Become a Patron!

The official VAPE MAIL!!!!!!! thread #2

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The biggest problem with the NC2-D(x) is battery orientation. If the board is set to series, STILL INSTALL THE BATTERIES IN PARALLEL! There is a wire that runs down the side of the mod (internally) that completes the circuit.

Even I initially shit the bed on that one. Granted the chip wouldn't allow the unit to turn on. The instructions were pretty vague at best. Just talked about the flippable board. Not battery orientation. It wasn't until I turned a flashlight on and shined it down the body of the device did I notice the two red + symbols painted on the sled.
ROADSIDE still has all the colors, but I don't know if the NSY code will get it for 2 bucks still.

They're not high end or anything ,but the Fat Daddy parts are worth the low price imho. The magnetic switch is smoother.

I just can't get myself interested in the NC V2. I have nothing against it in particular, it just doesn't draw me.

As long as it's taken as the poor man's series box that it is, the OG is great. I really love that stupid thing :D

Last edited:

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Although it's not crunchy now I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that I dismantled the button greased it up and put it back together but after a while it'll get crunchy again.
I've been playing around with the og switch some more and I do see it getting sticky. It's the button. The exact same design made out of solid teflon would totally prevent sticking, but we're never going to see one.

EDIT: If I mount it back in the tube that came with the FD kit, it barely sticks at all. Just pushing it in my fingers must be forcing it crooked or something.

Last edited:

casketweaver

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I've been playing around with the og switch some more and I do see it getting sticky. It's the button. The exact same design made out of solid teflon would totally prevent sticking, but we're never going to see one.
The only solution I found was to petroleum jelly the inside of the switch and anywhere contact was made inside the housing.

Granted, after substantial use, the button would 'hang' or feel crunchy and / or sticky

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The only solution I found was to petroleum jelly the inside of the switch and anywhere contact was made inside the housing.

Granted, after substantial use, the button would 'hang' or feel crunchy and / or sticky

I'm betting it's those little wavy teeth that the button uses to turn the switch.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
That I was in the middle of. At least for awhile. How well I remember the late 90s/early 2000s when the Athlons, especially when they went from slot to socket, shocked everybody by dethroning chipzilla for a few years there. Or when 3Dfx and their Voodoo cards were the thing (though Nividia was on the rise) and then went bankrupt overnight leaving Nivida and their Geforce cards to stomp all over ATI, (and their very bad drivers at the time) until the Radeon 9700 Pro, which made my hair stand on end when I got one. 180 fps on the Q3A bench at max settings :D Those were the days LOL!
Athlons never dethroned anything really... they sucked at being OC'd, and games worth talking about were optimized such a way that they all ran faster on the Asus + Intel + Riva. By the mid 2000s all the nabbers were still raving on about AMD because they never had a clue about the OC potential of the Prescott family of single core CPU's from Intel. As for the Radeon 9700 Pro, the minimum fps was still a LOT lower than Nvidia so, for online multiplayer (mostly first person shooters), Nvidia was typically always the better choice... even, on those rare occasions when the AMD drivers were NOT bugged.

Don29palms

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Unlisted Vendor
Athlons never dethroned anything really... they sucked at being OC'd, and games worth talking about were optimized such a way that they all ran faster on the Asus + Intel + Riva. By the mid 2000s all the nabbers were still raving on about AMD because they never had a clue about the OC potential of the Prescott family of single core CPU's from Intel. As for the Radeon 9700 Pro, the minimum fps was still a LOT lower than Nvidia so, for online multiplayer (mostly first person shooters), Nvidia was typically always the better choice... even, on those rare occasions when the AMD drivers were NOT bugged.
Who let you out of your cage Hermi the troll?

Jinx'd

Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
no vape mail today, or who knows when. usps, idk wth is up with them. 1 week ago, something from cali. today, it looks like it is still in cali.

casketweaver

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I'm betting it's those little wavy teeth that the button uses to turn the switch.
It might very well be. The issue is - upon inspection, I don't see any damage to the delrin button. So at this point, who knows?

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
no vape mail today, or who knows when. usps, idk wth is up with them. 1 week ago, something from cali. today, it looks like it is still in cali.
Same with me man. I gotta call them today about one that was delivered elsewhere yesterday. And they delivered one but not the other

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Now jist a minute here bub. :rolleyes: This is not a computer forum and I'm not going to get into a long discussion about all this, but with that era of performance computing I KNOW what I am talkin about.

