Become a Patron!

The Foodie Thread

Daniel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
OK, Big post here, but it's worth it. ;)

Chicken Tinga I made awhile back...

I used:

• about 2lbs boneless chicken breasts - sliced on bias into approx. 1" strips
  • Chipotle in adobo
  • 1.5 onions
  • 1 orange habanero chile, chopped
  • 1 bulb of garlic, peeled and mashed/chopped
  • Mexican Oregano, MX coarse sea salt, black pepper, cumin, a bay leaf, hot chile flakes, some poultry seasoning in lieu of Thyme, and a cube of Knorr beef bullion
  • for liquid, I used some saved liquid from boiling a few sausages with sauerkraut. (adds a nice beefy tartness)
  • one diced Tomatillo
  • one roasted tomato, also diced
  • additional chipotle, garlic and MX chile powders

Poultry, sliced up.

The stuff. I divided the onion/garlic/habanero into piles for cooking the chicken and for the later slow-cooking. The larger chunks of onion were for the stewing so they wouldn't disappear.

Heated some leftover fat from making a bacon burger along with some Manteca, then added the onions, Habanero and garlic. Cooked a bit to season the fat nicely, then added the chicken and spices. Cooked until slightly browned.

As it cooked and I moved the pieces around, I broke them up with my bamboo spoon. Saves the PITA of shredding them. ;-)

Meanwhile, I'd put the liquid, the Chipotle in adobe, roasted tomato, tomotillo, the beef bouillon cube, the extra powders and the remainder of the veggies in the cooker to heat. Then, added the chicken when it was tender and ready. Mashed the chicken with a potato masher a bit in the sauce, brought to a simmer and turned down to slow-cook for about 2-3 hours. =)

Behold the spicy awesomesaucery!
I prefer having some chunks instead of all shreds...if I want smaller I can make them smaller.

Yummmm!! :cool:
Dayyyyyummmmmm, I would LOVE to experience that dish 1 time, just 1 time. It looks so good I tried to lick the screen...lmao, not really, but jeez, that looks great!!

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Dayyyyyummmmmm, I would LOVE to experience that dish 1 time, just 1 time. It looks so good I tried to lick the screen...lmao, not really, but jeez, that looks great!!

Thanks! :D

It's pretty easy to make, actually. It's basically stewed chicken in a slow-cooker.

Why did I leave the meat in 1" strips instead of smaller? Because, sliced on bias, the larger strips are easy to find and break up into nice bits. Try breaking up cubed chicken...

I like the smaller portions getting more sauce in 'em then if I'd say, quartered the breasts. More surface area = more flavor to soak in.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Bday debauchery pix....

(sorry about the chroma aberrations...they have multicolored lighting that really messed with my camera.)

SbJDMwG.jpg

Frickin' GOOD freebie steak. They marinate 'em. Tender and juicy served sizzling hot..
Garlic toast was good too. Baked Potatoes went in the metal to get some of those yummy steak juices. ;-)

Also, had two local beers:
Big Barn Brewing Strong Oat Stout (pictured)
No-Li (pronounced no-lie) Brewing Born and Raised IPA.

Strong stuff. :D

Crennan_Baker

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
Guys! I'm back! Tonight the wife and I made a chicken tortellini dish with bell pepper alfredo sauce. I pureed bell peppers into some dressed up jar sauce, diced pan seared olive oil and Italian chicken, made a garlic french loaf and that was that. Sorry for the absence. Anyone going to ASD in Vegas? uploadfromtaptalk1406933565326.jpguploadfromtaptalk1406933573258.jpg

m3rma1d

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Trader Joe's Steak & Ale pie. I don't encourage anyone to buy this. I was tricked because I've never had a dud from there before now.
10390908_10204645946694481_764209983974356050_n.jpg

I was so mad I did a review on instagram...
#traderjoes Steak & Ale Pie #expectationsvsreality. Doesn't LOOK that bad, but it's bad. Bland chunks of beef with congealed gravy, mushy carrots, tiny potato cubes, and real bits of gristle inside a doughy, soggy pastry. Mmmm #dinnersready!

Crennan_Baker

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
@m3rma1d looks delicious, ISNT delicious. Also, I like to pronounce your name mer-mald.

