Become a Patron!

Premixed diluted Vg nicotine & ph flavoring questions.

D0ffrot

Member For 1 Year
So I'm about to, (hoorah!), make the move to mixing my own ejuice but I have one question that google is a little difficult In answering. So i thought i would turn to my trusted source for all the truly accurate information out there.

(Anyone needs clarification, please let me know!!!)

I dont want to be messing with pure nicotine (undiluted) or flavors either, but if it needs to happen, so be it.

I ideally like high vg mixes but usually around 80vg.

Leading to this, is my best bet for getting close to that, (or higher vg concentration is fine too);
-buying 100 PERCENT VG 6mg/ml nicotine base and just mixing that with the flavorings that (as to my understanding) come only suspended in 100 PERCENT PG?

Would this typically give you (obviously varying based on how much of the flavoring you add) 80/20 end result?

Or maybe it's better phrased. (And these numbers are for sake of illustration only I know I dont like my flavor that deep):

If my end result was say an irregular 100ml, and I was using a whopping 20% (20ml, correct?*see end of post*) of any given flavoring (based on my assumption of it being mixed in PG) and 80% of nicotine VG base, would this give me an 80/20 mix, give or take a few small percentages?

Also, when it says the percentage of flavoring your using, and I was making 100ml and the recipe called for 15 percent of flavoring, would the end result be a 85/15 vg/pg mix? (Give or take a few .XX% due to the actual difference of flavor droplets vs. Actual pg and same difference of nicotine droplets vs VG)?

OR would it be a better decision to get an 80 or 90 vg/pg mix bottle of premade nicotine mix and mix that independently with the flavorings as the flavoring adds such a small percentage by weight to the end result? Or is there a difference between flavor extracts vs flavor PREMIXED with pg, or are those the same thing...? I guess what I mean by this is, what is the difference between a flavor BLEND and an EXTRACT and their applications?
Also, in a premixed diluted bottle of nicotine that really does take the guesswork out of a lot of it and makes it quite easy to mix by weight, right? Like a bottle stating "6mg/ml VG nicotine base mix" means that regardless of what flavor I mix it with the strength will be 6mg?

I guess that's another question then. Unless I'm just quite tired right now, it seems that the percentage, or weight, of flavoring being mixed in (seeing it changes from different juice to different juice) at differing percentages each time would create a constantly fluctuating actual dose of nicotine per bottle? Or am I wrong for some reason?

Sorry I just am a very self doubtful person when it comes to personal research for health and safety reasons of course. So I like to ask the experts!

Last edited:

D0ffrot

Member For 1 Year
Also, is a "diy mix kit" from sites like diye-liquid.com or similar an intelligent decision for first timers to try out their mixing? I plan on picking a recipe or two from here and getting the required flavorings in with the kit that also contains 1000 or 500ml VG/PG mix in varying degrees.

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Welcome to VU!:cheers:

Do you live in the US or elsewhere?

First things first, use a calculator. I use ELR www.e-liquid-recipes.com The calculator does all the math for you. All you need to do is input the recipe with the ratios you want.

If you live in the US buy 100 mg/ml nic in whatever ratio of PG/VG you prefer. As long as you are cautious in your mixing 100 mg nic is safe to use. Since you seem to prefer 20/80 I would buy your nic in 100% VG. Note that you will need to shake up your nic solution to avoid hot spots where the nic isn't in solution. This way you will always hit your prefered mg/ml of nic in your mix.

Buy separate PG and VG again to hit your desired ratio. Most flavor concentrates are PG based and do count in the PG/VG ratio.

I would not waste your money on kits. In most cases you end up with stuff you never use.

Buy bottles to mix in. This is where I buy mine as they have good prices and good quality: http://wholesale.heartlandvapes.com/ Other's will chime in with their favorite sources. Heartland also sells nic, PG, VG, and flavor concentrates.