AMD and ATI had not merged yet and at that time Abit motherboards were the best and most popular among enthusiasts. They pioneered the soft bios where you could change the multiplier and the bus speeds in the bios without having to move jumpers on the board itself. Later this expanded to memory timings and susbsystem voltage settings etc. Asus were and are great boards, but Abit ruled that day.

The last really great overclocking Intel processors before AMD released the Athlon architecture were the Celeron 300a and Pentium III 500e.. AMD based platforms were universally preferred among serious overclockers for the next 2 years. It wasn't even close. The thoroughbred and Spitfire core socket 462 processors, especially if you got your hands on the right batch and revision (which I did :D ) and if you unlocked the L1 multiplier bridges (which I also did :D ) and even MORE especially if you modded the Abit voltage regulators (which I also did :D ) ate Intel's lunch in the overclocking department until the release of the P4 1.6a in 2002, which was actually a Northwood core processor. Prescott came later.

AMD's Athlon XP-M 2500+ was an absolute monster of an overclocker. Even with the locked multiplier, due to it's ability to withstand voltages well above it's mobile application spec. As long as you managed the heat which was always the issue with AMD at the time. They would eat themselves in seconds if you didn't KEEP THEM COOL.

Also yes, ATI had horrible drivers and Nividia's driver crew worked directly with ID software and their Quake 3 engine guys to optimize their drivers for Q3 based games especially, though the Unreal engine was big too. However, the Radeon 9700 Pro did unseat Nvidia's best Geforce cards (The Riva TNT cards were much earlier) for a couple generations. I thought it was a huge mistake when ATI (still independent of AMD) started using the .net programming framework as the platform for their drivers and that idiotic CCC package. While probably smart commercially, it flew in the face of the speed stripping minimalist philosophy of serious do it yourselfers everywhere, including me. They could have at least offered a traditional driver pack as well. (though that would have probably been more work)

Life changed and I got outta the game shortly after that. I simply did not have the money for those expensive parts anymore. I haven't followed really closely since.

I'm not trying to give you a hard time and we're talking about 20 years ago, but you got a couple things wrong there. That doesn't make you a dummy, it just means you got a couple things wrong. Everybody does sometimes, including myself. :)

Last edited:

casketweaver

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Now jist a minute here bub. :rolleyes: This is not a computer forum and I'm not going to get into a long discussion about all this, but with that era of performance computing I KNOW what I am talkin about.

AMD and ATI had not merged yet and at that time Abit motherboards were the best and most popular among enthusiasts. They pioneered the soft bios where you could change the multiplier and the bus speeds in the bios without having to move jumpers on the board itself. Later this expanded to memory timings and susbsystem voltage settings etc. Asus were and are great boards, but Abit ruled that day.

The last really great overclocking Intel processors before AMD released the Athlon architecture were the Celeron 300a and Pentium III 500e.. AMD based platforms were universally preferred among serious overclockers for the next 2 years. It wasn't even close. The thoroughbred and Spitfire core socket 462 processors, especially if you got your hands on the right batch and revision (which I did :D ) and if you unlocked the L1 multiplier bridges (which I also did :D ) and even MORE especially if you modded the Abit voltage regulators (which I also did :D ) ate Intel's lunch in the overclocking department until the release of the P4 1.6a in 2002, which was actually a Northwood core processor. Prescott came later.

AMD's Athlon XP-M 2500+ was an absolute monster of an overclocker. Even with the locked multiplier, due it's ability to withstand voltages well above it's mobile application spec. As long as you managed the heat which was always the issue with AMD at the time. They would eat themselves in seconds if you didn't KEEP THEM COOL.

Also yes, ATI had horrible drivers and Nividia's driver crew worked directly with ID software and their Quake 3 engine guys to optimize their drivers for Q3 based games especially, though the Unreal engine was big too. However, the Radeon 9700 Pro did unseat Nvidia's best Geforce cards (The Riva TNT cards were much earlier) for a couple generations. I thought it was a huge mistake when ATI (still independent of AMD) started using the .net programming framework as the platform for their drivers and that idiotic CCC package. While probably smart commercially, it flew in the face of the speed stripping minimalist philosophy of serious do it yourselfers everywhere, including me. They could have at least offered a traditional driver pack as well. (though that would have probably been more work)

Life changed and I got outta the game shortly after that. I simply did not have the money for those expensive parts anymore. I haven't followed really closely since.

I'm not trying to give you a hard time and we're talking about 20 years ago, but you got a couple things wrong there. That doesn't make you a dummy, it just means you got a couple things wrong. Everybody does sometimes, including myself. :)
You're talking to a guy that thinks he knows what he's talking about. I'd pay him little attention.

