Become a Patron!

Do we have a responsibility?

zeeter

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
As a vaping community one of the strongest arguments we hear against vaping is that kids might start doing it, thus leading to cigarettes and then *** then h*roin and...well you get the picture.

So I ask, do we have a responsibility to reject the candy flavored e-liquids? This would include cereals like fruity pebbles and similar flavors. We all know the difference between a candy flavor and a non-candy flavor.

Personally I do not enjoy the candy flavors. I tried a fruity pebbles flavor once and almost gagged. Maybe I'm old enough that those flavors are no longer suitable to my palate.

Yet kids are more likely to be interested in a candy flavored vape than a custard style, and I can legitimately see the reasoning behind the concern. Kids want to be cool. They like the candy flavors and if they can vape it then it makes them look even cooler. Maybe they share it with their friends and become more popular due to being so "edgy." Other kids try to be like the edgy kid and the next thing you know there is a group of 14 year-olds who are vaping.

We're all adults here. Should we be rejecting these flavors in order to 1) prevent kids from vaping and 2) eliminate this argument from the anti-vaping community's arsenal?

jwill

The Great King of Nothing
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
Not IMO. You can say the same thing about candy, soda and the product flavors these are based around which kill people in large numbers through health decline and related illnesses. I'm not a fan of a lot of candy flavors but people should have the freedom to choose whatever they want to vape as consenting adults.

If kids want to participate they are going to find a way and use whatever is available, so in my opinion the end result of your statement is we vape plain unflavored juice and eventually nothing, because if someone wants to vape they are going to use whatever is next in line after we remove candy flavors. Once we remove that and find kids are still vaping, we have to remove the next thing and so on. Slippery slope.

If they will eat tide pods, they will vape custard. Just saying.

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Maybe make the laws super strict so only adults could buy them. Like need a super secret password. Kids are using juuls and shit to get a nicotine buzz. I highly doubt they care about candy flavors as mango is the most candied a juul gets. Imo it like don't give them lettuce because McDonald's has lettuce on some of their burgers then they'll get fat. Kids are gonna find a way to do shit. Cigarette,vaping, sex. Tell them no and they want it more. I vape everyday. My kids have no interest in what I do with my vape stuff nor the super awesome flavors I vape. It's just paranoia from the media.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Nope. Personally I think vapes SHOULD be sold, hell no, GIVEN AWAY FOR FREE, to those who have a "-teen" in the last part of their age, to make them less likely to 1) try cigarettes, and/or 2) like them at all even if they do try 'em. I think the fucking killjoy fascist control-freak puritans should change the stick up their asses to a shotgun and pull the trigger with their toe. It would make the world a much nicer place to live if people would start minding THEIR OWN DAMN BUSINESS, including the raising of other people's kids.

Andria

stanglifemike

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Absolutely not!! This is just another excuse big tobacco and big pharma use to try and make vaping look bad so their products sell better. That's it, nothing more, nothing less!
Alcohol has a much greater effect on the user than vaping, but there are candy flavored liquors. Yet, for some reason, that isn't relevant...

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

SMOKIE

THE MODFATHER
Staff member
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Live Leadership
Show Host
Reviewer
Vape Media
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Most teens who vape are in High School. I remember when I was in High School, and smoked. That being said vaping would of been much better for me, 90% safer as studies have shown.

Would teens pick up smoking if vaping was not around? Smoking was the cool thing to do when I was a teen, so now we have vaping which is safer.

Flavors, and packaging labels really have nothing to do with making vaping attractive to teens. They will do it no matter what, just like we did with cigarettes.

And how do these teens buy ecigs, because you have to be of legal age to make a purchase? I can tell you I know a lot of parents buy them for there teens also because they rather see them vape then smoke.

Politicians just want to show they are doing something for society so they come up with some crazy law ideas like seat belting your dog in a car..

THIS WHOLE THING ABOUT THE CHILDREN AND VAPING IS NONSENSE!

zeeter

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Absolutely not!! This is just another excuse big tobacco and big pharma use to try and make vaping look bad so their products sell better. That's it, nothing more, nothing less!
Alcohol has a much greater effect on the user than vaping, but there are candy flavored liquors. Yet, for some reason, that isn't relevant...