Ace

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I haven't had steak pie since my mom passed. It was a staple in the house growing up. It would probably be my death row last meal.
I almost grabbed that trader Joe's one but it has mushrooms which I hate. Now I'm REALLY glad I didn't.
Trader Joe's Steak & Ale pie. I don't encourage anyone to buy this. I was tricked because I've never had a dud from there before now.
10390908_10204645946694481_764209983974356050_n.jpg

I was so mad I did a review on instagram...
#traderjoes Steak & Ale Pie #expectationsvsreality. Doesn't LOOK that bad, but it's bad. Bland chunks of beef with congealed gravy, mushy carrots, tiny potato cubes, and real bits of gristle inside a doughy, soggy pastry. Mmmm #dinnersready!

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Woke up last night at like 1am, couldn't sleep. So made a snack for watching a movie.

I'd pre-cooked a few corn torts, so just piled on my meat filling with cheddar cheese, onion, mashed garlic, black olives, jalapeno and some S&P.

Added to that the last of my veggie rice with more of that same olive/onion/garlic/jalapeno stuff, some leftover Stagg chilli, more black olives and cheese. Used Cheddar and Queso Oxaca cheeses.

Sauced it up with a bit of Bufalo Picante Especial Mexican Hot Sauce and everything got a sprinkle of crushed dry Majoram and Chipotle powder for color. Served up with my fave Homestyle corn tortilla chips from Don Pancho. They have rounded corners!

Not bad at all for 1AM cookery. :D

Frawg

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Bday debauchery pix....

(sorry about the chroma aberrations...they have multicolored lighting that really messed with my camera.)

SbJDMwG.jpg

Frickin' GOOD freebie steak. They marinate 'em. Tender and juicy served sizzling hot..
Garlic toast was good too. Baked Potatoes went in the metal to get some of those yummy steak juices. ;-)

Also, had two local beers:
Big Barn Brewing Strong Oat Stout (pictured)
No-Li (pronounced no-lie) Brewing Born and Raised IPA.

Strong stuff. :D
Color me green with envy. I had walmart deli pizza for my birthday with a small side of food sensitivity.

Frawg

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Should I create a bacon only recipe thread?

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Well, I got this....

Some real-sugar vanilla Pepsi and 8yo Black Velvet I got on sale for $13 a fifth. That is terribly cheap here. =)

It was worth walking the 6 blocks in 96F heat to Rite-Aid and back. Most of that distance is pure deserted blacktop. One whole side of the "mall" is empty..nothing but a scorching hot parking lot about two blocks long. Frickin' HOT.

Too hot to cook still, but made a tasty tuna salad sammie. Lot 'o stuff in there, on sourdough hoagie with bacon ranch.

m3rma1d

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I haven't had steak pie since my mom passed. It was a staple in the house growing up. It would probably be my death row last meal.
I almost grabbed that trader Joe's one but it has mushrooms which I hate. Now I'm REALLY glad I didn't.
There weren't any mushrooms in this. I love mushrooms, it woulda been the only redeeming quality LOL

m3rma1d

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Suppah's done! Hamburger Helper "Ultimate Cheeseburger Macaroni" with peas, corn, mushrooms, French's fried onions, black pepper, and Sriracha.

tu7ujyty.jpg

#ghettogourmet

Ace

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@m3rma1d I'm way to lazy to track it down but just imagine this space being filled with that mac and cheese squares picture you posted awhile back.

m3rma1d

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
@m3rma1d I'm way to lazy to track it down but just imagine this space being filled with that mac and cheese squares picture you posted awhile back.

This was freakin' delish tho. I left out the "fuck it"

Reactions: Ace

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Made a nacho cheesy bean dip...three cheeses, refried beans, jalapeno, onion,garlic,etc.

HFl46EHl.jpg

Ace

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I haven't had much to contribute so here we go. My daughter refuses to eat any Mexican food that I don't make (kinda cool actually) so every now and then she begs for taco night. Tonight was taco night. Taco night.jpgignore the unappetizing blue plate, the x got the good stuff, and the good table.

flowerpots

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
That looks delicious, Ace. I can't seem to cook for 1, but that means I just can't seem to cook period lol

My dinner is delivery - lemon pepper wings, fries, mozzarella sticks (to appease my inner teen) and a peanut butter chocolate pie slice for desert.

Ace

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The 1st wife was mexican. The 2nd Italian. I made sure to learn all the recipes. I'm trying to figure out what type of food to learn next;)

flowerpots

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Hmm I think I'd go for Spanish or Greek next time...

