Become a Patron!

The Daily Mixing Thread

lirruping

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Anyone have any ideas about how tfa coconut candy and palm coconut compare?

I bought tfa cc in a search for the flavor of toasted coconut candy bought from street vendors in PR--a wad of shredded coconut mixed and baked with (I'm guessing) simple syrup so that they are a chewy mass of deliciousness, with a few burnt-ish edges. Tfa CC hits the spot pretty well for this, but without the burnt edges.

wildgypsy70

“Widgy Pidgy”
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Anyone have any ideas about how tfa coconut candy and palm coconut compare?

I bought tfa cc in a search for the flavor of toasted coconut candy bought from street vendors in PR--a wad of shredded coconut mixed and baked with (I'm guessing) simple syrup so that they are a chewy mass of deliciousness, with a few burnt-ish edges. Tfa CC hits the spot pretty well for this, but without the burnt edges.
THAT’S a great question! I will undertake that. I have both. I haven’t used the TFA recently and I’ve scoured my notes and can’t find anything.

I will let ya know soon.

wildgypsy70

“Widgy Pidgy”
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I've been mixing entirely too much over the last few weeks and am at the point again now where I've just got to stop. I have got juice sitting everywhere. There are easily another 15 recipes I could mix up, that will bug the living mess out of me until I do, but that little devil on my shoulder's gotta shut up for a while! :blah: Bet you know about him, don't ya? That little devil? :devil:

Hey, where is @88ArDeN88 ?
That devil constantly talks to me. I tell it “no, I don’t need any more eliquid! No more flavors!!”

It always wins.......:giggle:

lirruping

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I just read the notes on VTA Golden Syrup (at ELR - see Nadalama's recipe just above for link to page) and it sounds a lot like simple syrup cooked a little long, giving a light caramel note I'm putting it on my list! Guessing it could contribute to several nice candy recipes , including my coconut candy idea. I'd need something to give it some body (i'm thinking marshmallow), coconut flesh (fa coconut comes to mind for me) and something for the dark-nearly burnt bits. No idea about how to do that last. Anybody have ideas?

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I just read the notes on VTA Golden Syrup (at ELR - see Nadalama's recipe just above for link to page) and it sounds a lot like simple syrup cooked a little long, giving a light caramel note I'm putting it on my list! Guessing it could contribute to several nice candy recipes , including my coconut candy idea. I'd need something to give it some body (i'm thinking marshmallow), coconut flesh (fa coconut comes to mind for me) and something for the dark-nearly burnt bits. No idea about how to do that last. Anybody have ideas?

Toasted marshmallow? I'd put a smidge of NR's Paradiso in there too, if it were me.

wildgypsy70

“Widgy Pidgy”
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
How about TFA Toasted Marshmallow? Kill two birds with one stone.

wildgypsy70

“Widgy Pidgy”
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Yup. That’s pretty much it. Also works well as a “fake” pancake syrup. Like Aunt Jemimah’s type thing.

wildgypsy70

“Widgy Pidgy”
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
So.....Palm Coconut vs Coconut Candy.

Palm Coconut is sweet, creamy and has that coconut candy bar texture. There’s also a real coconut element. Like the inside of a candy bar. Can stand alone better.

Coconut Candy is sweet, thinner. Like a coconut hard candy. Not as much body. More like coconut extract. More like a booster.

Both are good and useful for a lovely, sweet coconut taste. Just depends on what you’re looking for.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
@wildgypsy70 I don't know if you have already, but if you have not, please try out a good dose of OOO Powdered Sugar in a cake or two. (I've mixed two different recipes using it at 2% in addition to other sweeteners, cake base flavors of FW Yellow Cake, Cap Cake Batter, and Cap Sugar Cookie.)

I am more convinced than ever now that OOOPS brings out a sweet crusty taste that I haven't tasted before in any other cake combination.

Mix up something small when you get a chance. You'll see what I mean right off the bat. It's unmistakable. I guess the questionable part is whether you like having that golden crusty taste in cake or not. To me it adds to realism, adds depth, does not add a lot of extra sweetness. I am gaga over it. :)

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
New Nilla Cake remix

Almond (Mandorla) (FA) 1.5%
Butter Cream (CAP) 1.5%
Cake Batter (CAP) 0.6%
Coconut (FW) 1%
French Vanilla Deluxe (TPA) 2%
Frosting (Flavorah) 2%
Joy (FA) 0.6%
Marshmallow (FW) 2.5%
Marzipan (FA) 1.25%
Powdered Sugar (OOO) 2%
Sugar Cookie (CAP) 1.5%
Yellow Cake (FW) 4%

Needs steeping, this might be just a first-of-many, but no offense intended, I had to get rid of the FA Cookie and Cap VCV1 in my Nilla Cake. There's a lot I like about this mix already. The Cookie needs to calm down.

wildgypsy70

“Widgy Pidgy”
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
@wildgypsy70 I don't know if you have already, but if you have not, please try out a good dose of OOO Powdered Sugar in a cake or two. (I've mixed two different recipes using it at 2% in addition to other sweeteners, cake base flavors of FW Yellow Cake, Cap Cake Batter, and Cap Sugar Cookie.)

