Not open for further replies.

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
All I want to know is what did Rip Trippers do to these guys to piss them off, because this is obviously something personal and has nothing to do with who gets paid for what.

Robert B

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Actually if he is doing this it doesn't matter what we think. Its against the law not to disclose that your endorsing a product or service for payment. Its an FTC requirement. This is why all those infomercials say "paid actor", etc. I was walking the line with Vaporjoes and put up a transparency statement anyway to cover all my basis.
Rip is not on regulated FCC controlled media. I don't think Federal Trade Commission laws apply to Youtube. If it does, please show the link to the FTC/FCC laws concerning the internet and youtube in particular

RichS

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Oh my, it's on Reddit so it must be true.
Colbert-NuOutAni.gif

Spike64

Vapemail Stalker
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think the biggest issue is integrity. He has said all along he doesn't get paid and whatnot. But if he actually is and is lying about it, that creates another issue. Personally I could give two shits less what he does and what he gets paid for.
Me either...I never cared much for his reviews...his "style" obviously appeals to some people but never has for me so whatever he did or didnt do wont affect me in the least......

Garemlin

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
:rolleyes: If twisted has absolute proof then why wasn't it posted along with the half ass claim? I have proof! But ya gotta wait for it

To build up the suspense of course. Keep 'em hanging. Just like that cliff hanger season finale of you favorite TV show. Who shot JR. LOL

Garemlin

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I do not know what YouTube pays for views, but I doubt anyone can quit their day job in the vaping community to do reviews and vlogs all day.

Wait what?? Youtube pays for views?? My Youtube channel has over 137,000 views and I have never been paid a penny. I must be missing out on something.

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
All I see here is a bunch of jackals trying to steal a piece of the festering carcass that is the vaping market.

So, dishonest reviewers get outed by jealous rivals who'd like a slice of the pie, eh? In the end, they're all pathetic little shits, because blabbermouths ain't no better than sellouts.

Make no mistake, my fellow vapers: the vaping market is getting big and professional, and the players in that space are vying for position. They're not doing reviews as a service to you, and they don't tell on other reviewers for the sake of fairness, but ultimately to secure a lucrative future source of income.

As far as I'm concerned, as a simple consumer who wants true honesty, they can all suck my dick until they choke on it. The real reviews are found on forums where real users can post their true experience with the products, such as this here board.

Last edited:

VaporRush

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Midniteoyl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
And NO ONE in the vaping community will ever see money like that. Lowest listed earner has over a half BILLION views.
I did say it takes A LOT of views :) But does open your eyes to some of these guy's yearly incomes (those are yearly).. However, the million $ people aside, could you live on, say, $100,000 a year if all you did was do reviews and some appearances for it?

jamieg71

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
After reading the reddit thread, and this, it looks to me that a couple people are attempting to boost their notoriety by defaming rip. There's nothing evidentiary to support the accusations. A couple people said he asked for money for reviews, a couple said he didn't. The screenshots, (hardly evidence my 15 yr old can fabricate them), look to be about promoting an app, not demanding payment for a review. Who knows, the truth will come out. I'm not a big fan myself the dude drives me nuts. But I can't stand Jerry Springer drama queens either, and it looks like that's who's pushing this. Get your notoriety by putting in the work, not attacking someone else. If he is guilty, he'll be found out. But going over the top with accusations, and no real evidence makes these guys look like douche bags.

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I did say it takes A LOT of views :) But does open your eyes to some of these guy's yearly incomes (those are yearly).. However, the million $ people aside, could you live on, say, $100,000 a year if all you did was do reviews and some appearances for it?
Depends.

100K sounds like a lot of money. Until you start adding up expenses. Like Taxes, equipment costs, and various other overheads.

100K isn't jack to someone that is self employed.

To replace a job that pays you 50k a year, to be self employed you need to make 150k.

;)

Midniteoyl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Depends.

100K sounds like a lot of money. Until you start adding up expenses. Like Taxes, equipment costs, and various other overheads.

100K isn't jack to someone that is self employed.

To replace a job that pays you 50k a year, to be self employed you need to make 150k.

;)
I have been self employed, so ya... While some try to make a living at it, it aint gonna happen. Not in the vaping world anyways. Point was though, they are getting paid via YouTube, free stuff, discounts, behind the scenes 'gifts', expenses for show appearances, etc, etc..

