Become a Patron!

The Good Old Times

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
May be an image of 8 people, people standing and text that says 'Not So Long Ago Price of a movie ticket: 46 cents. Price of fresh popcorn: 5 cents. Feeling the excitement of going with your best friends to the movies: Priceless!'

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Does anyone remember this item and what it was for?

No photo description available.
That was to put rotating colors on a silver aluminum christmas tree, making the whole tree change colors, because you're not supposed to put string lights on an aluminum tree due to electrical or fire hazard, something like that. One of my aunts had the aluminum tree and color wheel setup.

This vid shows how it works:

It's a bit over the top, "ugly christmas".

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
If you've got a nostalgic sweet-tooth:
Omygosh. That page, OldTimeCandy.com... I could spend a fortune there, and the prices are GOOD. It reminded me how gummy candies kind of exploded in the 90's. Some of those influenced vape flavors, like peach rings. I have never seen the edible paper and strawberry gel pen. I want some cookie dough bites. I want some of those clove hard candy sticks. I want some double hot chocolate peeps. I want I want I want. :cry::cry::cry: They have the balsa wood airplanes like Jimi showed. They have bazooka bubblegum. Gaaah!

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
How many remember the old cast iron spider pots, or what they were for?

901f448cf7b19ce6c5f0204f13ce5471.jpg

They still make a new version of them, but not to the same quality as the vintage ones. Just a couple years back, I got one at a yard sale, and (after cleaning and seasoning it) I sold it to an antique shop for a fair chunk of change.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
How many remember the old cast iron spider pots, or what they were for?

View attachment 200045

They still make a new version of them, but not to the same quality as the vintage ones. Just a couple years back, I got one at a yard sale, and (after cleaning and seasoning it) I sold it to an antique shop for a fair chunk of change.

As I thought I recalled, these are used over coals of open fires. They phased out, being replaced by flat bottom skillets in the 1900s as cooking stoves gained popularity.

Recall having to be a remote up until the 1980s. Got a huge black and white cathode ray tubed television when I was four. Think I was maybe six before we finally got a color television, still tubed.

Band-Aids in tins, yep.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I agree, I liked the foil pack better.
We all have our tastes, but I never cared that much for Ding Dongs. Like the Little Debbies cakes and Swiss rolls, the ding dongs seemed kind of greasy and filled with air. I preferred the cupcakes with the white squiggle on top. Was so disappointed when Hostess went out of business. I think it was bankrupcty actually, but then there were investors who liked the cupcakes as much as I did, who brought Hostess back.

I think you can still get Ding Dongs at some stores.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
We all have our tastes, but I never cared that much for Ding Dongs. Like the Little Debbies cakes and Swiss rolls, the ding dongs seemed kind of greasy and filled with air. I preferred the cupcakes with the white squiggle on top. Was so disappointed when Hostess went out of business. I think it was bankrupcty actually, but then there were investors who liked the cupcakes as much as I did, who brought Hostess back.

I think you can still get Ding Dongs at some stores.
I agree the swiss rolls and squiggiely on top cupcakes were far better but my sweet tooth useta want them all :facepalm:

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Does anyone remember the old wringer clothes washers?

I bet all our wonderful ladies here are glad to see this one change :giggle:
When I was a kid we useta run things through the wringer, they had some real power and would crush the heck outta what ever they got a hold of. If something got sucked in that you didn't want to go through it you had to quickly shut it off and split the rollers (it opened up for emergencies.​

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The commercials back then were made to be more entertaining, rather than the irritating ones these days.

Oscar Mayer did some good ones. I can still remember the jingles like "Oscar Mayer has a way with B O L O G N A" ... and "I wish I was an Oscar Mayer wiener... that's what I really want to beeeeeeee.... cause if I was an Oscar Mayer weiner, everyone would be in love with me".

I bet some of you sang those in your heads.

walton

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Reddit Exile
The Bazooka bubblegum with comics inside each piece was either revived, or never stopped. You can still get it. I love good bubblegum. Big League Chew is too soft. Hubba Bubba has the gimmicky wasteful plastic packaging. Bubble Yum flavors are awful. I like Dubble Bubble the best. Chewing gum is better for settling an upset tummy than antacid pills. The chewing and the sugar stimulate digestion pretty quick, settling everything down.
well said, i agree totally

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The commercials back then were made to be more entertaining, rather than the irritating ones these days.

Oscar Mayer did some good ones. I can still remember the jingles like "Oscar Mayer has a way with B O L O G N A" ... and "I wish I was an Oscar Mayer wiener... that's what I really want to beeeeeeee.... cause if I was an Oscar Mayer weiner, everyone would be in love with me".

I bet some of you sang those in your heads.
Sure did

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Remember back when SC Johnson was called Johnson Wax? My adoptive father used to be an accountant there until it became no longer acceptable to have martinis with colleagues during lunch breaks, and got canned back in the late 1970s.

Doomsday Vaper

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Does anyone remember the old wringer clothes washers?

I bet all our wonderful ladies here are glad to see this one change :giggle:
When I was a kid we useta run things through the wringer, they had some real power and would crush the heck outta what ever they got a hold of. If something got sucked in that you didn't want to go through it you had to quickly shut it off and split the rollers (it opened up for emergencies.​
Umm...I still have a fully operational wringer washer. Last used to wash shop rags the wife didn't want to wash in the house.

VU Sponsors