Become a Patron!

The Daily Mixing Thread

ScReWbALL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So, I’m pretty methodical by nature and it seemed difficult to taste a recipe and try to adjust based on that and it just seemed a bit all over the page with results, so, I’m trying a different approach with this next round and was curious if, one...this might be an approach that would work or more of a waste, and two...what approach do you guys use to adjust your recipes.
It’s like old school keyboarding class and I’m using “Hunt and peck” when what I should be doing is finding the home row and being a bit more elegant and deliberate.
Basically, I’m abandoning Sweet Strawberry until I can order some more Strawberry flavors to help it out, and with how that Cherry worked out, I’m not touching that...leaves me with TFA-Juicy Peach, INW-Pineapple, And FA-Pomegranate...end result I’m looking for is just a harmony of the flavors without one just taking over the mix. The approach I used this time is I mixed up three versions without tasting or testing any of them
75c30ac000dba66fbb81bc051f4e8b37.jpg

I’m pretty sure I’m going to need more flavors to work out a balancing act between 3 pretty stout flavors like this, but I’m just curious about the methodology and how to go about finding the balance in a recipe that isn’t either “mix it up and cross your fingers” (my first approach) or going through a lot of juice with the scientific method of making the same thing multiple times with small incremental changes (the approach I’m using now).
Whether it’s a combo of these two approaches, a completely different approach, or one of these approaches being the best way...just curious on what everyone’s 2 cents might be about it.

You're not drinking water are you?! You realize that stuff is found in antifreeze!?!

Hillbilly Pig

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Reddit Exile
I never really thought about my mixing method, it's really just grab a few flavors and tell 'em, "alright, you fuckers better get along" for me. I do end up taking notes on certain mixes, especially ones that I refuse to give up on. To "fix" a recipe where it's too weak, I just add a bit of a stronger flavor that the mix is lacking, though if it's too strong, I will drop %'s way down next time, but not much I can do for it till then.

Kinda unrelated but it seems like you need some bull city therapy screwball. Go get you a cart ready, but be careful or you'll end up with a hundred bucks worth of flavors and some angry stares from your significant other.

wllmc

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Sponsor
VU Challenge Team
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
Did you see my post about my sister loving loranns watermelon?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
I remeber something about it. I like them all lol. I might like some more than others but really I haven't come across a watermelon I do not like.for me they all seem to find some use

sent from my phone but thats not the reason for the bad spelling. it is what it is yo.

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've got a question. Is there any flavor that can enhance Peanut Butter...besides Marshmallow (that's what I would want to say :))? I put some Cap Peanut Butter and Sugar Cookie together and it's pretty damn good. I feel it could use some more something though, perhaps more nut. But I don't want to run over the SC either as right now it's a decent balance at 4% each. I'm just curious.

Wannavape247

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I've got a question. Is there any flavor that can enhance Peanut Butter...besides Marshmallow (that's what I would want to say :))? I put some Cap Peanut Butter and Sugar Cookie together and it's pretty damn good. I feel it could use some more something though, perhaps more nut. But I don't want to run over the SC either as right now it's a decent balance at 4% each. I'm just curious.
Ive been using wf hazelnut and cream @ 0.25% to enhance my peanut butter flavour works pretty well and acetyl pyrazine enhances all nut flavours

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Sometimes the addition of another peanut butter is good. TFA and Caps peanut butters play well together.

wildgypsy70

“Widgy Pidgy”
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
So, I’m pretty methodical by nature and it seemed difficult to taste a recipe and try to adjust based on that and it just seemed a bit all over the page with results, so, I’m trying a different approach with this next round and was curious if, one...this might be an approach that would work or more of a waste, and two...what approach do you guys use to adjust your recipes.
It’s like old school keyboarding class and I’m using “Hunt and peck” when what I should be doing is finding the home row and being a bit more elegant and deliberate.
Basically, I’m abandoning Sweet Strawberry until I can order some more Strawberry flavors to help it out, and with how that Cherry worked out, I’m not touching that...leaves me with TFA-Juicy Peach, INW-Pineapple, And FA-Pomegranate...end result I’m looking for is just a harmony of the flavors without one just taking over the mix. The approach I used this time is I mixed up three versions without tasting or testing any of them
75c30ac000dba66fbb81bc051f4e8b37.jpg

