Become a Patron!

SAY IT HERE!!!!!

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It's odd... like a quietly worded yeah! Vape products are now considered a tobacco product and will be regulated to keep us and the children safe.
First thing that struck me was "will allow fda to improve public health". Then there were more easter eggs in the verbiage...

A few months back, we sent an initial response to a petition you signed on the tobacco deeming regulations. At the time, the rule in question was still under interagency review. But now, there's more to say.

Last week, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration finalized a rule extending its authority to all tobacco products, including e-cigarettes, cigars, hookah tobacco, and pipe tobacco, among others.

This rule will allow the FDA to improve public health and protect future generations from the dangers of tobacco use through a variety of steps, including restricting the sale of these tobacco products to minors nationwide.

Tobacco use poses a significant threat to public health and is the leading cause of preventable deaths in the U.S. today. While there has been a major decline in the use of traditional cigarettes among youth over the past decade, their use of other tobacco products, including e-cigarettes, continues to climb.

In 2015, 3 million middle and high school students were using e-cigarettes.

Prior to FDA’s actions this week, there was a big difference between the rules for the makers of traditional tobacco cigarettes and the rules for these new products.

If you were to purchase a traditional cigarette today, you would be warned about the health risks. You'd also be over the age of 18, because it is illegal to sell cigarettes to minors. These safeguards have greatly contributed to the decline in smoking. But the newer tobacco products haven't had these same safeguards in place.

The new regulations are aimed at making sure all tobacco manufacturers and retailers follow the same rules -- rules to protect children and make sure everyone can make informed decisions about their own health and the products they purchase.

So what do the new provisions say? For starters:

• Stores will not be allowed to sell e-cigarettes, cigars, and hookah tobacco to people under 18 years of age.
  • All sales to those 26 and under will require a photo ID -- just like needing an ID for cigarettes.
  • Manufacturers will be required to place health warnings on product packages and ads.
You can read more about the new regulations and what this means for manufacturers, retailers, and our nation's health here.

These regulations mark a new chapter in the FDA's efforts to end preventable tobacco-related disease and death, ensure consumers can make informed decisions, and protect the health of America's youth from the dangers of tobacco.

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
No shit! They mention the poor children (makes me visualize kids with flies flying around their head and vape pushers forcing them to vape gummy bear joose to get them hooked).

Very last paragraph, it seems to me that they are happy the regulations went through again... to save the poor children.
Now children will be safe from vape products because the regulation is the same as tobacco. Yep, no kids smoke... do they? That's been working out great.

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
That's not gonna be fun to clean up. Thick, sticky mess!!
giphy.gif

Lost

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
@fq06

One of my jobs for the last year has been on the government side of things. It has to stay vague like that.

I wish I could explain how much bullshit is involved in getting stuff like the FDA thing passed. There are simply too many moving parts.

I will say this though... for every conspiracy theory you might hear that's absolutely baseless, there's another that's real. I was dealing with a committee leader who needed his group to decide whether to back particular legislation. He glanced at the 2-page spin sheet from the main supporters and blindly approved it. He didn't even find out how much the thing was going to cost. (Tens of millions of dollars, and wildly bloated dollars at that.) Insane.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
bahahaha - because ibuprofen can cause bleeding, aspirin can kill your liver and Tylenol can cause kidney problems.
Or I can try to figure out how a tank is a tobacco product and end in a mental ward and simply not care about the headache. Psychologist will use inkblots and ask what I see... tobacco, tobacco, tobacco leaf, tobacco air, tobacco cotton ball tobacco glass.

Hank F. Spankman

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Or I can try to figure out how a tank is a tobacco product and end in a mental ward and simply not care about the headache. Psychologist will use inkblots and ask what I see... tobacco, tobacco, tobacco leaf, tobacco air, tobacco cotton ball tobacco glass.
You'll see my foot heading for that poor shrink's ass, as I break you outta that damn joint!

