Become a Patron!

The Good Old Times

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
It's a shame everything had to change :(

I guess we'll disagree my friend.

I often see that line of thinking on the music game thread too, that the best music has all been made and it's over, that today's music sucks. It's the same petrified thinking our own parents had.

If things never changed we wouldn't have vaping, and we'd still be killing ourselves, or dead already, from nasty cigarettes. Even though big computers came out in the 1930's (?) or 40's, or earlier, I'm really not sure, if that science hadn't progressed we wouldn't have personal computers and the internet, which led to our circle of friends right here at VU. Because of pc's and internet we can get information and entertainment from almost anywhere in the world. The "information era" has made it harder for politicians to get away with lying and propagandizing us, though many sheeple have been shown the water but have refused to drink.

I can agree that some things didn't ever need to move forward. We need to back up agriculture and health care by about 100 years, to the time before the petroleum based crop chemicals and pharmaceuticals, maybe even to before petroleum based transportation. If the petro demon never moved forward we wouldn't all be living in fear at what's going on in the world today. To me that's the whole meaning of the title of your wonderful thread idea, thinking of what once seemed hard but now looks good. When you, yourself Jimi, turned neglected soil into a cherished garden where your soul lives and works, you took control of time.

If we ever realize it's up to us to direct how time rolls out, we can make the passage of time something to celebrate rather than regret. I remember hearing recently of a ring road proposal in the Canterbury district of England, where planners want to restrict automobile traffic through five adjoining neighborhoods, allowing only in/out car traffic for those who live there, otherwise only foot traffic, bicycles, golf carts, between these five neighborhoods. A ring road approach was proposed so that residents can go in and out of their own neighborhoods without driving through any of the others. People immediately had the knee-jerk reaction of griping about government interference in our lives, but I thought hold on, isn't this what we want? We pay the bureaucrats to tax us to death while making rules to make life miserable while doing nothing about poor planning, pollution, noise. My beef with the so called green new deal is that it's about restricting us and taking things away, without giving much thought to real alternative plans for more pedestrian zones, expanded green belt, alternate car traffic grid plans so that people can travel on their bicycles or kids can walk to school, moms can push prams and people can jog or walk their pets without being choked by air pollution or mowed down by 2,000 lb. petroleum powered weapons. But the Canterbury controversy was something I heard about only once on one guy's podcast, though it is real and can be looked up online. Our news organizations are not set up for any real discussion or debate. We're told what we'll have and even what we'll want, and on the whole we accept that setup.

A few years ago I read a wonderful book, "Planet Walker" by John Francis. After an oil spill off the California coast resulted in the decimation of aquatic and coastal wildlife, very visibly and horribly ugly, his heart was broken. He vowed never again to board a petroleum dependent vehicle. He began walking everywhere, even from town to town when he had to be somewhere. In his book he reminisced about visiting relatives in the country as a child, where his train was met by the relatives being visited, and all of them walked a mile to the homestead. Nobody though it was unusual or difficult.

We have adjusted our lives to convenience, not the other way around.

Oh how I'm wasting peoples time with my always excessive writing. With the progress of time, fast fingers have replaced the big mouth, but if someone is yelling on the street corner, it's harder to ignore than closing a browser window and escaping my happy fingers obnox.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Do you remember when bubble gum used to come with a comic, Bazooka I think was the main one.

The Bazooka bubblegum with comics inside each piece was either revived, or never stopped. You can still get it. I love good bubblegum. Big League Chew is too soft. Hubba Bubba has the gimmicky wasteful plastic packaging. Bubble Yum flavors are awful. I like Dubble Bubble the best. Chewing gum is better for settling an upset tummy than antacid pills. The chewing and the sugar stimulate digestion pretty quick, settling everything down.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
How many here remember Captain Kangaroo? I didn't watch it but my sister always did but I can sure remember that.

May be an image of 2 people and text that says 'October 3rd 1955 Captain Kangaroo premiered on CBS KLMO K'

Last edited:

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I guess we'll disagree my friend.

I often see that line of thinking on the music game thread too, that the best music has all been made and it's over, that today's music sucks. It's the same petrified thinking our own parents had.

If things never changed we wouldn't have vaping, and we'd still be killing ourselves, or dead already, from nasty cigarettes. Even though big computers came out in the 1930's (?) or 40's, or earlier, I'm really not sure, if that science hadn't progressed we wouldn't have personal computers and the internet, which led to our circle of friends right here at VU. Because of pc's and internet we can get information and entertainment from almost anywhere in the world. The "information era" has made it harder for politicians to get away with lying and propagandizing us, though many sheeple have been shown the water but have refused to drink.

