Become a Patron!

SUBTANK WARS

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
That's what I wanted to hear.

They don't seem as ubiquitous as the Crown seems to be. However I have yet to hear or read anything less than positive about them.

They don't have a fraction of a fraction of the hype the Crowns have, if any as far as I've heard. I'm also not expecting a Starre or Maganus to give me a gooey vape-gasm or wipe my ass for me like all the Crown fanboys here promised

Do you know if the top fills are the "pro" or TC versions? I don't want anything that even has TC coils in it. Yet.

My wife already gives me a hard time about how much vapemail I get, which is nothing (a couple juice bottles every 2-3 weeks, a tank every month and a half or so) so I don't need a TC mod yet.

Although those Smok Xcubes look pretty sweet.

Dammit!

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk
the STARRE PRO is the top fill
the MAGANUC Ni is the top fill
it comes with the TC coils
but the all verisons can use the same coils both the .25 and .25 Ni200 and the .25 and .5 kanthal
all are DVC coils

It is these coils the crown coils mimick

Now everyone says the starre and maganus are the same coils and tank
I believe there are aesthetic differences but I have never used the Starre brand coils or tank.

guyakaguy

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
the STARRE PRO is the top fill
the MAGANUC Ni is the top fill
it comes with the TC coils
but the all verisons can use the same coils both the .25 and .25 Ni200 and the .25 and .5 kanthal
all are DVC coils

It is these coils the crown coils mimick

Now everyone says the starre and maganus are the same coils and tank
I believe there are aesthetic differences but I have never used the Starre brand coils or tank.
From what I've seen the Starre has a slightly easier bottom fill because it has the notches in the part where the bottom screws in.

Everyone (that have both) seem to give the Starre a slight leg up on the Maganus because of that.

I've been researching the SauceCode because it's able to use like 4 or 5 different brands of coils, which is appealing because of the convenience and...well...it can use 5 different coils for MacGyver skills.

mikeyboy74

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
150 Watts is an exaggeration. Just like every other brands wattage range in my experience for how I vape. But this tank is the first tank that I could ever vape at 100 Watts comfortably. I have tried it at 120 Watts and although the coil seemed to keep up, the temperature was unpleasant to my tastes. Similar to when I exceeded 70 Watts with the .5 Ohm coil in the Crown tank. With the Aeolus I vape most juice in the 92-95 Watt range.

Interesting you mention 70w max in the Herk with the 0.6, as my experience has been the same. What do we get if I put an Atlantis 0.3 in the Herk? Would it vape like an Atlantis V2, cooler and good clouds but muted flavor? I tried TC coil in the Herk and it is nothing special.

I would be happy with my Crown if and when coil quality improves. I just got a little over 6 days on a Crown coil, which is a record for me. Switching from 0.5 to 0.25, hoping it might be slower to go burnt at around 70w.

I may try a Starre Pro, or try to make the best of the Atlantis V2 with good ejuice, unless I can get the Herk to calm down or get Crown coils to last.

Why anyone would want to use a different brand coil in the tank is beyond me. I can see why someone would want to use these coils in another tank though and I have one in a Herakles right now. In the Herakles I can vape factory .6 Ohm coils at 70 Watts max. I can vape the Aeolus coil at 80 Watts with the only juice I have tried with tons more flavor. The Aeolus coils fit but did not make reliable connection unless I pulled the positive connection pin out with my thumb nail. Occasionally I have to do that with Herakles coils in the Herakles tank. I would assume that the reverse would be true and that Herakles coils would fit in the Aeolus also as there doesn't appear to be any physical reason why they wouldn't.

I don't have any Starre coils to try and don't plan on getting any just to test something I didn't care for to begin with. But they most likely would also.

This is with the original bottom fill Aeolus... The Triton V2 clapton coil fits (works pretty good at 50 Watts and now a favorite coil of mine for desert flavors), and the Eleaf Ti EC coil fits from trying out the new coils when we got them in. I will try out the Herakles Plus .2 Ohm SS coil when I receive them but the Aeolus coils are so good that I don't see myself screwing with the setup after that. Until the next new thing comes out anyway.

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
wth is that hank
it looks like the coil is fed from the bottom. it looks intriquing

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
is there a vaccuum or something to help pull the juice up when you squeeze
or do you have to invert it to get the juice to squeeze out

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
ok i need to add that to my "when I learn to make coils...I need that tank" list

PremiumVapeSupply

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
Look what just rolled in to our offices....

2uzfbf9.jpg

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
Lol its the logo :p
i thought you wee joking. It looked to em as if there was something in the tank. I had to look at other pics o f the tank to see it.

