“Widgy Pidgy”
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Hey... good info people! I will be patient and ride this out (the VT issues) but good to know I can get them from the UK.
I asked before, but does anyone know a recommended % (solo) for VSO blueberry and or blackberry?
I’d start at 2% for the Blueberry. Not sure about the Blackberry.

wildgypsy70

“Widgy Pidgy”
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I checked my own list (results of several years of research from different sources) I have VT and FLV white chocolate.
Oh no... I knew BCF had dropped some VT flavors but now it seems VT is not even there anymore.
The FLV and FW combo has been my go to for years. I‘lol have to look at my notes for the ratio. TFA does the pepper thing for me.☹️

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Thank you WG. I forgot about FW white chocolate (that's a great sub for VT... maybe even better)
I'm so busy right now but you saved me from mixing the VSO berries too strong (and I already know TFA acai is very strong) Going to do a quick shake and vape of the berries (just a 10 ml batch) I actually like the blackberry even more than the blueberry (which is so good) They go so good together (and I originally mixed those, and some VSO cheesecake and loved it!

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Made my berry mix and like it (acai tastes like a tart grape to me but works fine with blueberry/blackberry)
Did two SFTs (WF glazed donut and FA maple syrup) I am going to find out which one has the "off note" I don't like (will give them a quick steep but I will know very soon)
Made my own creation (I have made this before and like it) Lemon licorice buttermint (with marshmallow)
Oh... and (of course) more LB white chocolate peppermint (love that stuff... should really make big batches of it)
I'm officially burnt out on POG (passionfruit, orange, guava) Seems I don't like guava as much as I thought (going to replace it with mango next time)

gloopdegurp

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
I mixed one revised and seven new testers this past week which puts me at 57 in my steeping drawer. I also have five more out for vaping.

Still no "winners" yet, though by winner I guess I mean something I would pay commercial prices for. There are some that I could live with as is but most of those that I think have promise are still undergoing revisions.

I know I really should focus on a few at a time and get those worked out to where I'm happy or give up on them but I keep writing new recipes and want to mix them right away.
I have a few dozen recipes written up waiting to be mixed though many are revised versions.

I had one recently that I got a bit excited about after trying it out in two drippers but figured I should test it in a sub-ohm tank and it didn't really fare as well in that.
That was a version of my Poppy's Milk which is a try at something along the lines of Vapetasia's Milk Of The Poppy. (cream/dragonfruit/strawberry)
I have a few different versions along that line going.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I mixed one revised and seven new testers this past week which puts me at 57 in my steeping drawer. I also have five more out for vaping.

Still no "winners" yet, though by winner I guess I mean something I would pay commercial prices for. There are some that I could live with as is but most of those that I think have promise are still undergoing revisions.

I know I really should focus on a few at a time and get those worked out to where I'm happy or give up on them but I keep writing new recipes and want to mix them right away.
I have a few dozen recipes written up waiting to be mixed though many are revised versions.

I had one recently that I got a bit excited about after trying it out in two drippers but figured I should test it in a sub-ohm tank and it didn't really fare as well in that.
That was a version of my Poppy's Milk which is a try at something along the lines of Vapetasia's Milk Of The Poppy. (cream/dragonfruit/strawberry)
I have a few different versions along that line going.

Welcome to DIY! You sound just like me when I was getting myself all geared up and could have spent hours every day writing recipes and mixing.

Pretty soon, new mixes were taking over the place and there was no way I could vape everything I had mixed up. I apparently do not have "discerning" taste buds like other people do, because I thought many of my own mixes were absolutely fabulous, and I had to rein myself in and say that I was going to pick 8 or 10 recipes that were special favorites of mine, and let the rest of them sit for some unknown time in the future.

