Become a Patron!

The BOREAS RTA by Augvape and Roxy

Droogbc

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Not to derail the thread any futher, but I also wonder when 4 cell staggered mods will appear. If I can stuff two rx200's in my back pocket and walk around all day, I can certainly handle a 4 cell box.

Droogbc

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
For me to be really interested in a lipo rig it has to have equal or better runtime than the triple LG HG2 equipped mod I'm using now...and tc, and all of the bells and whistles.

At the end of the day, I'm intrigued, but it's like switching from gas to diesel. There may be huge benefits, but they really have to be compelling for me to want to switch from the format that I'm familiar with and has worked so well for me thus far...

Then again, I love advances in technology and look forward to adopting something better when it comes along.

...like the Boreas. ;)

haleysdadda

AKA BILL
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
For me to be really interested in a lipo rig it has to have equal or better runtime than the triple LG HG2 equipped mod I'm using now...and tc, and all of the bells and whistles.

At the end of the day, I'm intrigued, but it's like switching from gas to diesel. There may be huge benefits, but they really have to be compelling for me to want to switch from the format that I'm familiar with and has worked so well for me thus far...

Then again, I love advances in technology and look forward to adopting something better when it comes along.

...like the Boreas. ;)
+1

Mikhail Naumov

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Unlisted Vendor
Lipos sag less than 18650's, meaning a lipo will sag (internal battery voltage drop THIS IS NOT THE SAME AS VOLTAGE DROP ON MODS) less and an 18650 will sag past the mod voltage (low battery) cutoff before a lipo does. AKA you get more out of your MaH. So a 1,400mah Lipo would have the life of a 1,600mah 18650. Also, take a 1,300mah 3S lipo. That's 1,300mah PER cell, it's like having three 1,300mah 18650's, A 3S lipo DNA200 setup equivalent to a high wattage dual 18650 mod using dual Samsung 25R's in series would be about 1,500mah. So a 3S 1,500mah 30C (C rating is amperage, to get the amperage of a lipo multiply the C (in this case 30) by the first to numbers with a decimal point inbetween (say 1,5000 turns into 1.5, a 16,500 would be 16.5) and you get the amperage. 30 x 1.5 is 45A.Then burst (pulse) rating is usually double, so it would be 90A.

Mikhail Naumov

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Unlisted Vendor
I had the company I work for design it for me. 121 x 62 x 30. Well I designed it for the most part, they just made it. I may be an engineer, but I don't have the multi-million dollar setup for that kind of stuff.

Last edited:

markcfh

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That's a really good size especially for the mah/c rating. I have soft packs at 5000/35c a lot larger

Mikhail Naumov

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Unlisted Vendor
Am I allowed to do that here? Like, advertise myself?

Also I don't sell many mods, I made that one for myself. But I do sometimes.

Mikhail Naumov

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Unlisted Vendor
I may be a wild, butt hurting, offensive sociopath but after what happened to Roxy, even though I know this forum is WAY cooler about well, everything, I'd rather avoid that road.

I'll gladly point you in the direction of parts and make you diagrams through PM though. Always happy to help aspiring modders.

roxynoodle

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
After watching and reading all the reviews I've got to say that I am shocked and appalled by the way that some of the folks are pointing at Augvape and some of the folks are pointing at Sreamcrave, and crying "copycat."

Am I the only point holding my UD Bellus aloft and calling them both copycats?

Point is, this is evolution and change. Duplicate ideas can and will happen without theft of ideas...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

I just have one thing to say:

Crius-->Griffin-->Gemini-->Billow v3-->top airflow Griffin

I don't think Boreas having a snap in deck makes it a copy of the Bellus.

Mikhail Naumov

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Unlisted Vendor
I really don't see why people think top airflow does anything but kill flavor. The top airflow, even if it travels down to the deck, loops back into chimney because the bottom airflow pushes it back up. Top airflow is gimmicky and kills flavor, want more airflow? Design more on the bottom.

