Become a Patron!

OBS Crius

Squonk

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Got the velocity deck in today.I'm quite impressed. I'm guessing its the fact that can mount the coils highé than in the traditional deck. whatever it is, I dig it!
That's what I like(or should I say liked) about the Bellus. The Crius has everything I was expecting from the Bellus, unfortunately the Bellus didn't quite deliver. Don't get me wrong, I felt the Bellus was the bees knees when I first got it, but the Crius wasn't available at the time. Now my Bellus just sits because I'm tired of screwing with it when I refill and unless I wick it absolutely perfect it leaks only a little on refill, but enough to annoy me. Like my dad used to say " The tool should work for you. You shouldn't work for the tool". The Crius is the right tool for the job.

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That's what I like(or should I say liked) about the Bellus. The Crius has everything I was expecting from the Bellus, unfortunately the Bellus didn't quite deliver. Don't get me wrong, I felt the Bellus was the bees knees when I first got it, but the Crius wasn't available at the time. Now my Bellus just sits because I'm tired of screwing with it when I refill and unless I wick it absolutely perfect it leaks only a little on refill, but enough to annoy me. Like my dad used to say " The tool should work for you. You shouldn't work for the tool". The Crius is the right tool for the job.

I just starting using my Bellus last weekend. The first 2 times I wicked it, leaked pretty good (bad) only immediately after filling. I was irritated to say the least. Then I figured what do I have to lose so I rewicked it basically stuffing as much cotton as could fit. I filled the juice channels all the way down to the base. No leaking, not one drop after that. I don't even close the airflow control while filling now. Really liking it, getting more flavor than I do from my Billow V2's. I'm not retiring my Billow V2's yet, but the Bellus is rounding out to be the best $20 I've spent in awhile.

Cheers,
Steve

PaulS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I have no issues with my bellus. I also just rebuilt my aromamizer with a dual .09 build that
I'm vaping at 100 watt on my HCigar VT200. It is marvelous. No leaks ever.

Izen

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Heads up, vapers: Think twice before buying a Crius. Or perhaps any OBS product: OBS Crius problems

OBS' position is reportedly that they will not take care of customers with defective product.
Quite possibly you're assessing the Crius tank unfairly and from a flawed perspective. OBS never claimed the perfect RTL. They've refined the design a number of times and it's only been improved. Maybe there's still more refinement in the works... and if not, it's still pretty good as it is. If yours is un-typically defective, you should address that with your vendor, but I seem to recall, you've done that already.

Last edited:

Squonk

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
MATERIAL Stainless Steel (minor parts may made by non-SS)

Looks like a duck, sounds like a duck but y'all may want to think about that 'non-SS' part of it... Lol, must be something better than Stainless Steel. :)
Says the same for the authentic and pretty much all tanks they list. I wouldn't let that stop you from trying it. I'll probably get two for my son and I. https://www.fasttech.com/product/3796200

skiball

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
MATERIAL Stainless Steel (minor parts may made by non-SS)

Looks like a duck, sounds like a duck but y'all may want to think about that 'non-SS' part of it... Lol, must be something better than Stainless Steel. :)
Every tank has non ss pasts e.g. glass insulators.

Izen

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Says the same for the authentic and pretty much all tanks they list. I wouldn't let that stop you from trying it. I'll probably get two for my son and I. https://www.fasttech.com/product/3796200
I never read the fine print for the Crius. Good to know. Thanks. I've always been cautious of the metals that I vape from so I appreciate the heads-up.

skiball

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I'll def post a review when I get mine. I just have a feeling I'll really like it for vape easy to build but.... My bellus I think will still be better as in durablity the way the base sits in than the ring screws around it. There's no way it will ever strip.

Squonk

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I never read the fine print for the Crius. Good to know. Thanks. I've always been cautious of the metals that I vape from so I appreciate the heads-up.
If you do end up buying any clone, make sure you clean the living daylights out of it. The non SS may be shavings and machine oil.;)

Izen

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
If you do end up buying any clone, make sure you clean the living daylights out of it. The non SS may be shavings and machine oil.;)
Nah, for sure won't be buying one. I've sold all my tanks (not that there were many) in favor of RDA's only. I like 'em far more, but I do clean the sh%t out of everything. I also take a magnifying loupe (my old eyes need the help) to check for burrs or loose shavings and I do clean everything up.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Coupon code "XMAS" for 5% off.
Thanks for reminding! I subscribed for their emails. Since I wanted some more drip tips, I went ahead and ordered. Will probably be here next year! :) sounds like a long time.

