Become a Patron!

Whiskey's Corner has moved to another forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

HazyShades

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Not when it's genetic, I know a few things about dogs sonny!

I'll take that "sonny" as a compliment.
I don't doubt that you know a few things (LOL) about dogs, Vapin'.
After all, even old dogs have been known to learn new tricks...

I only worked doing obedience, guard dog, companion (attack on command)
and illegal substance detection (DEA) and helped to run a kennel/guard dog company
for over 15 years...so I don't doubt that an old farmer like you might know a bit more than me.

I beg to differ with you somewhat. Not all problems are genetic. In fact
most canine behavioral issues stem from poor training and stupid owners.
For example, while true that pit bulls are bred to attack and kill smaller critters
not all pit bulls are killers.
One of the most peaceful dogs I've ever known was a bud's pit, Head
and the other was mine, Peace.

On the other hand one of the meanest, most aggressive bitches I've ever seen
was my St. Bernard, Yoni , while you could flank Bozo, her mate, heck you pick him up by the nuts,
and he'd look at you lovingly. It all depends on too many variables to generalize.

Last edited:

snake94115

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I drink coffee all day:D:coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee:
For those times I'm not drinking coffee.

3-Supernatural-Season-Ten-Episode-Twenty-Three-SPN-S10E23-Brothers-Keeper-Dean-Winchester-Jensen-Ackles-600x338.jpg

snake94115

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Good Afternoon Corner Folks and VU Wrecking Crew.
Our friend @2WhiteWolves asked me to relay the message that she'll be taking some time off
from VU due to her carriage turning into a pumpkin unexpectedly (she did stay out past midnight),
her glass slippers broke,
and the sky may or may not be falling...
She promises to be back as soon as she gets new flip-flops and a tricycle.
That should be in a few days.

(Beats me why she elected me to give y'all these news but like the good messenger I am I have delivered)
Hmm a tricycle for 2WW?
I have a clear mental image of this.

86c6d12a12a5e1790a43d9297f83300f.jpg

Vapin4Joy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'll take that "sonny" as a compliment.
I don't doubt that you know a few things (LOL) about dogs, Vapin'.
After all, even old dogs have been known to learn new tricks...

I only worked doing obedience, guard dog, companion (attack on command)
and illegal substance detection (DEA) and helped to run a kennel/guard dog company
for over 15 years...so I don't doubt that an old farmer like you might know a bit more than me.

I beg to differ with you somewhat. Not all problems are genetic. In fact
most canine behavioral issues stem from poor training and stupid owners.
For example, while true that pit bulls are bred to attack and kill smaller critters
One of the most peaceful dogs I've ever known was a bud's pit, Head
and the other was mine, Peace.

On the other hand one of the meanest, most aggressive bitches I've ever seen
was my St. Bernard, Yoni , while you could flank Bozo, her mate, heck you pick him up by the nuts,
and he'd look at you lovingly. It all depends on too many variables to generalize.
Interesting!

The rugged Alaskan Malamute is a working dog, best suited to people who love the great outdoors. He plays vigorously and is most content when pulling or packing a load (sledding, ski-joring, weight pulling, backpacking), especially in cold weather. This breed should not be kept in a hot climate.

Alaskan Malamutes are very challenging to train and live with. Without sufficient exercise and challenging things to do, Malamutes become rambunctious and bored, which they usually express by chronic howling and destructive chewing. Bored Alaskan Malamutes are famous for chewing through drywall, ripping the stuffing out of sofas, and turning your yard into a moonscape of giant craters.

Animal-aggression is a major concern. The Alaskan Malamute can be so aggressive with other dogs of the same sex that two males or two females should not be kept together. When this breed fights, the battles can be serious and bloody. Malamutes can be predatory with smaller pets -- I would not keep a Malamute with a cat unless the pair has grown up together. When outdoors, Malamutes must be securely confined behind a high fence, for they can be escape artists with strong exploratory instincts. Once loose, they won't come back when you call them and they may run deer and molest livestock.

snake94115

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I went to the SPCA today to check out Zorn, a beautiful boy, friendly to me, obedient. The only problems where, he does not like other dogs, possessive with his toys and food, and He's a escape artist. That's why his previous owner gave him up, he got into trouble fighting other dogs.
He does not fit the bill with me.
It is not the dog's fault.

snake94115

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
All right, take that you Keurigians...

