nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I have been enjoying my morning coffee in the backyard lately listening to the birds and feeding them.

View attachment 183243

You have made a very wonderful little spot there, Steve.

I have started working with my front door open so I can hear the birds better, at least until later in the day when the sun gets too hot. They have become so much more vocal since people have settled down some. It is just amazing to me how much I hear them, and how many different kinds of birds I hear these days.

The deer and rabbits have ventured out, too. Very often my husband sees them in our back yard, nibbling on grass and clover. I had not seen a rabbit in years before this. They do seem to like it when things are wet outside, like when the dew is still on the grass in the morning, or after a rain shower.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
So I spent the last 2 days fixing Mom's Old Wooden Reindeer. Had to buy wooden dowel and drill out the old broken ones for the legs and make a new ear because one was missing. Fixed and glued the tail back and made 2 Antlers out of some branch I found.

1624036982819.png

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Dude.. it's hot as ballllz out there. That's all I can say. Hit fricken 112F here, was like 106 or 107 yesterday. And it's sooo humid. Like trying to breathe in a sweaty armpit. Was a good chance of rain tomorrow, that's now been pushed back til monday. Been trying to dig out the ground for the pavers for the bbq and get it leveled up, prepped for sand. But there's only so much digging this chonky boy can do in this sauna.

1624051213873.png

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Dude.. it's hot as ballllz out there. That's all I can say. Hit fricken 112F here, was like 106 or 107 yesterday. And it's sooo humid. Like trying to breathe in a sweaty armpit. Was a good chance of rain tomorrow, that's now been pushed back til monday. Been trying to dig out the ground for the pavers for the bbq and get it leveled up, prepped for sand. But there's only so much digging this chonky boy can do in this sauna.

View attachment 183260

Where in heaven's name do you live? That's like Mississippi or Louisiana weather, or maybe southern Florida. Where the pavement will burn your feet right through your shoes if the soles on your shoes aren't pretty thick.

2WhiteWolves

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Hey @SteveS45 , you're missing something in your bird sanctuary. When you gonna start feeding the hummingbirds?
The recipe is easy...Four cups Water bring to boil add One cup Sugar, stir till sugar melts and boil for another min or two. Store the rest in the refrigerator. But, find an easy to clean feeder.

! WAKE UP ! from the MEDIA SPELL !

2WhiteWolves

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
05cc164aa4fa9fb76319841212d6209b.jpg

feb9aa371a4c5653a14e6776e61a3d7a.jpg

3eaa3c4fa021a1c339931b9416ba0cc1.jpg

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Where in heaven's name do you live? That's like Mississippi or Louisiana weather, or maybe southern Florida. Where the pavement will burn your feet right through your shoes if the soles on your shoes aren't pretty thick.
Misery lol. Not Mississippi, but not too far from its namesake river. I swear it's got the worst of the seasons. California had no real seasons (not in the bay area at least). It was tepid. Sure 80's, maybe 90's in the summer, 40's and 50's in winter. Overcast a lot. Then there was central Az, hot as hell. Hit 118F in the shade but it was a dry heat. Drier anyway. Winters were chilly, in the 20's and 30's, sometimes would dip into the teens. A light dusting of snow once in awhile that would quickly fade. Warm monsoons that would dry out in an hour.

Then the worst of both. Already had one freak day this year, seems like back in April when it hit 100F. Pretty sure that was before the bottom fell out and it snowed like 4-5". Spring was nice for like 2-3 weeks. The past week it's been just ridiculous, heat index of 105, 104, 112. And humidity on top of it. Though it's been worse, a lot of times it'll push high 90's and like 70-85% humidity. In winter not a ton of snow here, enough to gather on the ground. Usually a week or two of nasty cold where we don't see freezing for a high those couple of weeks. Few years ago during the polar vortex windchill had it down below -20F. Like if it's going to be as cold as Chicago or Minneapolis, then it shouldn't be allowed to get as hot as Phoenix or Tuscon in the same year, that's all I'm sayin'. lol.