RipTodd

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Excuse me while I grab another bowl of diacetyl laced popcorn.

No cig

kelli

Vapid Vapetress
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
All I see here is a bunch of jackalls trying to steal a piece of the festering carcass that is the vaping market.

So, dishonest reviewers get outed by jealous rivals who'd like a slice of the pie, eh? In the end, they're all pathetic little shits, because blabbermouths ain't no better than sellouts.

Make no mistake, my fellow vapers: the vaping market is getting big and professional, and the players in that space are vying for position. They're not doing reviews as a service to you, and they don't tell on other reviewers for the sake of fairness, but ultimately to secure a lucrative future source of income.

As far as I'm concerned, as a simple consumer who wants true honesty, they can all suck my dick until they choke on it. The real reviews are found on forums where real users can post their true experience with the products, such as this here board.

^ +1 (except for the dick sucking part)

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Watched three hours of Mod Envy and still no credible evidence to support any of this. Joe didn't even challenge Twisted at all, just let him slide on the bs excuse that he would post evidence tomorrow on youtube. Enough with this sloppy tabloid journalism. When something real happens nobody will take anybody seriously because all they will remember is bs like this.

Adam the Aussie

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Twisted420 better have a smoking gun and a dead body, otherwise he's going to come across as a jealous sook who's trying to destroy the reputation of someone who has 3 or 4 times the subscribers he has.

VaporRush

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Watched three hours of Mod Envy and still no credible evidence to support any of this. Joe didn't even challenge Twisted at all, just let him slide on the bs excuse that he would post evidence tomorrow on youtube. Enough with this sloppy tabloid sensationalism. When something real happens nobody will take anybody seriously because all they will remember is bs like this.

fixed it for ya.:D no need for a thank you.

kelli

Vapid Vapetress
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Watched three hours of Mod Envy and still no credible evidence to support any of this. Joe didn't even challenge Twisted at all, just let him slide on the bs excuse that he would post evidence tomorrow on youtube. Enough with this sloppy tabloid journalism. When something real happens nobody will take anybody seriously because all they will remember is bs like this.

they paid plenty of homage to the situation tho, by teasing each other about getting payola for everything.

creeperfan5236

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
This would make for a great post on my blog! Just need some more info on it. Links anyone?

VaporRush

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Twisted420 better have a smoking gun and a dead body, otherwise he's going to come across as a jealous sook who's trying to destroy the reputation of someone who has 3 or 4 times the subscribers he has.

Twisted420 is a chump, and I thought that before RIP situation. That pompous ass can't even put together a grammatically correct sentence. If it wasn't for four letter words, he wouldn't even be able to put out a video. Fuck him!

Jack Vityas

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Whenever someone says, " Just wait until tomorrow and I'll show you proof " I wonder why they opened their mouth beforehand. Just shut-up until your ready to show your whole hand. I have watched many of RIP's reviews and I am an subscriber. The guy does pro quality work and I find his coil instructives very informative. The good-ol-boy shstick gets annoying but I'll give him a pass because of the information he provides.

I hope these guys have solid proof and a stand-up informer because if not they're going to get sued big-time.

Anus Braun

Bronze Contributor
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
All I want to know is what did Rip Trippers do to these guys to piss them off, because this is obviously something personal and has nothing to do with who gets paid for what.
Frankly, I don't think much of loud, obnoxious drama-queens, but if'fn he's spouting facts, my opinion is irrelevant, to facts presented.

Jack Vityas

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Actually if he is doing this it doesn't matter what we think. Its against the law not to disclose that your endorsing a product or service for payment. Its an FTC requirement. This is why all those infomercials say "paid actor", etc. I was walking the line with Vaporjoes and put up a transparency statement anyway to cover all my basis.

True. But has RIP made the deal? Sounds like someone jumped the gun. RIP said, if he really did say, that in order for him to endorse an app he would want 2% equity. So what's the problem. This is not about an equipment or juice review and it's not about endorsing an app, as no one said he went through with the deal. The other accusation is more serious and Blue Screwdrivers better have solid proof and stand up whistle blowers because. tort.

