VapingJunkie

Down with the Clown
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Preface to the reader: If you don't have a microwave, but you still made the effort to join us on this amazing forum, I'm sorry, but this post isn't for you. No hard feelings? :)

So, I stumbled across something when my mini-crock pot decided to give out on me. For a while I had been forced into making one bottle of juice at a time, so the water didn't ruin the label. I wasn't putting them in a plastic bag, just in the water. Then I decided to try microwaving some water in a plastic cup.
I put the bottles' label on beforehand, so I had multiples in a zipper-type bag that comes in a box, but then I covered the mouth of the cup with the bag, and found that I could easily pull the bag in and out of the cup enough to reach the bottles. As long as you don't use water that's boiling from the microwave, you won't ruin the juice. This is also useful for fresh juices bought in a local B&M.
It's best to give all the bottles a good shake before, during, and after the steeping. This makes sure that any separated ingredients mix well before they heat up and truly mix together. I've experienced phenomenal success with this method on a variety of flavors like custards, tobaccos, complex fruit blends, but I haven't had any cinnamon-like flavors to try it on... yet. :)
The water stays hot for a good bit, but it's easy to pop it back into the microwave for however long. Obviously we need to take caution with hot water, and I take no liability for any injuries caused by hot water spilling and burning, maiming, or scalding anyone. Please be careful if you choose to try this steeping method.
Thanks for reading this whole post, and not being a TL;DR. You stay classy, Underground Vapers. ;)

kelli

Vapid Vapetress
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
never forget the first time i tried steeping in the microwave. (NOT your method, which is very effective btw)
i put the bottles in unopened and put it on 30 seconds. they blew up. god what a mess. nice smelling mess, but a mess nevertheless. did i tell you that sometimes i am not too bright? :p

VapingJunkie

Down with the Clown
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
We all have those moments. I hope no one was hurt.

Sent from the Otter Box around my Galaxy S4.

kelli

Vapid Vapetress
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
We all have those moments. I hope no one was hurt.

i was severely injured but recovered.

(not really)

Celtic Fog

Tir Na Nog
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
you can use an ultrasonic cleaner for the agitation, you can get them for jewelry for under $50, I am grabbing one soon, I also plan on using an Under Tank heater for Terrariums set on a Rheostat to warm them up before I put them in the cleaner for half an hour to an hour. Each half hour in the cleaner should equal around 1 week steeping, so I have read in multiple DIY guides.

VapingJunkie

Down with the Clown
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I have an ultrasonic I put them into after they heat up and agitate, as to further achieve cohesion. I've had tobacco flavors ready to vape in under 15 minutes.

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
The ultrasonic waves generate heat on their own. Just fill it with warm water to start and it will become down right hot in 45 min or so. I use the $30 model from Harbor Freight and just use a rubber band and something to put under it to hold the start button down. 45 min runs are definitely not in the design parameters but mine has held up for 6 months or so without a problem. Glass bottles will give the best result and using a larger diameter bottle will enable you to handle larger batches while still keeping the juice level below the water level. I've done 240ml batches in it using two Schweppes tonic water bottles. In my experience 30min /1 week is a little optimistic. A complex tobacco can need 4 hrs total, depends on the juice. The guy who started this at ECF (don't recall his name) was doing 5-6 hrs. on some tobacco's. Any of them will improve after a 24hr - or overnight anyway - "rest" after the speed steep. YMMV.

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
$12 crockpot at Target. 4 hours on 'low' with the lid cracked gives you approx 150 degrees. Juice steeped!
I had heard this and plan to give it a try. If nothing else it's quieter than an ultrasound.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I had heard this and plan to give it a try. If nothing else it's quieter than an ultrasound.

Yeah, I bought an expensive UC but got tired of turning it on again every 8 minutes! Crockpot cheaper, quieter, and much more simple.

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Yeah, I bought an expensive UC but got tired of turning it on again every 8 minutes! Crockpot cheaper, quieter, and much more simple.
Rubber band and close the door was my short term (er - six months now - not so short) solution. I already have the crock pot so why not? I assume you've had pretty good luck with it. I think I'll put an oven thermometer in with it until I figure out how much to crack the lid.

Last edited:

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Rubber band and close the door was my short term (er - six months now - not so short) solution. I already have the crock pot so why not? I assume you've had pretty good luck with it. I think I'll put an oven thermometer in with it until I figure out how much to crack the lid.

Yup, I do it all the time. You can pre-heat the crockpot to save time by putting in boiling water and then adding some cold. Doing it the way I mentioned above keeps the water around 150 degrees, which from our previous tests over at ECF seems to be a pretty optimal temp.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I got a tiny dip/sauce crock thingy that is never been used since there is no removable insert.
Guess I need to dust it off and try it out.

I used to have one of those, but the first time I used it for steeping it died! See how it works - I seem to remember the bottle didn't fit properly with the lid on, so it was hard to keep the right temp.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I used to have one of those, but the first time I used it for steeping it died! See how it works - I seem to remember the bottle didn't fit properly with the lid on, so it was hard to keep the right temp.
it was a set of them, it is a crock pot little dipper.. lid kind of sits on it but can put an easy dozen in there.