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Made a funky stew yesterday. I had some potatoes that were getting old and needed using up, so this happened. :)

It's got:

• Potatoes
  • Onion
  • Garlic
  • A sliced Jalapeño
  • Smoked AK Salmon
  • Asian Frozen Veggies
  • Mae Ploy Sauce
  • A dash each of 3 Crabs fish sauce and Rice Vinegar (The salmon is so rich it takes over, so needs some balancing)
  • Saffron Flower
  • Majoram
  • About a tsp. worth of EVOO
  • about a 1/2 tsp. of chicken bouillon
  • S&P

Tasty and different! And, my learning curve on the new camera is getting a bit better...

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Gonna be almost 100 dgrees today, as in 75F by 9am. Ughhh.

So, starting off with a 32oz Quad White Chocolate Iced Mocha....

P1010641.JPG

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yesterday's stew, reborn as today's breakfast.

Just ladled out some stew, cracked a couple of eggs on it and added some oyster crackers. Covered and nuked it, breaking up the eggs as they cooked....voila...

VHyjjuDl.jpg

Eaten with flour torts, it's fun eating. ;)

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Something about nuked eggs skeeves me out

Why? Ya know, that was one of the first things cooked as they discovered microwaves. ;-)

In 1945 the specific heating effect of a high-power microwave beam was accidentally discovered by Percy Spencer, an American self-taught engineer from Howland, Maine. Employed by Raytheon at the time he noticed that microwaves from an active radar set he was working on started to melt a candy bar he had in his pocket. The first food deliberately cooked with Spencer's microwave was popcorn, and the second was an egg,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microwave_oven#Discovery

If you use the power settings, it is easy to cook eggs and not ruin them.
Japan does it all the time with an egg on top of ramen, which is what I emulated here except I scrambled them.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Went to Dollar store for a few things, may have gone overboard a tad. ;)

(click for larger version)

Some good deals, plus a few things I wanted to try for the hell of it.

I really like those "Jamaican" beef pies, packed with spices; lots of coriander and cumin. The Arizona Green Tea was a good steal, those are usually fairly pricey. The ice cream is sort of meh, but I bought it to put in iced coffee for nomz.

Me like bargains. :D

Last edited:

Frawg

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
None of us have felt like cooking much so its been protein bars and microwave food for the last several days. Tonight if I remember I'll take a pic of what's in the oven.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Found some good chicken nuggets finally. Actual chicken. :D

LbvcgJLl.jpg

QC2VpXTl.jpg

yptCdH9l.jpg

Made up a nice sauce of Homemade Hab sauce, Mae Ploy and a fave BBQ sauce.
Frakkin' white balance is still off...grrrr.

drJiKRxl.jpg

Frawg

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I just inhaled a brookie - one of those half brownie half cookie things. this came from the walmart bakery.

DO NOT EVER BUY THEM, you will eat them and get fat, leaves more for me...

Um yeah today was "just hand over the chocolate and no one gets hurt" type of day. I'll consider real food as soon, if I could figure out what we have that doesn't require I stand up for much longer to fix it.

Celtic Fog

Tir Na Nog
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Guys! I'm back! Tonight the wife and I made a chicken tortellini dish with bell pepper alfredo sauce. I pureed bell peppers into some dressed up jar sauce, diced pan seared olive oil and Italian chicken, made a garlic french loaf and that was that. Sorry for the absence. Anyone going to ASD in Vegas? View attachment 2932View attachment 2933
bro, even the boys in compton quite drinking Old E a decade ago...you got moxy my man.

Celtic Fog

Tir Na Nog
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
just spent 12 hours making Momofuku! would have taken a picture of it, but it only lasted for fifteen minutes!!! nomnomnomnom!!!!!

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
just spent 12 hours making Momofuku! would have taken a picture of it, but it only lasted for fifteen minutes!!! nomnomnomnom!!!!!

Ha, I like this guy:

"Momofuku" could be translated from Japanese as "lucky peach", though Chef David Chang has written that the name is "an indirect nod" to Momofuku Ando,[7] the Taiwanese-Japanese inventor of instant ramen. Chang also suggested it is not an accident he chose a word that sounds like the English curse word "motherfucker".[8]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Momofuku_(restaurants)

I'd love to hit up Ming Tsai's Blue Ginger for some burgers and beer. ;-)

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
BTW, I happened on 3lbs. worth of eye of round being marked down . Gonna make some Habanero Beef Jerky shortly. :D

Until then, here is the last of that brekky stuff as a burrito.

P1010699.JPG

Served up with green enchilada sauce and sour cream with liberal Black Pepper. :)

VU Sponsors