I'm out here tryin to grow some veggies, dragging a sheet out cause of snow and ice in spring. A week and a half later I'm dragging a sheet back out trying to save the plants from baking. Going to end up with vine ripened roasted peppers and sun dried tomatoes.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Hey @SteveS45 , you're missing something in your bird sanctuary. When you gonna start feeding the hummingbirds?
The recipe is easy...Four cups Water bring to boil add One cup Sugar, stir till sugar melts and boil for another min or two. Store the rest in the refrigerator. But, find an easy to clean feeder.

It's more like a Playground for them. They run around and climb on the rocks.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
It rained last night or this morning so I waited to cut the lawns. Mistake~! It was so humid at 10AM I was dying and sweating like a pig~! Do pigs actually sweat?

1624118996906.png

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
It rained last night or this morning so I waited to cut the lawns. Mistake~! It was so humid at 10AM I was dying and sweating like a pig~! Do pigs actually sweat?

View attachment 183278

'bout the same in our part of WV. 70 F here currently, light drizzle 100& humid.

Got a call yesterday to work from 22nd to 29th. First day I go for an orientation/training. I'll earn a nice sum for the week's work. :)

The funny part? When I was called it was to substitute. They cannot get anyone that wants to work.

I find it hilarious really as it pays over $15 hourly. Bottom line proof people simply do not want to work. And the work I do isn't terrible, or too hard to do. Oh well, ...

2WhiteWolves

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
They cannot get anyone that wants to work.
I find it hilarious really as it pays over $15 hourly. Bottom line proof people simply do not want to work.
In NY, 'they' want to give 1,500$ a month to the young people that are homeless. It's a new "study" to see how it goes. If successful they will continue to give free money away.
The young people may do whatever they like with the money...no accountability.
How about giving it to the homeless Veterans !
@SteveS45 , have you heard of this? I heard it on NTD news

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
In NY, 'they' want to give 1,500$ a month to the young people that are homeless. It's a new "study" to see how it goes. If successful they will continue to give free money away.

I was in a restaurant in the Salt Lake City airport yesterday between flights. I was talking to my waitress about getting a host/hostess to guide people to open tables. She said they cannot find enough people to work there so they are short staffed. All because of the extra money they are giving out to the "unemployed".

2WhiteWolves

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I was in a restaurant in the Salt Lake City airport yesterday between flights. I was talking to my waitress about getting a host/hostess to guide people to open tables. She said they cannot find enough people to work there so they are short staffed. All because of the extra money they are giving out to the "unemployed".

Yup ! It's crazy ! :crazy:
And, those who do want to work...
My brother, who is a good hard working man, put in his application for a job a month ago, if not longer. Even though, they need workers, they took their sweet ass time to hire him. He just started last Thursday. :gaah:

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Misery lol. Not Mississippi, but not too far from its namesake river. I swear it's got the worst of the seasons. California had no real seasons (not in the bay area at least). It was tepid. Sure 80's, maybe 90's in the summer, 40's and 50's in winter. Overcast a lot. Then there was central Az, hot as hell. Hit 118F in the shade but it was a dry heat. Drier anyway. Winters were chilly, in the 20's and 30's, sometimes would dip into the teens. A light dusting of snow once in awhile that would quickly fade. Warm monsoons that would dry out in an hour.

Then the worst of both. Already had one freak day this year, seems like back in April when it hit 100F. Pretty sure that was before the bottom fell out and it snowed like 4-5". Spring was nice for like 2-3 weeks. The past week it's been just ridiculous, heat index of 105, 104, 112. And humidity on top of it. Though it's been worse, a lot of times it'll push high 90's and like 70-85% humidity. In winter not a ton of snow here, enough to gather on the ground. Usually a week or two of nasty cold where we don't see freezing for a high those couple of weeks. Few years ago during the polar vortex windchill had it down below -20F. Like if it's going to be as cold as Chicago or Minneapolis, then it shouldn't be allowed to get as hot as Phoenix or Tuscon in the same year, that's all I'm sayin'. lol.

I'm out here tryin to grow some veggies, dragging a sheet out cause of snow and ice in spring. A week and a half later I'm dragging a sheet back out trying to save the plants from baking. Going to end up with vine ripened roasted peppers and sun dried tomatoes.