I’m pretty sure I’m going to need more flavors to work out a balancing act between 3 pretty stout flavors like this, but I’m just curious about the methodology and how to go about finding the balance in a recipe that isn’t either “mix it up and cross your fingers” (my first approach) or going through a lot of juice with the scientific method of making the same thing multiple times with small incremental changes (the approach I’m using now).
Whether it’s a combo of these two approaches, a completely different approach, or one of these approaches being the best way...just curious on what everyone’s 2 cents might be about it.

You're not drinking water are you?! You realize that stuff is found in antifreeze!?!
This is actually pretty smart! I’m in the @Hillbilly Pig camp.....wing it, with a little research on the side. I definitely look up what other people use flavors at and read a lot of other peoples notes, especially when I’m working with something new. My own notes are a bit haphazard at times....and I’m still pretty new at it, so I trust the more experienced mixers to guide me. I’ve had my share of wtf moments and a few pretty damn good ones, but on the whole, still learning a lot and appreciating all the help along the way.

And yes, you are probably gonna need more flavors. :D Welcome to the rabbit hole. It’s deep...................

Hillbilly Pig

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Reddit Exile

I've heard hazelnut or another nutty flavor in a low dose can help it out, haven't tried it though.
EDIT: you can also use creams to smooth it out

Got some mixing done early this morning:
Red dragon custard, knocked the strawberry down a tad and raised the vanilla custard.
@Mykreign green apple flavor burst
Some cereal flavors on ELR

Fruit Loop Milk Shake

That sounds real good, keep us posted yeah?

Last edited:

Howard Hughes

the way of the future....
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I like strawberries & grapes with my peanut butter in my Peanut Butter & Jelly Sandwich.
Chocolates & cocoa also work well with it like in my Peanut Butter Cup.

ScReWbALL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I never really thought about my mixing method, it's really just grab a few flavors and tell 'em, "alright, you fuckers better get along" for me. I do end up taking notes on certain mixes, especially ones that I refuse to give up on. To "fix" a recipe where it's too weak, I just add a bit of a stronger flavor that the mix is lacking, though if it's too strong, I will drop %'s way down next time, but not much I can do for it till then.

Kinda unrelated but it seems like you need some bull city therapy screwball. Go get you a cart ready, but be careful or you'll end up with a hundred bucks worth of flavors and some angry stares from your significant other.

Lol, yeah...fortunately, I still manage to keep ahold of some of my money in my old account that I use for my vape budget and other misc personal things...and since package delivery to our apartment is inconsistent at best, I have stuff shipped to my parents house and pick it up there...so, I can order stuff and have it delivered and she’s none the wiser
On a side note, I’m used to folks complimenting the smell of the juice I’m vaping when I use fruit flavors, but it gave me an extra cheesy grin when walking into work today, as one of our cashiers stopped me and asked the name of the juice I was using and where could she buy it and I was able to say for the first time “Oh, I didn’t buy this at a shop, I made it”

CajunCanuck

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years

Our Wives sisters?.....lol

240ml of GOC

60ml of Slap Yo Mama BCP (first attempt)

240ml of a Forest Berry / Cream thingy I'm screwing with.....:)

Hillbilly Pig

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Reddit Exile
Don't need no new juice right now, but after doing an in tank mix, I couldn't help myself:
Peanut Butter Cupcake(WIP)
4% Cap vanilla cupcake
3% TFA peanut butter
.5% FA marshmallow
2% Cap sweet cream
1% FA fresh cream
1% TFA vanilla swirl
Haven't tried it yet, but it smells decent enough. Gonna give it a few days though.

