Become a Patron!

Post your builds

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I did a few live video's on instagram today...was pretty impressed with how many viewers I was getting, upwareds of 200 in minutes, the most Ive seen when joining other live videos was 8 lol....I may do them more often..

I showed the spool tamer method step by step and even did it one handed and then went on to do the entire build in the following stream. There were more fuck ups then I wanted but it was a good experience and I plan on doing it again...

This was the fruits of my labor from the streams, a Hybrid Fuse SSFC, made one handed in less then 45 minutes (dual coil)

3dc9bdd51accbac7cbea3a8a7583e5c0.jpg
2c21018176dd069e27476e3814bb6c9d.jpg
13289adf2a4983a28715a128fb7510b4.jpg

I cant wait to finally start taking pics with this beast...I just need to dump another $400 into it and Ill be big league :D:cool:

a2a647c1bdca44742ce4bfcfa78c4821.jpg
043689e0d9675ff9883bc476ce9449a0.jpg
cee9f25dcf93eba7154753b3fbdfe455.jpg

CrazyChef

Custom Hand Crafted Coils - PureCoils.com
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Any one have a suggestion for either single or dual coils for a single tube mech? I want something that lights up really fast.
For mine, I prefer a 2x28/38 SS316L fused Clapton dual coil install. 6/7 wraps, 3.0mm ID. Ramp up is fast, and the build give a very flavorful vape with decent cloudage.

CrazyChef

VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Although, the tsuka (single coil) I posted earlier does surprisingly well on a single 18650 mech.
6x0.4 cores, 28g frames, .04 tsuka. all kanthal, 3/4 wraps, 3.0mm ID.

SignMan

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You can use 0.5mm. 0.4mm and 0.3mm are better for lower power applications and easier to coil. Plus they have a higher resistance, you don't want to ohm out too low.
To stack ribbon you just need to straighten it out by pulling it till it stretches a little then lay your pieces flat on the table side by side. Get some VG on your fingers and grab the ribbon keeping it all flat and parallel. Start pushing the ribbon on top of one another till it's stacked. Now you just hold it by that end letting the other end fall making an arc and run your fingers down the length.
If you get a nice perfect arc then it's stacked. Raymo has a video on how to do this:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByjxYyTSvEyBOFRwS1JZMG1kZVk

Watch Mind Forge's staggerton tutorial too. It'll teach you how to use glue and lots of other stuff.
Hell yea man thanks for the info! I never thought of putting a little vg on the strands. I bet that helps bind them together a bit. Lucky for me I have 2 liters left! I've heard the hot glue trick before but never applied it to a build, I might give that a whirl as well. Thanks for the video links I'll definitely check those out. I work a lot but in my free time I love trying new coils and mixing new juice. Im hoping you guys can help push my knowledge and skills up to the level I want to be. Everyone here is really amazing and if I don't learn something its my own damn fault! :giggle:

whiteowl84

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
One more thing. When you stretch your ribbon don't pull against the rest of the spool. You can crinkle every foot of the entire thing. I pull off what I need and pull from both ends with toothless pliers.

whiteowl84

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Although, the tsuka (single coil) I posted earlier does surprisingly well on a single 18650 mech.
6x0.4 cores, 28g frames, .04 tsuka. all kanthal, 3/4 wraps, 3.0mm ID.
Cool, thanks dude. With low builds if your coil needs any ramp up your battery life is gone. The only SS I have is 26g and 22g but I'll probably try the staple. I have 26g n80, the SS I listed and the rest is A1. I have 0.4mm n80 and A1.

CrazyChef

VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Do you have any 38N? Another build that works great in a tube is 3x28K/38N aliens - 3.0mm ID, 5/6 wraps, dual coils.

whiteowl84

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
38g KD but I'll probably make them anyway. The Aromamizer is all that will sit flush on it, most of my stuff is 25mm.
However I could fit 6 2.5mm wraps of fused 26g back when I still used it.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
If you dont want to try hot glue and want a non toxic method to make wire stay put have a candle lit and dip in your stick and let it cool....then melt it all off when your finished

@CrazyChef what in the hell is that in your avatar?????

Last edited:

b_d_builders

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Pretty proud of this build, first successful attempt at a framed staple alien.
Specs: 8ply 0.5 N80 Framed with 28N80 36 SS316L alien :)
The hand vise and hot glue made this build a breeze. Clocked in at 0.06

c963fc2233dd7acb8dcafa40f7fa1873.jpg
3b3cc23b10f6bb6f61b7a7a07a0bde27.jpg
2922a4efe94fc6b29890c4bd08dd1515.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GingerBlood

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
How do you determine what gauge wire to clapton for the outer alien wire for larger core wires? I can spit out basic 3 core Aliens & Mohawks all day without any flaws, but add cores to it or use ribbon wire in the core and Im baffled.

Pretty proud of this build, first successful attempt at a framed staple alien.
Specs: 8ply 0.5 N80 Framed with 28N80 36 SS316L alien :)
The hand vise and hot glue made this build a breeze. Clocked in at 0.06

c963fc2233dd7acb8dcafa40f7fa1873.jpg
3b3cc23b10f6bb6f61b7a7a07a0bde27.jpg
2922a4efe94fc6b29890c4bd08dd1515.jpg

b_d_builders

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Unlisted Vendor
How do you determine what gauge wire to clapton for the outer alien wire for larger core wires? I can spit out basic 3 core Aliens & Mohawks all day without any flaws, but add cores to it or use ribbon wire in the core and Im baffled.

This alien was claptoned around 26ga and it's SS so it stretches pretty easy by itself to fit the width of this build. Get yourself a hand vise best $11 investment I've made to improve my builds.
4fe99b1bd91720d92f4501bc55915c4d.jpg

GingerBlood

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I use those jigs by USA ohm meters or whatever for some of my lareger builds and they do ok. May have to try SS as the outer wire next time, became a bit to used to using n80.

