The Foodie Thread

m3rma1d

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Always wondered what does crumpets taste like?
OMG they're sooooo goooooooood. I got hooked on them in Australia. Trader Joe's is the only place I've found in the US that has them consistently.

They're like an English muffin in shape, except they're like eleventy billion times more delicious, moist, & spongy.

My fave way to have them is with butter & honey, altho tonight I was feeling ambitious (after playing in the shrubbery) and busted out the PB & J which was pretty goddamn delectable.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
OMG they're sooooo goooooooood. I got hooked on them in Australia. Trader Joe's is the only place I've found in the US that has them consistently.

They're like an English muffin in shape, except they're like eleventy billion times more delicious, moist, & spongy.

My fave way to have them is with butter & honey, altho tonight I was feeling ambitious (after playing in the shrubbery) and busted out the PB & J which was pretty goddamn delectable.

Nice!

You could always make your own ya know. ;-)

http://britishfood.about.com/od/eorecipes/r/Recipe-Traditional-English-Crumpets.htm

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Last night's snack: A re-habbed Dollar Store chicken sammie.

Butterflied the patty and added sharp aged white cheddar and pastrami.
The buns got stone-ground mustard and a mayo-habanero/sweet relish sauce. Much better now. =)

aJtCtoKl.jpg

Today's Brunch: Used that lentil/rice stuff with beans and cheese for a burrito. Slathered with chilli, "sour cream" and cheese with red hab sauce. Added a sprinkle of garlic pepper, Marjoram and Chile de Arbol for color. :)

F5uOiDTl.jpg

Last edited:

Frawg

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I had a pack of Fat Debra er Little Debbie crunch donuts today. I'm entirely sure if I tried cooking anything today - even as little effort as microwaved popcorn that I'd manage to summon a demon, set the kitchen on fire and still not have food. I'm going to bed.

Ace

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've seen them at TJs that's why i wondered.

guess I'll have to grab some. Eng. Muffins with peanut butter is one of my weaknesses. The honey sounds good too. Or peanut butter AND honey. Hmm. Off to the kitchen made myself hungry

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
After shopping the Interwebs, needed food. Made stoopidly spicy Cheeseburger.

Fried Salami CHeesebuger w/ LUST super-hot sauce from Australia.
Also, bacon ranch, grilled onion and pickled jalapenos on wheat buns. :D

Fried the Genoa Salami on my grill pan to lube 'er up and de-fat the salami, then did the 1/3lb patty. Onions on the side to get nice and sweet. Whole wheat buns got bacon ranch and the diced onions and Jalapeños. The burger got some cheese, dark Hickory/Brown Sugar BBQ sauce and THIS:

▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪
Scorpion Chilli: Seven Deadly Sins - LUST
HIGHLY LIMITED
Heat 10+

This one will entice you into eating more and more! A mix of super hot chilli pods: 7 pod, Trinidad Scorpion, Bhut Jolokia and Dorset Naga along with strawberry, honey and lime this sauce is seductive in taste. If given into the romance of 'Lust' will burn you badly!

http://www.chilliseedbank.com.au/id62.html
▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪

(Ya, photobombing Tiki - I was using her area for the nice lighting..lol)

Dissonance

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Last night's snack: A re-habbed Dollar Store chicken sammie.

Butterflied the patty and added sharp aged white cheddar and pastrami.
The buns got stone-ground mustard and a mayo-habanero/sweet relish sauce. Much better now. =)

aJtCtoKl.jpg

Today's Brunch: Used that lentil/rice stuff with beans and cheese for a burrito. Slathered with chilli, "sour cream" and cheese with red hab sauce. Added a sprinkle of garlic pepper, Marjoram and Chile de Arbol for color. :)

F5uOiDTl.jpg

That looks mouthwatering and I would surmise that it tastes even better than it looks.

Dissonance

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Yum. That's my dinner simmering away. Chicken carrots broccoli cabbage parsnips and I'll eat the whole pot (not the pot obviously). It's seriously good food and very healthy

View attachment 4601

Good food for the heart low in fat, cholesterol and sodium. I love boiled and steamed vegetables.

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Good food for the heart low in fat, cholesterol and sodium. I love boiled and steamed vegetables.
Yes that's very true and the main reason I boil instead of fry. I don't do al dente very much. Sometimes I even mash it all completely. But I like the large cabbage leaves whole (and keep the chicken or turkey separate)

Dissonance

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Yes that's very true and the main reason I boil instead of fry. I don't do al dente very much. Sometimes I even mash it all completely. But I like the large cabbage leaves whole (and keep the chicken or turkey separate)

My friend's daughter just started college and I'm trying to educate her on eating well. In my younger years I was a junk food fanatic, chips and soda were my addiction but as I got older and became more educated I knew I couldn't continue a lifestyle of Cheeto's:p I too love cabbage and carrots, it's amazing what you can do with veggies when prepared right. I use whole cabbage leaves as wraps, yummy....