My daughter and most of her kids are in Tucson now, been there for a couple weeks and will be heading back East in a few days. When they first got there, my daughter said the worst thing was trying to BREATHE. She said that hot air just attacks your lungs when you try to breathe. It's been a real experience for them; none of them had ever been west of the Mississippi River before, so they've had some new experiences all right. They are getting used to it now, and have figured out that the swimming pool is where they want to be!

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Was over 90°F here today and even though my plan was to sit on my ass with the fan blowing on me in the backyard I was looking at the neighbors freaking dirty vinyl fence and had to wash it~! I found car wash soap works great on those fences.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

So I looked it up and there are only 2 Species on Long Island of Hummingbirds. They do not usually come into areas like mine according to Google. Plus I don't need another chore setting up a feeder for them~! LMFAO

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
We do have some beautiful nature in the front yard of my building. The back is mainly the parking garage, but my landlady did plant some knockout roses back there a few years ago, and they are rioting this year. But the front yard is where the bird choir practices and the squirrel circus performs. I take it in from my living room windows, because this is outside my front door, so if I sit outside and vape, I have to be nice to the other people coming and going from the building.

19Jun21 front cp crop.jpg

Last edited:

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My daughter and most of her kids are in Tucson now, been there for a couple weeks and will be heading back East in a few days. When they first got there, my daughter said the worst thing was trying to BREATHE. She said that hot air just attacks your lungs when you try to breathe. It's been a real experience for them; none of them had ever been west of the Mississippi River before, so they've had some new experiences all right. They are getting used to it now, and have figured out that the swimming pool is where they want to be!
It's definitely a dry heat though. Dated a girl in my late teens (18/19) and she lived out of state in Michigan. Flew her out and her plane landed at sky harbor in Phoenix. She'd asked what it was like, I told her high desert. All she heard was 'desert' so she was planning on face wraps, goggles. Like not where the pyramids are. lol. She was complaining how hot it was, said she'd been outside. She hadn't been outside, there's a two part entry to the airport. She'd been into the foyer area. Go in, get her bags, head out the door and it was around 115 that day I think. She's like what the fuck is this?! Wasn't quite as hot in central az, hot enough though.

I know after being in misery a little while I flew back to az for my best friend's wedding. The change in humidity made a ring I was wearing too loose, had to drop it from my ring finger to my little finger to keep it from falling off. A couple days after I got back had to switch the ring back, was too tight to fit my pinky with the increased humidity. Was a bit surprised, I guess bodies swell up like a sponge when it's wet out. Some places in the middle of nowhere in az you look out and it's just desert for as far as you can see. Bad place to get stuck (or break down on the side of the road).

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Another hot day today though cooled off some from the previous couple days. Worked on the patio area some more, trying to get it level and pitched slightly. Pain in the ass with a flat shovel, may as well be using a teaspoon. Went to check the garden and if it keeps up like this I may as well pull everything up. Not gonna bust my ass to have it all die. Lettuce is wilted, tomatoes look half dead, peas died, fava beans look like shit and never really produced. Not worth fucking with for a few jalapenos and zucchini, I can buy those cheaper than the seeds and materials and shit cost. The weather sucks this year.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

All this money they are givin away is gonna haveta be paid back by tax payers as it is all borrowed money to start with, even printing money w/o gold to back it is crazy it will eventually deflate the dollar

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Thank you, That's exactly why

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Father's day is a bit of a weird day for me. On one hand, I don't care to even acknowledge my biological, or step father. On the other hand, I'll never know what it is for a human child to call me daddy.

Critters don't comprehend days such as holidays. All they know is they love you all the time. I adopt critter kids and so am glad of their loving. It's really nice but I'm sure it wouldn't/doesn't compare to a human kid.

Well anyhow, ... as I said, just me. & @SteveS45 , you may want to try going out and setting on the porch by him in "his" spot. Often find myself "meeting up with" the wife's granddad up at the barn. He keeps busy "piddlin".

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
@SteveS45 The first Father's Day after you Dad passes is the toughest. It gets less painful as the years pass, but you will always have him in your heart.

My daughter and son-in-law will be coming over to our house today with my grandson. It will be his first time "swimming" in our pool. My son-in-law was a lifeguard so he knows what to do with the baby and water.

VU Sponsors