Become a Patron!

Vaping on the Front or back Porch

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Lately I've been taking 3 to 4 trips per month. I have 1K status (highest tier) with United, Platinum with Delta, and will probably hit Gold with American as well. I prefer to fly with United as I'm just 60K miles short of having a million miles with them. I got a surprise yesterday on my flight home on United, the Pilot and First Officer gave me a birthday card. I did not see that coming.
Wow you've done some flying! The Pilots giving you a Birthday card, sounds like you are part of the furniture there for sure.
tenor (1).gif

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Almost got the gravel packed in place. Bit of a rain delay. So far looks good, some water pooling at the downhill edges but not much to do about it. At least no puddles in the middle. The slope's working, I assume it'll work better with pavers over top shedding water in 12" spans.

Dicked up a bit, needed a piece of landscape timber 22" long so cut it off the piece in front of the steps. Had to slide it away from the house a bit to compensate and wasn't thinking. Where I planned to put 6x 12" blocks only 5 or so will fit but leaving a gap of like 8-9". Fook. So change of plans, gonna grab some 4x8 bricks and lay them in the gap sort of separating the bricks in front of the stairs and the ones along the walkway. Sometimes gotta just roll with it. lol.

A bit too much gravel, so far have removed a 4gal bucket and part of a 5gal bucket. Rather have too much than too little though.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Yesterday evening I helped FIL put in a little laminate tongue and groove hardwood flooring. Then, slid his cook stove over onto it. Asked if he wanted it leveled out. He said no, it could be got later.

No, I'm not totally useless. :)

Sometime during the day her BIL had taken a six foot long black snake out of the FIL's house. I thought the FIL had taken it out. Asked him if he had grabbed it behind its head to carry it out. He admitted the her BIL killed it. Damn shame. :(

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
12c45d19f4164e4529e5e9b318e74e9d.gif

@gopher_byrd

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
So just got back from 12 O'clock Mass with Mom. My sisters friend paid for it to be said in my Sisters and Fathers Memories. We have a New Pastor and I am sorry to see the young one go because he said my Sisters Mass outside the Church during the early stages of the Pandemic and also came to the Funeral Parlor for my Father and said such lovely things. Going to miss you Father Scalara~!

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Here's a few pic's from my garden

Onions are starting to bulb, these are from the seeds I started and posted a pic here earlier this year, where's @DaBunny
20210627_153818.jpg
20210627_153827.jpg

Brocolli is starting to make heads
20210627_154343.jpg

20210627_154106.jpg
My tomatoes have lots of almost full sized green tomatoes and potatoes are doin great. Soon as the onions are done, aprox. 5 or 6 weeks I'll till that area and lima beans will go in there and potatoes will be ready to dig in aprox6 to 8 weeks and green beans can follow them.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Awe sorry, next year grow them from seed, they are so simple to grow that way
Yeah when I was grttin my bean seed I seen what the garden suppliers had here and it was the same way they weren't worth the money
Thank you, not my best attempt but it feeds me :giggle:
Mine could sure use a good weeding:(

DaBunny

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Father's Day with the family. This was the first time in the pool for my grandson. He likes the water but not the sun.

HE is really as jimi an i would say GROWING LIKE A WEED der grandpa gopher...

Awe sorry, next year grow them from seed, they are so simple to grow that way
Yeah when I was grttin my bean seed I seen what the garden suppliers had here and it was the same way they weren't worth the money
Thank you, not my best attempt but it feeds me :giggle:
Mine could sure use a good weeding:(
and i did pick up the

AILSA CRAIG ONION​

Rating:
96% of100
Long day. Very well-known globe-shaped heirloom onion that reaches a really huge size—5 lbs is rather common! The skin is a pale yellow and the flesh is relatively mild and sweet, so is recommended for fresh use—not a storage type. Introduced in 1887 by David Murray, gardener for the Marquis of Ailsa, at Culzean Castle in Maybole, South Ayrshire, Scotland.

was to late in the season to try yet maybe next year

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
HE is really as jimi an i would say GROWING LIKE A WEED der grandpa gopher...

and i did pick up the

AILSA CRAIG ONION​

Rating:
96% of100
Long day. Very well-known globe-shaped heirloom onion that reaches a really huge size—5 lbs is rather common! The skin is a pale yellow and the flesh is relatively mild and sweet, so is recommended for fresh use—not a storage type. Introduced in 1887 by David Murray, gardener for the Marquis of Ailsa, at Culzean Castle in Maybole, South Ayrshire, Scotland.

was to late in the season to try yet maybe next year
I love Ailsa Craigs, too bad they don't store well they are very delicious :)

DaBunny

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
I put in 750 plants every year, that's a lot of onion rings, wish I could still eat them
an my neighborhood think am a bit excessive when it comes to growing veggies...

750 geezzzzzzzzzz data a lot of hilling
next year i do want you to call me out { like ya did today }
an we do this together
cuz i would really enjoy learning the trick of da onion from seed.