I can agree that some things didn't ever need to move forward. We need to back up agriculture and health care by about 100 years, to the time before the petroleum based crop chemicals and pharmaceuticals, maybe even to before petroleum based transportation. If the petro demon never moved forward we wouldn't all be living in fear at what's going on in the world today. To me that's the whole meaning of the title of your wonderful thread idea, thinking of what once seemed hard but now looks good. When you, yourself Jimi, turned neglected soil into a cherished garden where your soul lives and works, you took control of time.

If we ever realize it's up to us to direct how time rolls out, we can make the passage of time something to celebrate rather than regret. I remember hearing recently of a ring road proposal in the Canterbury district of England, where planners want to restrict automobile traffic through five adjoining neighborhoods, allowing only in/out car traffic for those who live there, otherwise only foot traffic, bicycles, golf carts, between these five neighborhoods. A ring road approach was proposed so that residents can go in and out of their own neighborhoods without driving through any of the others. People immediately had the knee-jerk reaction of griping about government interference in our lives, but I thought hold on, isn't this what we want? We pay the bureaucrats to tax us to death while making rules to make life miserable while doing nothing about poor planning, pollution, noise. My beef with the so called green new deal is that it's about restricting us and taking things away, without giving much thought to real alternative plans for more pedestrian zones, expanded green belt, alternate car traffic grid plans so that people can travel on their bicycles or kids can walk to school, moms can push prams and people can jog or walk their pets without being choked by air pollution or mowed down by 2,000 lb. petroleum powered weapons. But the Canterbury controversy was something I heard about only once on one guy's podcast, though it is real and can be looked up online. Our news organizations are not set up for any real discussion or debate. We're told what we'll have and even what we'll want, and on the whole we accept that setup.

A few years ago I read a wonderful book, "Planet Walker" by John Francis. After an oil spill off the California coast resulted in the decimation of aquatic and coastal wildlife, very visibly and horribly ugly, his heart was broken. He vowed never again to board a petroleum dependent vehicle. He began walking everywhere, even from town to town when he had to be somewhere. In his book he reminisced about visiting relatives in the country as a child, where his train was met by the relatives being visited, and all of them walked a mile to the homestead. Nobody though it was unusual or difficult.

We have adjusted our lives to convenience, not the other way around.

Oh how I'm wasting peoples time with my always excessive writing. With the progress of time, fast fingers have replaced the big mouth, but if someone is yelling on the street corner, it's harder to ignore than closing a browser window and escaping my happy fingers obnox.
Yes but we also have drag queens/cross dressers, adds on TV for GAY pills/injections, ( what are they thinking all those do is dement young minds that are watching the TV. The whole mindset of some people today. Just to name a couple, if you look around you will see much more. Sorry just my feelings.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yes but we also have drag queens/cross dressers, adds on TV for GAY pills/injections, ( what are they thinking all those do is dement young minds that are watching the TV. The whole mindset of some people today. Just to name a couple, if you look around you will see much more. Sorry just my feelings.

In all the years we fiercely covered and protested female genital mutilation in some countries, we were unaware that our public school systems were steadily rolling out this trans-gendering agenda. "Gender care" surgery and puberty blocking drugs are savage forms of child abuse and mutilation.

One of the few benefits of the covid era was remote learning by online classes, during which parents were able to see what their kids were being fed. There have been teachers who tried to protest all along that children in public schools were being fed an agenda meant to break down society as we have known it. This isn't something new that just popped up randomly over the last couple of years.

I have to insert here that many gay people have been among the finest people I have ever known. I believe people should be free to be what they are, but it isn't fair to try to trans-gender children who don't even begin to understand their sexuality until their bodies begin to mature into it.

Again, we have choices to make in order to control what time does. Home schooling will be the only answer for some, which will involve sacrifices. We are used to thinking of time as happening to us, as if we are leaves on the wind, but we leave control on the table.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I have to insert here that many gay people have been among the finest people I have ever known.
Yes I agree but they don't have to put it on the TV, either of the comments I made. Kids pick up so much form TV. My point was it shouldn't be on the TV.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I can remember the first TV we got when I was a kid. We only listened to radio back before we got our first set. Black and white. I can also remember the my father had bought a tube filter that sat in front of the set on a stand, it also enlarged what you were watching, aka. big magnifying glass.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yes I agree but they don't have to put it on the TV, either of the comments I made. Kids pick up so much form TV. My point was it shouldn't be on the TV.
Okay, I'm almost afraid to ask, but are you saying you don't want to see ads for child trans-gendering products/methods, or that you don't want to see gay lives represented in TV entertainment at all, like Will & Grace or Queer Eye?

