Become a Patron!

Vaping on the Front or back Porch

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I tell you wot.

Wot!

So, I have decided out of considering wife needs to be getting to work by 7, I'm not taking the morning shift work. There's two good reasons for that. Her work and my self respect.

Yesterday one of the principles tried cutting me down. I explained I could not arrange transportation for a 6 AM shift, "So what you're telling me is you don't want to do the work? Is that what I'm hearing?"

"No, mam but *sigh*"

So, they swapped my shift out with a lady who does the evening shift. She's going to run the "lighter" day shift for the week.This kind of made her happy. I couldn't tell her if that's what they had done.

I got busy yesterday and missed two call out calls. I was too busy to answer and fiddle with the crap. They got me around 9:30 pm though. So yes, accepted the 1 to 9 pm shift the rest of the week.

Now, if they want to put me full time that's different. Full time can be there by 7. Plus it's a set schedule. As is I'm just a "as needed" case. Wife said it seems of late they need me all the time. I replied they ought to "get wise" to that and give me full time regardless but we all know that won't be.

All the "new" substitute custodians they hired the start of this school year quit. The excuses range from too hard to too much work. And it really isn't once you start understanding it, not too much, nor too hard. If it is it's because we can't keep a decent team. The true reasoning I'm seeing is the stupid coming from the "boss" level and people acting pricks.

The pricks just want to play "games" with the new people. There's no need at all. It's the dead ended of all dead end jobs. worst case you're promoted from custodian 3 to 4. And all 4's do any differently is handle cleaning inventory and get to be the sore toe if their particular school is dirty. They may make a buck or two more hourly but really it's not worth the promotion.

So people won't stay due to pricks. I'm trying to build out the Rat Pack, a damn good crew. It'll take a bit though. Got to weed out the pricks. The oldest custodian I'm friends with up at one of the high schools calls me "Boss". Two or three others were there, a sub and two full timers, they all agreed.

They felt me being an hour ahead at another school. They got that way at their school. Ra-- told them it was because the "Boss" was on call. Somebody ask if he was the Boss, he said no that was me. And that isn't something I strove to do. It is something which come organically. I don't take it light.

People like Ra-- don't "just say" stuff like that. So you don't waste the good. At the same time the good has to be careful of the bad, move when it can, as it can. Don't give the pricks an excuse to win.

Good morning Wazoos!

THANK YOU, Neil Pert.

Last edited:

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

Ah, and i've got something else figured out too. Smile and "yes, sir/mam" and go on about the work. Don't worry about 'em. They might always be there to whine, to get in the way. But you can always not let 'em too. What they gonna do get you fired for doing your work? If they think so it's handy to say, "hey, here you go you can do my job too if you want." Watch how quick the song changes, with just a smile. :)

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
So my Metal Detector is out for delivery and expected between12:30 and 3:30. Nope they changed that to now 1:00 to 4:00

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
t4O1vJt.jpg

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
So power restored before 10:30 and wondered why my circuit breaker tripped for my office and found the Oil Burner wasn't working. Called and setup a Service Call and sitting here I said let me check my A/C. Picked up the remote and turned A/C on and I here the oil Burner Click~! WTF? Now it is running~! Not canceling the call though.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
PSEG is driving around the neighborhood like they can't find it?
When we had a freak ice storm here years ago. The electric company brought in contractor linemen from NJ. Me and her granddad tried to explain the deer trail which led to the pole they needed to get to.

We explained if they went off to one direction they would end up lost. Been so many years now, ain't ever seen tell of them since. They talked as though they knew the area, knew right where to go.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
When we had a freak ice storm here years ago. The electric company brought in contractor linemen from NJ. Me and her granddad tried to explain the deer trail which led to the pole they needed to get to.

We explained if they went off to one direction they would end up lost. Been so many years now, ain't ever seen tell of them since. They talked as though they knew the area, knew right where to go.
I assume they were driving around checking other Transformers because they went up in the bucket down the block in the middle of the street. Seeing all the poles are in back or between the backyards he couldn't reach anything from there.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I assume they were driving around checking other Transformers because they went up in the bucket down the block in the middle of the street. Seeing all the poles are in back or between the backyards he couldn't reach anything from there.

They probably saw "nothing looked wrong".

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
They probably saw "nothing looked wrong".
Nah, power came back over an hour earlier than predicted. But that was this mornings aggravation~! It got fucking worse as this day went on. But Villa Armando and White Claw Surges make you forget~!

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Today was just a day for me. Nick named another Custodian Karen. She openly admitted to being OCD. Today when I go in, "I know you use disinfectant with your rags and the bucket. I still feel it's a chance for cross contamination in wiping down toilet seats. Please use a single paper wypall for each toilet."

Me & FIL discussed just that the day before. We both worked food service. we both knew such issue of cross contamination is ruled so minuscule that the health department doesn't bother. If you're using bleach water, disinfectant to wipe clean. They don't press.