Last edited:

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
an my neighborhood think am a bit excessive when it comes to growing veggies...

750 geezzzzzzzzzz data a lot of hilling
next year i do want you to call me out { like ya did today }
an we do this together
cuz i would really enjoy learning the trick of da onion from seed.
Sure I would be glad too, I try to start my seeds in January, this year it didn't happen till mid Febuary, seed company that I order from didn't send them till then

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@Jimi Your garden looks great. My lettuce is starting to bolt. Sadly the garden's taken a back seat to other stuff I've been trying to get done. Been fighting the weather, between ridiculous heat and now daily torrential rain. Oof. And stuff is getting at my garden. After the first couple rounds of strawberries things were going pretty good. Then got NOTHING. Something snatching all my strawberries, lil bastards. lol. Picked up some fine plastic mesh and some stakes so hopefully can fence the berries off. Got stakes for my peppers that are starting to fall over. Something's been digging around my corn causing stalks to fall over.

The animals have gone nuts this year. Something's not only stealing the strawberries, but swiping blackberries too. Found part of an unripe one in the middle of the drive about 50ft from the berry bush. The raccoons have been terrorizing the bird feeders, when it's not them it's the squirrels. And the squirrels are digging up the flowers too. Have tried hot pepper flakes in the bird feeders, a little sriracha sauce (that just made a mess). All of mother nature seems to be going apeshit this year for some reason. Have heard similar from friends with veggies gardens in other states as well how the squirrels are going nuts attacking their crops. Putting up reflective streamers, scarecrows and everything else.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I put the sprinklers on in the front but there is like no water pressure this morning~! Going to have to put on on the end of the hose to get near the street on the apron.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
@Jimi Your garden looks great. My lettuce is starting to bolt. Sadly the garden's taken a back seat to other stuff I've been trying to get done. Been fighting the weather, between ridiculous heat and now daily torrential rain. Oof. And stuff is getting at my garden. After the first couple rounds of strawberries things were going pretty good. Then got NOTHING. Something snatching all my strawberries, lil bastards. lol. Picked up some fine plastic mesh and some stakes so hopefully can fence the berries off. Got stakes for my peppers that are starting to fall over. Something's been digging around my corn causing stalks to fall over.

The animals have gone nuts this year. Something's not only stealing the strawberries, but swiping blackberries too. Found part of an unripe one in the middle of the drive about 50ft from the berry bush. The raccoons have been terrorizing the bird feeders, when it's not them it's the squirrels. And the squirrels are digging up the flowers too. Have tried hot pepper flakes in the bird feeders, a little sriracha sauce (that just made a mess). All of mother nature seems to be going apeshit this year for some reason. Have heard similar from friends with veggies gardens in other states as well how the squirrels are going nuts attacking their crops. Putting up reflective streamers, scarecrows and everything else.

I planted 2 packages of seeds for Cucumbers and something ate the plants as they started growing. Right now I have 5 but not looking promising. I planted Red Swish Chard and at first that was doing nice now it is all eaten. Tomatoes are starting to get fruit but plants are only like a foot or a foot and a half tall~! Never saw tomatoes grow on such short plants.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Putting up reflective streamers, scarecrows and everything else.

Get one of those plastic owls with reflective glass eyes. Set it atop a post about the center of a garden. No more smaller pests save for some bugs/worms. Really nice if you can figure a way to let it rotate so as to keep stuff off balance.

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I got one of them plastic owls with a head that rotates. It didn't keep anything away. We still had rodents raid the garden we tried in vain to grow. The mice here have got some balls, I tell ya. The only thing that keeps them under control is the neighborhood cats, snakes, and our dogs... and the poison I put in our attic.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I believe what ate the Cucumber Plants was Squirrels. Found holes dug in the garden that were too small to be a cat. Now I chase the squirrels and the Ferrel Cats I got to stay away by scaring them and using the hose. I love cats but when these Ferrel Cats started doing damage they were done.

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I planted 2 packages of seeds for Cucumbers and something ate the plants as they started growing. Right now I have 5 but not looking promising. I planted Red Swish Chard and at first that was doing nice now it is all eaten. Tomatoes are starting to get fruit but plants are only like a foot or a foot and a half tall~! Never saw tomatoes grow on such short plants.
I'll have to look at the tags to see which ones they are, it's not the big boys.. Something else I planted that appear really stunted this year. I was pruning them to be single stem, they're indeterminate. I checked and it doesn't appear I cut the main stem or anything. It's like it sort of just disappeared. At the top they bend over like a branch and the stem's nowhere to be seen. Another weird issue I spotted on two of them I've never seen happen on my tomatoes before. On 2 of the stunted ones they started to fork which is normal. But then they grew back together. There's a bulge with a hole I can see through in the middle of the stem about 2/3 to 3/4 of the way up.