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Does anyone remember drive ins. I always thought they were great, one could sit in a lot more comfy seat and you could smoke, not that ever will smoke again or promote it but back in the day I/we all did. I can remember my mom would pop a big paper (grocery store bag) of pop corn and fill the cooler with drinks, soda for us kids and my mom and beer for my dad. I'll always remember those.
There are a couple of drive ins here in SA now. My understanding was that the multiplex indoor theatres with all the many choices were responsible basically for outmoding the drive ins, but I think the advent of home theatre with cable TV, then VHS, then DVD's, then Netflix, along with bigger and bigger home TV screens, had a strong impact on public movie consumption.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Okay, I'm almost afraid to ask, but are you saying you don't want to see ads for child trans-gendering products/methods, or that you don't want to see gay lives represented in TV entertainment at all, like Will & Grace or Queer Eye?
It's the adds in TV that bugs me, they could at least show them at a time when Most kids won't likely to be up and able to watch. I have nothing against the gay community, just don't think those adds should be on when kids are likely to watch. Again I have nothing against gay people I have always believed in live and let live but don't like that they have this on when children could be watching.

Last edited:

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
There are a couple of drive ins here in SA now. My understanding was that the multiplex indoor theatres with all the many choices were responsible basically for outmoding the drive ins, but I think the advent of home theatre with cable TV, then VHS, then DVD's, then Netflix, along with bigger and bigger home TV screens, had a strong impact on public movie consumption.
I agree. Wow there's still some some in existence.

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Oh here's another one I remember when most things were made in the USA.
And the old rotary dial phones

May be an image of phone and indoor
And they only came in black from your phone company and they were hard wired to your wall. No RJ-11 jack and you had to put in a special request from the phone company for a longer cord so you could move it around.

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Those school desks with the flip open tops we kept stuff in, and ducked under when the air raid sirens sounded, like that was a sufficient nuclear bomb shelter / tornado shelter combo. Then, the older we got, the smaller the desks got. No more room to hide, even tho we were still in the cold war and the threats were still real... except for the Cuban missile crisis thing. We spent alot of time under the desks during that time.

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
More old telephone stuff. Phone numbers were something like UN7-5309 where the letters represented the phone company central office name. Area codes the second number was always a 0 or 1.

Did anyone have a party line. I did when I lived off base when I was in the USAF (it was cheaper). You had to listen for your ring code like 2 short rings and a long ring. Also if you wanted to make a call if someone else on your party line was on a call you could hear them.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
More old telephone stuff. Phone numbers were something like UN7-5309 where the letters represented the phone company central office name. Area codes the second number was always a 0 or 1.

Did anyone have a party line. I did when I lived off base when I was in the USAF (it was cheaper). You had to listen for your ring code like 2 short rings and a long ring. Also if you wanted to make a call if someone else on your party line was on a call you could hear them.
Yes we had a party line when I was young. I can remember waiting for the other person to get through so I could make a call,
Some here might not know what a party line is and how it worked.

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Does anyone remember the old round top refrigerators? A friend of mine still has/uses one of these for his beer fridge. They run forever, quality made. Most of them fell due to the modern look, everyone wanted the modern look.
Vintage Norge Rollator Refrigerator  Borg Warner Corporation
Another reason for those going away was the latch. It couldn't be opened from the inside if a kid crawled in and the door got shut.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
How many remember the old 45rpm records? and 4/8 track tapes?
Well you know as a DJ I've seen it all, but at some point I got rid of all my vinyl because I didn't have a record player. I even saved my grandma's collection until I faced the fact I would never use them, they were taking up space, collecting dust, so I sold them to a book store so people who really collect and enjoy those could have them. There is a strong cadre of vinyl enthusiasts who believe CD sound will never equal what you got from records.

Once I had an old Victrola type thing and some cylinders that had music on them. Sold those too.

You can still get new vinyl 45 rpm that some artists like to sell at their concerts, in juicy red or marbled colors or regular black.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I can't remember exactly when suddenly everybody had cell phones, but I do remember when people didn't walk around staring at their phones, oblivious to everything around themselves.

It's hard to convey the sadness I often feel about the zombie phone people, that this world we're actually in, is of secondary importance to the world inside that little piece of equipment, as if this beautiful real world is just a distraction.

