• enigma v1.jpg
    enigma v1.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 40

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Hey all, fairly new to coil making. I got aliens, hawks and some others down for the most part. My question is, how do you get the second bump on an enigma coil? Ive tried but just get the one, do I stretch the outer wire only a bit? I used 12 pieces of .4 Kanthal A1 framed with 28 ga N80 in the pic. Keeping 12 pieces of ribbon together is a pain! Sorry if its been explained and I missed it.
Nice Mohawk!

Enigma requires just a bit more stretching then a mohawk,it may be easier if you just use 14ply Ribbon and do exactly what you did for the mohawk there...that should get you there.

GingerBlood

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Nice Mohawk!

Enigma requires just a bit more stretching then a mohawk,it may be easier if you just use 14ply Ribbon and do exactly what you did for the mohawk there...that should get you there.

Sounds good, Ill give it a try! Its amazing how much trial and error goes into the more advanced coils to figure out the right techniques. I remember my first mohawk was such a cluster **** I almost gave up on it all together lol

mikekscholz

Member For 4 Years
28 for 0.4mm and 30 for 0.3mm.
You can use 26g for 0.4mm and coil it but I tried a stagger using 0.3mm and 28g and the ribbon twisted inside of the wrap when I coiled it. It was perfect too.
It might work for a full clapton but I'd still opt for 30g
yea it would have been loose cus 28g is .32mm so it could move around inside the wrap

whiteowl84

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Can anyone tell me why this happens?

The one on the left got this rounded shape but the one in the middle has this nice squared off look like a staple should.
It it spool tension or something else?

mikekscholz

Member For 4 Years

The one on the left got this rounded shape but the one in the middle has this nice squared off look like a staple should.
I could be off, but i think thats the wire trying to twist becuase of being coiled, sometimes i need to use pliers and twist it flat between each wrap.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor

Too much tension on your wire while claptoning and then flatter spots are spots where you didnt use as much tension.....make sure to use the plastic bag trick and only give enough tension to keep the wire from backing up or going too far forward

aspr

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks. I didn't know you could use too much tension on the spool. I'm heavy handed. If I sign a paper I can leave a dent in wood.
I've been having the same issue with tension. I realized when I ease up the outer wrap looks so much smoother

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Thanks. I didn't know you could use too much tension on the spool. I'm heavy handed. If I sign a paper I can leave a dent in wood.
Im the same way, I broke many fishing swivels, a hammer, pliers, cutters and many other things because of this....its something you have to train yourself to not do.

HAPPY TURKEY DAY~!

aspr

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Im the same way, I broke many fishing swivels, a hammer, pliers, cutters and many other things because of this....its something you have to train yourself to not do.

HAPPY TURKEY DAY~!
When my swivel doesn't spin freely I know I need to adjust.

Happy Thanksgiving yall

whiteowl84

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I like that. Are they 80lb test? I need to rig up more. Only have two inline but it works
If you're in the market for swivels I'd highly recommended the_swvl on IG.
They have skateboard bearings so if you want to put some Swiss bearings in there you can. The stock bearing is abec 9 but I have no other info on them. Great out of the package and better with a little oil.
You don't need to worry about them wearing out and you can use a lot of tension without it slowing down.
I wish I had 2 of them so I could fix them in place and ditch the bar clamp.

Raymo recommended them and I'm so happy with it. 15 bucks shipped. I had mine within 4 days.

With my old swivels I couldn't do 0.3mm staples because of the twist.

CrazyChef

Custom Hand Crafted Coils - PureCoils.com
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Your swivels must have been lesser quality bearings, because with these I have never had a problem with twisting.

whiteowl84

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Your swivels must have been lesser quality bearings, because with these I have never had a problem with twisting.
They were worn out. It cost the same to buy a swvl so I went for it.
I don't remember the brand but 2 cost 5 bucks and I used 3. They said made in USA and I got them locally. Highest test they had. Bought 3 packs.

They were amazing at first but after 2 months or so they started to drag.

The cool thing about fishing swivels is you don't need to be perfectly square with them.

Last edited:

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Set a new record in the build community today, first ever 50g Alien Wrap and I did it on a .3 Ribbon just to add to the record...
Decore was 36g...here are some pics and some comparisons....I kept the coil itself small, I only got about 2" clean and I think it helps show how tiny it is..Even with my Macro lenses it was difficult to even capture it in detail, I had to edit the sharpness a ridiculous amount just to pronounce the wrapping..

.3R/50KD (7 Wraps/2mm ID) I dont know the resistance...