I still have well over a hundred recipes on ELR that I've never mixed. It was super easy for me to get carried away. :)

As you said, it will help if you pick a few recipes that show the most promise, work on getting them like you want them, and at some point decide if you're going to keep working with them or move on. If you've got one right, mark it as a "Keeper" and mix it when you need to. Not to belabor the point, but doing anything else really does waste your supplies, and in a time when we never know if we'll be able to replace our supplies tomorrow, that is something to consider.

wildgypsy70

“Widgy Pidgy”
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Is it just me or does TFA dragonfruit taste like "juicy fruit" gum? Not a bad thing... just wondering if others get that.
Yea, a little? It’s just vague fruit, which is in line with Juicy Fruit gum. It’s a good bridge/emulsifier. Not a main flavor, at least for me.

wildgypsy70

“Widgy Pidgy”
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Welcome to DIY! You sound just like me when I was getting myself all geared up and could have spent hours every day writing recipes and mixing.

Pretty soon, new mixes were taking over the place and there was no way I could vape everything I had mixed up. I apparently do not have "discerning" taste buds like other people do, because I thought many of my own mixes were absolutely fabulous, and I had to rein myself in and say that I was going to pick 8 or 10 recipes that were special favorites of mine, and let the rest of them sit for some unknown time in the future.

I still have well over a hundred recipes on ELR that I've never mixed. It was super easy for me to get carried away. :)

As you said, it will help if you pick a few recipes that show the most promise, work on getting them like you want them, and at some point decide if you're going to keep working with them or move on. If you've got one right, mark it as a "Keeper" and mix it when you need to. Not to belabor the point, but doing anything else really does waste your supplies, and in a time when we never know if we'll be able to replace our supplies tomorrow, that is something to consider.
Getting carried away is so easy! When I did that 365 thing…..damn. So many ideas, so little time to tweak. I think I might have mixed 10 of them and gave up because it was too much work to get them to “fabulous”. 😂

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Getting carried away is so easy! When I did that 365 thing…..damn. So many ideas, so little time to tweak. I think I might have mixed 10 of them and gave up because it was too much work to get them to “fabulous”. 😂

Hey there, stranger! Long time, no talk. Hope that things are good in C'ville!

gloopdegurp

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years

Thank you for sharing some of your early experiences with DIY, we do share some similarities!

I am hoping to come up with or find at least six, maybe up to a dozen, go to mixes to carry me through the rest of my journey while also using testers to fill the in betweens or to spice things up if the regulars get a little boring.

I do have several thousand recipes by others saved so I should be pretty well set if I run out of ideas or need a little variety later on.

wildgypsy70

“Widgy Pidgy”
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Oh my! I'm thrilled for you and your family - and Congratulations are surely in order!!! When is the due date?
We’ll find out today. We’re guessing January/February, but an ultrasound should give us a better idea. We are SO thrilled!!!💜

wildgypsy70

“Widgy Pidgy”
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Welp, she’s 9 weeks along…..so early to mid January!

To keep things on topic, I mixed up a blackberry cheese Danish. I’ll post a recipe if it actually comes together. Not impressive, yet, but I’ll give it a week and see what happens.

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Finally did SFTs on WF glazed donut and FA maple syrup. It was the donut that had the off flavor but this time it didn't really bother me (must have mixed it too strong before) The maple is fine but kinda "meh" (maybe sweetener would help?)

wildgypsy70

“Widgy Pidgy”
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Going to try a couple two flavor mixes:
FW butterscotch ripple + WF banana puree
MB brownie smores + FW hazelnut

BTW, that cake wasn't very good (not enough apple cinnamon and mushy)... doesn't matter, I'm still making a recipe with that profile.
I wanna say @nadalama has a trick for cakes, if I’m remembering correctly? OoO Powdered Sugar? Whatever it is, it gives the cooked kind of crispy edge to the cake. I would also add that OoO CornBread at around 1ish% would dry things out a bit without bringing a “cornbread” taste.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I wanna say @nadalama has a trick for cakes, if I’m remembering correctly? OoO Powdered Sugar? Whatever it is, it gives the cooked kind of crispy edge to the cake. I would also add that OoO CornBread at around 1ish% would dry things out a bit without bringing a “cornbread” taste.

1%, or thereabouts, OOO Powdered Sugar

It's like the difference between microwaved cake and oven-baked cake. Golden crust type of finish, most noticeable in white and yellow cakes.