My position removes that argument from big tobacco and big pharma. If there's no candy flavors then the kids might be less likely to try it.

zeeter

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Nope. Alcohol is made for and sold only to adults and there are tons of candy flavored vodkas. They wouldn't make 'em if people didn't buy 'em.

I remember when they started the candy flavored vodkas and also remember the outrage over it since so many kids liked it.

stanglifemike

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
My position removes that argument from big tobacco and big pharma. If there's no candy flavors then the kids might be less likely to try it.
It isn't fair to choose just one category of flavors to eliminate. If you do that then you have to get rid of all flavors that aren't tobacco/menthol, as those also might attract kids.
For the record I rarely ever use candy flavors, maybe 5% of the time. It wouldn't affect my daily usage if candy flavors weren't allowed, but I don't think it's fair to single out one category of flavors.

zeeter

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
It was just a thought. I still believe that having candy flavors sends the wrong message, but this is just my opinion.

wildgypsy70

“Widgy Pidgy”
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I get your argument, but no. I don’t think any flavors should be restricted. As everyone above has said, teens are gonna do what they’re gonna do. They’re gonna get smokes, alcohol, drugs.....there are always ways. We all know that! We all did those things! This is just the newest thing for them to acquire that they “shouldn’t” have. It doesn’t matter what flavor it is. They want the buzz, they’ll get the buzz.

And, really....Sugar is waaaaaay worse for teens(and everyone else) than nicotine. The Diabetes rate is skyrocketing because there’s sugar in EVERYTHING. And food coloring, chemicals, etc.....all terrible for growing bodies. The autism rate, ADHD rate.....IMO, all linked to what’s in our food....or what’s been taken out. Nicotine is the least of our worries.....

stanglifemike

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
It was just a thought. I still believe that having candy flavors sends the wrong message, but this is just my opinion.
In my opinion, it doesn't send the wrong message. Candy isn't made solely for kids, and there are plenty of people in their 90s who like candy. Now if the flavor was a popular kids cartoon character, then I would agree that kids are the intended targets.

wildgypsy70

“Widgy Pidgy”
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
It isn't fair to choose just one category of flavors to eliminate. If you do that then you have to get rid of all flavors that aren't tobacco/menthol, as those also might attract kids.
For the record I rarely ever use candy flavors, maybe 5% of the time. It wouldn't affect my daily usage if candy flavors weren't allowed, but I don't think it's fair to single out one category of flavors.

Agreed. To me, cake and bakeries are my downfall. Even as a kid, I’d take Cake any day over candy.

And that’s what they eventually wanna do. Eliminate everything except tobacco and menthol.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That's quite a leap from my original post. No need to get sarcastic about things. I was bringing up a topic for discussion.
No it's not, it's right in line with it. So called setting a bad example is nothing but B.S. Flavors are the primary reason why Vaping works so well to get people off the Stinkies and yes Candy, Pastry, dessert flavors are a major reason for that. Saying that kids could be attracted to flavorings that adults also enjoy these flavorings and should be banned is nothing but tripe.

wildgypsy70

“Widgy Pidgy”
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
That's quite a leap from my original post. No need to get sarcastic about things. I was bringing up a topic for discussion.
And it’s a relevant topic. Packaging has been a topic of convo lately, as well.

Unless I’m mistaken, doesn’t Juul only have like 5 flavors? And none of them are candy, right? I know the others that have refillable pods have more options. Very few of these kids are using what we use(tanks, rdas, mods, etc....). I just don’t know what all the freak out is about with the flavors.

zeeter

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
No it's not, it's right in line with it. So called setting a bad example is nothing but B.S. Flavors are the primary reason why Vaping works so well to get people off the Stinkies and yes Candy, Pastry, dessert flavors are a major reason for that. Saying that kids could be attracted to flavorings that adults also enjoy these flavorings and should be banned is nothing but tripe.

If you disagree with my post then that's fine. There is a civil way of doing it. I have not insulted anyone on this thread and have not said anyone's replies were B.S.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years

The trouble is, you brought up a topic many here - me included - feel strongly about.

It's also divisive to the vape community if YOU are willing to give up MY RIGHT to vape candy flavors, which I do

If regulators are going after any type of vaping, they need to go after irresponsible packaging like the one that looks like a kid's juice box or the one where the bottle looks like spray whip cream - and even that makes me nervous

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The trouble is, you brought up a topic many here - me included - feel strongly about.