I am more convinced than ever now that OOOPS brings out a sweet crusty taste that I haven't tasted before in any other cake combination.

Mix up something small when you get a chance. You'll see what I mean right off the bat. It's unmistakable. I guess the questionable part is whether you like having that golden crusty taste in cake or not. To me it adds to realism, adds depth, does not add a lot of extra sweetness. I am gaga over it. :)

Excellent tip! I haven’t tried that. But I will definitely try it now! Sounds like what’s missing with cake flavorings.....that touch of crust. I’m working on a cake right now so we’ll see what happens. Thank you so much!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wildgypsy70

“Widgy Pidgy”
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I have used 000 powdered sugar as a coating to a apple jak recipe. 0.5-0.75% works well for me. It adds to the flavor of the bits. I'm still working on this one.
Nice! Another good tip. I’ve got a big bottle of powdered sugar in my cart....my little bottle is almost gone. :(

Artemis

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I hope I haven't asked this question before. Does anyone know if Nic River blue raspberry is a good stand alone flavor? I have had it a few months (untouched) and have no clue on why I purchased the flavoring. :) I'm must be some sort of flavor ho who is very forgetful.

Boogenshizzle

Member For 2 Years
Unlisted Vendor
So when I’m sketching or exercising, I listen to all kinds of vaping things. A few days ago, I was listening to @Boogenshizzle do one of his q&a sessions on FB. He was going on about something and I caught a gem of an idea.....FA Custard Premium and FA Maple to create butterscotch. I just now tried it...Premium at 2.5% and Maple at 0.5%.....it definitely works! Off the shake it’s creamy, a little dark, rich and thick. A few days of steeping should do it a world of good. The maple might be too high? We’ll see in a bit.:DThat man is a wealth of knowledge!
That maple most definitely will be too high. I usually keep it around .15% That being said, it might be BANGING in a really airy RDA! Kudos!

wildgypsy70

“Widgy Pidgy”
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
That maple most definitely will be too high. I usually keep it around .15% That being said, it might be BANGING in a really airy RDA! Kudos!

Yeah, I figured. And it definitely was! Haha! I tried it at .1% and bangarang! It was perfect! Thanks for your knowledge, dude!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wildgypsy70

“Widgy Pidgy”
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I hope I haven't asked this question before. Does anyone know if Nic River blue raspberry is a good stand alone flavor? I have had it a few months (untouched) and have no clue on why I purchased the flavoring. :) I'm must be some sort of flavor ho who is very forgetful.
Not a clue.

And I can relate:giggle:

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I have not looked yet, thought I'd ask first in case anyone knows right off, but are any of you aware of a Black Walnut flavoring? Black walnut of course is quite different from regular walnut, in case you've never tasted one.

I want black walnut ice cream. This is another of those things I remember from kid-days, and would love to replicate it in eliquid.

ETA: Looks like Bickford flavors (now carried by DIY Vapor Supply) has a Black Walnut. It is water soluble, so not an oil. I think that's good news.

ETA2: DIY Vapor Supply's cheapest shipping rate is $7.49? They can keep it.

Last edited:

Artemis

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I have not looked yet, thought I'd ask first in case anyone knows right off, but are any of you aware of a Black Walnut flavoring? Black walnut of course is quite different from regular walnut, in case you've never tasted one.

I want black walnut ice cream. This is another of those things I remember from kid-days, and would love to replicate it in eliquid.

ETA: Looks like Bickford flavors (now carried by DIY Vapor Supply) has a Black Walnut. It is water soluble, so not an oil. I think that's good news.

ETA2: DIY Vapor Supply's cheapest shipping rate is $7.49? They can keep it.
Same here! Always made a cart but never ordered. No option for first class mail. Lorann makes a black walnut but its loaded with sugar if I remember correctly.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Same here! Always made a cart but never ordered. No option for first class mail. Lorann makes a black walnut but its loaded with sugar if I remember correctly.

If I needed to place a bigger order and shipping was $7.49, I might consider it.

At first I had added some PG & VG and the shipping was over $10. No way.

So wonder how many flavors they'll ship for $7.49? I'll have to check that out next time I'm ready to order, just to get that Black Walnut.

Of course, as @RonJS said, if they're in Michigan, who knows if they'll be shipping for long?

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
So I'm taking a survey, for anyone who cares to give an answer:

Even though I am overrun with juice, and I said I was gonna take a break from mixing, and I already mixed a couple of things since I said that....

Am I gonna mix tonight the Chocolate Meringue Pie recipe I came up with last night?