41M9GSkiZTL.jpg

Our cup at a time. From Walgreens. Twenny bucks. :D

Stood up to the test of time too - still cranking out hot coffee over 3 years running. (It really does get up to a good brew temperature. I measured it before I made the first coffee in it 'cause if it didn't it was going right back.) The only time the 12 cupper gets pulled out is if someone in the house decides to make batches for iced coffee during the summer
Wouldn't work for me I drink about pot every time I make coffee.

Meet my coffee cup the 52 oz Bubba Keg.

1953391-1.jpg

snake94115

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Speaking of the wife :facepalm:.......She just was walking down the hall and "moved wrong". She either pulled a muscle in her leg, of tore something. I'm hoping that she'll be OK. NOT only for her.....but I am supposed to go on a local brewery tour with flights of beer, tomorrow. If she isn't better by tomorrow, then I will have to probably take her to the ER and I'll have to postpone taking one of my good friends out for his birthday:confetti:. So far......My weekend isn't looking too good ATM.
Ouchies!
Keep checking for swelling and bruising.Those ain't good signs.
I damn near took out my Achilles tendon a few years ago.Even after a trip to my doctor to get it taken care of it still feels weird when I sit/stand too long.
And now no more yoga for me...Sadly!

snake94115

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
There is no such thing as a Pit Bull!!

What most people call pit bull's are actually (American Staffordshire Terrier's).
Which is a great breed of dog.
There are no bad breeds, there are lots of bad people breeding dogs though.

HazyShades

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Interesting!

The rugged Alaskan Malamute is a working dog, best suited to people who love the great outdoors. He plays vigorously and is most content when pulling or packing a load (sledding, ski-joring, weight pulling, backpacking), especially in cold weather. This breed should not be kept in a hot climate.

Alaskan Malamutes are very challenging to train and live with. Without sufficient exercise and challenging things to do, Malamutes become rambunctious and bored, which they usually express by chronic howling and destructive chewing. Bored Alaskan Malamutes are famous for chewing through drywall, ripping the stuffing out of sofas, and turning your yard into a moonscape of giant craters.

Animal-aggression is a major concern. The Alaskan Malamute can be so aggressive with other dogs of the same sex that two males or two females should not be kept together. When this breed fights, the battles can be serious and bloody. Malamutes can be predatory with smaller pets -- I would not keep a Malamute with a cat unless the pair has grown up together. When outdoors, Malamutes must be securely confined behind a high fence, for they can be escape artists with strong exploratory instincts. Once loose, they won't come back when you call them and they may run deer and molest livestock.

Indeed. But though genetically suited for certain climates and/or geographic locales
genes only indicate a predisposition NOT a definite aptitude or behavior.
For example, my St Bernard bitch readily adapted to the climate in Miami.
But her mate had problems adapting to living in North Carolina ( I gave her to an Army dude)

Two alpha males should NEVER be kept together, but that's more a matter of their being
Alpha than their being males. I've owned bitches that couldn't be together.

Perhaps in your case aggressiveness is to be discouraged, especially between dogs.
In my former line of work aggressiveness was encouraged, but not between dogs.
We've had three male Malamutes and a male Rott work well together as a guard dog team
in an area known for the fences/walls being torn down so that the dogs would escape thus leaving the premises
open to thieves BUT THEY WOULD NOT LEAVE, even when tempted by a bitch in heat.

I don't question that genetic predisposition is an important variable to be considered.
But where you seem to think it's of utmost importance,
I know my ability and experience as a trainer and know a creatures genes aren't the
complete determining factor in how it will behave.

Using your logic one might say that certain human races would be incompetent to hold certain jobs
and we all know that isn't the case..
Siberian husky, malamutes and Samoyeds surely make for better sled dogs than Chihuahuas
but not if the whole team is made up of Alpha dogs, and it doesn't matter if they're all males
as long as there is one lead and one boss (their master).