It's also divisive to the vape community if YOU are willing to give up MY RIGHT to vape candy flavors, which I do

If regulators are going after any type of vaping, they need to go after irresponsible packaging like the one that looks like a kid's juice box or the one where the bottle looks like spray whip cream - and even that makes me nervous
hit-the-nail-on-the-head.jpg

wildgypsy70

“Widgy Pidgy”
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon

Yup. I agree. The juice box ones? Argh! The whipped cream can ones are even worse. I’m not pro regulating everything under the sun, but if we’re gonna go after something, that might be something a lot of us can get behind. Don’t take away the flavorings.....go after cartoon characters on packaging. That I can see(somewhat) as a valid argument, if there’s one to be had.

wildgypsy70

“Widgy Pidgy”
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Nope. Alcohol is made for and sold only to adults and there are tons of candy flavored vodkas. They wouldn't make 'em if people didn't buy 'em.
Very true. And teens get them and anything else they want. There is always a way around the rules, no matter how strict they are.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years

It reminds me of the "it won't affect me" crowd who supported that Congressional bill that would have outlawed mechs but allow regulated mods

Tons of regulated vapers jumped on that ban mechs bandwagon - again, willing to trample on my rights to save theirs, and divide the vape community.

And, really....Sugar is waaaaaay worse for teens(and everyone else) than nicotine. The Diabetes rate is skyrocketing because there’s sugar in EVERYTHING. And food coloring, chemicals, etc.....all terrible for growing bodies. The autism rate, ADHD rate.....IMO, all linked to what’s in our food....or what’s been taken out. Nicotine is the least of our worries.....

I can't agree with this enough !!!

zeeter

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
I don't want to bring alcohol into this because it's not the same, but it is the only thing I can think of that is relateable.

When I was a kid I didn't like beer but it was all a kid could get because the liquor was only sold in state stores. State stores were run by government employees who didn't care about profits whereas a beer distributor might sell to you even if you didn't quite look old enough. I drank beer and didn't like it so I didn't drink much of it. One time I was at a party with my family and managed to snag a bottle of gin that someone left after leaving. From this I learned that a gin and tonic went down easier and actually tasted good. Moving on, lots of beginning drinkers enjoyed long island iced teas and other fruity drinks that didn't taste a bit like alcohol. Of course eventually one develops a taste for beer and harder liquors. That fuzzy navel doesn't match up to a jack and coke, and at this point I'm a beer snob.

I can see a case where the same might be true of e-liquids. One might not like the flavor of some e-liquids but they might like what peanut butter cup tastes like. Many have brought up valid points that a lot of the custardy flavors would be very palatable to kids, as well.

So I agree that my hypothesis is mostly without merit. I came to this conclusion after some of the responses here. This is called having a reasonable discussion on a topic and not being rude.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't want to bring alcohol into this because it's not the same, but it is the only thing I can think of that is relateable.

When I was a kid I didn't like beer but it was all a kid could get because the liquor was only sold in state stores. State stores were run by government employees who didn't care about profits whereas a beer distributor might sell to you even if you didn't quite look old enough. I drank beer and didn't like it so I didn't drink much of it. One time I was at a party with my family and managed to snag a bottle of gin that someone left after leaving. From this I learned that a gin and tonic went down easier and actually tasted good. Moving on, lots of beginning drinkers enjoyed long island iced teas and other fruity drinks that didn't taste a bit like alcohol. Of course eventually one develops a taste for beer and harder liquors. That fuzzy navel doesn't match up to a jack and coke, and at this point I'm a beer snob.

I can see a case where the same might be true of e-liquids. One might not like the flavor of some e-liquids but they might like what peanut butter cup tastes like. Many have brought up valid points that a lot of the custardy flavors would be very palatable to kids, as well.

So I agree that my hypothesis is mostly without merit. I came to this conclusion after some of the responses here. This is called having a reasonable discussion on a topic and not being rude.

No one has been rude here, you in all seriousness are just being way over sensitive.

wildgypsy70

“Widgy Pidgy”
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
The funny part is, IMO, it’s not about the flavors for teens at all....it’s about the buzz. Like @zeeter just said.....we all drank crappy alcohol and smoked cigs for what? The buzz. We didn’t care how it tasted. We didn’t care if it was the crappiest vodka in plastic jugs....am I gonna get drunk? Hell, ya! Drink away!