Decored:
59df4e62d4d8d25dd244de6d122054b3.jpg

Wire:
b648fa6f1a68be59fd3085da3dc4806b.jpg

Coiled and Comparison to 44g after:

34ee4ca69b93d2046dc00a9626a1dbf9.jpg
2f888b5779df6de576be53d4a952aa7c.jpg
6a71f82df0c36e6d9f1ae670e176d5bb.jpg
ae692fbdfc6203eb72aef9f08f24f675.jpg
24a57412b2b81c3994025037072bef0a.jpg

CrazyChef

Custom Hand Crafted Coils - PureCoils.com
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
They were amazing at first but after 2 months or so they started to drag.
Yes, they do tend to wear out after a while. If you look at my post above, I usually replace each set every 2 months.

aspr

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
If you're in the market for swivels I'd highly recommended the_swvl on IG.
They have skateboard bearings so if you want to put some Swiss bearings in there you can. The stock bearing is abec 9 but I have no other info on them. Great out of the package and better with a little oil.
You don't need to worry about them wearing out and you can use a lot of tension without it slowing down.
I wish I had 2 of them so I could fix them in place and ditch the bar clamp.

Raymo recommended them and I'm so happy with it. 15 bucks shipped. I had mine within 4 days.

With my old swivels I couldn't do 0.3mm staples because of the twist.
Been thinking of just making one with a skateboard bearing or rc car parts

aspr

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Set a new record in the build community today, first ever 50g Alien Wrap and I did it on a .3 Ribbon just to add to the record...
Decore was 36g...here are some pics and some comparisons....I kept the coil itself small, I only got about 2" clean and I think it helps show how tiny it is..Even with my Macro lenses it was difficult to even capture it in detail, I had to edit the sharpness a ridiculous amount just to pronounce the wrapping..

.3R/50KD (7 Wraps/2mm ID) I dont know the resistance...

Decored:
59df4e62d4d8d25dd244de6d122054b3.jpg

Wire:
b648fa6f1a68be59fd3085da3dc4806b.jpg

Coiled and Comparison to 44g after:

34ee4ca69b93d2046dc00a9626a1dbf9.jpg
2f888b5779df6de576be53d4a952aa7c.jpg
6a71f82df0c36e6d9f1ae670e176d5bb.jpg
ae692fbdfc6203eb72aef9f08f24f675.jpg
24a57412b2b81c3994025037072bef0a.jpg
Your sponsors must love you

whiteowl84

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yes, they do tend to wear out after a while. If you look at my post above, I usually replace each set every 2 months.
Exactly why I bring up the_swvl. One time purchase if you keep it oiled. I like to use alot of tension on aliens and 0.3mm staples. My fishing swivels even when new would let the wire twist alot before spinning when I pulled hard. Your swivels are probably better than the ones I can get at the bait and tackle store though.

Great job raymo! Do you have a practical application in mind or just some wow factor? It would make an insane enigma...
Seriously, thats pretty insane.
Just wondering, do you use the spin lt for micro clap?

whiteowl84

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have some rc gear left. Might try soon. But the ranch keeps me busy
I envy you. I grew up tending a farm. I miss working out in the heat all day.
Now I work at a grocery store...life is so weird.
All I want to do is work hard for fair pay and this is what I get. Ugh.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Exactly why I bring up the_swvl. One time purchase if you keep it oiled. I like to use alot of tension on aliens and 0.3mm staples. My fishing swivels even when new would let the wire twist alot before spinning when I pulled hard. Your swivels are probably better than the ones I can get at the bait and tackle store though.

Great job raymo! Do you have a practical application in mind or just some wow factor? It would make an insane enigma...
Seriously, thats pretty insane.
Just wondering, do you use the spin lt for micro clap?
I do everything on my SpinLT....I gave away my swivels to my friend in town that just started building and vaping..Im not really sure what the use of it would be, Ive already coiled it but I made it just to set the record, Thecoilguy held the previous record at 40g/48g Alien and no one has attempted higher, hopefully it stays that way. I may try it again at some point but as a mohawk instead and use that on a enigma ;)

I have some rc gear left. Might try soon. But the ranch keeps me busy
Ive heard people using the motors from hard drives also...it needs to be light and spin free....even my slash 4x4 rear hub with fasteddy bearing didnt spin as smooth as I needed it to be when I tried making my own a long ass time ago...@the_swvl is a great option for the price of most comparable bearing by themselves..

Thanks for the support and kind words guys!

whiteowl84

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Holy wire prep!
I'm over here struggling to do a 38g stagger over 0.3mm. You're making it hard to catch up. Lol.:p

I have got to get a spool tamer.:tantrum:

aspr

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Got a clothes pin. My wife had one. Will these teeth work?
75bba0c4563751e623d68257e1a844bc.jpg

VU Sponsors