I however know about the ATI Radeon 9500, 9700, and 9800 pro line of graphics cards. And how do I know about them so well? Because they were based off of the ATI r300 GPU. AND If you used the right software you could take a Radeon 9500 and basically get 9700 performance out of it. Granted that required you to do some clocking but it was the same chip on the same board with the same memory and memory bandwidth. The Radeon 9800 pro didn't come into my computer until right before I switched over to Nvidia. And when I did switch to Nvidia I was much happier. It just seemed to perform better it had smoother frame rates across the board yeah...

But that's been years ago. I think that was shortly before the PCI Express lane was even a thing. We were still running off of AGP 8X.

And DDR4 what the f*** was that? I think we were between DDR and DDR2.

casketweaver

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
It's been so long.

If I can remember right the build was 2 gigabytes of DDR, an Intel Pentium 4 socket 478, an ATI Radeon 9500 pro, a 500 watt power supply by some off brand, with an ASUS board and I don't even remember what the chipset was in it...

Yeah it's been a while. I had started getting the itch to build one when I found out that half life 2 and Doom 3 we're coming out. I wanted to be able to play those games Max you know at least 60 frames per second. I want to say I'm probably had a hundred gigabyte hard drive in there. Running Windows XP. It's been some years ago. But I was also stationed in the heart of technology itself Japan. So getting parts there were cheap You could literally go down the store and buy all the computer parts you wanted and it would be pennies on the dollar.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You're talking to a guy that thinks he knows what he's talking about. I'd pay him little attention.
I think he can be better than he shows us sometimes. I've seen him try.
I however know about the ATI Radeon 9500, 9700, and 9800 pro line of graphics cards. And how do I know about them so well? Because they were based off of the ATI r300 GPU. AND If you used the right software you could take a Radeon 9500 and basically get 9700 performance out of it. Granted that required you to do some clocking but it was the same chip on the same board with the same memory and memory bandwidth. The Radeon 9800 pro didn't come into my computer until right before I switched over to Nvidia. And when I did switch to Nvidia I was much happier. It just seemed to perform better it had smoother frame rates across the board yeah...
But that's been years ago. I think that was shortly before the PCI Express lane was even a thing. We were still running off of AGP 8X.
And DDR4 what the f*** was that? I think we were between DDR and DDR2.
i never had a Geforce 256. Which was Nividia's first gpu after the Riva/TNT days. I did have a few Geforce 2s and 3s though. From Asus actually :D They were mind bogglingly awesome for that day.

My first real ATI contender was the 9700 Pro, which the 9_00 series cards were next level then. Nividia, never a company to sit still, clawed their way back over ATI, as you say, by the time PCI express was standard. They did make some outrageous claims there a couple times though. Like saying that their Geforce processors were on par with Apple's computers that were used to make Toy story 2. Apple pretty much embarrassed them over that.

ATI made some good cards after that with the X series, but they were always nipping at the heels of Nvidia never able to overtake them again. Like I say, it's been a long time since I followed all this.

Yeah the first system memory I ever bought was16 megs in a pair of 8 meg 72 pin simms when they had to be installed in matching pairs :D DDR was a breakthrough (though not as much faster as they claimed) and as you'll remember, was available on video cards first.

I still fix computers for a living (if you want to call it that LOL! ), but don't keep up with all the industry details like I once did. Enough to be good at the job.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
a 500 watt power supply by some off
Ohhh now you gotta know better than that :D Back then I used PC Power and Cooling power supplies. This was before Corsair and the other outfits started making good PSUs for high performance computers. I paid 200 bucks for my first 425 watt PCPAC unit, but they were in a class by themselves. Never skimp on your power supply. (a good natured half kidding jab of course)
Yeah it's been a while. I had started getting the itch to build one when I found out that half life 2 and Doom 3 we're coming out.
I built my first one when the original Half Life was out. My first real gaming/benchmark PC when the Q3A and Unreal Tournament 99 demos were being released.
Running Windows XP
I ran Windows 98 until the 2nd service pack for Windows 2000 was released and then ran 2000 until 2004. It was faster and more stable for overclocking than XP for a while there. I could strip it back to 16 running processes. The family machines went to XP a lot sooner. Windows 10 is a bloated bogged down convenience festival. It drives me nuts. 7 was fine. Heck, I woulda stayed with 2000 forever if the devs would have kept writing software for it, which of course is never going to happen.
But I was also stationed in the heart of technology itself Japan. So getting parts there were cheap You could literally go down the store and buy all the computer parts you wanted and it would be pennies on the dollar.
THAT would be awesome. I did a lot of buying at computer shows they used to have here where you could get stuff much cheaper even than online. In the early days you could build a machine 3 times as fast for half the money of an OEM. That's changed drastically. Except maybe at the very high end.