Yeah so anyway, your thought son it. can you compare it to other tanks please....the people want to know. Dont just walk in here and tease us with you fancy smancy tank and leave us hanging here.

PremiumVapeSupply

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
We actually wrote a review for it.... it's lengthy, but msg me and i'll send it to you.

kimsmm

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I dropped my Atlantis V2 as soon as I discovered the "Cyclone"- it is now my official lover! nothing compares to it now...not even my RDAs. It hits up to 150 watts and I love to vape in between 80-120 and that is perfect!! JS

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So, got my TFv4 Mini today, looks great, fits nicely, solid design, one issue. It heats up FAST. Of course coils always heat up quickly at higher wattage, but on the full size the whole tank doesn't become melt your skin hot after a few hits.

So for now I'm sticking with higher ohm lower wattage builds in it, which is actually why I wanted it (fit on some sleeker devices) but at the same time a little sad as the smaller circumference would have been perfect for my abomination coil (more juice vertically) but alas, it just can't handle the higher wattages. Anyways thought it was worth mentioning in case people were considering the two, that's my only real complaint. Around 80w it just started to really heat up. The premade clapton coil for the RBA it's doing quite nicely though, solid flavor enough vapor, again, no complaints. I'll probably stick to .5Ω+ builds.

Taste is great and clean with the claptons though, certainly motivation some once my wire comes in.

Any tool to calculate it like there is with Steam-Engine?

The Crown is def a tank to contend and doesn't eat juice quite as bad as the tfv4. Not to mention the price difference of prebuilt coils. Trying to decide whether or not its worth it to grab the rba deck for it. Prob pay for itself in the long run if you purchase coils often... decisions decisions

TheVapingDevil

`Vape It All Up!!!!!!
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Vape Media
I've never gotten the rba section down where it don't leak but others have had good success with it. I just gotta find the perfect wicking that works for my style of deep lung hitting without dry or muted hits n still hold juice in lolol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've never gotten the rba section down where it don't leak but others have had good success with it. I just gotta find the perfect wicking that works for my style of deep lung hitting without dry or muted hits n still hold juice in lolol

I found that a pancake wick doesn't leak (bottom fill), but the flavor is so muted compared to the coils I rarely use the RBA. This is with the stock coil that came on the rba.

TheVapingDevil

`Vape It All Up!!!!!!
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Vape Media
I found that a pancake wick doesn't leak (bottom fill), but the flavor is so muted compared to the coils I rarely use the RBA. This is with the stock coil that came on the rba.
I really would like to get thus to work to my liking but it's been a struggle. The crown itself is awesome all around. This rba puts a blemish on its stellar performance. For rebuildables I will be completely happy with my OBS Crius. In fact I haven't touched my crowns in almost a week because of Crius. When I want stock coils to go on the run its crown every time

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I really would like to get thus to work to my liking but it's been a struggle. The crown itself is awesome all around. This rba puts a blemish on its stellar performance. For rebuildables I will be completely happy with my OBS Crius. In fact I haven't touched my crowns in almost a week because of Crius. When I want stock coils to go on the run its crown every time

My OBS is on the slow boat from China LOL

TheVapingDevil

`Vape It All Up!!!!!!
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Vape Media
My OBS is on the slow boat from China LOL
Lolol. Well when the boat docks it will be well worth the wait. We thought the billows was nice, this one rivals side by side to the crown but with the ability to really shut down the air flow I think you will be able to get a good Mtl Vape that you like @AmandaD

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Lolol. Well when the boat docks it will be well worth the wait. We thought the billows was nice, this one rivals side by side to the crown but with the ability to really shut down the air flow I think you will be able to get a good Mtl Vape that you like @AmandaD

Actually I'm not mtl much these days:p

TheVapingDevil

`Vape It All Up!!!!!!
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Vape Media
Yup, pretty much!
I figured it might have. It's a beast. Your Crius may revert you but it works great as a lung hitter. I have a dual ss 24g. .17 build on it, wicked with rayon and killing it at 48 watts with no sign of a dry hit

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
@AmandaD have you tried a dual parallel wrapped coil on the rba deck for the crown. Since the stock coils are dual parallel, maybe a dual parallel in the rba may give equivalent flavor

I had the same issues with my subtank. Leaking and dry hits

guyakaguy

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Got my Black Crown Tank yesterday and now I finlly see what all the hoopla is all about...WOW massive clouds and intense flavor...using the .25 coil. Very happy with it so far at 50 Watts.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
I'll have to explore the lower wattages with mine. Does it seem to you like they're more capable of producing vapor/flavor at sub 70 watts after they've had a few tanks of juice run through them (after the insanely long break in on a new coil)?