1624904183829.png

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

The animals have gone crazy this year, well it started last year. every year we have a ground hog that helps himself to our garden, hog is the right word for them too. Squirls are such accrobats they can get into just about anything. the tree rats are fun tio watch sometimes, they are always walking the power lines here.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Sounds like you have a lot of rabbits in the neighborhood. Too bad they ate your chard, not many eat chard anymore, used to be very popular compared to today. You might need some rabbit fence.
We have ground hog here that thinks we planted our tomatoes just for him, same with the zukes and cukes. :facepalm:

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I got one of them plastic owls with a head that rotates. It didn't keep anything away. We still had rodents raid the garden we tried in vain to grow. The mice here have got some balls, I tell ya. The only thing that keeps them under control is the neighborhood cats, snakes, and our dogs... and the poison I put in our attic.
My neighbor has a plastic owl and the critters just ignore it too, at first they were afraid but then got used to it and figured it out.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
@Synphul check this out how Roma Tomatoes already on these tiny plants~!

View attachment 183634
Those plants are doin that cause they were started very early, when you bought them did they have flowers or small bud sets? In the plants lifecycle it so many days from germination till bud set.

For anyone who wants to learn more about gardening I have posted several series on gardening in my health thread.
There's sorta one on now but I haven't had time to watch it yet, here it is if you wanna check it out but here it is
It’s called The Need To GROW, and if you care about the future of life on Earth, this is an absolute MUST WATCH!

>> GO HERE TO WATCH THIS HEARTWARMING FILM FOR F.REE.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Those plants are doin that cause they were started very early, when you bought them did they have flowers or small bud sets? In the plants lifecycle it so many days from germination till bud set.

For anyone who wants to learn more about gardening I have posted several series on gardening in my health thread.
There's sorta one on now but I haven't had time to watch it yet, here it is if you wanna check it out but here it is
It’s called The Need To GROW, and if you care about the future of life on Earth, this is an absolute MUST WATCH!

>> GO HERE TO WATCH THIS HEARTWARMING FILM FOR F.REE.

No, they had no flowers when I bought them. I blame the crazy growing on the Pandemic. If I get as many tomatoes as flowers I will be happy~! I have some Cherry 100 bushes with 10-12 per section~! Waiting to see some Early Girl, Better Boy and Beef Master Tomatoes start to grow.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Digging that Blues Hog Charcoal I bought yesterday~! Bought 2 more 20 Pounders today~!

1624920134829.png

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
I think all those deterrent things are a waste of money. Good in theory but useless.
We were told yrs ago to get rubber snakes and put them in the trees and on the ground near them to stop the birds. They couldn't have cared less about them.
And speaking of snakes I was shown a picture by a guy who got the electronic solar snake deterrents. It was a snake sunbaking right next to one of them.
In Western Aus at their major football oval they got big eagle replica type things to keep the seagulls away as they get there in the hundreds at times causing disruption. The seagulls act as if they dont exist. The other week the camera zoomed in and showed dozens flying around right near one with some sitting not far from it. :giggle:

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I think all those deterrent things are a waste of money. Good in theory but useless.
We were told yrs ago to get rubber snakes and put them in the trees and on the ground near them to stop the birds. They couldn't have cared less about them.
And speaking of snakes I was shown a picture by a guy who got the electronic solar snake deterrents. It was a snake sunbaking right next to one of them.
In Western Aus at their major football oval they got big eagle replica type things to keep the seagulls away as they get there in the hundreds at times causing disruption. The seagulls act as if they dont exist. The other week the camera zoomed in and showed dozens flying around right near one with some sitting not far from it. :giggle:
As George Carlin once said: as long as selling crap is profitable, they will continue selling crap. The only thing that will stop rodents, is something that actually kills the rodents. Our dogs will go after anything from the size of a mouse to the size of a jackrabbit. The yorkie will go after humans and bite their ankles too, even those are not rodents.

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think the more stunted plants of mine are the early girls. Idk, I noticed the worst looking one out there today had vertical splits up the stem around 6-8" long exposing the inside of the stem. The plant was tough and leathery feeling, dark green. Just didn't look right. So I plucked it. The fava beans were funky and the peas never really got a chance to make before the ridiculous heat, so out they came. The radishes that bolted got pitched.

Staked up my peppers, rearranged the cucumbers to help them climb the trellis. Thinned the zucchini leaves. Trimmed up the stems of the pepper plants. Pulled some weeds. The lettuce and kale pretty much bolted I think, the lettuce is getting bitter and the kale was like shoe leather so out it came.

Got a half bucket of sand today to hopefully finish the patio area with if I can just get a rain break. The guy loaded me up pretty good. I think he felt bad because I had to wait like 20-30min for him to charge his battery and get his loader running.

Finally getting some stuff out of the garden though besides a few strawberries and lettuce. Got around 3/4lb of good sized jalapenos, 8 cucumbers and a zucchini that grew ridiculous big. Garden's been a bit neglected with other stuff going on and the crap weather. It was 85F out there with 80% humidity an hour or two ago. Like wallowing around in satan's armpit. Bleh.

VU Sponsors