Become a Patron!

The Good Old Times

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
May be a cartoon of phone and text that says 'THATS RIGHT, DEAR, OUR ANCESTORS HAD TAILS'

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
How many of our fine ladies here, and they all are IMHO, remember the Easy Bake Oven. I had to ask my wife what the real name of it was :rolleyes: , my sister had one and it came with little mixes that you could actually sorta bake in it. If memory serves me right I think the heating element was just a light bulb but it somewhat worked and gave young girls a thrill to be able to make stuff.
They still sell these but they look a lot different.
Original Easy Bake Oven Lil Bratz 2004 Hasbro
I still seriously want a Bratz phone

Bratz phone.JPG

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Who remembers this, when I was young one of the neighbor kids had one, it did cool you off and was a fun

May be an image of text that says 'WHAM-O SPORTI Slip nSlide ITS THE COOL SPLASHING EASY FUN JUST RUN AND SLIDE A MILE! ND SICKLE WATER SUPER LONG! 20ft 6.1m) AGES 5-12 IT'S CRAZY... people scoot like seals! You glide FILM CUSHION OF WATER! Water running full length Slip Slades plastic surface. SUPER FAST WATER LIDING SURFACE! for front bock or leping ownal FOR DESTANCE BORY INCLUDES: 1 WATER SLIDE .2 ANCHORS 2 REPAIR PATCHES FOR CONFINED SPACE FOLD UNDER''WHAM-O SPORTI Slip nSlide ITS THE COOL SPLASHING EASY FUN JUST RUN AND SLIDE A MILE! ND SICKLE WATER SUPER LONG! 20ft 6.1m) AGES 5-12 IT'S CRAZY... people scoot like seals! You glide FILM CUSHION OF WATER! Water running full length Slip Slades plastic surface. SUPER FAST WATER LIDING SURFACE! for front bock or leping ownal FOR DESTANCE BORY INCLUDES: 1 WATER SLIDE .2 ANCHORS 2 REPAIR PATCHES FOR CONFINED SPACE FOLD UNDER'
They still make those, or some version thereof. I never had one, but my brothers and I wanted one.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
How many of our fine ladies here, and they all are IMHO, remember the Easy Bake Oven. I had to ask my wife what the real name of it was :rolleyes: , my sister had one and it came with little mixes that you could actually sorta bake in it. If memory serves me right I think the heating element was just a light bulb but it somewhat worked and gave young girls a thrill to be able to make stuff.
They still sell these but they look a lot different.
Original Easy Bake Oven Lil Bratz 2004 Hasbro
The wiki says it came out in 1963 and has been continuously in production, but started with two incandescent light bulbs for heat, and now uses a heating element.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
This one is more along the lines of "remember when it wasn't so".

You know how people clink their glasses together to share in a toast. Well since when do people have to touch their food together in a toast? I recently started to each my sandwich, but the other person looked at me funny. What? He touched his sandwich to mine and said "cheers". Is that ridiculous? When did that start?

Well I guess I should be glad we don't have to bump bellies before we can eat.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Who remembers jiffy pop? I can remember when this jiffy pop came out, everybody thought wow what am easy way to pop popcorn.

No photo description available.

I don't think Jiffy Pop ever left the marketplace. You can get it anywhere, but I'm sure the microwave popcorn packets are more popular now. I never make popcorn but if I did I would have kept the popcorn maker machine I inherited, which was styled to look like a movie theatre popcorn cart only smaller. I think they still make that too. I gave it away to a friend who's a popcorn fanatic.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I miss having car windows you crank open and shut by hand. Once I had an electric window fall down inside the door. It was a while back, so I don't remember how much it cost to have it fixed, but at least a couple hundred dollars, not to mention the panic of being unable to shut your window until it gets fixed. Ridiculous. Is it that hard to crank a window open by hand?

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I miss having car windows you crank open and shut by hand. Once I had an electric window fall down inside the door. It was a while back, so I don't remember how much it cost to have it fixed, but at least a couple hundred dollars, not to mention the panic of being unable to shut your window until it gets fixed. Ridiculous. Is it that hard to crank a window open by hand?
Ummm... my 1997 pickup truck has hand crank windows, and there is no remote for unlocking the doors either. But... do you remember the little triangle windows on the doors you could flip to allow air in without rolling the windows down?