It's a moot point anyway. Our schools are as clean, or cleaner than our hospitals around here. The hospitals got rampant Mercer (MCR) tearing through them. That only comes from being poorly cleaned. What kids have got Covid in schools are from kids coming from outside of schools, not following procedure. It's not from the schools themselves.

Would I say our schools are immaculate? I will say they are within maybe two to four hair breadths of that if not. Our custodial crew gives a shit. We got a couple nearly pristine new schools and some classic older schools that are pristine because we keep them so. For this custodian to suggest I'm doing something so far out of whack is pure silly.

Did it her way tonight though. It cost me an extra ten minutes. Nope, not going to do it. It wastes my time and the resources of the paper wypalls. A good clean old t-shirt rag and disinfectant suit fine. I use one rag for toilets and another drawn in different disinfectant water for the water fountains and touch spots. Rags can go in a quick laundry load after a use or few. Saves money on wypalls too.

So yes, she wanted to make an issue out of a non-issue. Then she followed me around the first part of my shift, looking over my shoulder. Guess she was trying to see how I got stuff done so quick. She ran out about a half hour early. Told my wife I scared her because I work.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
All the talk about transformers and power outages has made me a little nostalgic.

When we lived in a lake house down near Savannah, when my two youngest kids were still in their teens, my youngest daughter (about 15 at the time) had a few girls her age over to spend the night. They were upstairs shut up in her bedroom, of course, which was on the front of the house, and they weren't too noisy, They were just doing what teenage girls do, which is mostly talking and giggling, and occasionally raiding the fridge. It was raining to beat the band outside and we could hear thunder getting closer all the time.

Next thing we know we hear a loud CRACK POW and the girls all started screaming, and the power went off. Hubbs and I take off running up the stairs, girls in nothing but underwear and t-shirts come piling out of daughter's bedroom, pointing toward the front of the house and FREAKING ABSOLUTELY OUT!

Turns out that lightning struck a transformer that was on a utility pole RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE HOUSE. It was a good 200 feet from the house, so no risk to the house, but the transformer was flaming and smoking up the yard.

I though, my god, it had to happen tonight! Couldn't be when just the family were there and could deal with it without the hysterics of four teenaged girls. And of course there was my then-17-year-old son getting what he could of an eyeful of all these half-dressed girls, so it was just as well that the power was out.

I miss my kids being young and fun and around all the time. Back then they were sometimes (or often) pains in the ass, but now, I don't know what I'd give to have a few of those days back. Sweet, sweet memories.

I seem to remember that Georgia Power had the transformer replaced and the power back on by the next afternoon. Nobody but me had a nervous breakdown. :)

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon

Looks like you're getting just a little bit of autumn already. Our Tulip Poplars are shedding yellow leaves all over the place down here. I haven't noticed any of the other trees changing yet - but the poplars are always first.

Looks very nice, though, your little sanctuary there.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Looks like you're getting just a little bit of autumn already. Our Tulip Poplars are shedding yellow leaves all over the place down here. I haven't noticed any of the other trees changing yet - but the poplars are always first.

Looks very nice, though, your little sanctuary there.
The Red Maple has been Green most of the Summer and so is my neighbors?

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Our Tulip Poplars are shedding yellow leaves all over the place down here. I haven't noticed any of the other trees changing yet - but the poplars are always first.

Those and some of the sycamore have started changing up this way. Starting to get chills in the air too. 'Spect to soon see our bear come to nestle down in his cave across the creek.

At the school I was at last night, watched deer out the window of the teacher's lounge. Finished my work at 10 til 7, sat and waited until 8:30 to go home. The deer seem keen to the area around the school, appreciate the manicured feeding ground.

Caught myself slightly dozing off a couple times. No one else was there, no one cared. Still I didn't want to "sleep on the job". Though having done my work and only been there to "be there", not sure it mattered. *chuckles*

Last edited:

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Having a triple German chocolate cake style muffin this morning. Might go fix a cuppa in a bit. Want to say this is why I love living in the country.

We think nothing of "crying babies on darkened mountainsides" and "screaming ladies in the bottoms of a night". We know them to be bobcats and foxes respectively. We're used to bears coming in near yet at a safe distance, compromising with humans for a good hibernation spot.

In the country doors are left unlocked for the most part. Everyone knows justice is flying lead, which cannot be argued against. You were in the wrong to even warrant said lead flying at you.

People in the country aren't quick to open fire yet if you're a scoundrel coming in to their home they won't hesitate. It's common country sense, you wait to be invited in. If asked to leave you go right away and don't ask for invitation for at least a month.