They’re gonna Juul even if Mango and Creme Brulee are taken away. Sure, they taste better than tobacco/menthol, but if the buzz is there.....they’re gonna do it.

Papachaz

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
While I understand where you are coming from in you point of view I don’t think that eliminating one type of flavor would be effective. Teens are just the same as adults. Not all of them will like the candy flavors. I do think that the manufacturer should not only be responsible in the way their products are packaged and presented, they should also be held accountable. Visual appeal plays a huge part in any type of marketing. Ultimately it comes down to the parents acting like parents and not trying to be their teens best friend. If you choose to have children then it’s your responsibility to look after those children not society’s.

Carpe Nidor

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The funny part is, IMO, it’s not about the flavors for teens at all....it’s about the buzz. Like @zeeter just said.....we all drank crappy alcohol and smoked cigs for what? The buzz. We didn’t care how it tasted. We didn’t care if it was the crappiest vodka in plastic jugs....am I gonna get drunk? Hell, ya! Drink away!

They’re gonna Juul even if Mango and Creme Brulee are taken away. Sure, they taste better than tobacco/menthol, but if the buzz is there.....they’re gonna do it.
Mmm plastic jug liquor. Brings back so many terrible memories.

stanglifemike

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
@zeeter I believe what many were surprised by is that you, a fellow vaper, said you agreed that candy flavors were sending the wrong message.

zeeter

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years

I smoked Kent cigarettes because that's what my mom smoked. Plus when I went to the corner store for cigarettes they would just assume I was buying them for her. Not that they cared. Yeah...things used to be like that.

Remember Mad Dog? Do they still make that? If I recall it was gut rotting carbonated wine.

zeeter

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
@zeeter I believe what many were surprised by is that you, a fellow vaper, said you agreed that candy flavors were sending the wrong message.

I did suggest that it might be and to a certain extent I still do. When we have fruity pebbles flavored vape it does make me wonder. But as others suggested, the same could be said about the custard flavors. It would be hypocritical of me to condemn one flavor type while endorsing another when they both could potentially do the same thing as far as kids go.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

And people would be less inclined to give up smoking for something that tastes better. So again, NO FUCKING WAY. You're just trying to make it easier for idiots to control you. I REFUSE to be controlled by idiots.

Andria

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
It would be hypocritical of me to condemn one flavor type while endorsing another when they both could potentially do the same thing as far as kids go.

True

Andonsider this: I'd rather a teenager vape Fruity Pebbles than smoke anything - I really believe that the kids that are vaping now are the ones that would have been smoking even 10 or 2 or 3 years ago

Last edited:

SMOKIE

THE MODFATHER
Staff member
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Live Leadership
Show Host
Reviewer
Vape Media
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
My first real drink was at 13 years of age, downed a quart bottle of Boone's Farm Strawberry Wine. Was plastered to the sidewalk in Brooklyn on a side street around the corner from the liquor store where they sold it to me which cost was under $1.00 at that time, could not get up for a while just like a bowery bum, lol

From that day on went onto bigger, and better stuff, like Southern Comfort, and others. .

My point is that it had no big effect later in life from having a flavored alcohol drink as a teenager. Guess some could debate that, LMAO

upload_2018-8-12_15-35-17.png

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My first real drink was at 13 years of age, downed a quart bottle of Boone's Farm Strawberry Wine. Was plastered to the sidewalk in Brooklyn on a side street around the corner from the liquor store where they sold it to me which cost was under $1.00 at that time, could not get up for a while just like a bowery bum, lol

From that day on went onto bigger, and better stuff, like Southern Comfort, and others. .