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Some juice from cheap ejuice. Com and the vapesnail for the Billet that was delivered somewhere yesterday. Woo-hoo.. EDIT: the strawberry shortcake is f'n delicious. The banana split tastes pretty damn good too. But the shortcake is literally spot on.
5c1bb6617c0e5bc842b10c21fb3183d1.jpg

Last edited:

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Ohhh now you gotta know better than that :D Back then I used PC Power and Cooling power supplies. This was before Corsair and the other outfits started making good PSUs for high performance computers. I paid 200 bucks for my first 425 watt PCPAC unit, but they were in a class by themselves. Never skimp on your power supply. (a good natured half kidding jab of course)

I built my first one when the original Half Life was out. My first real gaming/benchmark PC when the Q3A and Unreal Tournament 99 demos were being released.

I ran Windows 98 until the 2nd service pack for Windows 2000 was released and then ran 2000 until 2004. It was faster and more stable for overclocking than XP for a while there. I could strip it back to 16 running processes. The family machines went to XP a lot sooner. Windows 10 is a bloated bogged down convenience festival. It drives me nuts. 7 was fine. Heck, I woulda stayed with 2000 forever if the devs would have kept writing software for it, which of course is never going to happen.

THAT would be awesome. I did a lot of buying at computer shows they used to have here where you could get stuff much cheaper even than online. In the early days you could build a machine 3 times as fast for half the money of an OEM. That's changed drastically. Except maybe at the very high end.

Can't contribute much to this conversation, but just this in regard to technology pricing.

My company bought its first IBM PC (an XT with two 5.25" floppy drives and I believe a 10Mb hard disk) somewhere around 1983, to the tune of $5,495.00.

Just think of what you could put together for that money today.

ETA: Second thoughts on the hard disk. I don't believe the XT had them - not until the AT came out. So probably no mass storage at all.

casketweaver

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Can't contribute much to this conversation, but just this in regard to technology pricing.

My company bought its first IBM PC (an XT with two 5.25" floppy drives and I believe a 10Mb hard disk) somewhere around 1983, to the tune of $5,495.00.

ETA: Second thoughts on the hard disk. I don't believe the XT had them - not until the AT came out. So probably no mass storage at all.
With 5400 bucks? I could build a bleeding edge system (when I say bleeding edge, I mean, fresh off the drawing board bleeding edge) at least once over. 1200 of that would go directly into a custom water loop for sure.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Wow, that would have been what? Like a 286 I think? Had the "turbo" switch that would boost the clockspeed like 4mhz. From like 12 - 16 :D My wife brought one home one time from a friend, neither of them knowing what it was. Only that it was a computer nobody used any more.
Yep. You could build 2 totally killer machines for that today. Or 4 perfectly decent ones, each of which would be dozens of times faster than the XT.
I don't remember offhand when fixed disk drives became common, but I had an old one from Connor that was I think 100 megabytes and would have cost several hundred dollars when new.

Actually at one time I had a practical museum of IBM compatible hardware I accumulated from customers and garbage picking.

Tornadoalleydeb

Vaping whilst slaying dragons in the land of Tyria
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I got such a wonderful Mother's Day gift today from my girls. But I do know they had a little help in picking the right thing, so thank you, whomever you are. It's not easy these days finding something that I not only love, but that I am able to press the fire button easily. This meets both!

This is perfect for me and I love it. What a beautiful mod and the quality is amazing. I also want to thank Matt over at Florida Vaper Supply for getting the package together so nicely for me. :)

IMG_20200507_135910925.jpg IMG_20200507_135849265.jpg IMG_20200507_142401063_BURST001.jpg shirt1.png shirt2.png

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I got such a wonderful Mother's Day gift today from my girls. But I do know they had a little help in picking the right thing, so thank you, whomever you are. It's not easy these days finding something that I not only love, but that I am able to press the fire button easily. This meets both!

This is perfect for me and I love it. What a beautiful mod and the quality is amazing. I also want to thank Matt over at Florida Vaper Supply for getting the package together so nicely for me. :)

View attachment 160435 View attachment 160436 View attachment 160437 View attachment 160438 View attachment 160439
How cool is that? You have awesome kids. Mine don't even remember my bday. Lol

Tornadoalleydeb

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
and omg breazy wont ship to Nevada anymore :(

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
IBM XT's came with 8088 processors. I'm not sure if you could get a hard drive or not from IBM. I had a clone that I added a 32 meg Seagate RLL drive. Man I had all kinds of storage. The AT came with the 80286 and I'm sure a hard drive.