I buy most of my flavors at BCF www.bullcityflavors.com They have The Community Recipe Packs where you get all the flavors for that recipe and they have some good ones. Use the code VU6 to get 6% off. Due to insane taxes where they are located, they do not sell nic.

Another source for everything is ECX www.ecigexpress.com Use the code UNDERGROUND10 to get 10% off.

Most important of all is have fun! Just think, you will be able make your own e-juice for less than $1.00 a bottle!

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Also -- 100mg/ml nicotine is not "pure" nicotine, not even close -- it's actually 10% nicotine in whatever base -- PG or VG or a mix -- that you prefer. No, you probably shouldn't vape 100mg/ml nicotine, but it's perfectly "safe" to handle in mixing, with reasonable precautions -- I don't even wear gloves when I'm mixing, nor even when I'm decanting a liter from its plastic bottle into smaller (30ml) amber glass bottles for storage. It's just not that big a deal, unless you're a child, a pet, or someone who likes to lick spills off the floor. :D If you get any on your hands, rinse it off with cold water -- warm water opens pores, and nicotine will absorb thru the skin, so cool/cold water is best. Definitely clean up any spills right away, but it's not toxic waste or anything -- just keep kids and pets away from it, and you'll be fine. And don't lean over it too close when you're pouring it, because a drop of that shit in your eye will BURN.

Andria

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Another "also" -- you can buy The Flavor Apprentice flavors directly from the manufacturer, which is not a bad idea if you sign up -- for free -- for their "wholesale" program; you can get bigger bottles that way, at greatly reduced cost, and TFA is *excellent* for giving you all the ingredients of each individual flavor -- which is great if you wish to avoid diketones, or have any sensitivities. For example -- for some totally asinine reason, there are sulfites in their Double Chocolate-Dark flavor, which is asinine because sulfites are used to keep foods from turning brown -- yet it's a brown flavoring. :huh: Makes no damn sense at all, but asthmatics need to avoid all sulfites like the very plague, since they can cause total pulmonary collapse in asthmatics. Being asthmatic myself, I really appreciate that heads-up! :)

Andria

D0ffrot

Member For 1 Year
You guys are AWESOME.

Th
Welcome to VU!:cheers:

Do you live in the US or elsewhere?

First things first, use a calculator. I use ELR www.e-liquid-recipes.com The calculator does all the math for you. All you need to do is input the recipe with the ratios you want.

If you live in the US buy 100 mg/ml nic in whatever ratio of PG/VG you prefer. As long as you are cautious in your mixing 100 mg nic is safe to use. Since you seem to prefer 20/80 I would buy your nic in 100% VG. Note that you will need to shake up your nic solution to avoid hot spots where the nic isn't in solution. This way you will always hit your prefered mg/ml of nic in your mix.

Buy separate PG and VG again to hit your desired ratio. Most flavor concentrates are PG based and do count in the PG/VG ratio.

I would not waste your money on kits. In most cases you end up with stuff you never use.

Buy bottles to mix in. This is where I buy mine as they have good prices and good quality: http://wholesale.heartlandvapes.com/ Other's will chime in with their favorite sources. Heartland also sells nic, PG, VG, and flavor concentrates.

I buy most of my flavors at BCF www.bullcityflavors.com They have The Community Recipe Packs where you get all the flavors for that recipe and they have some good ones. Use the code VU6 to get 6% off. Due to insane taxes where they are located, they do not sell nic.

Another source for everything is ECX www.ecigexpress.com Use the code UNDERGROUND10 to get 10% off.

Most important of all is have fun! Just think, you will be able make your own e-juice for less than $1.00 a bottle!

You guys are AWESOME. Thanks so much. I have a few follow up questions however.

Yes I'm looking at a calculator now, realizing that it doesnt seem as hard as I believe I'm making it out to be. A 1:1 conversion ratio is normal for most flavors right? I plan on doing this by weight to make it easier. I'm an ex addict tbh and 100% not comfortable with ANY type of syringe in my home.

