Become a Patron!

Old Pharts Club

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Good lord, if my memory serves me correct, I think the last time I was in Canada, the damn Marlboros were about 15 bucks a pack, and I was dumb enough to buy a few packs, to hold me over till the fishing trip ended.
Back in 1971, when I came back to the states from England, I paid $1.90/carton for Camels at the BX (no tax, so 19 cents/pack) and the Brits were paying $6-8/pack (all tax because the same ship brought cigs to us and them). I wonder what those poor folks are paying today......

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Then that would be $80/carton, though the carton is usually somewhat less than 10 single packs...
I'm not sure...I would just buy a pack every morning on the way to work or my way home. Hell, now I don't even vape much. A 30ml bottle will last a few weeks. Went back to tight draw, low power. Tastes so much better.

I went to Florida a few months ago, didn't vape at all, didn't bother me in the least.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Let's do some math: Given that Lannie and I were both consuming five cartons each per month just before we started vaping, and the current price of cigarettes here in South Dakota, if purchased at Walmart or a grocery store, is about $60/carton, that would mean that, on a cigarette budget, we should be able to spend $600/month on vape gear. So your 3.5 years would equal over $25,000 in cigarettes. Anything less than that spent on vape gear, I would be patting myself on the back. Now, reality: We currently spend an average of maybe $50/month on flavors, VG, PG, accessories, so we should be wealthy with all the money saved, right? Nope. Cost of gas and food, taxes, etc., has gone up so much that we still have no savings.
How true that is Rich the greed in this country is out of hand and when SS is your only income it doesn't leave much for the vape budget.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Back in 1971, when I came back to the states from England, I paid $1.90/carton for Camels at the BX (no tax, so 19 cents/pack) and the Brits were paying $6-8/pack (all tax because the same ship brought cigs to us and them). I wonder what those poor folks are paying today......
I believe I read they are incredibly high priced now. Perhaps close to 20 bucks a pack???

At least they are encouraging vaping in EU, unlike our corrupt gov

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Good lord, if my memory serves me correct, I think the last time I was in Canada, the damn Marlboros were about 15 bucks a pack, and I was dumb enough to buy a few packs, to hold me over till the fishing trip ended.
Ouch

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
A 30ml bottle will last a few weeks. Went back to tight draw, low power. Tastes so much better.
That's about where I am, 3-4mL/day, so at max, I am using about 30mL/week. And I vape between 5-12W and am perfectly happy.
At least they are encouraging vaping in EU, unlike our corrupt gov
Well, all of our congress swamp creatures (both sides of the aisle) are owned by either Big Pharma or Big Tobacco. In either case, no one has any intention of doing what is good for the citizens - they only do what fattens their wallets.

Lannie

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I'm just gutted about losing Tigger. Rich, too. God, both of us were sobbing. Here's a couple of pictures from last week. He was the center of our kitty family.

Here he is, in front, having his face washed by his girl Twinkie (in the middle), and Twinkie's daughter Xena in the back. All of them on Rich's computer chair.
05-05-18 Kitties 01.jpg

And napping with his little buddy, Teddy. Teddy is our youngest, one of the kittens born in the garage last summer. Those two boys were inseparable, always wrestling with each other, or napping...
05-05-18 Tigger and Teddy.jpg

Everyone is feeling the loss of him, people and critters alike. :(

Artemis

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I'm just gutted about losing Tigger. Rich, too. God, both of us were sobbing. Here's a couple of pictures from last week. He was the center of our kitty family.

Here he is, in front, having his face washed by his girl Twinkie (in the middle), and Twinkie's daughter Xena in the back. All of them on Rich's computer chair.
View attachment 111384

And napping with his little buddy, Teddy. Teddy is our youngest, one of the kittens born in the garage last summer. Those two boys were inseparable, always wrestling with each other, or napping...
View attachment 111385

Everyone is feeling the loss of him, people and critters alike. :(
Sorry to hear this. My cats are family too! Take care!

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hmm From the article about Wet lung and the 18 yr old...

Experts say it's likely that chemicals in e-cigarettes led to the lung inflammation, which triggered the patient's response.

When I started vaping I had the same response, did not get to the get me down state but had I not found 1 ejuice I could vape I would still be smoking. It was Clayton Tobacco flavored ejuice 100% PG from a gas station :) Some tobacco shops also carried it.

Some ingredient(s) in most commercial ejuice and 3/4 of the flavorings I have tried cause me oral, throat and lung irritation.
I have learned that the early warning symptom is tingly lips.

Why I have been 100% DIY for over 3 years.

Vaping does not work the same for everyone and the common advice of it is just your lungs clearing up from smoking is not always accurate.
It CAN be from them getting inflamed from vaping.

also I have no other known allergies. heck Poison Ivy does not even bother me.
In the not too distant future it will be discovered by the experts that certain contents of ejuice pose a risk to some vapers.
And I am not talking Diacetyl, etc I am talking flavorings or artificial sweeteners.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
@The Cromwell I would think that stevia could cause problems for some people - those who are allergic to mint, for example. Apparently those two things are in the same plant family and I personally know someone who has that situation with stevia.