Edit: the XT came with a hard drive, the original PC didn't.

Back on topic, I got my crickets today! Pretty fast shipping from Roadside. The Fat Daddy switches and rockers come in tomorrow.
Noisy-Crickets.jpg

Last edited:

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years

View attachment 160435 View attachment 160436 View attachment 160437 View attachment 160438 View attachment 160439
Awesome!! I got the email today from them advertising that mod :) You've got new stuff to play with for a good while now :) Cool shirt too.

~Don~

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Nice!

You can run the coils I sent you with no issues on that mod, since it’s parallel...

Just please please make sure the orientation of the batteries is in the right way, and use the 30Ts I sent ya

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I I got my crickets today! Pretty fast shipping from Roadside. The Fat Daddy switches and rockers come in tomorrow.
Noisy-Crickets.jpg
Fast and cheap shipping.

The Fat Daddy parts are better for sure. Especially the switch which is smoother. The rocker contacts are designed to act as a fuse I think. I don't think they actually perform any better. I polished mine up when I got em.

I found that the 510 top cap is handy if you run across an atty where the whole 510 is too short to reach the battery in the hybrid top cap. Or actually my battery wraps were preventing the battery from going far enough into the cap. The positive pin on the atty wasn't reaching the battery contact. The Fat Daddy cap overcame that easily.

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
my lil NC came in... now to find my Goon 22... might put my SMPL switch on the NC... but... have to find that dang thing too... I bet the Goon 22 is on the SMPL and in a box with some squonk stuff in storage LOL
The smpl switch will work on the NC? That's pretty cool. Not something I'd have ever thought of

Tornadoalleydeb

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Didn't they move to Vegas last year from NY. How the fuck do you not ship to the state you're in.
Beats the hell out of me. I was not even aware of any ban for gear in Nevada. Fine by me if they don't want my money. Not like I need the thing. I thought it looked kind of cool, but I have so many squonk mods as it is.

Tornadoalleydeb

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Nice!

You can run the coils I sent you with no issues on that mod, since it’s parallel...

Just please please make sure the orientation of the batteries is in the right way, and use the 30Ts I sent ya

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well I have them both positive up

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
my lil NC came in... now to find my Goon 22... might put my SMPL switch on the NC... but... have to find that dang thing too... I bet the Goon 22 is on the SMPL and in a box with some squonk stuff in storage LOL
I'm going to put my brass 22 on the copper I have coming. Seriously, for 5 and a half bucks shipped, if they keep having this sale every so often, I may collect all the colors :D

gadget!

"The Trader"
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
VU Patreon
Not that I think it matters... BUT!

and I don't own the mod... BUT!

View attachment 160443

;)
I'd do it their way since maybe they designed the contacts to be better that way, but as you know, electronically, as long as they're both pointed in the same direction it won't be unsafe. Like on the DS they want you to do it positive up.
The venting on that mod is the battery caps, that's why they recommend them that way.

Sent from a Galaxy far far away

Tornadoalleydeb

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
If I didn't despise AREliquid so much I would get a brass uni also but they won't ever see another dime from me lol

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

AMD's Athlon XP-M 2500+ was an absolute monster of an overclocker. Even with the locked multiplier, due to it's ability to withstand voltages well above it's mobile application spec. As long as you managed the heat which was always the issue with AMD at the time. They would eat themselves in seconds if you didn't KEEP THEM COOL.

If you're not going into a long discussion about this on a forum that isn't a computer forum, then why the fuck are you going into a long discussion about this on a forum that isn't a computer forum?

That said, I was referring to real world performance in actual online multiplayer first person shooters so please read my post before hitting the reply button, and, the reason why Athlons have always sucked at being OC'd is because, even with the fanciest schmanciest custom loop water cooling system that money could buy, their OC stability was always degrading so predictably fast that the claim they were OC monsters was laughable at best... it also is why "nabbers" is the right choice of word. Finally, I've explained the importance of minimum fps vs average fps elsewhere on the forum some time ago, in the appropriate subforum so not going to repeat it here. Nabber. :)

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If you're not going into a long discussion about this on a forum that isn't a computer forum, then why the fuck are you going into a long discussion about this on a forum that isn't a computer forum?
Touche.

VU Sponsors