I detest cell phones. I was late to the game, never getting a cell until around 2012. It's for road emergencies, and it lives in my tote, turned off.

I guess it was the late 90's that multi-task cell phones took over, because I remember recording interviews with a little miniature cassette machine with tiny tapes in the early 90's for my various DIY radio projects.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I can remember when I was in grade school every Christmas each class would have a gift exchange, we all drew names, and there was a 50 cent limit. How many ever got this as a gift?
They still produce the Lifesavers Christmas book. I saw them at the grocery story on the Xmas aisle the other day, but it had only multiple rolls of the original 5-flavor, not the variety seen in your pic.

2WhiteWolves

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Does anyone remember the old suicide knob on the steering wheels of cars.

May be an image of text that says 'Suicide Knob...''Suicide Knob...'

Haven't seen one of these for many years
My mom has one on hers. I use to have one until I put a steering wheel cover on, unfortunately, doesn't fit over it.

! WAKE UP ! from the MEDIA SPELL !

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yes we had a party line when I was young. I can remember waiting for the other person to get through so I could make a call,
Some here might not know what a party line is and how it worked.
I remember times nobody in the house could ever use the phone, just because there was always someone on the party line. Need to make a call? Go around asking the neighbors.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Does anyone remember the TV commercial for Tareyton cigarettes, the "I'D RATHER FIGHT THAN SWITCH". The guy with the black eye. Been lookin for a pic but haven't found one yet.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
They still produce the Lifesavers Christmas book. I saw them at the grocery story on the Xmas aisle the other day, but it had only multiple rolls of the original 5-flavor, not the variety seen in your pic.
Yes the ones I was talking about was the original 5 flavors I just couldn't find a picture to put on at the time.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I miss real Christmas trees, though I'm as guilty as anybody of fakery. I don't have a vehicle of the size that would let me bring home a real tree, though I used to drive home with one sticking out comically when I had an old VW convertible. I'd always get honks and thumbs up from other drivers, smiles all around, which is what the festive season is for.

Anyway, in childhood it was always a real tree. A friend of mine still gets a real one every year, and the fragrance is incomparable. It doesn't kill a tree as some might think. Christmas trees are cut off the tops of huge tall trees, leaving the rest in situ for next time, and more healthy for the "haircut".

I use these trees made of real pine cones wired together, 36" and 24" tall, set on my grandma's 29" tall hall table I inherited. You can't see the wooden toy airplane on top of the taller one. I haven't taken a new pic in several years because this is always how I do it, first a fresh coat of balsam fir essential oil, then on with the white lights, vintage hat maker birds, nests, berries and so forth (except the owl was new from Big Lots), white fabric poinsettia from a string I took apart and wired individually. It's tempting to change the theme or the colors, but that would just be more stuff to find storage space for out of season.

HomeXmasTrees.jpg

Last edited:

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I miss real Christmas trees, though I'm as guilty as anybody of fakery. I don't have a vehicle of the size that would let me bring home a real tree, though I used to drive home with one sticking out comically when I had an old VW convertible. I'd always get honks and thumbs up from other drivers, smiles all around, which is what the festive season is for.

Anyway, in childhood it was always a real tree. A friend of mine still gets a real one every year, and the fragrance is incomparable. It doesn't kill a tree as some might think. Christmas trees are cut off the tops of huge tall trees, leaving the rest in situ for next time, and more healthy for the "haircut".

I use these trees made of natural pine cones wired together, 36" and 24" tall, set on my grandma's 29" tall hall table I inherited. You can't see the wooden toy airplane on top of the taller one. I haven't taken a new pic in several years because this is always how I do it, first a fresh coat of balsam fir essential oil, then on with the white lights, vintage hat maker birds, nests, berries and so forth (except the owl was new from Big Lots), white fabric poinsettia from a string I took apart and wired individually. It's tempting to change the theme or the colors, but that would just be more stuff to find storage space for out of season.

View attachment 199921
I like real trees too but I really like the nostalgic look you made. :)

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
How many of our fine ladies here, and they all are IMHO, remember the Easy Bake Oven. I had to ask my wife what the real name of it was :rolleyes: , my sister had one and it came with little mixes that you could actually sorta bake in it. If memory serves me right I think the heating element was just a light bulb but it somewhat worked and gave young girls a thrill to be able to make stuff.
They still sell these but they look a lot different.
Original Easy Bake Oven Lil Bratz 2004 Hasbro

VU Sponsors