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@fq06

One of my jobs for the last year has been on the government side of things. It has to stay vague like that.

I wish I could explain how much bullshit is involved in getting stuff like the FDA thing passed. There are simply too many moving parts.

I will say this though... for every conspiracy theory you might hear that's absolutely baseless, there's another that's real. I was dealing with a committee leader who needed his group to decide whether to back particular legislation. He glanced at the 2-page spin sheet from the main supporters and blindly approved it. He didn't even find out how much the thing was going to cost. (Tens of millions of dollars, and wildly bloated dollars at that.) Insane.

For sure, just about everything that gets pushed through has stuff that the people signing it don't really like but they think its has more good than bad... so they sign.
Or they don't even read it because they are busy playing online poker below the desk.

This just rubs me the wrong way though, they presented themselves as pro vaping and I(we) signed a petition for them.
Now that the laws have changed we get what could read as an anti vaping congratulations email about the new regulations getting pushed through that I(we) thought we were trying to stop.

Lost

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
This just rubs me the wrong way though,

Yeah, no kidding. Things like that... one of the reasons I'm slowly backing out of this gig. It's soul-sucking. Real eye-opener though.

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
22 years. Not one dentist.

Turns out it doesn't matter how long it's been, or how perfect your teeth are, you're going to get the same scripts from the hygienist:

Cleaning girl: "Do you floss?"
Me: "Every day."
Cleaning girl: "Well, you really should floss every day. Some experts say it's more important than brushing."

Dentist walks in.
Cleaning girl: "This is Lost. He had some very interesting questions about autoclaves."

Even after the 8,000-day winning streak they just witnessed, I'll still only be remembered as The Autoclave Guy.
This worries me - had about $4000 worth of implants done 12 years ago (later found out I could have had solid gold for about half the price which, while less durable, would have still enticed me). I figured spending that much over a span of a couple months after knocking out a few teeth in a motorcycle incident (I'd say accident, but when you're flying across the desert pinned in fifth gear with liquid courage gusting wind on all three sheets it's hard to call the inevitable result an accident) I've earned a pass for at least a couple decades.

When I eventually go back, I just want them to knock out the remaining 25 teeth and make them robot teeth like the three I already have. This is apparently expensive, so I'm waiting until I have the disposable income that working adults in their forties apparently had when I was a kid, though I'm growing increasingly worried that this "stable job and income" thing previous generations had to look forward to is something of a myth. In that case, I'll settle for food-grinding rocks somehow fused and/or super-glued to my jaws.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
This worries me - had about $4000 worth of implants done 12 years ago (later found out I could have had solid gold for about half the price which, while less durable, would have still enticed me). I figured spending that much over a span of a couple months after knocking out a few teeth in a motorcycle incident (I'd say accident, but when you're flying across the desert pinned in fifth gear with liquid courage gusting wind on all three sheets it's hard to call the inevitable result an accident) I've earned a pass for at least a couple decades.

When I eventually go back, I just want them to knock out the remaining 25 teeth and make them robot teeth like the three I already have. This is apparently expensive, so I'm waiting until I have the disposable income that working adults in their forties apparently had when I was a kid, though I'm growing increasingly worried that this "stable job and income" thing previous generations had to look forward to is something of a myth. In that case, I'll settle for food-grinding rocks somehow fused and/or super-glued to my jaws.
You have such a way with words.

What is this... disposable income?

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It's what twenty-something Dave told himself thirty-something Dave would use to patch up all those injuries from repeatedly crashing motorcycles. Thirty-something Dave has recently been informed it's a synonym for "believing Lucky's 'charms' are something more valuable than shitty fake marshmallows that melt in milk."

georgemeadal

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You have such a way with words.

More like the work force who have knowledge and experience are disposable. This is what happens when the government over regulates free enterprise in favor of crony capitalism. But i digress.

I threw a brick and it landed here

lordmage

The Sky has Fallen. the End is Here.
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

VU Sponsors