Become a Patron!

Some wire safety questions

VapeMate

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hello community,
i've been looking around for builds in youtube when i saw an interesting title, wire safety!
i knew some things about nichrome but i didn't know a thing about different grades of nichrome
after watching that video, i started to research and study more but i wasn't so happy after all
things about nichrome were true, i'm never gonna use nichrome again, maybe on TC devices but well, i'm not gonna get a tc device either, i love vv/vw
about ss the guy said it may release hexavalent chromium if the isolation layer is broken!
and it breaks with high temp while wielding with ss? and for that we shouldn't dry fire ss? really? what differs? vg keeps ss wet and cooler? no?! what is it?
based on my study(i had short time, and quick studied) that day, i found that it may release Cr+3 and Cr+6 is rare depending on which grade of ss is used and blablabla...

you masters please help me clear this up cause i'm really worried about this and btw, what's wrong with kanthal? why not just use kanthal? as far as i know, kanthal doesn't have anything to hurt us(in most vaping circumstances i mean). which wire is better? their pros and cons, abilities, properties, risks.
thanks in advance

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ex pet for nickel and even that is questionable... dry burning doesn't reach temps that will release bad stuff.....

That said day burning I general is done at much too high temps... only need enough heat to cook the gunk off.... that is just under red hot...... gassing occurs at temps above red hot.

For me choice of we ire is determined by the build I'm after... ohm vs watts vs coil size equals wire grade and size. And wether I want to use TC or not.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

VapeMate

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
gassing occurs at temps above red hot.
temps above red hot like what? does drawing a sharp thing like needle or knife hurts or removes isolation layer or something like that?

at last, which wire is best? i think ss is great when used correctly.
and kanthal, i don't see a problem with it
i'm gonna be doing vv/vw so ss and kanthal are my choices right? what do i have to worry about with each of these wires?

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Imo. There is no BEST.... There are situations where one build works better than others..... wire material being just one factor.

IMO although I can't Prove it at all is SS performs better for me and Nichrome tastes better..... but fact is head to head I can't tell you which is which based on vaping it.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yes for VV and VW OR unregulated.... SS Kanthal or nichrome...... SS is also ok for TC and a few mods can TC nichrome.

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Contrary to the load of BS you can read and watch on the internet, the base metals and metal alloys used in vaping wire don't release their contents willy-nilly, even when they're red hot. If you find a study conducted by a real chemist that tells you so, then you can start worrying. But the only thing you'll find on the internet on this particular subject is the personal opinions of complete ignoramuses who happened to have read something somewhere and feel compelled to open their traps about it.

In short, stop worrying.

VapeMate

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Contrary to the load of BS you can read and watch on the internet, the base metals and metal alloys used in vaping wire don't release their contents willy-nilly, even when they're red hot. If you find a study conducted by a real chemist that tells you so, then you can start worrying. But the only thing you'll find on the internet on this particular subject is the personal opinions of complete ignoramuses who happened to have read something somewhere and feel compelled to open their traps about it.

In short, stop worrying.

yeah man, thanks for your answer, my real chemist guy told me that it will only release trivalent chromium(Cr+3) on very high temps and it may release a very very low amount of hexavalent chromium(Cr+6) on high temps like wielding machines and such, and also the ss used for that purpose is too different, he said there may not be any problem with a specially made for vape ss wire. i've also studied somewhere before asking him, and i've read the same thing.
i guess i should just stop worrying, i trust ss and kanthal to be harmless. i know nichrome problems, specially for me, i'm sensitive to it. idk anything about titanium wire yet, i just know it's only used for TC

ttatlanta

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Literally everything releases contaminants when heated. However, vaping wire, within vaping temperature ranges, releases only trace amounts of contaminants, negligible to pose any health hazard. Wether or not your taste buds can detect these is another question. Few people can taste SS, many notice Ni200, some Ti…

VapeMate

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Literally everything releases contaminants when heated. However, vaping wire, within vaping temperature ranges, releases only trace amounts of contaminants, negligible to pose any health hazard. Wether or not your taste buds can detect these is another question. Few people can taste SS, many notice Ni200, some Ti…

well yeah, i can pretty much feel the taste of ss, nichrome and kanthal. nichrome tastes awful, ss tastes a lil metalic and steely, kanthal tastes better imo, idk how to explain it, but it doesn't taste bad at all, well ss doesn't taste that bad but yet it changes the juice taste

VU Sponsors