VapingJunkie

Down with the Clown
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Lots of people have had success with either crock pots or UC. What I'm saying is that by combining the two, it cuts out a lot of time in the process. ~5 minutes in hot water and ~10 minutes in the UC has steeped all sorts of crazy complex flavors. Dessert flavors take a little longer, but pretty much everything else has steeped into deliciousness using this process.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Lots of people have had success with either crock pots or UC. What I'm saying is that by combining the two, it cuts out a lot of time in the process. ~5 minutes in hot water and ~10 minutes in the UC has steeped all sorts of crazy complex flavors. Dessert flavors take a little longer, but pretty much everything else has steeped into deliciousness using this process.

I wonder why this is so? From the test we did over on ECF the key to steeping was actually heat, with 4 hours in a heated UC slighty beating out 4 hours in the crockpot - but not by enough to make a significant difference.

VapingJunkie

Down with the Clown
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I don't claim to be an expert, but I believe it's a synergy between heat, shaking, and then UC. I shake the juices every few minutes they're in the hot water, to make sure everything mixes well. Then the UC finishes off the cohesion.

VapingJunkie

Down with the Clown
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Posted in wrong thread. Removed.

Last edited:

Craig Mad Bricky

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Having worked with blending real tobacco for nearly 30 years I can say heating has a variety of effects on the "marrying" of flavors. The only downside I can see with doing this to e-juice is the effect on the alkaloid, Nicotine. I'm interested to know how much strength is left after 4 hours. With real tobacco the final product wether "stoved" or "cavendish" is a much lower strength product.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Having worked with blending real tobacco for nearly 30 years I can say heating has a variety of effects on the "marrying" of flavors. The only downside I can see with doing this to e-juice is the effect on the alkaloid, Nicotine. I'm interested to know how much strength is left after 4 hours. With real tobacco the final product wether "stoved" or "cavendish" is a much lower strength product.

Tests were done when we did the blind test (several people were involved). There was no degradation after 4 hours at 150 degrees! Also, nicotine is involved in the steeping process (the taste changes), so it is important it is added before steeping - not after!

Pandora

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Preface to the reader: If you don't have a microwave, but you still made the effort to join us on this amazing forum, I'm sorry, but this post isn't for you. No hard feelings? :)

So, I stumbled across something when my mini-crock pot decided to give out on me. For a while I had been forced into making one bottle of juice at a time, so the water didn't ruin the label. I wasn't putting them in a plastic bag, just in the water. Then I decided to try microwaving some water in a plastic cup.
I put the bottles' label on beforehand, so I had multiples in a zipper-type bag that comes in a box, but then I covered the mouth of the cup with the bag, and found that I could easily pull the bag in and out of the cup enough to reach the bottles. As long as you don't use water that's boiling from the microwave, you won't ruin the juice. This is also useful for fresh juices bought in a local B&M.
It's best to give all the bottles a good shake before, during, and after the steeping. This makes sure that any separated ingredients mix well before they heat up and truly mix together. I've experienced phenomenal success with this method on a variety of flavors like custards, tobaccos, complex fruit blends, but I haven't had any cinnamon-like flavors to try it on... yet. :)
The water stays hot for a good bit, but it's easy to pop it back into the microwave for however long. Obviously we need to take caution with hot water, and I take no liability for any injuries caused by hot water spilling and burning, maiming, or scalding anyone. Please be careful if you choose to try this steeping method.
Thanks for reading this whole post, and not being a TL;DR. You stay classy, Underground Vapers. ;)
Used your method on 6 juices I made this weekend. One is a cinnamon Danish and I have done two hot water baths with them in a sonic jewelry cleaner. What a great thing this is! The cinnamon Danish is amazing in the taste improvement over such a short time. Thank you this really makes tweaking my mixes easier.

VapingJunkie

Down with the Clown
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Surprised on one is using a baby bottle warmer...
Like this
I would assume most bottle warmers aren't designed to get the liquid hot enough to help steeping.

skagit

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I use a Ronco dehydrator and paint shaker. and heated rice. But I mix a bunch of different flavors at one time. that way i'm not in a hurry to hit the new stuff.
I mix my bottles. Shake for a min or so Then set in rice that has been in microwave for 45 sec. caps offs. Before it gets to room temp about a hour later. Caps on and a round of shaking. then set on top shelf in dehydrator for a day. Or 2 for darker stuff. Shake once or twice in that time.

I would assume most bottle warmers aren't designed to get the liquid hot enough to help steeping.

Actually it gets damn hot as it boils the water and steams the bottle. Use this on 5 oz of refrigerated formula and its warm within a minute, also can be used to sterilize mixing equipment or clean tanks / RBA / RDA etc.

VapingJunkie

Down with the Clown
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Actually it gets damn hot as it boils the water and steams the bottle. Use this on 5 oz of refrigerated formula and its warm within a minute, also can be used to sterilize mixing equipment or clean tanks / RBA / RDA etc.
Apparently I'm inept as to the workings of bottle warmers, as I would think this temperature is not very baby-friendly
LoL

VapingJunkie

Down with the Clown
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
It just steams them, right?