I'm also still trying to decide which coil I should get more of - the .5 or .25 coils. So far I like them both, but I think the .5 has a slight edge on the .25 for not being as much of a battery/juice hog (although it still is a hog); I think because of its ability to be used at 50w or less.

I'm guessing you don't have the airflow wide open at 50w on the .25.

georgemeadal

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
50 watts wide open airflow on the .25 coil. Last few hours i have been using ss temp control 40 watts at 500F and it's pretty sweet too!

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Hank F. Spankman

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'll have to explore the lower wattages with mine. Does it seem to you like they're more capable of producing vapor/flavor at sub 70 watts after they've had a few tanks of juice run through them (after the insanely long break in on a new coil)?

I'm also still trying to decide which coil I should get more of - the .5 or .25 coils. So far I like them both, but I think the .5 has a slight edge on the .25 for not being as much of a battery/juice hog (although it still is a hog); I think because of its ability to be used at 50w or less.

Don't forget the 1.2ohm coil. That's my favorite

guyakaguy

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Don't forget the 1.2ohm coil. That's my favorite

I'm just getting into the 1+ coils I got for my Subtanks.

They're definitely different. The flavor is great, but the constricted draw on them makes it harder (longer) to get a good lung hit.

Are the 1.2 Crown coils tighter too?

Hank F. Spankman

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm just getting into the 1+ coils I got for my Subtanks.

They're definitely different. The flavor is great, but the constricted draw on them makes it harder (longer) to get a good lung hit.

Are the 1.2 Crown coils tighter too?

They're wide freaking open, & wonderful. Easier on the juice, not to mention the batteries

Surely it dosent take 2 or 3 tanks of juice to break a coil in. Wouldnt the .25 coil be easier on battery and juice than the .5 because the volts dont have to be as high

guyakaguy

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Surely it dosent take 2 or 3 tanks of juice to break a coil in. Wouldnt the .25 coil be easier on battery and juice than the .5 because the volts dont have to be as high
I didn't say that it takes me 3 tanks to break in a coil. It does take AT LEAST one full tank to get rid of the funky cotton/metal taste, for me at least. The. 25 coil I put in a week ago took about 2 1/2 tanks of juice before the weird metallic taste went away completely.

That was about two more tanks than the .5 coil I used. They both had the metallic taste, but the .25 was more pronounced and lasted longer.

As far as power goes:

There may be something to what you've said about voltage vs wattage with 1+ vs sub-ohm. With my Kbox mini I get about the same battery life with a Subtank and a .5 ohm coil running at 32-38w as I do with the same tank and the 1.5 ohm coil.

I'll need another dual-coil sub tank (Crown, Starre) that I can run at different resistances to compare. Right now I've only run the .5 and .25 independently on my iStick 100w and noticed that I got less battery life with the .25. I was also running the .25 at higher wattages than the .5.

I am currently firing my .25 at 50w and am definitely enjoying it. It also makes exponentially more vapor and flavor at 50w now than it did when I first popped the coil in and started slowly increasing watts.

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

50 watts is 50 watts (power (watts) = Voltage X Current - the chip steps up voltage and down current or vice versa). If you use the same power settings on both coils, there should be no difference in battery life. What I think happens is people tend to run their lower resistance coils hotter (more power), thus resulting in shorter battery life. Now if you're using a mech, the voltage is the voltage (no step up or down) so higher resistance coils use less current, thus battery life would be extended.

Cheers,
Steve

Last edited:
I didn't say that it takes me 3 tanks to break in a coil. It does take AT LEAST one full tank to get rid of the funky cotton/metal taste, for me at least. The. 25 coil I put in a week ago took about 2 1/2 tanks of juice before the weird metallic taste went away completely.

That was about two more tanks than the .5 coil I used. They both had the metallic taste, but the .25 was more pronounced and lasted longer.

As far as power goes:

There may be something to what you've said about voltage vs wattage with 1+ vs sub-ohm. With my Kbox mini I get about the same battery life with a Subtank and a .5 ohm coil running at 32-38w as I do with the same tank and the 1.5 ohm coil.

I'll need another dual-coil sub tank (Crown, Starre) that I can run at different resistances to compare. Right now I've only run the .5 and .25 independently on my iStick 100w and noticed that I got less battery life with the .25. I was also running the .25 at higher wattages than the .5.

I am currently firing my .25 at 50w and am definitely enjoying it. It also makes exponentially more vapor and flavor at 50w now than it did when I first popped the coil in and started slowly increasing watts.