My point is that it had no big effect later in life from having a flavored alcohol drink as a teenager. Guess some could debate that, LMAO

View attachment 117734
Strawberry hilllllllll

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
True

Andonsider this: I'd rather a teenager vape Fruity Pebbles than smoke anything - I really believe that the kids that are vaping now are the ones that would have been smoking even 5 or 10 years ago
Yep, instead of smoking they're trying something that has "Yet" been proven to be harmful. Yes a lot of junk science studies that spew literally what they pulled out of their asses. I consistently cite the Royal Collage of Physicians and insure I point out that they're one of the most respected Medical Science organizations in the world that have been around 500 years. When they state Vaping is at least 95% safe with 5% thrown in for the unknown factor, it puts a halt on the Bullshit. Anyway yes I wish I had an option to Vape instead of smoking when I was a teen.

zeeter

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
True

Andonsider this: I'd rather a teenager vape Fruity Pebbles than smoke anything - I really believe that the kids that are vaping now are the ones that would have been smoking even 5 or 10 years ago

Yet by making these great flavored e-liquids that we all agree are at least 95% safer than cigarettes aren't we removing a bit of the deterrent that prevents kids from smoking now? That is, might we wind up with more kids vaping than we had kids smoking due to the flavors? I mean cigarettes came in two flavors - menthol and regular unless you want to throw in clove, which only people who wanted to be annoying smoked. Now we have all of these delicious flavors out there which we say are nearly harmless.

Yeah, I'm 14 and this isn't a dangerous cigarette, so sure - I'll give it a try.

zeeter

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Yep, instead of smoking they're trying something that has "Yet" been proven to be harmful. Yes a lot of junk science studies that spew literally what they pulled out of their asses. I consistently cite the Royal Collage of Physicians and insure I point out that they're one of the most respected Medical Science organizations in the world that have been around 500 years. When they state Vaping is at least 95% safe with 5% thrown in for the unknown factor, it puts a halt on the Bullshit. Anyway yes I wish I had an option to Vape instead of smoking when I was a teen.

Then someone came out with this "popcorn lung" theory. Sure - PG causes popcorn lung. If all you ever did was breathe PG night and day. Big Tobacco will say just about anything.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Then someone came out with this "popcorn lung" theory. Sure - PG causes popcorn lung. If all you ever did was breathe PG night and day. Big Tobacco will say just about anything.
False, PG doesn't cause Popcorn lung. Fact is Popcorn Lung and Vaping has been debunked.

Additionally PG is pumped through hospital ventilation systems and the Operating Theater for health reasons.

zeeter

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
So why even ban teenagers when they have yet find Vaping is harmful?

This is my personal opinion and feel free to respectfully disagree. I am a true believer in gateways. I believe that *** can lead to stronger drugs. That most people who are on h**oin used *** as their first drug. I would also go on to say that vaping is similar but not the same as smoking. While most of us used vaping to get off of cigarettes, perhaps some kids would use it as a gateway to smoking because they might feel it is the next level of rebellion and coolness.

zeeter

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
False, PG doesn't cause Popcorn lung. Fact is Popcorn Lung and Vaping has been debunked.

Additionally PG is pumped through hospital ventilation systems and the Operating Theater for health reasons.

It was actually Diacetyl, not PG. And it does cause respiratory issues, but like I said, you'd have to be breathing through a Diacetyl machine non stop for a year for it to have any effect. Most flavors have done away with Diacetyl, so it's a moot point.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
This is my personal opinion and feel free to respectfully disagree. I am a true believer in gateways. I believe that *** can lead to stronger drugs. That most people who are on h*roin used *** as their first drug. I would also go on to say that vaping is similar but not the same as smoking. While most of us used vaping to get off of cigarettes, perhaps some kids would use it as a gateway to smoking because they might feel it is the next level of rebellion and coolness.

Saying that vaping is a gateway to smoking is like saying that filet mignon is a gateway to dumpster diving behind McD's. :facepalm:

*** a gateway? Ok... I use pot so I DON'T have drinking dreams, which makes it less like likely that I'll be tempted to drink. Ergo, *** is a gateway OUT of drinking.

Anymore idiotic ideas? Or do you just WANT to do the idiot fascist control-freaks' job for them?

I can't stand the taste of licorice. Therefore LICORICE SHOULD BE BANNED!!!!! :facepalm:

Andria

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

You're working from an assumption, the same one the ANTZ are working from. If there were no candy flavors, say just fruits, bakeries and tobacco flavors, kids would still vape. As noted, they're not doing it for the candy. If they want candy, they'll buy real candy. Also, if people assume they're doing it just because it's candy flavored, they must think they're fucking morons. Really think about how short they're selling teenagers with this stupid notion.

VU Sponsors