Become a Patron!

What song are you playing right now?

AntDog

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Lot's of shredders are like this. They play very intricate and technically magnificent things, but couldn't write a meaningful song to save their lives.

There ya go!

One reason I don't like BTBAM. Fucking 75 minute practice session "wankery" without a damn cohesive, actual, honest to goodness "song" in sight.

That did sound a little weird coming from a "distinguished d'jentleman" such as yourself youngblood!

Like any Devin Townsend? DTP, SYL, it's all good my man. :D

robot zombie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Robot Z, you my friend, have perty good musical taste....
A little wordy, but you're kewl.
Haha, that's the real trouble with ADHD. Most of the time I can't focus on anything, but every now and then, I just get locked into one thing and I literally can't think about anything else until all of the billowing tangents run their course. It leads me to get very carried away with certain things.

Thank you, though, Mr. Phone. I'm sure you're unaware, but I can tell you've been stealing records from my mom's collection. It's okay, though. Some of that stuff you've been posting is half of my childhood.

One reason I don't like BTBAM. Fucking 75 minute practice session "wankery" without a damn cohesive, actual, honest to goodness "song" in sight.
Yeah, it's understandable. I love BTBAM, though as a guitarist, I have a high tolerance for wankery. One thing that pisses me off about BTBAM is the fact that they actually can write compelling music... ...and they can pull it off extremely well. Every now and then, they'll toss-in a passage or two of very classy, thoughtfully-written and laid-back music that makes you think maybe they're gonna take things in a more musical direction only to go back to noodling for another five minutes just after. When listening with a guitar buddy who shares a lot of my tastes, I can't tell you how many times I've said "THIS. Why can't they just make an album that sounds like this?"

I'm still holding out for the day when they chill the fuck out and put out something more down to earth. There's a lot of tact hiding in their music that's begging to be let out. One day, they will exhaust the appeal from their technicality-oriented audience and have to fall back on their underlying sense of musicality. Or at least, I hope they will.

And yes, I love all three. Devin Townsend is one of my favorite prog/experimental players, right alongside Steven Wilson and Mikael Åkerfeldt. Actually, those three need to get together and make an EP or something. Everything those guys touch turns to awesome. I think they'd get along just fine.

TF Vaping

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

That and I'm actually playing "call me" by shinedown on guitar, trying anyway, taking a break.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Hypnophone

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
See the LP cover in the background? THAT's the original cover. A mechanical chicken with rockets in it's ass....

This is from the LP:

Hypnophone

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
OK Kidseseses, Here's a little history for you:
Stan Getz, Astrud Gilberto:
Mmmmmm, Astrud....

Hypnophone

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Haha, that's the real trouble with ADHD. Most of the time I can't focus on anything, but every now and then, I just get locked into one thing and I literally can't think about anything else until all of the billowing tangents run their course. It leads me to get very carried away with certain things.

Thank you, though, Mr. Phone. I'm sure you're unaware, but I can tell you've been stealing records from my mom's collection. It's okay, though. Some of that stuff you've been posting is half of my childhood.

Yeah, it's understandable. I love BTBAM, though as a guitarist, I have a high tolerance for wankery. One thing that pisses me off about BTBAM is the fact that they actually can write compelling music... ...and they can pull it off extremely well. Every now and then, they'll toss-in a passage or two of very classy, thoughtfully-written and laid-back music that makes you think maybe they're gonna take things in a more musical direction only to go back to noodling for another five minutes just after. When listening with a guitar buddy who shares a lot of my tastes, I can't tell you how many times I've said "THIS. Why can't they just make an album that sounds like this?"

I'm still holding out for the day when they chill the fuck out and put out something more down to earth. There's a lot of tact hiding in their music that's begging to be let out. One day, they will exhaust the appeal from their technicality-oriented audience and have to fall back on their underlying sense of musicality. Or at least, I hope they will.

And yes, I love all three. Devin Townsend is one of my favorite prog/experimental players, right alongside Steven Wilson and Mikael Åkerfeldt. Actually, those three need to get together and make an EP or something. Everything those guys touch turns to awesome. I think they'd get along just fine.

From your Mom's collection????? Dude, that's kinda cool.

AntDog

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Check out this band that just came out! Look at all those hipsters mesmerized in the audience. Lol

BTW - if you don't like this song, somethin' wrong witcha.

VU Sponsors