The Foodie Thread

Crennan_Baker

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
Haven't picked up new beer yet. Got a sixer of some milk stout last night, got to the liquor store right before closing and didn't have time to peruse.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I think it is criminal that my Scuttlebutt brewing Tripel 7 was hidden in the back of the walk-in cooler along with the 24oz shit beer. And it was on sale.

More for me....

flowerpots

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I think it is criminal that my Scuttlebutt brewing Tripel 7 was hidden in the back of the walk-in cooler along with the 24oz shit beer. And it was on sale.

More for me....

Ha! Sounds about right for around here as well

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Ha! Sounds about right for around here as well

Yesssssss, Miss....

1327466890719.jpg

Crennan_Baker

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
uploadfromtaptalk1405123797685.jpg Threw a couple dogs on for my little girl. Cant wait to see what the Mrs. is making inside.

Crennan_Baker

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
uploadfromtaptalk1405124864417.jpg wife made some herb and butter potatoes and carrots.

Ace

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ok. I didn't make this just ate it at a restaurant. Dates stuffed with chorizo wrapped in bacon (holy crap meat candy on a plate) and black bean, rice and avocado fritters w/ paprika salt, lime crema. So so so good. I can totally get into the tapas thing.

VapDrak

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
... and now I'm hungry... and on a diet!!!
I thought this was about vaping, DAMN!!!

VaporJoe

_ the end has arrived _
Staff member
VU Owner
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Something special about hot coals!!

Crennan_Baker

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
I dont know why all my photos upload landscape, but I do not like it.

Frawg

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I haven't made anything new or noteworthy in a while. I do make awesome spreadable, tactical bacon, that I really need to find onions for again, and get to the Amish bulk foods store for some new spices. When I do cook I tend to make people hate me because they're always on diets.

Diet - DIE with a choice of endings up or down.

ToeKnee

Founding Vendor
Founding Vendor
VU Vendor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Wtf just found this thread. Great thread so far. Will keep in mind to contribute soon.

Frawg

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
uh me too, recipe, please!

I could schmear that on everything.
Unfortunately because I sell mine to family & friends I do not share my recipe, it's taken me 5 years of trial & error to come to where I'm at pending doing the research & paying the fees to be able to sell to the general public. I am however willing to accept new friends who can buy it from me without being considered general public. Monies I raise from sales of this help offset the costs of our cat rescue. This is the one thing I don't share recipe wse, anything else is fair game.

Though this thread has me thinking about reopening my food blog with recipes & photos of the other things I make.

flowerpots

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Unfortunately because I sell mine to family & friends I do not share my recipe, it's taken me 5 years of trial & error to come to where I'm at pending doing the research & paying the fees to be able to sell to the general public. I am however willing to accept new friends who can buy it from me without being considered general public. Monies I raise from sales of this help offset the costs of our cat rescue. This is the one thing I don't share recipe wse, anything else is fair game.

Though this thread has me thinking about reopening my food blog with recipes & photos of the other things I make.[/QU

Totally understandable. And I will buy some from you. So if you get a blog going, or I can just send you money via paypal, let me know.

Crennan_Baker

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years

Though this thread has me thinking about reopening my food blog with recipes & photos of the other things I make.
Oh, I cry now. I would definitely get some. I bet it's great with bacon.

Frawg

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Totally understandable. And I will buy some from you. So if you get a blog going, or I can just send you money via paypal, let me know.
I've had the blog up for a while but life happened and I got tied up with a job and then caring for a family member and then it got neglected. It can be viewed: http://foodforfrawggz.blogspot.com/
Usually when I have a batch of bacon jam ready (or am getting ready to make one) I post about it in my bacon centered recipe group on facebook (https://www.facebook.com/groups/613115695367428/) If I ever end up acquiring a larger stock pot than I have now I'll be able to make bigger batches, and it will be slightly longer between batches. Currently my largest batch was 96oz of spreadable goodness. I can say I've used it to trade for work on my car, vape gear and juice (the local B&M owner loves the stuff), but mostly I end up spending profits from the jam on buying cat food and cat litter, or paying down on the vet bill.

We live near a lot of Amish and one family has a bulk foods store so I can get spices, additives, and jars for a tenth of what even Wal-mart sells, so I've lowered my prices a bit there.

Frawg

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Oh, I cry now. I would definitely get some. I bet it's great with bacon.
It wonderful with bacon. So far the only thing its not good with is dessert. Yeah I've found a way to make bacon NOT go with dessert. Its just that bitter/sour don't always go with sweet, though sometimes they do.

The only real thing I need to know of is if you have any food allergies. I have one customer who buys the bacon jam knowing that she can't have much because she's allergic to onions, so for her I'm working on a special beta-batch that is onion/garlic free. I also do make a gluten-free variety, its mostly that one component of the mixture includes gluten so if I change that ingredient I eliminate the gluten and get a GF version. I'm also testing out ideas for a "Holy crap that's hot" version. I can't eat much capsaicin so I have to be careful when I cook with it, but I have a spicy lover in the house who will help me add spice to the batches or jars that need it.