TheVapingDevil

`Vape It All Up!!!!!!
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Vape Media
I'll try that. Might need to get some nylon tipped pliers or something

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Prob not great idea. I tried that and broke the tank. It's too hard to determine how much pressure you have applied. Mine were real tight at first. Running them under hot water helped to break them loose. Now after a few cleanings they come apart easily

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Best purchase I ever made for tight tanks!

Ack, can't show the link - search ebay for 'vaping pliers'

vuJim

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Quite possibly you're assessing the Crius tank unfairly... .
Quite possibly so. And OBS, as well. But perhaps not. We'll see.

Last edited:

Powerman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
So I got my wire and have built two other tanks. No leaks, it's all good.

So those with DNA 200.... What does your 24g builds look like. I have 8/9 wraps at 0.17 ohm. Wicking is good, plenty of vapor, but it seems cold. I'm using 430 SS and have 120w preheat with a 10 punch for 1.5 seconds. At 550F it still seems underpowered. No real hit from preheat, or heat. All I can compare to is Crown and those settings would be kicking.

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So I got my wire and have built two other tanks. No leaks, it's all good.

So those with DNA 200.... What does your 24g builds look like. I have 8/9 wraps at 0.17 ohm. Wicking is good, plenty of vapor, but it seems cold. I'm using 430 SS and have 120w preheat with a 10 punch for 1.5 seconds. At 550F it still seems underpowered. No real hit from preheat, or heat. All I can compare to is Crown and those settings would be kicking.

I don't have that tank, but I do have Billow V2's and a Bellus I build with UD 316L SS. I've got better results slightly spacing the wraps. My only advice is spacing them and trying different TCR's if spacing doesn't help. I tried them all and for me the 316L I downloaded from steam engine and or just inputting .001 work great. Good luck!

Cheers,
Steve

Edit I'm using 24ga with 7 wraps as I type this. I wasn't happy with my results when I didn't space the coils. Hope some of that helps

Powerman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
What did spacing do for you?

For now I'm trying to work with the TCR for 430. that is 138. I can juke the TCR, or override ohms, but that just shifts the temp range. I bumped preheat to 140w and I'm at 570F now. No burnt hit which is pretty good. Again, it's performing, just doesn't seem like enough power. If I juke TCR, I can maybe do 500F, but in reallity it's just 650. which gets into the realm of defeating the benefits of TC. If more coil is just going to take more power and be a cooler vape, so be it. Just trying to play.

Overall, if it is going to be more power and cooler... it's still nice. More time to temp... it seems slower, which isn't bad. Not an abrupt het and popping and potential burnt hit. Seems to slow things down which is nice.

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
When I tried contact coils a couple times, watching a puff in Escribe my temperature was all over the place. The graph looked like the biggest saw tooth blade you could imagine (it was basically what you said, felt blah). I was getting pretty frustrated, tried different tcr's, same results. So finally I figured why not try spacing the coil and the graph rose to my set temperature and is pretty smooth. I'm not sure why, but I've since built at least 3 different dual coils and all are working great. Since it's working great, I'm not trying to fix it. I've been building coils for years, but who knows maybe on my couple of attempts of SS TC contact coils I messed up. Like I said, spaced are working great for me.

Cheers,
Steve

Powerman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Interesting. Mine jumps around too. I can't fit anymore wraps with 24g though. So if I spaced I would have to drop 1 or 2.

I would have to look at the burn. Contact helps hot spots. And I could see why it would make the reading smoother. As long as no hot spots, then I could see a more consistent power delivery.

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Honestly, I don't understand it either, that's why I tried different TCR's, tried different wattage, raising the temp, etc. Finally out of frustration I slightly spaced the coils and bingo. I wouldn't have mentioned it at all since I don't have that particular atty, but when I read your 1st post it sounded exactly like what I went through. Good luck, I hope you get it sorted.

PS iirc when I tried contact SS the temperature on Escribe seemed to jump immediately to set temp (no way could it have been so fast), then it was all over the place. However with the same contact coils it worked fine in normal power mode. All I could think of was for whatever reason, my contact coils were messing with the chip in TC. I can't give you a good reason as to why.

Cheers,
Steve

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Honestly, I don't understand it either, that's why I tried different TCR's, tried different wattage, raising the temp, etc. Finally out of frustration I slightly spaced the coils and bingo. I wouldn't have mentioned it at all since I don't have that particular atty, but when I read your 1st post it sounded exactly like what I went through. Good luck, I hope you get it sorted.