ScReWbALL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Finally made something that was purely unvapeable, lol. Tried to invent a Peaches and Cream with 5% WF-Tahitian Vanilla Cream, 3% TFA-Juicy Peach, 1% HS-Cream...tried it, immediately just threw the bottle away, unwicked the coils, but then for safe measure just tossed those coils, and seriously considering soaking the RDA in a vat of white vinegar for an hour just get rid of the evidence that such a horrible tasting thing ever existed and that I was the one that created it. If this were a coil, I’d atone by sacrificing wire to the Coil Gods...not sure what the DIY equivalent is...maybe sacrificing VG to the Flavor Gods? Mix 2% Hail Mary with 1% Our Father?

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Finally made something that was purely unvapeable, lol. Tried to invent a Peaches and Cream with 5% WF-Tahitian Vanilla Cream, 3% TFA-Juicy Peach, 1% HS-Cream...tried it, immediately just threw the bottle away, unwicked the coils, but then for safe measure just tossed those coils, and seriously considering soaking the RDA in a vat of white vinegar for an hour just get rid of the evidence that such a horrible tasting thing ever existed and that I was the one that created it. If this were a coil, I’d atone by sacrificing wire to the Coil Gods...not sure what the DIY equivalent is...maybe sacrificing VG to the Flavor Gods? Mix 2% Hail Mary with 1% Our Father?

Lol that doesn't look bad. Maybe a little high on the hangsen cream

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't think it looks bad either, maybe the cream curdled his vanilla? :teehee:
If I had to pick a violating culprit though, it would be the juicy peach. I get an undertone of gum when I use that sometimes, maybe the FA peach/white peach combo would be better.
And I thought everyone knew that the sacrificial ritual to the DIY gods involved slathering your body with VG and dancing nude beneath a full moon while waving a black chicken. :crazy:

m9j6vii.jpg

ScReWbALL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
And I thought everyone knew that the sacrificial ritual to the DIY gods involved slathering your body with VG and dancing nude beneath a full moon while waving a black chicken. :crazy:

m9j6vii.jpg

How is that different than any other night of the week? Oh! The chicken is black instead...duly noted

ScReWbALL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@ScReWbALL you didn't tell us what it tasted like

Oh, that wasn’t an oversight...you know how your mind has a defense mechanism that can somehow block out traumatic events? Yeah, well, if I try to access the memory of how it tasted all I come up with is a post-it note in my handwriting that says “Don’t do that shit again!”

Edit: Seriously, though...it was predominantly just the taste of the Tahitian Vanilla, but on the exhale and the strong lingering aftertaste was kind of like that taste you get in your mouth when drinking orange juice right after you’ve brushed your teeth.

Last edited:

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
that taste you get in your mouth when drinking orange juice right after you’ve brushed your teeth.
I think maybe the fruity/floral notes in the tahitian vanilla (and there is something going on in there, not sure my description is the most apt) didn't get along with the peach. But again, I could be totally wrong, I usually am.

ScReWbALL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It can probably be salvageable if I had a bit of cash to throw at Bull City to get some things like the white peach and another kind of cream to either replace or assist the Tahitian Vanilla. With the stuff I already have...I might be able to bring the Tahitian Vanilla down a bit and smooth it out with some almond and/or biscuit flavor and rather than risk having the juicy peach take over by increasing it, trying a touch of pineapple just to help punch up the acidity/citrus notes so that it pops a bit more.

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
It can probably be salvageable if I had a bit of cash to throw at Bull City to get some things like the white peach and another kind of cream to either replace or assist the Tahitian Vanilla. With the stuff I already have...I might be able to bring the Tahitian Vanilla down a bit and smooth it out with some almond and/or biscuit flavor and rather than risk having the juicy peach take over by increasing it, trying a touch of pineapple just to help punch up the acidity/citrus notes so that it pops a bit more.

Are your recipes and flavor stash on ELR set to public?