VapDrak

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just making tagliatelle con funghi or spaghetti, depends on the hunger my nephews have... they are doing the work, I'm only directing... it's called teaching, I think :D

Frawg

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
It sounds good, except I know I can't eat it, being intolerant of mushrooms makes them one of those things I know better than to eat. I've not had a true allergic reaction yet, though I've had two different allergy & gastro doctors tell me its only a matter of time.

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Good stuff here (especially the bacon jam) - limited on pics, though I do the bulk of the cooking around here. Although my motto is "I can cook anything you want, as long as you want beef cooked using fire!" I actually do some other stuff too. Wifey normally takes pics of my food and uploads to her interweb places, all I've got is the prep work for a stir-fry night where she and the daughter choose their veggies and protein to go in my balsamic/soy/ketchup-based sauce for personal plates, then I throw in whatever's left and eat it for dinner and take the rest as lunch leftovers the next day...
BYW1gooCcAAFBlA.jpg:large

I also like beer, mostly local San Diego local West Coast ales...
BlD9A54CcAALM8F.jpg:large

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I've had the blog up for a while but life happened and I got tied up with a job and then caring for a family member and then it got neglected. It can be viewed: http://foodforfrawggz.blogspot.com/
Usually when I have a batch of bacon jam ready (or am getting ready to make one) I post about it in my bacon centered recipe group on facebook (https://www.facebook.com/groups/613115695367428/) If I ever end up acquiring a larger stock pot than I have now I'll be able to make bigger batches, and it will be slightly longer between batches. Currently my largest batch was 96oz of spreadable goodness. I can say I've used it to trade for work on my car, vape gear and juice (the local B&M owner loves the stuff), but mostly I end up spending profits from the jam on buying cat food and cat litter, or paying down on the vet bill.

We live near a lot of Amish and one family has a bulk foods store so I can get spices, additives, and jars for a tenth of what even Wal-mart sells, so I've lowered my prices a bit there.

Glad to hear ya got a little motivation from the thread. :D
Those muffins reminds me of my Cheesy Bacon Cornbread...gotta find those pics.

Love the Jam too, curious on why you have them upside-down? Usually you want headspace at the top, eh?

I have some new pics, but have yet to process 'em. So, here's an old brekky pic. ;-)

Ham and Eggs Hash Scramble

Eggs, cubed ham, Serrano, orange sweet pepper, onions, and a potato.
tWWBNXKl.jpg

Cook 'em in the pan with some butter, herbs & spices and S&P....Anolon rocks.
JRZuet4l.jpg

This is how brekky is done...with Cheeese!
p0Yf35bl.jpg

Now for the closeup shot.
uNELpD5l.jpg

Noms...:D

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
+1 CaFF on the Anolon - 8+ years in and I'd take my used pans against any/all comers...

flowerpots

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I drink this stuff every damn morning. Love it! I have a fairly decent espresso machine, so I run it through that. All in all, the Bustelo is very decent utilitarian espresso. I like it better than most expensive cans readily available. That said, the only thing that beats it is the Cenfro Cafe beans that my local roaster gets in from time to time.

I got the Bustelo today to give it a try - I like it! And it's cheap. Win-win!

Frawg

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Love the Jam too, curious on why you have them upside-down? Usually you want headspace at the top, eh?

Its a weird trick I learned from my mom, its a habit I've had since I was nine or so. There's still headspace, they're only upside down for a few minutes until they ping sealed and then they get turned rightside up. I'm in the market for a good (and affordable) pressure canner [new or used], and will eventually have to break myself of that habit as it won't ever actually do anything once I start pressure canning.

I ship all my bacon jam in cooler boxes with ice packs unless its just one small jar and its not expected to be 900 degrees in the travel time (winter is best).

flowerpots

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I have an odd question. I want to ship someone caramelized bacon for their birthday, across the U.S. Is this safe? Will the bacon be bacteria-ridden by the time it arrives? Thoughts?

Frawg

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
@flowerpots If you ship priority on a Friday it SHOULD arrive by Monday to most locations. Its been cooked, so its a lot like bacon bits which are cooked & sealed & shelf stable. Candy coating the bacon makes it a bit safer in that the candy coating wont attract bacteria as easily as the bacon itself would. This little blurb is from one of the places that sells candied bacon - "Because the bacon is candied (cooked down and preserved with sugar & salt), they are safe for transit without refrigeration. They have a 3 month shelf life (or 6 months if refrigerated upon receipt). Best to eat at room temperature." Making sure the bacon is precooked to bacteria kill temp first is the best way to ensure its safe.

flowerpots

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
@flowerpots If you ship priority on a Friday it SHOULD arrive by Monday to most locations. Its been cooked, so its a lot like bacon bits which are cooked & sealed & shelf stable. Candy coating the bacon makes it a bit safer in that the candy coating wont attract bacteria as easily as the bacon itself would. This little blurb is from one of the places that sells candied bacon - "Because the bacon is candied (cooked down and preserved with sugar & salt), they are safe for transit without refrigeration. They have a 3 month shelf life (or 6 months if refrigerated upon receipt). Best to eat at room temperature." Making sure the bacon is precooked to bacteria kill temp first is the best way to ensure its safe.

