Become a Patron!

Old Pharts Club

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Landed in Houston on business once. Not nice, even though the Hobby Hilton was decent.. Then drove about 60 miles south to a town named Clute (that's where the vendor was I needed to talk to). They are about one spit from the Gulf. Damn, that was miserable.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
South Dakota. Can't say I love it here either because sometimes in summer, we get Gulf air pushed up the wide open prairie, which makes our 105F in July/August feel like 150. That sucks. Thunderstorms, however, make you even wetter, but it least that wet is cooler.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
South Dakota. Can't say I love it here either because sometimes in summer, we get Gulf air pushed up the wide open prairie, which makes our 105F in July/August feel like 150. That sucks. Thunderstorms, however, make you even wetter, but it least that wet is cooler.
Hard to find a perfect location, or everyone would be there....I'm settling for Ecuador...76 degrees year round (just) about perfect. My house should be completed in a couple more weeks.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Almost on the equator, so that uniform moderate temperature must be attributed to altitude. How high up is your little farm? I only know enough Spanish to get my face slapped (no habla espanol - did I even spell that right?) or I might be down there too. I am rather fond of the archaeological sites of Peru and would love to spend my final days crawling around the Andes.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Almost on the equator, so that uniform moderate temperature must be attributed to altitude. How high up is your little farm? I only know enough Spanish to get my face slapped (no habla espanol - did I even spell that right?) or I might be down there too. I am rather fond of the archaeological sites of Peru and would love to spend my final days crawling around the Andes.
I'm at about 4,000 ft....kind of a high desert climate....toward the south of the equator.

Artemis

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hard to find a perfect location, or everyone would be there....I'm settling for Ecuador...76 degrees year round (just) about perfect. My house should be completed in a couple more weeks.
Sounds like utopia. How is the cost of living down there?
I would be happy living in Kansas or Missouri but only if I had a earth shelter house.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I'm at about 4,000 ft....kind of a high desert climate....toward the south of the equator.
Perfect altitude. I am currently at 3,000 feet and am perfectly comfortable anywhere from sea level up to about 10,000 feet (air is thinner, but I adapt quickly). At 12,000 I start moving a lot slower. :)
I would be happy living in Kansas or Missouri but only if I had a earth shelter house.
I think it would be really neat to live in one of those Hobbit houses.

Artemis

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
You can live well on just social security there...I know several expats who do just that.
I have no idea what we are going to do when we can no longer work. The taxes here in SE WI are high we will be forced to move south.

Perfect altitude. I am currently at 3,000 feet and am perfectly comfortable anywhere from sea level up to about 10,000 feet (air is thinner, but I adapt quickly). At 12,000 I start moving a lot slower. :)

I think it would be really neat to live in one of those Hobbit houses.
Sounds cool but I want a real roof and a front of house. Escape route as well. :)

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
About any time Dale what all do you need to go there?
Need my house finished first.....:giggle:

The GF keep making change orders....it's been going on for awhile now. I was supposed to head there today, but had to watch my grandson play baseball....he'll prolly hit the big leagues one day.

SO....I'm flying down in a couple weeks to put the hammer down...(no pun)

Artemis

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
A friend of mine has an earth shelter house here and sold it to move to Missouri.
We looked at a few back in the late 80's in SW MO and they were poorly constructed. No building codes in certain areas which means anything can fly. If we did anything like a earth shelter it would also have to be self contained/generate power and off the grid. I don't know if the hubs can handle doing it again. He built one house by himself when I first met him. The second house turned into a nightmare. This house we ended up just being the contractor and subbing most of the work.

I'm so tired and really didn't do much today. Start on the floor training tomorrow. Anyways, have a good night!

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I'm heading to bed too...LONG flight...LONG DAY....:)

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Good luck, Sandi...yak at you tomorrow night.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
We looked at a few back in the late 80's in SW MO and they were poorly constructed. No building codes in certain areas which means anything can fly. If we did anything like a earth shelter it would also have to be self contained/generate power and off the grid. I don't know if the hubs can handle doing it again. He built one house by himself when I first met him. The second house turned into a nightmare. This house we ended up just being the contractor and subbing most of the work.

I'm so tired and really didn't do much today. Start on the floor training tomorrow. Anyways, have a good night!
My friend built his himself and did it up to code it was always cool in the summer and warm in the winter but he didn't have solar pannels or anything to give him off grid

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Oh and good night my friend

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Well, guess it is time for me to put my head on the pillow and snuggle Teddy (he's such a loving kitty). BS with you bunch tomorrow.
Hogs & Quiches

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Well looks like everyone has gone to bed so I'm agonna shut off the light
Good night my friends

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Hi Dale! Funny, I was just sitting here staring at the page, noting that no one has posted squat since last night, and POOF! You show up.
Awesome. Hope we aren't the only ones...

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Went fishing today, only thing I got was sunBURN.....:crazy:

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I am here.
Just been a bit down over things like the loss of my best furry buddy....
So sorry to hear that, Crom. Obviously the vet couldn't fix the problem. Sometimes (for me anyway, being a cataholic), losing a furry friend is harder on me than a human I have known for the same length of time. I know that probably makes me look callous to some, but, in general, I prefer cats to people. I grieve with you.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So sorry to hear that, Crom. Obviously the vet couldn't fix the problem. Sometimes (for me anyway, being a cataholic), losing a furry friend is harder on me than a human I have known for the same length of time. I know that probably makes me look callous to some, but, in general, I prefer cats to people. I grieve with you.
Could not find him to take him to the vet. Looked everywhere for days....

VU Sponsors