Also the Bellus is nothing like the Boreas. One thing does not make it a copycat. UD is not a company known for innovation, it has a FEW products like that, but most are me too products. Also the Aromamizer V1 predates the Bellus.

Mikhail Naumov

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Unlisted Vendor
Am I the only one who finds it hard to wipe juice off the black boreas? It's as if the powder coat makes it just want to smear, and my OCD has my cleaning the tank for 30 minutes to get it all, stock-looking.

shawn.hoefer

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

@roxynoodle I know... I agree... just sad not seeing anyone else make the connection. It's like reviewers have a 2 week long memory...

Also the Bellus is nothing like the Boreas. One thing does not make it a copycat. UD is not a company known for innovation, it has a FEW products like that, but most are me too products. Also the Aromamizer V1 predates the Bellus.

Three Itty bitty words... well, two 'cause there's some hyphenation goin' on...

Snap-in deck

Aromamizer V1 did not have this. Bellus did.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Mikhail Naumov

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Unlisted Vendor
Then the Bellus is a copy of something else for having a drip tip, oh and a glass, oh and for using stainless steel, OH SHIT, can't forget about those 510 threads, the two post deck, the juice channels, OH RIGHT and adjustable airflow, top fill.

UD should be ashamed.

Plus neither 'snap in', it's just O-ring press fit, which is what I did with my Aromamizer V1. If I threaded it into the bottom cap first the holes wouldn't be lined up, so it 'snapped' in as well.

tazz2293

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Vic did a proper review.

Not because he likes the BOREAS but because he made his arguments for and against. Presented evidence, showed why the BOREAS was different and what he liked and disliked about the BOREAS. Not much he didn't like about the BOREAS. In fact I would hazard a guess and say he thought the BOREAS was down right Brilliant.

That was fun to watch.

tazz2293

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Mikhail - At least you are an honest asshole. :D

We will all rub each other the wrong way at sometime. We are humans and that is what humans do.

You have provided some fun, challenged our thinking and ideas, provided some great knowledge and for me it has been a treat to have you a long for the ride.

Not everyone will like you, you know that, you'll piss one or all of us off at one time or another. But guess what, we will do the exact same thing at some point in time.

I think as time has passed and people have gotten to know you we have figured out that you're an alright dude, even if you are an honest asshole at times. ;)

As for me you are a part of the ever expanding BOREAS community.

tazz2293

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Am I the only one who finds it hard to wipe juice off the black boreas? It's as if the powder coat makes it just want to smear, and my OCD has my cleaning the tank for 30 minutes to get it all, stock-looking.

I haven't noticed that. BUt I am not as OCD as some people. :cool:

What I have noticed about the black BOREAS is it does not seem to get as warm as the SS one. Maybe the Powder coating acts as an insulator.

MY SS one get get quite warm at times. Different coils may explain why the SS seems to get a bit warmer. Sometimes it concerns me just how warm it will get.

I also think with the Black one it is easier to grip to adjust the AFC/JFC. The SS one can feel a little slick to me at times, juice or no juice on my fingers or on the AFC/JC ring.

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Mikhail - At least you are an honest asshole. :D

We will all rub each other the wrong way at sometime. We are humans and that is what humans do.

You have provided some fun, challenged our thinking and ideas, provided some great knowledge and for me it has been a treat to have you a long for the ride.

Not everyone will like you, you know that, you'll piss one or all of us off at one time or another. But guess what, we will do the exact same thing at some point in time.

I think as time has passed and people have gotten to know you we have figured out that you're an alright dude, even if you are an honest asshole at times. ;)

As for me you are a part of the ever expanding BOREAS community.
I always say.........
tumblr_nrcuqi3Fl51tkiabzo1_1280_zps7jkdmqfd.jpg

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I haven't noticed that. BUt I am not as OCD as some people. :cool:

What I have noticed about the black BOREAS is it does not seem to get as warm as the SS one. Maybe the Powder coating acts as an insulator.

MY SS one get get quite warm at times. Different coils may explain why the SS seems to get a bit warmer. Sometimes it concerns me just how warm it will get.