PS iirc when I tried contact SS the temperature on Escribe seemed to jump immediately to set temp (no way could it have been so fast), then it was all over the place. However with the same contact coils it worked fine in normal power mode. All I could think of was for whatever reason, my contact coils were messing with the chip in TC. I can't give you a good reason as to why.

Cheers,
Steve
Do you use a set tcr or a curve?
For the longest time I was using 0.00105 as a tcr for ss(I know wrong one but it worked well from evolv)
Yesterday I saw a file from mikesully here gave me a .csv file and the damn thing has been flawless. Im digging it about the same.
http://www.filedropper.com/dna200-ud-ss316ldjaquithv4

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Do you use a set tcr or a curve?
For the longest time I was using 0.00105 as a tcr for ss(I know wrong one but it worked well from evolv)
Yesterday someone here gave me a .csv file and the damn thing has been flawless with contact coils as builds.

I tried both. First the curves I downloaded from steam engine (I tried all the SS ones because of the problems I was having). Then I tried just inputting .001. Nothing was working properly for me until I spaced the coils (I'm talking barely spaced, as tight as they could be and still not be touching). After that the 316L curve and .001 both work great. I'm currently using the curve. Like I said, I'm at a loss as to why.

Cheers,
Steve

Mykline

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Cheers,
Steve
When you use a contact coil you don't get a constant resistance across the coil so in TC mode the chip gets confused. In a spaced coil you get a constant resistance reading across the coil and TC works fine. Doesn't make a difference whether you are using nickel or SS you have to make spaced coils. Just my .02 cents worth.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
When you use a contact coil you don't get a constant resistance across the coil so in TC mode the chip gets confused. In a spaced coil you get a constant resistance reading across the coil and TC works fine. Doesn't make a difference whether you are using nickel or SS you have to make spaced coils. Just my .02 cents worth.

That's what I'm finding as well. I space all my TC coils (Ni200, Ti1, and now SS). All work great as long as I space them. I was just under the impression SS didn't need to be spaced, but for me, that wasn't the case. Thanks for chiming in @Mykline. I was starting to think I was losing my mind lol :D

Cheers,
Steve

Last edited:

Powerman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Ya, I thinking some more... As the coil heats I can see current jumping to other lower resistance wraps. Resistance would go up overall, but jump around in the meantime.

Watching the burn, my coils heat up nice and even with no hot spots. Inside out as well. I think that is more desirable.

So if it really throws off TC and doesn't allow enough power to go that's one thing. But it seems to me the heat up and resistance rise would not register as it should. Meaning I think it would allow more power to be applied than needed by not seeing higher resistance wraps. I don't know.

So TC and power/temp moves around a bit, but the burn the coil heats evenly and steady. I guess I'm going to have to make a spaced coil and find out.

Also, I want to try twisted, and I figured that would have to be spaced. But it session twisted could have the same issues as contact

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee

That's what I'm finding as well. I space all my TC coils (Ni200, Ti1, and now SS). All work great as long as I space them. I was just under the impression SS didn't need to be spaced, but for me, that wasn't the case. Thanks for chiming in @Mykline. I was starting to think I was losing my mind lol :D

Cheers,
Steve
IMO, the spaced coil also gives a bit more vapor. I'm seeing myself building more spaced coils lately.

Powerman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
So I built 2 of my Crius, all perform great. No leaks. In fact, the one I have been using I think did have some small seepage. These others... so far... not even a film. And while I am still trying to get my coils down in SS with TC.... one wasn't acting right. So I just went to power mode and 60w on max VG and it was good to go. I'm pretty sure I'm pushing it. I'm not taking real long pulls. But regardless, 60w gives plenty of vapor and flavor. I'm diggin' it.

Markw4mms

#Team Jimi Supporter
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Ok, got my pair of Crius' in today, and all I can say is WOW! I used the coils that came with it, and it came out at .3 ohms. Running them at 25 watts, and it produces clouds that rival my RDA's. Also, as best as I could tell with my poor eyes, no chips on the insulators, no leaks at all so far! :)

TheVapingDevil

`Vape It All Up!!!!!!
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Vape Media
Ok, got my pair of Crius' in today, and all I can say is WOW! I used the coils that came with it, and it came out at .3 ohms. Running them at 25 watts, and it produces clouds that rival my RDA's. Also, as best as I could tell with my poor eyes, no chips on the insulators, no leaks at all so far! :)
Told ya man you would love it

TheVapingDevil

`Vape It All Up!!!!!!
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Vape Media
It is a very direct hit for sure. I'm
Loving ss TC Vape on mine right now lolol

VU Sponsors