Now, don't misunderstand me, Vapin'. I'm sure you know your working dogs on the farm.
On the other hand, I know dogs in general, studied psychology and behavior modification,
and have years of hands on experience training (and caring for) both pets and (police) working dogs.
I wouldn't even think of teaching you how to plant a row of sweet corn
only because I eat corn on the cob now and then.

snake94115

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Interesting!

Yep most of the wolfy looking breeds are like that.

HazyShades

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
There is no such thing as a Pit Bull!!

What most people call pit bull's are actually (American Staffordshire Terrier's).
Which is a great breed of dog.
There are no bad breeds, there are lots of bad people breeding dogs though.

These breeds are essentially the same dogs but have been bred for different purposes and/or size standards since the mid 1930's. Some are even dual registered (i.e., registered as an American Pit Bull Terrier with the UKC and as an American Staffordshire Terrier with the AKC).

http://www.pbrc.net/faq.html
First, it is important to know that Staffordshire Terrier and “Pit Bull” are not official breeds, but rather common terms used to describe a certain type of dog. There are actually many dog breeds that can be easily confused and are often mistakenly referred to as Pit Bulls. The correct designations are:

• American Pit Bull Terrier (APBT) - recognized by the ADBA (American Dog Breeder’s Association) and UKC (United Kennel Club)
  • American Staffordshire Terrier (AST) - recognized by the AKC (American Kennel Club)
  • Staffordshire Bull Terrier (SBT) - recognized by the AKC and UKC
These breeds are essentially the same dogs but have been bred for different purposes and/or size standards since the mid 1930's. Some are even dual registered (i.e., registered as an American Pit Bull Terrier with the UKC and as an American Staffordshire Terrier with the AKC). Petey the Pup from The Little Rascals was among the first American Pit Bull Terriers to be registered with the AKC as an American Staffordshire Terrier.

How can we tell the difference? We can't, really. We can only try to guess the breed based on subtle characteristics. Note that even experts can't always tell if a Pit Bull is an APBT, an AST or a SBT. Even with DNA testing, many known purebred dogs come up with results of mixed breed lineage. For the average Pit Bull owner, however, these distinctions are not really relevant. As a general rule, dogs of these breeds tend to have stable and loving temperaments.

http://dogtime.com/dog-breeds/american-pit-bull-terrier#/slide/1
American Pit Bull Terrier
The American Pit Bull Terrier is a companion and family dog breed. Originally bred to “bait” bulls, the breed evolved into all-around farm dogs, and later moved into the house to become “nanny dogs” because they were so gentle around children. Their tenacity, gameness, and courage make them popular competitors in the sports of weight pulling, agility, and obedience competition.

-------------------------------
In places like Miami where "Pitt Bulls" were outlawed over 25 years ago
the distinction between the American Pitt Bull and the Staffordshire Terrier is pushed by
people who just move here in order to try to circumvent
the law. But as you can see above they're the same breed.
The people running dog fights in Hialeah use Pitts, bred and trained to kill other dogs.

pete67

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I went to the SPCA today to check out Zorn, a beautiful boy, friendly to me, obedient. The only problems where, he does not like other dogs, possessive with his toys and food, and He's a escape artist. That's why his previous owner gave him up, he got into trouble fighting other dogs.
He does not fit the bill with me.
Sorry to hear that. He is such a beautiful dog.

pete67

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
The last time I got into an argument here on VU it was because of dogs.
So that considered and it being that I enjoy the company of all the folks on The Corner,
I think I'll join my bud @2WhiteWolves in exile for a while.
My pumpkin turned into a pick-up truck and my shit kicking boots are now sandals. Oy.

See y'all next time.
See ya later. Good night Hazy.:goodnight:

snake94115

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The last time I got into an argument here on VU it was because of dogs.
So that considered and it being that I enjoy the company of all the folks on The Corner,
I think I'll join my bud @2WhiteWolves in exile for a while.
My pumpkin turned into a pick-up truck and my shit kicking boots are now sandals. Oy.

See y'all next time.
Wait what?
Who's arguing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VU Sponsors