Last edited:

Fictitious Character

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
What is lame about this breaking story is there is not much to back up the allegations. Don't get me wrong I am no Rip Trippers groupie, nor am I any reviewers groupie. I take youtube reviews with a grain of salt for a couple reasons. The first being that they are not the mainstream user of the item, they have so much free crap coming in that the majority of stuff is used short term and then either shelved, or is used as a giveaway to promote more new subscribers Hard to get realistic pros and cons off of short term use. The second being that most all reviewers in one way or another are biased. They are biased to particular brands or styles. I would much rather listen to Johnny Nobody tell me that his Sig is crap because it died a month into it , or that Johnny's ipv3 kicks ass because he has been putting it through the paces for the last 6 mths of hard daily driving.

I watch reviews to see what the actual product looks like and to get a glimpse of the features. I see a reviewer as a opinion piece in the media not as gospel. Some are more entertaining than others but in the end it is opinion and a sales tactic for most bigger well known reviewers. I really don't care if Rip is getting paid to do reviews but that info should be and is suppose to be disclosed with some type of disclaimer.

I did find it a bit distasteful on tonight Mod Envy show to be bashing him over being an introvert and possibly suffering from social anxieties to the point that he does not do appearances or meets. I mean that kind of thing when severe enough borderlines a mental illness and really should not be the butt of jokes but whatever I got no dog in this fight.

Adam the Aussie

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I did find it a bit distasteful on tonight Mod Envy show to be bashing him over being an introvert and possibly suffering from social anxieties to the point that he does not do appearances or meets. I mean that kind of thing when severe enough borderlines a mental illness and really should not be the butt of jokes but whatever I got no dog in this fight.

If that really happened that is so low. Does anyone else get the feeling Rip Trippers is coping this stuff just because he's different? This whole thing has got that 'destroy what we done understand' vibe going on.

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Rip Trippers is different from what? Just look at the protagonists involved in this BS: there's Suck My Mod the fake white trash, Twisted the fake *****, and Rip Trippers the fake over-the-top good ole boy. They all put on a show to pander to a certain American subculture.

Adam the Aussie

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Rip Trippers is different from what? Just look at the protagonists involved in this BS: there's Suck My Mod the fake white trash, Twisted the fake *****, and Rip Trippers the fake over-the-top good ole boy. They all put on a show to pander to a certain American subculture.
Different in that he doesn't get into the whole vape scene like most other reviewers. He does his reviews and that's it. I respect him for being able to separate his family life and vaping reviews. You get the feeling with some other reviewers and vaping identities that vaping is their life, it's all they've got. Maybe Rip Trippers is just too busy to get involved in vape conventions and vape shows, or maybe he just wants a life outside vaping, I don't know.

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Maybe he's afraid to get his teeth knocked out if he shows up at vape conventions :)

Garemlin

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
So I guess nothing new came out of the show last night??? Yawn!!!! Can't wait until this next round of vape drama is over.

JColt

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
If you watch Rip's first video's he come across as very shy. I think that is the true person. After getting comfortable behind the camera then he jazzed it up. As far as vape shows and conventions go I am the same way. I stay away from them. Most are geared towards cloud chasing and over priced tubes. Fine if that's your thing though. Again this whole thing is nothing but sensationalism or twisted really has a hard time posting his other guaranteed to blow your socks off information.

Garemlin

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
If you watch Rip's first video's he come across as very shy. I think that is the true person. After getting comfortable behind the camera then he jazzed it up. As far as vape shows and conventions go I am the same way. I stay away from them. Most are geared towards cloud chasing and over priced tubes. Fine if that's your thing though. Again this whole thing is nothing but sensationalism or twisted really has a hard time posting his other guaranteed to blow your socks off information.

I did notice the same thing on some of his earlier videos. Very quiet and almost withdrawn. Then he found his thing. The thing I don't like about him is in some of his earlier videos he said you don't NEED this and you don't NEED that. Then all of a sudden he was getting high dollar stuff to review and all of a sudden he says you NEED this and you NEED that.

JColt

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yeah once he got rolling I stopped watching. He fill's a niche for certain people though.

Iamme

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years

I think you are right for the mod part. However, I do not think all reviewer are that way. I may be off course, but Grimm was doing the video scene long before the hype and sometimes is brutally honest. From what I have heard he is the same person on and off cam and has never came across as supporting any one company over another. I'm not a GrimmGreen fan boy. He is just one of if not thee down to earth reviewer that realm doesn't have a Schick.