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
That looks mouthwatering and I would surmise that it tastes even better than it looks.

Thanks, it's a fun thing to improve on cheap foodstuffs.

Surprisingly, the patty is actually some decent white chicken, not just ground-up "parts" and fat. Still, it is pretty meh without some sprucing up. :)

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yup, I made more burritos for watching football today...

Same lentils & rice w/ salmon and the leftover bits of my potato/mushroom stuff.
Added re-fried beans, Mexi-cheese and a sploosh of El Yucateco Red Habanero sauce.
Sour cream on the top, bit of cheese, pepper and Chile de Arbol for fun.

Shitty photo from my kitchen...had to use the flash and it still looks crap.

uQ4Nlgwl.jpg

See how much difference real sunlight makes?

VPnaE8Pl.jpg

Nom...

Last edited:

Dissonance

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Those burritos are making my mouth water. I used to eat them stuffed with Avocados, vine ripened tomatoes and goat meat with melted Dutch Havarti cheese and grilled onions. Sooooo yummy:D

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Haha having said all that, I just got off the phone to a friend and we were talking about KFC. It does taste nice although I'm probably the only person here who'd eat it. I get great satisfaction out of veggies. Cabbage (and vegetables) are underrated - probably because they forced us to eat badly cooked stuff at school. I've been buying something called Sweetheart Cabbage. It's leaves are amazing in a stew. Thing about having vegetables with your meat is you can really pack out a meal with them. Good if you're watching your weight as you can eat twice as much for half the calories, maybe more.

image.jpg

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Those burritos are making my mouth water. I used to eat them stuffed with Avocados, vine ripened tomatoes and goat meat with melted Dutch Havarti cheese and grilled onions. Sooooo yummy:D

Well, damn..yours sounds waaay better. IDK where I'd find goat though...
grin.gif

I take it you're either not from the U.S., or used to live elsewhere?

Dissonance

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I used to get these all the time at a little hole in the wall place I like. LOVE these!

Those hole in the wall places are the BEST!!! I like the small ambient vibe where there are few people and the service is great. Sometimes I go out late at night and find these places, great prices and good service. I tip well always. These people work hard to give great service.:)

Dissonance

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Haha having said all that, I just got off the phone to a friend and we were talking about KFC. It does taste nice although I'm probably the only person here who'd eat it. I get great satisfaction out of veggies. Cabbage (and vegetables) are underrated - probably because they forced us to eat badly cooked stuff at school. I've been buying something called Sweetheart Cabbage. It's leaves are amazing in a stew. Thing about having vegetables with your meat is you can really pack out a meal with them. Good if you're watching your weight as you can eat twice as much for half the calories, maybe more.

View attachment 4676

You definitely can make a terrific meal with veggies with or without meat. I'm striving to go Vegetarian, seldom eat meat anymore, but that's more for moral purpose than anything else as I have great respect for animals and don't like to see them put through cruelty. When I was younger it was a totally different story. But now I'm working to make long overdue lifestyle changes for the better. KFC was great! I would buy buckets and invite friends over, now it's far too greasy and will have me put on weight which I don't want. I stuff my Cabbage with carrots, cheese, sprouts, avocado, olives and vine ripened tomato. It's a mother load when I finish. You can use it to do arm curls:D

Dissonance

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Well, damn..yours sounds waaay better. IDK where I'd find goat though...
grin.gif

I take it you're either not from the U.S., or used to live elsewhere?

No all American in the states. Check your yellow pages for Mexican cuisines that should help. I drive around and when I see a small place I go and check it out. You want to ask for "Birria" many places have it stewed and marinated. Always request "extra" to satisfy your palate. I get it with Avocado and sprouts because I'm not a huge lettuce fan.

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I hadn't thought about using it to do wraps. It's leaves are very thick and perfect for the job. So you'll be going to KFV then @Dissonance ;) oh man yeah, I remember the KFC nights. It was like sex in a bucket! (for four)

Dissonance

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Here's another 5 STAR plate for your dinner. Enjoy!

81eUMQ2W6M1tQT-640m.jpg

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
No all American in the states. Check your yellow pages for Mexican cuisines that should help. I drive around and when I see a small place I go and check it out. You want to ask for "Birria" many places have it stewed and marinated. Always request "extra" to satisfy your palate. I get it with Avocado and sprouts because I'm not a huge lettuce fan.