Thanks for the help, Frawg. I wasn't sure. I'll do 2-day priority then.

Nikkita6

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reviewer
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
I have. It's....ok. It's in the Cuban style intended for cream and lots of sugar. .AKA kinda burnt tasting. ...lol

I bought it for making this: http://www.rickbayless.com/recipe/flan-de-cafe/

Kind of earthy, astringent, very dark and finely ground. It's interesting, but I probably won't buy more. Just a personal preference. It's cheap at Wal-Mart.

How-To:
http://www.instructables.com/id/A-TributeHow-to-make-Cuban-Coffee-Cafe-con-le/

More reviews:
http://www.possessedbycaffeine.com/2009/11/cafe-bustelo-coffees.html

Hey! I love Cafe Bustelo ... and yes, I have it with lots of cream and sugar:oops:

Cramptholomew

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Bustelo is better than most coffees twice the price.

Now, a totally different topic. It's food related in the way that: SOMETHING IS EATING MY TOMATOES!!!! I don't know what to do about it. Could be squirrels. I put out water for them, like a nice guy, and they're like "F U Dude!". Any suggestions?

VapDrak

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ok... seriously now.
The problem I have with tomatoes are a kind of flies, they come in as soon there is a decent pink to red color on them and my solution was to build kind of a little home made greenhouse around them. But squirrels are a whole other thing but you could try to protect your goodies with a kind of "tomatoe shack", perhaps?

Cramptholomew

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Ok... seriously now.
The problem I have with tomatoes are a kind of flies, they come in as soon there is a decent pink to red color on them and my solution was to build kind of a little home made greenhouse around them. But squirrels are a whole other thing but you could try to protect your goodies with a kind of "tomatoe shack", perhaps?
Yeah, that's my last resort I guess. I'll have to wait till next year though, because I'll have to rework the entire beds. I might just throw some if that black plastic chicken wire stuff over them and see what happens.

VapDrak

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah, that's my last resort I guess. I'll have to wait till next year though, because I'll have to rework the entire beds. I might just throw some if that black plastic chicken wire stuff over them and see what happens.

If it's squirrels that sounds like a good solution, if it's something smaller you could look at greenhouse plastic and, as I did, make a kind of shack... looks terribly "redneck/hillbilly style" but saves your tomatoes :D

Frawg

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
We had ham & mashed potatoes for dinner. I spent that time fighting off the kitten trying to steal fistfulls of my spuds. It looked like ordinary ham and mashed potatoes, but with paw prints in the spuds. Uh sorry, no photos.

flowerpots

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I'm making this tonight, but mine won't look as good as the stock recipe photo, so I'll use that one:

sesame grilled shrimp.jpg

Orange-Sesame Noodles with Grilled Shrimp

Ingredients:
  • 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
  • 3 tablespoons tamari or soy sauce
  • 3 tablespoons peanut butter
  • 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
  • 2 teaspoons freshly grated ginger
  • 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
  • 10 ounce soba noodles or spaghetti
  • 1 cup snow peas
  • 1 carrot, cut into matchsticks
  • 1 1/2 pounds large shrimp, peeled and deveined
  • 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Well, the duct-tape camera still works...

A nice brekky sandwich, open faced for less mess. ;)

Made up a nice spread of minced onion, pickle, habanero pepper and mayo with some s&p and dry dill.
Cooked up some diced breakfast sausage and an egg with just a pinch of yellow curry powder for flavor and color.

(Note,you shouldn't normally have raw meat on the same cutting board as other foods...I just did that for the pic.)

L9GO8pml.jpg

zdFh9fIl.jpg

Added some garlic pepper salt, Pequin powder and Majoram to the sausage as it was a bit bland.
When nicely browned, poured off the excess fat and added the beaten egg.....

6VpYNwSl.jpg

All done cooking. Placed egg/sausage on the muffin halves and added some sharp velveeta and a sprinkle of smoked paprika. Then I put it in the turned-off pan and covered to heat the muffins and melt the cheese. Yeah I know, there are better cheeses...it melts so nicely though. ;)

fmpVWLil.jpg

Yummers.:D

Crennan_Baker

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
I haven't cooked anything noteworthy. The weekend was crazy, yesterday I made some pizza bread out of a french loaf I had, but, I didn't think to take pictures. Also haven't gotten any good beer, been busy as all hell.

VU Sponsors