This alien was claptoned around 26ga and it's SS so it stretches pretty easy by itself to fit the width of this build. Get yourself a hand vise best $11 investment I've made to improve my builds.
4fe99b1bd91720d92f4501bc55915c4d.jpg

b_d_builders

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I use those jigs by USA ohm meters or whatever for some of my lareger builds and they do ok. May have to try SS as the outer wire next time, became a bit to used to using n80.

My SS aliens always come out much cleaner. SS is so nice to work with since it a bit more forgiving IMO. Oh also to note on this is the prep work, I bound the ribbon with some 36 where I looped it and then again at the end that goes in the chuck. Framed the ribbon and bound both ends again and finally a small dab of hot glue on both ends to keep everything from slipping around while aliening the core.

GingerBlood

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
My SS aliens always come out much cleaner. SS is so nice to work with since it a bit more forgiving IMO. Oh also to note on this is the prep work, I bound the ribbon with some 36 where I looped it and then again at the end that goes in the chuck. Framed the ribbon and bound both ends again and finally a small dab of hot glue on both ends to keep everything from slipping around while aliening the core.

Made my first staple today. Used some of the same ribbon wire as the core to bind it. Did the ends as well as areas in the middle. Worked like a dream.

Attachments

• 15590279_10105296535492268_3639757980804803385_n.jpg
    15590279_10105296535492268_3639757980804803385_n.jpg
    287.5 KB · Views: 30

whiteowl84

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
@GingerBlood
8f you're asking what size your decore should be wrapped on it's roughly 3x smaller than your final cores.
26g decore for 3x 26g or 4x 28g.
Or 24g for a 28g framed 8 ply.

If the math doesn't quite match up just use the closest one...I opt for the larger one.

I like to use the next size up usually so I use a 24g decore on 3x 26g.

GingerBlood

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
@GingerBlood
8f you're asking what size your decore should be wrapped on it's roughly 3x smaller than your final cores.
26g decore for 3x 26g or 4x 28g.
Or 24g for a 28g framed 8 ply.

If the math doesn't quite match up just use the closest one...I opt for the larger one.

I like to use the next size up usually so I use a 24g decore on 3x 26g.

That makes perfect sense. I just have a harder time If im trying to alien wrap a framed staple or do an enigma type build. Its more so the ribbon that throws me off. Maybe Ill try stacking ribbon wire on each other to match the width of the gauge of the round wire I should be using in the core, then multiplying it by how many round wire cores thatd need....if that makes any sense. Math makes my head hurt haha.

whiteowl84

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The easiest one would probably be 4 ply with 26g frames because it's the same as a 3 core 26g. Going over wider things isn't harder but it takes a different stretch or decore size.

BKTOAD

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If you're ever in the market for swivels again consider getting a Swvl. He is @the_swvl on IG. I've been very happy with mine.
A good fishing swivel may have less resistance but they don't last forever.
The Swvl has bearings that rival my expensive skateboard bearings and I've never worn one out.

Ordered a green one today. Merry Christmas to me!

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Im stocking up on 26 and 28G kanthal...What is a good outer gauge to wrap for both single and dual core "fused" claptons?...I was thinking 34 or maybe 36?...I vape in the .4 to .5 range

CrazyChef

VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I use a lot of 36 and 38 gauge N80. 40 comes in handy, as well.

whiteowl84

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I think raymo said he uses royal purple on his. I was going to go get some but found some singer oil. It's really thin so it's easy to draw up in a syringe so you can get bet the seal and the track.
WD40 can actually make them worse so I wouldn't use it.
Either way mine seems to get better over time like my skateboard bearings did.
My current drill and the swvl were the 2 best things I've bought for building. I don't have a handvice so that may change.

BKTOAD

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Im stocking up on 26 and 28G kanthal...What is a good outer gauge to wrap for both single and dual core "fused" claptons?...I was thinking 34 or maybe 36?...I vape in the .4 to .5 range

I use 36.

Thinner the better.

Probably get into 38 and 40 next.

Thinner wrap will:
-create more wicking grooves
-ramp up faster, save battery
-cool quicker, save juice
-be less springy when wrapping coils

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
so the smaller the gauge for the outer wrap is better in general?..Despite a choice for a core?

BKTOAD

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think raymo said he uses royal purple on his. I was going to go get some but found some singer oil. It's really thin so it's easy to draw up in a syringe so you can get bet the seal and the track.
WD40 can actually make them worse so I wouldn't use it.
Either way mine seems to get better over time like my skateboard bearings did.
My current drill and the swvl were the 2 best things I've bought for building. I don't have a handvice so that may change.

Yep. WD40 really isn't a "lubricant." Acts more like a solvent. Emergency use only as a lubricant. Not as a "routine maintenance" lube.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I think Lemon Juice and sand paper are good lubricant/smoothing things out in a bind....but I dont recommend it for everything :cool:

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
this swivel set ok to get started?
EDIT:...link not posting :/

Found them on amazon..Tsunami Pro ball bearing swivel set..100 pound plus capable..Just under $9.00 for 2 packages of 3

whiteowl84

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hope you guys had a great christmas!
I cant wait...tax time right around the corner!!!
Yes sir it is.

Btw who ever was stocking up on wire it totally depends on what you build and what you plan to build. I used to use 36g for everything almost. Then I got better with 38g and started using it for everything. But like the 36g now it feels massive.
Tomorrow I'll deposit some Christmas cash and get some 40g and some jewelers goggle things.

28g, 0.4mm and 38g is what I use most currently.
Aliens and ssfc's mostly but trying out staggertons too.

VU Sponsors