Ah, well, I know how that is. I used to work at several restaurants and a good friend here is a chef.

I also live next to a Mexican store and deli. ;)

My problem isn't a lack of restaurants or ethnic stores: it's having little desire to be around people, no car and no money. So, I make my own food.

If you've ever worked in a restaurant, you'll probably realize a lot goes on that you don't see. ;)

My house, I know exactly what is going into my food and how it's prepared too. I'm simple that way and I almost never get sick. :)

Dissonance

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I hadn't thought about using it to do wraps. It's leaves are very thick and perfect for the job. So you'll be going to KFV then @Dissonance ;) oh man yeah, I remember the KFC nights. It was like sex in a bucket! (for four)

I haven't had KFC for a long time, no more greasy fried food. I used to love them. It WAS sex in the bucket for a dozen and I would always get an extra bucket to go with a case of Modello. Ahh the memories.

images

Dissonance

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Ah, well, I know how that is. I used to work at several restaurants and a good friend here is a chef.

I also live next to a Mexican store and deli. ;)

My problem isn't a lack of restaurants or ethnic stores: it's having little desire to be around people, no car and no money. So, I make my own food.

If you've ever worked in a restaurant, you'll probably realize a lot goes on that you don't see. ;)

My house, I know exactly what is going into my food and how it's prepared too. I'm simple that way and I almost never get sick. :)

I too enjoy cooking at home it's nice to have more control that way over your food preparation. I do enjoy going out as well and am selective to the places I choose. Check out the Mexican store you live next to, I'm sure you can find good sale on goat.:)

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I haven't had KFC for a long time, no more greasy fried food. I used to love them. It WAS sex in the bucket for a dozen and I would always get an extra bucket to go with a case of Modello. Ahh the memories.

images

Irony, I almost bought some Modelo yesterday at the MX store!

Then, I saw the store had this for $7.49....

pkTecLbl.jpg

Decision, made.

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Haha...naughty Hobby...

Behind the Scene of that burger pic: http://www.vapingunderground.com/th...ts-other-pet-pics-here.1795/page-4#post-88087

I'm lucky that she's a mellow kitty. :)
Cute

I'm kidding of course about the restaurant. My parents had restaurants and I also worked in my Greeks friends place. They were meticulous for cleanliness, not just scrubbing down at the end of the night but all night long.

In any case, it's easier to work in a clean environment. But when I smoked I used to go at back of kitchen. Bad I know. The health inspectors would've fined them if we were caught.

Dissonance

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Cute

I'm kidding of course about the restaurant. My parents had restaurants and I also worked in my Greeks friends place. They were meticulous for cleanliness, not just scrubbing down at the end of the night but all night long.

In any case, it's easier to work in a clean environment. But when I smoked I used to go at back of kitchen. Bad I know. The health inspectors would've fined them if we were caught.

That's my ancestral background, at least one of them. Greeks are known to be very sanitary when it comes to food preparation. I have been to restaurants (5 star Greek Cuisines) where the napkins and silverware were meticulously placed and spaced. Hot bread and olive oil with your bottle of wine, tasty soup for your appetizer and live musicians serenading. I still have memories of broiled Lamb Shanks to die for. Makes me wonder what I was on when I went through the drive thru at McDonald's

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That's my ancestral background, at least one of them. Greeks are known to be very sanitary when it comes to food preparation. I have been to restaurants (5 star Greek Cuisines) where the napkins and silverware were meticulously placed and spaced. Hot bread and olive oil with your bottle of wine, tasty soup for your appetizer and live musicians serenading. I still have memories of broiled Lamb Shanks to die for. Makes me wonder what I was on when I went through the drive thru at McDonald's
They're Greek Cypriots. Brilliant cooks and business people. They learn by working in their parents restaurants while kids. I used to drink the juice from the kleftiko. Oh that is sooo nice. Have it on chips/chunky fries too

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hmm, seems all of Dissonance's food images are sourced from Internet sites. ;-)

Not a bad thing, but hopefully he's not representing them as his own photos is all.

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Not a bad thing, but hopefully he's not representing them as his own photos is all.
Well the photo of my cabbage was my own :D

Dissonance

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

No they are from the web. I used them as illustration of what I have tried in the past.:)

Dissonance

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Cabbage roll with sour cream, tofu, fresh tomatoes and sprouts for dinner tomorrow.

Last edited:

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Made a quicky brekky scramble thingy this morning.

etWRDXll.jpg

Nice part is, after I had chucked some in a tort for a brekky burrito, there's some left over to reheat later on. :)

VU Sponsors