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Ummm... my 1997 pickup truck has hand crank windows, and there is no remote for unlocking the doors either. But... do you remember the little triangle windows on the doors you could flip to allow air in without rolling the windows down?
I do remember the little separate windows on the doors. Nice for smokers 🚬 As a nonsmoker I don't miss the little extra window, but I'm resentful of the wastefulness of electric windows. When I bought my current car in 2016 there was no option to have non-electric windows or manual key entry.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
We did that. Every Sunday we switched. Our house w/dad. We always made ice cream in this, same color and all:
1670320075267.png

Granny always had her delicious fried chicken. I have the hammered aluminum deep skillet she used, and the dining table we sat at when I was knee high. Then we'd play marbles:
1670320277618.png
Aunt/uncle always had BBQ on the grill.

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
We did that. Every Sunday we switched. Our house w/dad. We always made ice cream in this, same color and all:
View attachment 199975

Granny always had her delicious fried chicken. I have the hammered aluminum deep skillet she used, and the dining table we sat at when I was knee high. Then we'd play marbles:
View attachment 199976
Aunt/uncle always had BBQ on the grill.
Ah... Chinese Checkers. I remember playing that game.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I will never buy a vehicle with electric windows again. I have all kinds of headaches with them.
But on a lighter note, I really miss that little wing window that all cars useta have, why oh why did they ever get rid of those :facepalm:

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yes I loved those, :giggle:and just posted about them:facepalm:. I shoulda read down further but didn't want my Alzheimer's to let me forget what I was gonna post, happens a lot to me anymore:(:gaah:

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Does anyone remember the Munsters TV show?
Reboot of ‘The Munsters’ in the Works at NBC | Tell-Tale TV
I remember back in the day when this first aired, also Adams family TV show started about the same time. When I was a kid I was glued to the TV when that came on.:giggle:

They had the Addams Family on the reruns channel for a while. Very cool show, IMO. Even the opening theme showed their pet lion roaming into the parlour. Gomez' passion for Morticia, the weird kids. The humor was kind of low key. Loved it.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
As a boy I recall S&H Green Stamps, wax lips, Candy cigarettes, vent windows (those triangles in the front of the car window), roll up car windows by crank. Can also recall a time when my grandmother never locked her doors. Asked her about it once when we left from her place to go visiting. "Somebody might need to borrow something," she said, as if my needing told was silly.

Remember helping grandfathers with various kinds of work. Seemed they all took to playing "work the boy to death". One time I hopped out of a pickup going 30 mph / 48.28 kph to go wrangle in some wayward cattle. Got told to tuck and roll to avoid getting hurt, for the most part that helped. The grass pasture broke my fall too. Then, up and running like a bolt to try beating the Collie dog that had jumped off the back.

Recall being threatened to have been beaten to my death at five years old as well. The new dad, my stepfather, had told me before he went out long haul driving for a week to pull weeds out of the garden. Having no clue, I pulled up potato plants along with weeds. He flew into a cursing rage. His dad, though, stopped him. "Did you show the boy the difference? No? Well I ought to beat you all over three counties then instead of you threatening him."

Can remember when a couple dollars could fill a car's fuel tank. Also look back remembering when teachers in schools taught us respect, civility, integrity, honesty, even manners. Now teachers in public schools are naught more than glorified babysitters guiding children to screen time, television, or computers.

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Back in the day, it was no big deal if kids brought a Swiss army knife to school. It was a tool, not a weapon. When they decided to ban anything with a blade, I would apply several layers of nail hardener, and sharpen my nails. Only once did I have to use them. The message was loud and clear after that student had to have his arm stitched up at the hospital. The Swiss army knife would have done less damage.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Back in the day, it was no big deal if kids brought a Swiss army knife to school. It was a tool, not a weapon. When they decided to ban anything with a blade, I would apply several layers of nail hardener, and sharpen my nails. Only once did I have to use them. The message was loud and clear after that student had to have his arm stitched up at the hospital. The Swiss army knife would have done less damage.

Used to have the guys drive in their pickups. At deer season, and even during regular time, they kept unloaded guns in back window racks. They would set the trucks right on high school lots, lock them up. No one ever thought, "oh my Billy is going to be an active shooter."

We also carried pocket knives. The girls used to carry deadly seam rippers, shears, aresol hair spray, lighters. We got more in trouble for eating rubber cement.

And yes, the principals did make it routine to check the lots. If they saw a gun with a closed action, they pulled the guy and asked him to explain or face expulsion. It was fine though if gun actions were left open in plain sight to see they were unloaded. They never worried over the semi-auto pistols under seats.