Devil's saying, aw, c'mon, it'll only take a minute, it's just one more flavor, don't you wanna try the chocolate? Oh now you are just being silly making all these rules and besides, what's it gonna hurt? Just one more bottle? Huh? Huh?

And I'm saying good god, I can barely move for vape stuff sitting all over the place, and every time I try to pick up a battery I knock something off this damn table, and besides which it is gonna take me FOREVER to get through all the juice I already have....there are at least 50 30ml bottles of stuff already mixed up.

See my conundrum? I needs me some help!

Artemis

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Even though I am overrun with juice, and I said I was gonna take a break from mixing, and I already mixed a couple of things since I said that....

Am I gonna mix tonight the Chocolate Meringue Pie recipe I came up with last night?

Devil's saying, aw, c'mon, it'll only take a minute, it's just one more flavor, don't you wanna try the chocolate? Oh now you are just being silly making all these rules and besides, what's it gonna hurt? Just one more bottle? Huh? Huh?

And I'm saying good god, I can barely move for vape stuff sitting all over the place, and every time I try to pick up a battery I knock something off this damn table, and besides which it is gonna take me FOREVER to get through all the juice I already have....there are at least 50 30ml bottles of stuff already mixed up.

:) One more bottle couldn't hurt.

wildgypsy70

“Widgy Pidgy”
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon

I’m with @Artemis

wildgypsy70

“Widgy Pidgy”
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon

And this sounds like my desk.....hahahahaha!!!

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Well I mixed it. And I've tasted it. And it ain't bad, but it has no Cap Chocolate Fudge Brownie in it. It might be alright, we'll see. For as much chocolate as there is in the recipe, the chocolate tastes pretty light, and that's after I added an extra 1% of Cocoa. I originally had only 1% Cocoa. I'm gonna call this one a steeper, I'll try it again in 3 or 4 days.

Chocolate Meringue Pie

Bavarian Cream (TPA) 4%
Butter (TPA) 0.4%
Chocolate Glazed Doughnut (CAP) 2.3%
Cocoa (Cacao) (FA) 2%
Glamour Chocolate (Molinberry) 2.5%
Meringue (TPA) 2.75%
Pie Crust (FW) 2%
Powdered Sugar (OOO) 1.25%
Sweetener (FW) 0.8%

Total 18%

I wish I could find my TFA Bittersweet Chocolate. It needs maybe 1% of that in place of the 1% Cocoa I added.

Last edited:

Artemis

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Well I mixed it. And I've tasted it. And it ain't bad, but it has no Cap Chocolate Fudge Brownie in it. It might be alright, we'll see. For as much chocolate as there is in the recipe, the chocolate tastes pretty light, and that's after I added an extra 1% of Cocoa. I originally had only 1% Cocoa. I'm gonna call this one a steeper, I'll try it again in 3 or 4 days.

Chocolate Meringue Pie

Bavarian Cream (TPA) 4%
Butter (TPA) 0.4%
Chocolate Glazed Doughnut (CAP) 2.3%
Cocoa (Cacao) (FA) 2%
Glamour Chocolate (Molinberry) 2.5%
Meringue (TPA) 2.75%
Pie Crust (FW) 2%
Powdered Sugar (OOO) 1.25%
Sweetener (FW) 0.8%

Total 18%

I wish I could find my TFA Bittersweet Chocolate. It needs maybe 1% of that in place of the 1% Cocoa I added.
You inspired me to come up with a recipe for creme-caramel custard. I will have to research some decent flavorings.
Creme-Caramel-Custard5.jpg

Edit: I'm thinking WF Caramel butter, Molinberry Legendary custard/flavorah custard.I haven't mixed up MB Legendary custard but from the reviews it seems it could stand alone.

Last edited:

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
So I tried Dinner Lady Lemon Tart. Not that big of a fan I guess. It reminds me of TFA Fruit Circles without the chimical note. It's tastes a bit Pledge-y but maybe I haven't tried enough yet.

Lemon Tart V4 from ELR, voodootroll I think? Great recipe, sub FE Lemon for the FA Lemon Sicily.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
You inspired me to come up with a recipe for creme-caramel custard. I will have to research some decent flavorings.

Edit: I'm thinking WF Caramel butter, Molinberry Legendary custard/flavorah custard.I haven't mixed up MB Legendary custard but from the reviews it seems it could stand alone.

Kinda makes me think of Meg's Boss Blonde Caramel Custard, but so many good new flavors have come out lately!

Jonnytc1

Member For 4 Years

The legendary is really rich and eggy like. Very flavourful in the nickbrosia recipe. Best custard I've tried in 10 years

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

RonJS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
If I needed to place a bigger order and shipping was $7.49, I might consider it.

At first I had added some PG & VG and the shipping was over $10. No way.

So wonder how many flavors they'll ship for $7.49? I'll have to check that out next time I'm ready to order, just to get that Black Walnut.

Mebbe also check if "ELRECIPES" for 10% off still works ?? :idea:

VU Sponsors