I have a kbox as well and if I use the .5 prebuilt coil that comes with the subtank I dont get nearly the battery life outta my lg hg2 that I get if I bulid a .3 on my rda. The subtanks are garbage. I gave it to my girl. She put purple o-rings in the tank, slapped a purple case on the kbox and I said good buy to that and just run my sig 150w.

guyakaguy

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have a kbox as well and if I use the .5 prebuilt coil that comes with the subtank I dont get nearly the battery life outta my lg hg2 that I get if I bulid a .3 on my rda. The subtanks are garbage. I gave it to my girl. She put purple o-rings in the tank, slapped a purple case on the kbox and I said good buy to that and just run my sig 150w.
I think that's what I'm going to do once I get another mod.

My wife is still using my old ego vision and other random ego batteries (and the random evod battery that Mt Baker accidentally sent me).

Unfortunately (or fortunately) she never really was hooked on smoking so she only occasionally wants a little nic-fix. She likes the concept of vaping, and enjoys the flavors, but it's hard to use my max-VG juice in the Protank Mini 3 or the Aspire Et-s.

Those are great tanks for what they are, especially the Aspire, but they have limitations. I mean, I can't screw my Subtank with the 1.5 coil onto the ego battery (again unfortunately).

50 watts is 50 watts (power (watts) = Voltage X Current - the chip steps up voltage and down current or vice versa). If you use the same power settings on both coils, there should be no difference in battery life. What I think happens is people tend to run their lower resistance coils hotter (more power), thus resulting in shorter battery life. Now if you're using a mech, the voltage is the voltage (no step up or down) so higher resistance coils use less current, thus battery life would be extended.

Cheers,
Steve
Yeah I can see but on a regulated device the less resistance=less volts while running at 50w. So wouldn't that in turn equal less battery consumption? If u stay at 50w but like u said most people turn up the wattage at lower resistances

I think that's what I'm going to do once I get another mod.

My wife is still using my old ego vision and other random ego batteries (and the random evod battery that Mt Baker accidentally sent me).

Unfortunately (or fortunately) she never really was hooked on smoking so she only occasionally wants a little nic-fix. She likes the concept of vaping, and enjoys the flavors, but it's hard to use my max-VG juice in the Protank Mini 3 or the Aspire Et-s.

Those are great tanks for what they are, especially the Aspire, but they have limitations. I mean, I can't screw my Subtank with the 1.5 coil onto the ego battery (again unfortunately).

I would grab a crown. The tfv4 eats more juice and imo has a better rba deck and a slight edge on flavor but if you want just prebuilt coils in a solid tank with excellent flavor and rip fill, grab a uwell crown and give those gen2 starter kits to the wife

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah I can see but on a regulated device the less resistance=less volts while running at 50w. So wouldn't that in turn equal less battery consumption? If u stay at 50w but like u said most people turn up the wattage at lower resistances

Think of it like this. The battery suppliers power to the chip. So say you dial up 50 watts and your battery voltage is 10 V (just an example, I'm picking easy numbers to work with). The chip says, I have 10V, so I need 5 amps of current from the battery to get the 50 watts (10V x 5 amps = 50 watts). Resistance on this stage doesn't come into play.

The chip then suppliers your set power to the coil by stepping down current and up voltage or vice versa, depending on resistance of the coil. The chip basically isolates the battery from the coil. I hope that helps.

Cheers,
Steve

Last edited:
I would grab a crown. The tfv4 eats more juice and imo has a better rba deck and a slight edge on flavor but if you want just prebuilt coils in a solid tank with excellent flavor and rip fill, grab a uwell crown and give those gen2 starter kits to the wife
And when u get the mod grab the dna200. It fires all the way down damn near a dead short. So they wont be coming out with a tank or coil u cant fire. Future proof yourself from that at least

guyakaguy

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The subtanks are garbage.

The Subtanks aren't garbage, but they are what they are. What they are is a great entry-level/beginner sub-ohm tank that is almost bulletproof. It is also a great option for people that have non-TC 50w or less mods; the Subtanks perform their best between 15-40w depending on the coil you're using.

They're also relatively easy for a beginner to build on the RBA decks, which come with the tank. That is if you have the v2 Subtank (Nano, Mini, Plus).

They're not garbage, but they have their limitations.

Think of it like this. The battery suppliers power to the chip. So say you dial up 50 watts and your battery voltage is 10 V (just an example, I'm picking easy numbers to work with). The chip says, I have 10V, so I need 5 amps of current from the battery to get the 50 watts (10V x 5 amps = 50 watts). Resistance on the first stage doesn't come into play.

The chip then suppliers your set power to the coil by stepping down current and up voltage or vice versa, depending on resistance of the coil. The chip basically isolates the battery from the coil. I hope that helps.

Cheers,
Steve
So my 3.7v battery is going to push 3.7v to the circuit board every time I fire it regardless of what I have my wattage set to?

VU Sponsors