I also think a lot of the little reviewers give a real personal opinion.

You forgot pbusardo. He has been doing reviews a long time, but if you look at his stuff from 3 years ago and then watch his new stuff the difference is there. He seems to be in the pocket with a few companies both over seas and American.

Garemlin

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
It is so hard to tell the difference in a biased and unbiased review anymore because you just don't know what goes on behind the scenes. There were many who thought Phil Busardo was paid to give a shining review of the Cloupor 30w even though it was junk. Who knows except him and Cloupor. Same with this situation. Until a particular vendor or vendors come out and backs these claims it is all hearsay. I mean seriously how would Matt or Twisted really know if he receives money for shining reviews. They could be getting this information from butt hurt vendors who did not get a good review from Rip.

At any rate this is all just another black eye to the vape community and puts doubt in the integrity of those we trust to guide us in the right direction.

I have done reviews for different Harley parts on a few forums. I did them on my own to help fellow riders make informed buying decisions. Several vendors took notice to my reviews. Especially a few that noticed a spike in sales after my review was posted. Several have contacted me and asked me if I would be interested in doing a review of a new products. I was actually floored that they trusted my opinion. And was flattered at the same time. It also helped that I got a few free items out of it. But the thing about these vendors is they didn't encourage me to give a good review if I didn't think the product deserved it. They wanted an honest opinion. So if there were issues they could correct them. A few items I did give not so stellar reviews on. And they went back to the drawing board and made changes. To them my reviews weren't all free advertising. They were real world R&D. I don't think the vape community operates much that way. As they should.

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
[...]At any rate this is all just another black eye to the vape community and puts doubt in the integrity of those we trust to guide us in the right direction.[..]

I trust these jerks to guide me in the right direction as much as I trust Pat Robertson to help me find Jesus. Some may have started off with good intentions (particularly the early bloggers/youtubers - the recent rash of johnny-come-latelies have clearly jumped on the bandwagon for the money), but in the end, they've all become self-serving shills with gigantic egos.

Iamme

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
It is so hard to tell the difference in a biased and unbiased review anymore because you just don't know what goes on behind the scenes. There were many who thought Phil Busardo was paid to give a shining review of the Cloupor 30w even though it was junk. Who knows except him and Cloupor. Same with this situation. Until a particular vendor or vendors come out and backs these claims it is all hearsay. I mean seriously how would Matt or Twisted really know if he receives money for shining reviews. They could be getting this information from butt hurt vendors who did not get a good review from Rip.

At any rate this is all just another black eye to the vape community and puts doubt in the integrity of those we trust to guide us in the right direction.

I have done reviews for different Harley parts on a few forums. I did them on my own to help fellow riders make informed buying decisions. Several vendors took notice to my reviews. Especially a few that noticed a spike in sales after my review was posted. Several have contacted me and asked me if I would be interested in doing a review of a new products. I was actually floored that they trusted my opinion. And was flattered at the same time. It also helped that I got a few free items out of it. But the thing about these vendors is they didn't encourage me to give a good review if I didn't think the product deserved it. They wanted an honest opinion. So if there were issues they could correct them. A few items I did give not so stellar reviews on. And they went back to the drawing board and made changes. To them my reviews weren't all free advertising. They were real world R&D. I don't think the vape community operates much that way. As they should.

Part of the issue with reviews today is there iI a race to be the first. Reviewers in the past did one of two things. They waited a month or more to make a video or they did a unboxing fist impression and then did a full review at a later date. They actually used, beat up and tested products before they said it was a POS or a good product. Now even though some of the at getting these thongs two weeks before we can they have a review of end all opinion on said product a week before we can get them. Well, that means at most they used it a week or two tops and did a review. You know they're using other products as well to review so there is no heavy use of said product before the review. Part of this is not their fault though. China is cranking shit out so fast I do not know how they keep up with them selves. The Istick is a great example. They put out the 20w. Not to long after the 30 dropped and then the 50 came out what seemed like a few weeks later. I know it wasn't that fast, but you get the point. Stuff is out dated before we can use the first version. Attysbare the same way. We buy it. In less than a month there is the 1.5 the 2.0 fallows within a month. It is hard to keep up with. The 20

Status
Not open for further replies.

VU Sponsors