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Baby warmers must have changed since I had the Advent many years ago. That warmer literally warmed it up to body temp, a long way from 150 degrees!

Yeah there is a ceramic stone on the bottom that heats up to the point the water starts to boil and the steam rises through a plastic basket to heat the bottle or sterilize Nuks or other baby toys. You control the temperature by how much water you add like if you add a little water then it won't heat that much but add a lot of water then it stays on till all of it is gone.

I'll get some pictures and temperature readings tonight when I get home.

kh888

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I use a fondue pot....

No, I don't. But, since most everyone I have ever met received one at one point for a wedding gift, I thought it might get a laugh. And...if you did not get one for a wedding gift, stop by a garage sale - you will find a plethora of them available for under a buck! :)

RyGon

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Since I do my batches after the kids are in bed, I do my steeping over night. 8 hours in the crock pot on keep warm with the lid cracked has worked fine for me. Even fruit flavors seem to be fine after they rest a day or two after the heat. Maybe they would keep developing but creams and tobaccos definitely change dramatically.

I really think this issue has mostly been put to rest. Get a crock pot. Its going to get you at least 90% to goal probably more. I don't think its a super complicated process. We have some chemical bonds that are going to be formed and emulsification. Heat is going to speed these things up. As long as the heat doesn't go over what will degrade the chemicals I don't think a little extra time would effect it.

So this may sound rather too simple or even silly, but I wondered about putting my (very large sized buffet style) crock pot on the washing machine or dryer on wash day to simulate UC. Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

VapingJunkie

Down with the Clown
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
So this may sound rather too simple or even silly, but I wondered about putting my (very large sized buffet style) crock pot on the washing machine or dryer on wash day to simulate UC. Any thoughts?

It would definitely shake things around, but it wouldn't get anywhere near ultrasonic vibrations. Most UCs heat the liquid over time anyways.

VapingJunkie

Down with the Clown
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thanks VapingJunkie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My pleasure. When I dove into DIY, I did so like everything else I do, sending my tendrils of curiosity deep into every aspect of the matter.

Last edited:

Pandora

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
talk about a whoops....left several homemade in my truck while at work and said Oh Shit when I came out. They were much improved! the brown sugar in the NomNom was perfect!

VapingJunkie

Down with the Clown
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
talk about a whoops....left several homemade in my truck while at work and said Oh Shit when I came out. They were much improved! the brown sugar in the NomNom was perfect!
This is why most people use heat to steep juice. VG is very thick, so it can take lots of time for it to mix with PG and flavors. Unless it's heated, then it's much quicker.

Thats funny. I was thinking the same thing the other day. My Mcgiver mind was really spinning. To bad i didnt have a bottle of juice on top.

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
I need to upgrade my Thermos to a hot tub. With adjustable jets and seating for 8.

Glow'sDementia

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Can a crystal bottle be put in hot waterto steep?

CgS_Drone

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Has anyone tried a cup warmer or candle warmer? I just took a Mr. Coffee cup warmer and without anything on it the surface of the warmer it came up to 165F. We are thinking of making up small batches to get an idea of how much flavoring we will need and where thinking of using a cup with some water in it on the warmer with say three 10ml bottles in it to help them steep off.

We would only be working with say 3ml in each bottle but the smallest bottles we would be using would be the 10ml bottles to do this with.

We also looked at some small crock pots and about the smallest we could find with the warm setting on it was 3 quarts. Has anyone taken a temp reading to see what the actual temp is on warm in a crock pot?

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Has anyone tried a cup warmer or candle warmer? I just took a Mr. Coffee cup warmer and without anything on it the surface of the warmer it came up to 165F. We are thinking of making up small batches to get an idea of how much flavoring we will need and where thinking of using a cup with some water in it on the warmer with say three 10ml bottles in it to help them steep off.

We would only be working with say 3ml in each bottle but the smallest bottles we would be using would be the 10ml bottles to do this with.

We also looked at some small crock pots and about the smallest we could find with the warm setting on it was 3 quarts. Has anyone taken a temp reading to see what the actual temp is on warm in a crock pot?

I have a mini crockpot with two settings - warm, and hot. On both this one, and also on my much bigger one, the temperature can be maintained at 150 degrees on the warm setting with the lid cracked!

I think my small one is this one:
http://www.target.com/p/crock-pot-slow-cooker-2-qt/-/A-14232098#prodSlot=medium_1_5&term=crockpot

CgS_Drone

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I have a mini crockpot with two settings - warm, and hot. On both this one, and also on my much bigger one, the temperature can be maintained at 150 degrees on the warm setting with the lid cracked!

I think my small one is this one:
http://www.target.com/p/crock-pot-slow-cooker-2-qt/-/A-14232098#prodSlot=medium_1_5&term=crockpot

Thanks, I see on the one you linked to it says low and high. We are able to find those but was worried where it didn't say warm that the low setting would be to warm.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks, I see on the one you linked to it says low and high. We are able to find those but was worried where it didn't say warm that the low setting would be to warm.

Sorry - I should have said it was low!

VU Sponsors