We enjoy when domestic cats as strays adopt us, and then adopt racoon, opossum, wayward chicken as barn mates. We love just being outside to be outside, can curl up in the grass with our dog/s and nap in the sun. There's no need of clocks, calendars, Nature keeps her own time and we can know it just as we read clocks.

No need hurrying the work either. What's left after finished today will be there t'mary. Though some like me still cruise in "git er done" gear. No one complains though. The work is just that, work. It doesn't matter what it is, work is work. We do it and then go enjoy our fun.

Sit and watch deer out windows. Go out in the wood stalking deer, turkey, stumble on a stihl and hear a click. Set with an old timer, sip his shine and offer your view of it, ask three steps and promise to forget. You walk away glad to not hear any more clicks. Don't ever look at faces.

Yeah, all these and more are why I love country living.

Last edited:

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Sun 03 Oct 2021 09:08:46 AM EDT -- Well maybe no cuppa this morning. Got too late a start I reckon. Her BIL is out "lording" in the kitchen. I just don't bother as that might require talking to him. Bad enough he breathes my air. Yes, I've tried "getting along". Never works out. Not always my fault.

Did go out, enjoyed seeing Maow. :) We sat listening to and looking for the turkeys across the way. Played with him some and nuzzled. Here in a bit wife will be up, we'll go do laundry, a little shopping.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

Think we had one, or similar here in the room. It got rather gunky quick though. There just really wasn't space either. I know you'd think there would be but no, not really.

Besides a person likes getting coffee from the kitchen. Also the big IF being we "lived here too" and were actually welcomed, there wouldn't be an issue.

The mini-maker we had had to sit beside her printer on a tiny little cart. Our space heater sits atop the printer.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Think we had one, or similar here in the room. It got rather gunky quick though. There just really wasn't space either. I know you'd think there would be but no, not really.

If possible you could use it outside as long as you have electric.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
If possible you could use it outside as long as you have electric.
LOL Sure, run outside when I want a fresh cup of coffee. Not sure the outdoor outlets work. He wired them so, really wouldn't be too sure.

Although her granddad has electric up in the barn. Damn, walk up the hill to sit and enjoy coffee. *smh* I dunno, where a will a way I guess. It just seems shitty that i continually need to feel a part of a S.E.A.L team in combat when I never was that. Yet I know all too well their motto, "embrace the suck" and "the only easy day was yesterday".

Life shouldn't be a constant fight. People do have happiness, joy without need of fighting. Yes, I've seen them do so. What the fuck gives in my case?

Oh that's right as @Hank F. Spankman reminded me, "I survive". Yeah, joy for that, eh?

Last edited:

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Fuck it I'm focusing on the little moment. I had some happiness this morning sitting with Maow. Me and him nuzzled up to one another. Those turkey don't stand a chance either. We'll get 'em. :) Another little moment, full of bad things for a diet albeit, that damn chocolate muffin. Oh so damn yummy. :) Might want another. Ha! Might go on and have it too. When all I got is "holding my fire" and "hanging on for the ride", may as well enjoy the little things.

2WhiteWolves

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
My little friend walked right up to me yesterday afternoon~! Pizano Bunny loves Italian Bread.

View attachment 186727
That reminds me of when we lived in the city. I would toss grapes out to the Robins, it was cute watching them hop over to eat them. Did that every morning, a very good way to start the day with a smile.

! WAKE UP ! from the MEDIA SPELL !

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
That reminds me of when we lived in the city. I would toss grapes out to the Robins, it was cute watching them hop over to eat them. Did that every morning, a very good way to start the day with a smile.

I have all sorts of Birds coming to eat, drink and bathe. Have some smaller Blue Jays and Doves visiting lately. Trying to find out what these pretty little ones are.

1633276104798.png

2WhiteWolves

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I have all sorts of Birds coming to eat, drink and bathe. Have some smaller Blue Jays and Doves visiting lately. Trying to find out what these pretty little ones are.

View attachment 186730
Can't tell from the pic.

Do they have a Purple/blue tint? Or a brown head? Or spots? Or red on the wings.
Purple/blue shiny tint is a Grackle, they like shiny things, lol. Spots are Starlings. Brown head are Brown Headed Cow birds. If they have red on the wings, they are Red Winged Black birds.
Starlings and Cow birds need to have BB's in the their heads. Cow birds are Parasites to other birds. They push out eggs of other birds and lay their own eggs, than that bird takes care of their babies :mad: . Starlings, well, there's just too many of them.
Some one else may be able to say what it is. There may be other types of black birds in your area than what we have here.

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Here it is Sunday and I'm not flying tomorrow! Yay! I do have to take our male cat to the vet tomorrow for shots. Should be interesting as he does not like anything to do with being put into a cage and then a car. Anyway I'll be around this week some. Travel weeks there is just too much going on to spend much time on the forum.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
*refills squonk bottle, goes "Squonk", vapes, sighs and smiles, goes back to Marx Bros. television*

*sits watching fish screen saver*

Last edited:

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
*sips coffee, takes medicines, vapes, has a grasp on what today brings, sighs ... enjoys coffee & vape*

You know the kind of worker that maliciously does better work than others?