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
1%, or thereabouts, OOO Powdered Sugar
Yes... I remember you mentioning that. I will be ordering more flavors soon so will keep that in mind. That might also help my french toast recipes. Thanks.
Flash to the past... when microwaves were a new thing, my aunt tried to make a chocolate cake. OMG it was like some lava flow thing (I was freaked out about microwaves for years)

BobsHere

From Wherever
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Good idea. I have seen recipes for that before (maybe even a "one shot")
I haven't seen any or even thought about what flavor mix it is. It's good and sweet, thanks to that good ol corn syrup 😋 lol

Googly says:
Water, High Fructose Corn Syrup, and Less than 2% of: Concentrated Juices (Apple, Clarified Pineapple, Passionfruit, Orange), Fruit Purees (Apricot, Papaya, Guava)

BobsHere

From Wherever
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years

wildgypsy70

“Widgy Pidgy”
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I got some fancy coffee awhile back (coconut caramel) It had that "toasted" coconut taste (loved it) Is TFA toasted coconut good (if so, at what % solo?) Are there any others I should look at?
There’s a TFA Toasted Coconut?! Now I gotta go look it up.

I usually use Pur Toasted Coconut Cheesecake for such things. But I’m sure there’s something even better out there.

wildgypsy70

“Widgy Pidgy”
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I just picked this up in my latest BCF order. I also got their Caramel Coffee With Milk recently so I might try mashing those two together to see what happens.
I'll think I'll call it 1960 Brew for the inspiration!
Caramel coffee with milk is AMAZING. Such a good coffee flavor. Reminds me of Caramel Waffle Cappuccino by The Sauce LA.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Yes... I remember you mentioning that. I will be ordering more flavors soon so will keep that in mind. That might also help my french toast recipes. Thanks.
Flash to the past... when microwaves were a new thing, my aunt tried to make a chocolate cake. OMG it was like some lava flow thing (I was freaked out about microwaves for years)

If I already had the flavors on hand, I'd try a mixture of regular coconut (like VTA Dessicated, which I love thanks to @wildgypsy70) and TFA Toasted Marshmallow. It just seems like the "toasted" effect would be much the same, and stingy as I am, I don't hesitate at all to use two flavors in place of one (plus the marshmallow lends some sweetness, too - possibly enough to do without any other sweetener, so at that point it's two for two).

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I like making what I call my "childhood memories" juices (50/50 bar... creamsicle, strawberry quick, ect) Any have ideas for more along that line (even if you haven't actually mixed them)?

The childhood flavor that I couldn't wait to mix is a Sour Peach Gum. These may have been only regionally available, but when I was a kid we used to get these big gum balls that were individually wrapped in clear plastic, and the gum balls were bright yellow with tiny red specks on them. Man that was some great bubble gum. I have a recipe that for me hits the nail on the head, on ELR:

Oh, and here's the Clove Gum. I think we talked about this before:

I might mix some of the Clove Gum this afternoon. I've been out for a long time and I miss it!

Last edited:

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Googly says:
Water, High Fructose Corn Syrup, and Less than 2% of: Concentrated Juices (Apple, Clarified Pineapple, Passionfruit, Orange), Fruit Purees (Apricot, Papaya, Guava)
I have most of those... but I'm thinking it also has cherry (maybe not)

BobsHere

From Wherever
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I have most of those... but I'm thinking it also has cherry (maybe not)
Not listed on the ingredients but the recipe link posted has some.

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Mixing done:
Tobacco mix (always) Going to also mix some apple to add to it after it steeps but I needed some for now.
butterscotch ripple with banana
brownie s'mores with hazelnut (tried peanut butter before and liked it)
FA custard premium (after it steeps, will add berries)
White chocolate peppermint (won't mention that again... never get tired of it)

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Found OOO powdered sugar at DIYFS (this will be my first order from them) Last time I ordered OOO pie crust from Amazon (only have 30 ml) Making a list of other flavors they have.
Watching DIYorDie Noted on coconut (newer one) There are some new ones even you guys may have not tried ;)

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
About coconut... closest I could find to "toasted" coconut were INW coconut cookies and PUR toasted coconut cheesecake (I remember when it was on half price sale at River... should have jumped on that!)
For regular coconut some say FLV sweet coconut and VTA dessicated coconut are the best (actually this all based on DIYorDie Noted... the newer one)

VU Sponsors