I've wondered about this DIYFS peanut butter flavoring. I swear I think it's natural, tastes exactly like natural peanut butter, so that leads me to believe that it could cause an anaphylactic reaction in a person who's highly allergic to peanuts. Then you have flavors like coconut, which can cause reactions in people who have allergies to tree nuts, if the flavoring has any natural components in it.

I get what you're saying and it makes sense to me.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Good early evening, Jane....hope you had a fantastic day....like Bob did.....:giggle:

Actually it sounds like we may have been having a similar day. The rain here is apparently unending. My husband came through a downpour on his way home that really shook him - and he drove in that for a solid hour. By the time I got close to home, most of that particular band had moved on through, but now, it's pouring rain out there again. There is standing water everywhere, including in roads, and driving was an adventure.

I was just glad for it to be Friday.

Planning to watch Harry's wedding in the morning, as early as I can drag myself out of bed, and feel fairly certain I'll be staying inside this weekend. Weather is supposed to be terrible all weekend long.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@The Cromwell I would think that stevia could cause problems for some people - those who are allergic to mint, for example. Apparently those two things are in the same plant family and I personally know someone who has that situation with stevia.

I've wondered about this DIYFS peanut butter flavoring. I swear I think it's natural, tastes exactly like natural peanut butter, so that leads me to believe that it could cause an anaphylactic reaction in a person who's highly allergic to peanuts. Then you have flavors like coconut, which can cause reactions in people who have allergies to tree nuts, if the flavoring has any natural components in it.

I get what you're saying and it makes sense to me.

I get bad reactions to all artificial sweeteners that I have tried.
Stevia is fine with me though have used it for 3+ years now.
I have only used the NuNaturals liquid Clear NuStevia though.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Hey Crom, I got a lawn mower question that I think you can answer (given that you have been fixin' this crap for many years). This is about the TroyBilt I bought two years ago and which, right after the warranty expired, had to be put in the shop to have the piston rings replaced. Now, one more year later...

Mowing yesterday and everything was running fine. Suddenly the RPM dropped radically, so my first instinct was to kill the deck so the engine didn't stall. It kept running, but the throttle control seemed to not change the engine RPM at all. I managed to limp back to the shop and park it. Today, I checked the carb for fuel flow - no problems. I checked the air filter and the intake into the carb - no identifiable issues. I started it and used some carb cleaner spray. That had no effect. I pulled the spark plug. It was a new plug last summer, but was slightly fouled. I cleaned it and checked the gap and put it back in. Started the mower and.... no change. Other than in choke mode, the throttle control does not appreciably change the engine RPM, and the RPM does not get high enough to engage the deck without killing the engine. No sticks stuck in deck. The throttle cable is not pulled loose from the carb.

Got any brilliant ideas?

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Crud in the Carb would be my first thing to check.
If OHV Briggs maybe a valve issue?

Will the engine pick up power and speed if the choke is partially closed?
If so it indicates probable crud in carb.
Also check for tightness of carb mounting bolts and such could be a vacuum leak between carb and engine.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Crud in the Carb would be my first thing to check.
If OHV Briggs maybe a valve issue?
Will the engine pick up power and speed if the choke is partially closed?
If so it indicates probable crud in carb.
Also check for tightness of carb mounting bolts and such could be a vacuum leak between carb and engine.
I think it is a Briggs, but to be honest, I did not pay attention to any writing on it. (bad dawg)
Engine does not pickup up any speed with choke partially closed and wants to die fully closed.
There was a thin black film in the carb intake throat, but wiped off very easily. The filter is clean, The carb cleaner spray did nothing.
I tried to wiggle the carb body to see if I had an air leak, but it didn't budge.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think it is a Briggs, but to be honest, I did not pay attention to any writing on it. (bad dawg)
Engine does not pickup up any speed with choke partially closed and wants to die fully closed.
There was a thin black film in the carb intake throat, but wiped off very easily. The filter is clean, The carb cleaner spray did nothing.
I tried to wiggle the carb body to see if I had an air leak, but it didn't budge.
Spraying carb spray down the throat of the carb seldom works.
Disassembly and cleaning is almost always required.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Is your cable actually working the arm on the carb?

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
One question I have for you all is, how many mods/tanks do you all have anyhow?
I have three mods (Revenger x, obs bat, and xpriv) and five tanks (zesthia, bachelor x, advken dominator, smok prince, and vaporesso NRG)
Mods: 12, but only 9 functional and all those in use
Tanks: 15 or 16 (not counting the 20 or so really small and cheap ones in a drawer that I use to PIF to new users I meet)
Most mods and tanks were either won in contests, PIF'd to me by people who no longer wanted them, or were really cheap
Had I bought all this junk, I'd probably only have three mods and three tanks, all Clouper mini mods with Kanger Protank II tanks. I need nothing more.

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I've spent money on all my mods, including the one I used a won store credit on. I could not resist a flash sale for $48 off on a squonker, so that will be my first one. That will put me at having 5 mods, only 3 of which won't have pre-installed batteries.
Same here.. the only ones I’ve spent money on was the Revenger kit (w NRG tank), zesthia, and advken dominator..

choderfett

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've spent money on all my mods, including the one I used a won store credit on. I could not resist a flash sale for $48 off on a squonker, so that will be my first one. That will put me at having 5 mods, only 3 of which won't have pre-installed batteries.
Which sqounker is that?

VU Sponsors