Hillbilly Pig

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Reddit Exile
Hmm you could try dropping the Tahitian vanilla down to ~1% or so, lower the peach down to 2% and bring cream down to .5%, see if that helps. Ooh and perhaps two or three drops per ten mls of INW biscuit. Sounds kinda yummy actually...and maybe not directly related, but you could try some steep time with it, it may need it.

jasonandsarah

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Can someone please tell me why a good number of my mixes taste better fresh off the shake? It's mostly the fruit flavors that seem to disappear over time.
Example... I made a strawberry ice cream/waffle cone and it was really good for the first week at least. Then I let it sit (mostly because I was vaping other things) and when I came back to it a couple weeks later expecting it to be better, it wasn't. I mean it was still good but it tasted more like vanilla ice cream and a waffle cone.
Its still a new recipe to me and I wasn't done working on it obviously. But again it leaves me wondering should I add more strawberry? Is there anything I can use to keep fruits alive over time? Is this normal? lol those kinda questions... thanks in advance and sorry I rambled to much.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Can someone please tell me why a good number of my mixes taste better fresh off the shake? It's mostly the fruit flavors that seem to disappear over time.
Example... I made a strawberry ice cream/waffle cone and it was really good for the first week at least. Then I let it sit (mostly because I was vaping other things) and when I came back to it a couple weeks later expecting it to be better, it wasn't. I mean it was still good but it tasted more like vanilla ice cream and a waffle cone.
Its still a new recipe to me and I wasn't done working on it obviously. But again it leaves me wondering should I add more strawberry? Is there anything I can use to keep fruits alive over time? Is this normal? lol those kinda questions... thanks in advance and sorry I rambled to much.

Strawberry is one of the biggest culprits when it comes to fading over time. I would not add more strawberry, but instead steep your base and then add the strawberry to it when you're ready to vape it!

Hillbilly Pig

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Reddit Exile

Some flavors just fade, like @Mykreign said, strawberry's pretty bad about it. I find the most fade comes from fruit and cream mixes. The reason it happens, is cause they've had time to blend, and sometimes the stronger one will win instead of a beautiful mix.

jasonandsarah

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Strawberry is one of the biggest culprits when it comes to fading over time. I would not add more strawberry, but instead steep your base and then add the strawberry to it when you're ready to vape it!
Makes sence, so is there a strawberry that's less likely to fade? Or a mix of other flavors to achieve strawberry? Actually now that I thought of that ill probably try to mix some flavors to make strawberry and see if that holds up. Can't really add the strawberry when ready because Im trying to make this recipe for a friend. They also liked it but can still taste the strawberry fading.
Some flavors just fade, like @Mykreign said, strawberry's pretty bad about it. I find the most fade comes from fruit and cream mixes. The reason it happens, is cause they've had time to blend, and sometimes the stronger one will win instead of a beautiful mix.
See above thanks for the input.

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hmm you could try dropping the Tahitian vanilla down to ~1% or so, lower the peach down to 2% and bring cream down to .5%, see if that helps. Ooh and perhaps two or three drops per ten mls of INW biscuit. Sounds kinda yummy actually...and maybe not directly related, but you could try some steep time with it, it may need it.
I was gonna say the same thing. Inw biscuit is good in everything lol.

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Makes sence, so is there a strawberry that's less likely to fade? Or a mix of other flavors to achieve strawberry? Actually now that I thought of that ill probably try to mix some flavors to make strawberry and see if that holds up. Can't really add the strawberry when ready because Im trying to make this recipe for a friend. They also liked it but can still taste the strawberry fading. See above thanks for the input.

Shisha strawberry tastes better after about a week.

jasonandsarah

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
I was gonna say the same thing. Inw biscuit is good in everything lol.

I have inw biscut and cap sl biscut, would you agree they're similar but the cap one isn't as strong? Just wondering if it's just me or not, but that's what I've noticed. I use inw biscut if I want it to really stand out or make people know there's biscut. Where the cap adds that flavor/texture but without shouting hey biscuts here! Lol if that makes any sence at all.

jasonandsarah

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
^^^ what I was gonna suggest. Also I don't get as much fade from FA fresh cream, FA vienna cream, and Cap VBIC, but that's just me, don't know how true it is for everyone.
Thanks you just reminded me I need to order cap vbic. I have tpa/tfa vbic and it taste pretty good, but I get this weird taste from it once in awhile that I can't really descibe? Think others say it can have a slight pepper taste but I'm not sure that's what I'm getting. Either way hopefully the cap is better for my taste.

VU Sponsors