Nobody worried over guns in those days. Everybody had been or was taught morality, ethics from youth onward, though. We need Mr. Rogers back, and he needs to be elected as our benevolent global leader.

Last edited:

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Used to have the guys drive in their pickups. At deer season, and even during regular time, they kept unloaded guns in back window racks. They would set the trucks right on high school lots, lock them up. No one ever thought, "oh my Billy is going to be an active shooter."

We also carried pocket knives. The girls used to carry deadly seam rippers, shears, aresol hair spray, lighters. We got more in trouble for eating rubber cement.

And yes, the principals did make it routine to check the lots. If they saw a gun with a closed action, they pulled the guy and asked him to explain or face expulsion. It was fine though if gun actions were left open in plain sight to see they were unloaded. They never worried over the semi-auto pistols under seats.

Nobody worried over guns in those days. Everybody had been or was taught morality, ethics from youth onward, though. We need Mr. Rogers back, and he needs to be elected as our benevolent global leader.
Of course, that was back when "the nuclear family" and "the church" were seen as essential. Those are tossed out the window by "the cancel culture".

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I can remember when people used to (in the snowy states) change to snow tires and put chains on their tires every winter (chains tore up the roads and the tires)

May be an image of ‎text that says '‎WHO REMEMBERS WHEN PEOPLE PUT CHAINS ON THEIR TIRES'AT יTรR FERTY WINTER. TIME? com‎'‎'‎WHO REMEMBERS WHEN PEOPLE PUT CHAINS ON THEIR TIRES'AT יTรR FERTY WINTER. TIME? com‎'‎
I even remember going to the neighbor's houses with a shovel, and shoveling their walks and driveways for a quarter. That was alot of money for a kid back then. It wasn't until I was in my teens that folks used snowblowers to take those jobs away from the kids.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I even remember going to the neighbor's houses with a shovel, and shoveling their walks and driveways for a quarter. That was alot of money for a kid back then. It wasn't until I was in my teens that folks used snowblowers to take those jobs away from the kids.
I remember that too, These days kids don't care too cause their parents will just give them money they don't have to earn it :mad: :gaah:

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I remember all this stuff. Oh... and don't forget all the dangerous toys we had (yard darts, resin "knocker balls" and the original super ball) Of course we made our home-made toys too... much more dangerous. Anyway, a fond memory: behind the old piggly wiggly market they had a large fenced in area where they put cardboard boxes (piled up high) Of course there was no lock so we jumped around in it (the original "bounce house")
Yes... penny candy (and a few 2 for a penny) 5 cent candy bars (broke my heart when "bit o honey" was the first to jump all the way up to 10 cents)
Anyone remember nap time in kindergarten... you rolled out your small rug and took a short nap (that would never work now... kids are too hyper)

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I can remember the tradition of goin around singin Christmas carols. When I young it was a big thing and you would have a couple groups come by to sing. I was part of one of those groups. It was a completely different time where one didn't have to worry so much about safety and every house we sang at always invited us in for cookie or hot chocolate.
Now that's pretty much unheard of. :(

Freyja

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Who remembers these

May be an image of text that says 'WHO REMEMBERS EATING THIS CANDY?''WHO REMEMBERS EATING THIS CANDY?'

Manufacturing did a lot with was for the candy market. I remember wax teeth, mustache, lips all made from wax most had no taste but just intrigued kids into buying them
Who remembers these

No photo description available.

I used to love these when I was a kid
If you've got a nostalgic sweet-tooth:

misswish

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I remember putting on heavy pants under my dresses in the winter to walk to school. We had to go to the restroom to take them off before we could go to the classroom, no pants allowed for the girls! They finally changed the dress code to allow slacks only the year after I graduated.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I remember putting on heavy pants under my dresses in the winter to walk to school. We had to go to the restroom to take them off before we could go to the classroom, no pants allowed for the girls! They finally changed the dress code to allow slacks only the year after I graduated.
That's the way it was when I was in school, girls had to wear a dress or skirt, no pants allowed in the classrooms. Thank you for that memory

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
If you've got a nostalgic sweet-tooth:
From that page you linked, these are so beautiful. I never see them in stores, but I've bought them from catalogs before, for gifts. I try not to sit eating hard candy and rotting my teeth, but they do have interesting flavors, like clove, cinnamon, orange.

1670541870735.png

VU Sponsors