I also think with the Black one it is easier to grip to adjust the AFC/JFC. The SS one can feel a little slick to me at times, juice or no juice on my fingers or on the AFC/JC ring.
Stop VAPING it at 230 watts!

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Yeah, the coating definitely accentuates the juice around the air flow ring. There's just about no way to avoid it with the coils spitting right next to it though.

What I would have loved as a feature is indents while adjusting it. Because of the spit it is difficult to see how your holes are lined up. If you have good light, no biggie, dimly lit or night... forget it.

Maybe we will see a clicky ring like the super tank mini in Boreas V2.

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm pretty sure the vast majority of this forum depsises me given what's going on in the other thread, but at least there will be more memories by me left than those of my obituary the day I die. They said I loved to be hated, that I wanted pity. No. I just know what it's like to fight, that freedom of speech they use to abuse me with I took a bullet to the femur for and can't walk worth a damn some days because of it. Being spoon fed your rights puts you in a mind state that makes it alien to you when someone like me who has had to fight for everything they've ever had their entire life comes on and has an attitude that doesn't conform to theirs.

They can ask me to be polite when they've taken a bullet for their country, a country that wasn't even theirs to begin with (as I'm Serbian), until then, I'm still me.

Bah, forums have a short memory unless you cut someone deep with a personal attack.

roxynoodle

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Yeah, the coating definitely accentuates the juice around the air flow ring. There's just about no way to avoid it with the coils spitting right next to it though.

What I would have loved as a feature is indents while adjusting it. Because of the spit it is difficult to see how your holes are lined up. If you have good light, no biggie, dimly lit or night... forget it.

Maybe we will see a clicky ring like the super tank mini in Boreas V2.

Do you want clicky? Wouldn't that mess up it's ability to open all 4 holes, then close it down slightly so your jfc was nearly wide open, but airflow was tighter? The Squape R has that ball bearing to lock the airflow, but that would take away a lot of Boreas' adjustment. Since the jfc is tied to it, I think that might be a mistake?

Or did I misunderstand?

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Do you want clicky? Wouldn't that mess up it's ability to open all 4 holes, then close it down slightly so your jfc was nearly wide open, but airflow was tighter? The Squape R has that ball bearing to lock the airflow, but that would take away a lot of Boreas' adjustment. Since the jfc is tied to it, I think that might be a mistake?

Or did I misunderstand?

Yeah, you're right. It would mess up that ability of you are looking for a tight draw but juice flow all the way open. I wasn't thinking of that group, only of myself lol.

I think the juice linked with the air makes sense as intended though. If you are pulling less air and pushing less power to the coil you don't need full juice flow. Maybe if you do, run the 2.5 deck with restricted 1 or 2 holes open.
I don't see how reducing the juice flow seriously impacts how a liquid can flow through it. I would think the same amount of liquid can slowly flow through a 3mm slot just the same as it could slowly flow through a 6mm slot.
We are not talking fire hose pressure trying to pass through.

Maybe people that run high resistance coils with choked off air flow have had dry wick issues? I would think they could have the same vape if they moved their micro coil to the left of the deck to line up with the 1 or 2 holes that are open and run the 2.5 deck and never have a dry wick.
And that buyer has to be the super minority of the Boreas owners, this is not a tootle puffer tank :D

Just for reference, I'm running a spaced TC coil with a slight adjustment to the left of the deck running 3 holes open.

Last edited:

roxynoodle

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Yeah, you're right. It would mess up that ability of you are looking for a tight draw but juice flow all the way open. I wasn't thinking of that group, only of myself lol.

I think the juice linked with the air makes sense as intended though. If you are pulling less air and pushing less power to the coil you don't need full juice flow. Maybe if you do, run the 2.5 deck with restricted 1 or 2 holes open.
I don't see how reducing the juice flow seriously impacts how a liquid can flow through it. I would think the same amount of liquid can slowly flow through a 3mm slot just the same as it could slowly flow through a 6mm slot.

