Become a Patron!

DisasterousDan

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hey guys

Im new to the rda and coil building thing and don't know how long coils are supposed to last. Are you meant to use a coil until it burns out on its own and then change it? Or is there a point where they just become less effective? This is my first build and I've been using it for about 2 weeks and feel that it's not heating up as quick as it did when I first built it. Is this normal? And would i be better just making new coils and putting them in?
image.jpg

Light seeker

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I rewick every 3-4 days with a dry burn to clean the coils, recoil about every 2 weeks. Not that I need a new coil, just want to try something different like size, spacing, metal, etc. Ive had coils last months, they work fine, but yes their performance seems to gradually decrease.

Sent with Tapatalk

DED420

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
There's alot of variables to this:
  1. Type of Coils
  2. Type of Wire
  3. Type of Juices being used
  4. Wattage being used
  5. Frequency of Use
  6. Frequency of Cleaning and Re-Wicking
Examples:
  1. Clapton Coils will gunk up faster than simple Micro Coils
  2. SS wire has a longer life span than Ti/Ni, and generally even Kanthal
  3. Sweetener heavy juices will gunk up coils faster
  4. High Wattages can (not always) deteriorate coils faster
  5. Chain vaping will wear out coils faster than moderate vaping
  6. Cleaning the coils and re-wicking every few days can prolong coil life

So there's really no definitive answer to your question. Sometimes I rebuild every few days, sometimes once a week, sometimes only once or twice a month, there's just too many variables to say. But if you're finding the coils aren't performing as well as they used to even after a cleaning, that's usually a sign it's about time to change them.

Last edited:

Vapomizer

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hey guys

Im new to the rda and coil building thing and don't know how long coils are supposed to last. Are you meant to use a coil until it burns out on its own and then change it? Or is there a point where they just become less effective? This is my first build and I've been using it for about 2 weeks and feel that it's not heating up as quick as it did when I first built it. Is this normal? And would i be better just making new coils and putting them in?
View attachment 42744
it is normal for a coil that has been used for that long to be weak and take time to heat up because after 3 days to one week of use your coils gunk up, because some of the liquid gets cooked and become stuck to the coil working as an insulator between your coils and your cotton and you have to remove that gunk and replace your cotton to restore performance, you do not really have to change your coils themselves often if the build is working good for you, coils can last for months given that you clean them often, only cotton is what needs to be changed every few days to maintain optimal performance.

Here is how to dry burn your coils to remove that gunk and restore them to the original condition

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Those coils don't need replaced yet. Dry burn, make sure the post screws are still tight (they can loosen slightly over time), and rewick. Should be like new.

Your coils and wicking look really good. Nice job. Much better than most first builds. Hell, that looks better than some people's 50th build. And welcome to the forum.

DisasterousDan

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks for all the help guys really appreciate it. @BoomStick thanks i watched a lot of youtube videos before i even attempted to wrap them. I ended up using a 3mm screwdriver and i was really happy with them.

vap3r

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I change them when resistance starts to creep upwards even though the post screws are torqued down.

VU Sponsors