That's not me.

I'm the kind that has learned to do stuff the hard way first. I then find all the shortcuts, even ones others missed. I still do damn good work. I do it because it's there to do. I do it having self worth & a mild sense of pride in the work done.

I don't do it to deliberately make others look bad. I don't do it to gain favoritism. I don't do it because I'm a prick.

I do it that way because it is simply me, how I was taught/trained/raised. That old world/school work ethic was driven into me from young up. The "old timers" spotted real quick "Ah, here's a show me boy." They knew once I got shown, that was it. I would have it forever and only change up to get more efficient, effective.

That's me.

It's also trouble.

Here I come in as just a substitute, "part-timer" and I'm working two week jaunts and averaging 40 hrs weekly. I would do more too. I got the energy and drive. I get done in four hours what others take eight to do. I go sit and wait, done. Yes, I go ask others if they need help. I get told they don't. What else can I do? I've already done all the "little extra" things to do as well by that point. All I got is sitting and waiting.

Seems my whole life, waiting.

For what? Who knows? Why? Who knows, again?

Wife says "that's life", I ought to accept it like everyone else.

That's just it though, pretty clear I'm nothing like everyone else.

No, I'm trouble apparently. *sighs*

Last edited:

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
*sips coffee, takes medicines, vapes, has a grasp on what today brings, sighs ... enjoys coffee & vape*

You know the kind of worker that maliciously does better work than others?

That's not me.

I'm the kind that has learned to do stuff the hard way first. I then find all the shortcuts, even ones others missed. I still do damn good work. I do it because it's there to do. I do it having self worth & a mild sense of pride in the work done.

I don't do it to deliberately make others look bad. I don't do it to gain favoritism. I don't do it because I'm a prick.

I do it that way because it is simply me, how I was taught/trained/raised. That old world/school work ethic was driven into me from young up. The "old timers" spotted real quick "Ah, here's a show me boy." They knew once I got shown, that was it. I would have it forever and only change up to get more efficient, effective.

That's me.

It's also trouble.

Here I come in as just a substitute, "part-timer" and I'm working two week jaunts and averaging 40 hrs weekly. I would do more too. I got the energy and drive. I get done in four hours what others take eight to do. I go sit and wait, done. Yes, I go ask others if they need help. I get told they don't. What else can I do? I've already done all the "little extra" things to do as well by that point. All I got is sitting and waiting.

Seems my whole life, waiting.

For what? Who knows? Why? Who knows, again?

Wife says "that's life", I ought to accept it like everyone else.

That's just it though, pretty clear I'm nothing like everyone else.

No, I'm trouble apparently. *sighs*

I was taught early and before I even had a job by my Father.

If a Job is worth doing it is worth doing right. Lived my life that way.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I was taught early and before I even had a job by my Father.

If a Job is worth doing it is worth doing right. Lived my life that way.

Much the same here. Though can admit I can understand the expression "close enough for government work". No point killing yourself to be perfect when close enough suits fine. Also understand "it'll be there tomorrow" regarding the work. It isn't procrastinating but knowing you've done enough for the time allotted.

Still, just seems I'm trouble. *chuckles* Oh well, ...

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
enough for government work"

I know it as............ "Good enough for Government work", but for me that is only when I am not in charge of a project or it isn't for me. For example I was helping a neighbor with building a Prefab Shed. When the level was off by .4 Degrees which is less than one tenth of an inch. He was like Fuck It, that is good so I said Good enough for Government Work~! We got a laugh but if using a bubble level you would say it was perfect. I was using a Level App on my phone which is so accurate it is overkill.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Went in to sub for the lady what bumped me out of a spot. She's been out for a surgery over a month. Found out she isn't doing the work even if there. The other subs what have come in haven't been either.

"Mike" who has been working there saw his buddy Ro--- retire this year. I struck for her spot but this lady Be-- got it out of seniority. Mike told me how it's been going. I saw 1/8 inch think black sludge dust on the top of toilet tanks tonight. Me and him talked.

We agreed Ro---'s hall could be a full 8 hrs. He also agreed I could probably get it in 4 after I got it in shape, had a routine. He asked how I did the stuff so quick. Told him I chained. He knew without any explaining. "Ah, the rest of em got no clue. I've seen your work Ben. You do good even if you do it 'rolling'."

Anyway that was my evening for 5 and a half hours, moving dirt. The rest was a little soma because I ran out of stuff to do. Got it looking a lot better than it did. Told Mike to check it, he just chuckled and shook his head. "You say it's good, done. I buy it." And it wasn't that he didn't care but rather knew it was good and done.

VU Sponsors