I like max vg to make it easier as well. You guys dont suggest getting something like 6mg/ml premixed VG nic base, right? Cause I've found those big bottles are very expensive. And then a majority of your end result is using that and then a small 15 percent of flavor. Seems like a waste of money when I could just get 100mg/ml and a sep. Bottle of vg. And mix those and use a majority of the vg base.

Cause that If anything(the higher mg base) for more control over my end result, just get something like:
-48 or 100 mg/ml vg nic
-Just VG base
-premixed flavor blends (just to make it easier honestly, and I mean recipe flavors already combined) that are pg based
-a scale
-pipettes

And that's it? Besides bottles but I already have those. And if I get a very large bottle of 48 or 100mg/ml vg nic base I should decant into smaller bottles and freeze those extras till ready to use, right?

Does liquid-nic-wholesalers calculator work as well as any other? That's what I've been using to figure out the easiest format to do this in and how much of each thing I should buy.

It SEEMS to me, the larger the quantity of nicotine in the base carrier the less I have to use, so maybe a smaller bottle of the larger mg nicotine will go just as far as a large ass bottle of say 24mg/ml nic base.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Exactly right; it's far more cost effective to get 100mg nicotine; it goes a long way that way, and you're not paying top dollar for someone else's PG/VG.

You might want to check out bullcityflavors.com; they have some "packs" of flavors for mixing this and that and the other thing, because to be honest, there are very few "single flavor mixes" that are worth even half a damn -- your best results, flavor-wise, are always going to be with the layering of different flavors -- same for foods, right? Not many folks like plain black coffee with nothing else, and you wouldn't sit around eating sugar out of the sugar bowl, eh?

I can think of exactly ONE single-flavor that actually makes a pretty decent ejuice -- TFA Banana Nut Bread -- which is made of lots of stuff, right? TFA got that one completely right. Mixed at 11%-ish, and maybe just a smidge of sweetener, and that's pretty damn good!

Andria

D0ffrot

Member For 1 Year
Thanks, andrea, you're a saint to be honest.

This has made the move into making this decision far easier, especially with all the nice people here at vaping underground to help support me in making these decisions.

That's ironically the one flavor I was considering purchasing as a single.

For now I just am going to invest in some one shot flavors (mixed blends)

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Thanks, andrea, you're a saint to be honest.

This has made the move into making this decision far easier, especially with all the nice people here at vaping underground to help support me in making these decisions.

That's ironically the one flavor I was considering purchasing as a single.

For now I just am going to invest in some one shot flavors (mixed blends)

Depending on a) how long you've been off coffin nails, and b) your own tastes of course, get some TFA sweetener; I've tried a couple different sweeteners for vaping, and that one, to me, is the least offensive -- it's sucralose, but it doesn't have any of that hard "artificial" whang. Others may disagree, because as noted, it's really a matter of individual taste -- but I've always hated artificial sweeteners of any kind, and was surprised at how right TFA got that one. It's really strong, you won't need much -- many thought me quite freakish because at first I was using 2%-2.5% -- but my tastebuds were damn near comatose for quite a long time even after quitting the butts -- took me nearly 2 yrs before I could start reducing from 2%-2.5%, but once the reduction began, it didn't take long before I wasn't using any sweetener at all -- maybe 6-ish months, reducing the sweetener with each mix. But to me, ANYTHING AT ALL that isn't sweet enough (even tea and coffee and cereal!), I can't really taste -- making it sweeter means I can taste it. The Banana Nut Bread is pretty damn good all by its lonesome... but adding a smidge of sweetener really brightens it up. A lot of TFA flavors are like that, especially the fruits -- they're intended as building blocks, rather than an entire edifice all on its own.

Andria

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Not all flavorings are mixed with PG many are VG and some companies offer both. Just use a calculator like one in the link and mix the Nicotine VG and pg with the flavorings. It is as simple as making a mixed drink in my opinion. Also I only vape High or Max VG e-Liquids so I buy mostly VGD or VG Dominant Flavorings. God Luck

https://ecigvape.com/#top

VU Sponsors