Maybe people that run high resistance coils with choked off air flow have had dry wick issues? I would think they could have the same vape if they moved their micro coil to the left of the deck to line up with the 1 or 2 holes that are open and run the 2.5 deck and never have a dry wick.
And that buyer has to be the super minority of the Boreas owners, this is not a tootle puffer tank :D

Just for reference, I'm running a spaced TC coil with a slight adjustment to the left of the deck running 3 holes open.

I ,myself did not have any dry hit issues during testing, running one airhole open and therefore, cutting down juice flow. And I tested several decks and juice viscosities, and power ranges. But, apparently some have, so they appreciate using that solution of fully opening the jfc then cutting the airflow. Augvape did do an excellent job reducing turbulence on the airflow. On the first prototype we found some whistling, and the engineers corrected it :)

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It's a placebo effect, even max VG should be able to get through the 1 hole setting at the speed it is being asked to flow. Need more, use the 2.5 deck...

But I don't have a phd in fluid dynamics so what do I know lol.

Droogbc

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It's a better design than the Bellus though, as the Boreas' snap in deck can be removed and installed without the risk of disturbing wick placement.

You took an idea and improved upon it. Still innovative, imo, and is exactly how progress tends to work.

rolf 2

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee

now its getting interesting !
not a tootle puffers tank ? no its not .. but could be used as one . and does surprisingly well .
vaping with one air hole open and two rear juice holes blocked off never had a dry hit . never had a dry hit on the rdta v1 either and that had no juice control . but I realize vaping at 14 watt , single coil is a different story !
never build up the other deck with 2.5 mm holes was going to trade it for the 2mm one to some one using high vg and power. but come to think of it it would not make a big difference in my set up . I could allways silver solder the holes shut and drill new holes . vaping with one hole open and its still airy .
never paid any attension where the air hits the coil ..got to look at that
lots of food for thought ..thanks

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years

Yes. I solved the problem by carrying a piece of paper towel presoaked in vodka in a baggie use at my office.

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
now its getting interesting !
not a tootle puffers tank ? no its not .. but could be used as one . and does surprisingly well .
vaping with one air hole open and two rear juice holes blocked off never had a dry hit . never had a dry hit on the rdta v1 either and that had no juice control . but I realize vaping at 14 watt , single coil is a different story !
never build up the other deck with 2.5 mm holes was going to trade it for the 2mm one to some one using high vg and power. but come to think of it it would not make a big difference in my set up . I could allways silver solder the holes shut and drill new holes . vaping with one hole open and its still airy .
never paid any attension where the air hits the coil ..got to look at that
lots of food for thought ..thanks

Well, you are the ultra minority blocking one side off (kudos) and using a single coil setup. But it seems like you don't have any juice flow issues with the 1 hole setting.

You certainly can tighten up air flow in this but I still wouldn't think this is for the mtl crowd without going in your direction and literally have one single hole open.

Do try mounting the coil offset to the left. Leave the left leg straight and the right leg with a 90° to the right for a few mm's and another 90° in to the post. Should make better use of the focused air coming in from your single hole :cloud:
Even if you need to be extreme left you could probably get away with the wick only dropping down to the deck on the right side and laying across both holes. Should keep up with 14w no problem.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Well, you are the ultra minority blocking one side off (kudos) and using a single coil setup. But it seems like you don't have any juice flow issues with the 1 hole setting.

You certainly can tighten up air flow in this but I still wouldn't think this is for the mtl crowd without going in your direction and literally have one single hole open.

Do try mounting the coil offset to the left. Leave the left leg straight and the right leg with a 90° to the right for a few mm's and another 90° in to the post. Should make better use of the focused air coming in from your single hole :cloud:

I MTL with mine at about 1.2 ohms - definitely better experience double coiled than single. I have found one AJC open seriously mutes the flavor in my set up.

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yes. I solved the problem by carrying a piece of paper towel presoaked in vodka in a baggie use at my office.

That vodka's not in a baggie, it's in a bottle in the drawer of your desk used to fill that cup of "water" next to the phone lol jk.

(Cheech & Chong in court... that's not water man, it's vodka!)

VU Sponsors